What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2009 defensive coaching staffs and base defensive schemes (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
2008 thread can be found here.

Current situation in the codebox below. We'll update and speculate whenever any major news hits.

:thumbup:

Code:
BASE DEFENSE 4-3			CIN, HOU, TEN, NYG, OAK, PHI, WAS, SEA, ATL, CAR, DET, TB4-3/Tampa-2	IND, MIN, CHI, BUF3-4 		   CLE, NE, SD, PIT, DAL, MIA, GB, SF, ARI, KC, DEN	***1-gap/2-gap notations on the 3-4 teams are the favored front, most teams are using a lot of 1-gap nowMult Front	 BAL, NYJ, JAX, NOAFC EastBUF	**** Jauron/Perry Fewell	 	4-3, some Tampa-2	MIA	Tony Sparano/Paul Pasqualoni	 3-4 (2-gap leaning)NE	 Bill Belichick/Dean Pees		 Multiple front, leaning 4-3 (2-gap leaning 3-4)NYJ	REX RYAN/MIKE PETTINE			Multiple front, leaning 3-4AFC NorthBAL	John Harbaugh/GREG MATTISON (VIC FANGIO)  Multiple front, leaning 4-3CIN	Marvin Lewis/Mike Zimmer				  4-3	CLE	ERIC MANGINI/ROB RYAN					 3-4 (lean 2-gap)PIT	Mike Tomlin/**** LeBeau				   3-4 (lean 2-gap)AFC SouthHOU	Gary Kubiak/FRANK BUSH		   4-3, rare 46IND	JIM CALDWELL/LARRY COYER		 4-3 (Tampa-2)JAX	Jack Del Rio/MEL TUCKER		  Multiple front, 3-4/4-3 splitTEN	Jeff Fisher/CHUCK CECIL		  4-3AFC WestDEN	JOSH MCDANIELS/MIKE NOLAN			 hybrid 3-4 (1-gap), predominantly 3-4KC	 TODD HALEY/CLANCY PENDERGAST		  hybrid 3-4 (1-gap), predominantly 3-4OAK	TOM CABLE/JOHN MARSHALL			   4-3SD	 Norv Turner/Ron Rivera				3-4 (1-gap)NFC EastDAL	Wade Phillips/WADE PHILLIPS				  3-4 (1-gap), some 46NYG	Tom Coughlin/BILL SHERIDAN				   4-3PHI	Andy Reid/SEAN MCDERMOTT (Jim Johnson)	   4-3WAS	Jim Zorn/Greg Blache						 4-3NFC NorthCHI	Lovie Smith/Bob Babich		   4-3 (Tampa-2)DET	JIM SCHWARTZ/GUNTHER CUNNINGHAM  4-3GB	 Mike McCarthy/DOM CAPERS		 3-4 (leaning 2-gap)MIN	Brad Childress/Leslie Frazier	4-3, rare Tampa-2NFC SouthATL	Mike Smith/Brian VanGorder	   4-3CAR	John Fox/RON MEEKS			   4-3, some Tampa-2NO	 Sean Payton/GREGG WILLIAMS	   4-3, some 3-4 TAM	RAHEEM MORRIS/JIM BATES		  4-3 (Tampa-2 later in season)NFC WestARI	Ken Whisenhunt/BILL DAVIS			 3-4 (leaning 2-gap)STL	STEVE SPAGNUOLO/KEN FLAJOLE		   4-3 SF	 Mike Singletary/Greg Manusky		  3-4, rare 4-3 (1-gap)SEA	JIM MORA/GUS BRADLEY				  4-3, some Tampa-2**Changes in CAPS

Last edited by a moderator:
The league is getting a quick start on their offseason. So must we.

The Bucs have already announced that former DB coach Raheem Morris will take over for Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator. He'll likely keep many of Kiffin's coverage concepts, but we could see the trend of less Tampa-2/more aggressiveness in the front seven continue to bleed into the Buccaneer gameplans next season. And there are no guarantees that Jon Gruden stays as head coach, which could affect the defensive playcalling as well.

ESPN is also reporting that both Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel are out in Cleveland. High likelihood of a new scheme there.

Plenty of coaches on the hot seat and a number of defensive coordinators (both Ryan brothers, Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Greg Blache, Leslie Frazier) are reportedly in line for interviews.

Should be an interesting month.

Also of note Singletary is no longer interim HC in SF. I'm wondering if we'll see a new DC there, and if so, if it's Ryan from OAK.

Eric Mangini and Rod Marinelli now out as well.

Could be interesting for guys like David Harris, Ernie Sims and Jordon Dizon among others.

Look for N.Y. Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo and his multiple blitz packages to fill a HC vacancies once all the dust settles on who's in and who's out.

Gray the first candidate for Lions job

Was curious how close Jerry Gray and Detroit GM Martin Mayhew were. Gray and Mayhew (both CBs) played together for one season at Tampa Bay back in 1993, (before Dungy/Kiffin). Suspected Mayhew might push for Gray as a DC, ya never know if this is serious or a professional courtesy among friends. One thing for sure, they'll have the minority candidiate interview covered.

Like the promotion of Mayhew to GM. :thumbup:

What ya think Tony?

Gray the first candidate for Lions job

Was curious how close Jerry Gray and Detroit GM Martin Mayhew were. Gray and Mayhew (both CBs) played together for one season at Tampa Bay back in 1993, (before Dungy/Kiffin). Suspected Mayhew might push for Gray as a DC, ya never know if this is serious or a professional courtesy among friends. One thing for sure, they'll have the minority candidiate interview covered.

Like the promotion of Mayhew to GM. :hot:

What ya think Tony?
:coffee:

I could see Scott Pioli and Josh McDaniels ending up in Cleveland, maybe Romeo staying on as DC? You have to think the Browns want a HC from the O side after no offensive TDs in six games... thats crazy. :rolleyes:

The league is getting a quick start on their offseason. So must we.The Bucs have already announced that former DB coach Raheem Morris will take over for Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator. He'll likely keep many of Kiffin's coverage concepts, but we could see the trend of less Tampa-2/more aggressiveness in the front seven continue to bleed into the Buccaneer gameplans next season. And there are no guarantees that Jon Gruden stays as head coach, which could affect the defensive playcalling as well.ESPN is also reporting that both Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel are out in Cleveland. High likelihood of a new scheme there.Plenty of coaches on the hot seat and a number of defensive coordinators (both Ryan brothers, Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Greg Blache, Leslie Frazier) are reportedly in line for interviews.Should be an interesting month.
I would have bet that Marinelli would be back with the Bucs as the DC. If Gruden is out, could he get a shot as the HC?

The Bucs have already announced that former DB coach Raheem Morris will take over for Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator. He'll likely keep many of Kiffin's coverage concepts, but we could see the trend of less Tampa-2/more aggressiveness in the front seven continue to bleed into the Buccaneer gameplans next season. And there are no guarantees that Jon Gruden stays as head coach, which could affect the defensive playcalling as well.

ESPN is also reporting that both Phil Savage and Romeo Crennel are out in Cleveland. High likelihood of a new scheme there.

Plenty of coaches on the hot seat and a number of defensive coordinators (both Ryan brothers, Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Greg Blache, Leslie Frazier) are reportedly in line for interviews.

I would have bet that Marinelli would be back with the Bucs as the DC. If Gruden is out, could he get a shot as the HC?
With a 0-16 on his resume, doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if Gruden gets a pink slip.

Looks to me like Greg Blache is a lock to return as the Redskins' DC next year. I've seen his name mentioned as a potential interviewee in Cleveland, but that looks like a purely Rooney Rule interview if it happens as Blache doesn't seem like he'd want to be a head coach (he was set to retire last year until Gregg Williams was shown the door) and he seems no better qualified than Crennel did. That defense overachieved all year under him, so the 'Skins definitely want him to return.

Martin Mayhew said in his press conference that he wants the Lions defense to be bigger and more physical because he got sick of them being pushed around.

With a 0-16 on his resume, doubt it. Wouldn't be surprised if Gruden gets a pink slip.
I don't think the 0-16 season kills Marinelli as a coordinator candidate, but I don't think he'll get a job right away. There's a lot of blame to go around there, but Millen was a complete idiot, and spent few picks on the D, preferring to take WR's.Hmm, Lions want a bigger more physical defense - could've used Rogers, I guess. :hophead:

I don't think the 0-16 season kills Marinelli as a coordinator candidate, but I don't think he'll get a job right away. There's a lot of blame to go around there, but Millen was a complete idiot, and spent few picks on the D, preferring to take WR's.Hmm, Lions want a bigger more physical defense - could've used Rogers, I guess. :goodposting:
No... 0-16 shouldn't hurt his DC future, doubt it... was in reference to "a shot as the HC".

I don't think the 0-16 season kills Marinelli as a coordinator candidate, but I don't think he'll get a job right away. There's a lot of blame to go around there, but Millen was a complete idiot, and spent few picks on the D, preferring to take WR's.Hmm, Lions want a bigger more physical defense - could've used Rogers, I guess. :thumbup:
We could have used Rogers here if he would have played hard every game. But he didn't, plus he was a cancer in the locker room. He had to go.

The Packers fired Defensive Coordinator Bob Sanders and four other defensive assistants.

DE coach Carl Hairston

DT coach Robert Nunn

Secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer

Defensive nickel package/cornerbacks coach Lionel Washington

Strength and conditioning coordinator Rock Gullickson

When the music stopped, LB Coach Winston Moss and Defense Quality Control coach Joe Whitt Jr. were the only defensive coachs left with a chair.

St. Louis plans to interview Moss for their vacant head coaching position, but with not even a coordinator gig on his resume, he's a long shot at best.

Moss may be the leading candidate for the Packers DC job, but... Ex Niner HC Mike Nolan has ties with McCarthy and could be brought in. Keep an eye on this one, a hybrid scheme or a switch to a 3-4 base may be in the future.

First post updated with the Packers and Browns news.

Bob Sanders was the lone remaining coordinator that was influenced by the Jimmy Johnson/Jim Bates school of 4-3 defense. That isn't great news for Nick Barnett, but the so-so play of the Packer defensive tackles probably make it a net wash anyway.

The Eric Mangini-Rob Ryan pairing will be interesting. Odds are on Cleveland sticking with a 3-4 at this point -- Ryan tried to shoehorn a 3-4 early in his time in Oakland and, like Mangini, has experience with the Belichick 3-4 playbook. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say in their opening press conferences.

The Eric Mangini-Rob Ryan pairing will be interesting. Odds are on Cleveland sticking with a 3-4 at this point -- Ryan tried to shoehorn a 3-4 early in his time in Oakland and, like Mangini, has experience with the Belichick 3-4 playbook. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say in their opening press conferences.
Browns will remain a 3-4 front. Interested in hiring Ryan, but it's not confirmed.Mangini's quotes from a live blog during the press conferences today:

Open-minded to play a 4-3? "No."

He says he talked to Romeo Crennel last night and wants him to stay.

Wants to retain the 3-4. "I've been attached to it a long time. Likes to form 4-3 concepts out of the base 3-4 front. You're not married to the concept of always adjusting the defensive line. I believe in it and think it's an outstanding system."

Brian Daboll and Rob Ryan as coordinators? "I will talk to them first and would really like to have them in those roles, but nothing's set in stone. I want to meet with the coaches on the old staff first."

Plenty of speculation out of Green Bay (and among ESPN writers) that McCarthy wants Mike Nolan as his DC and that such a hiring would mean a switch (potentially immediately) to a 3-4 or some hybrid front scheme. If the Packers do hire Nolan and move toward a 3-4, it won't be good news for Aaron Kampman. Could give an interesting bump to AJ Hawk, though, if the Packers elect to use him as the Cardinals did Karlos Dansby, who could also have been slotted inside or outside.

Nolan has certainly shown that he'll fit his scheme to his players rather than forcing a scheme onto his current personnel. His hiring would be something to watch over the longer term, but I don't know that it would mean much for 2009.

Still making my way through this week's news (stupid hard drive crash)...

Saints fired Gary Gibbs. Hard to know what New Orleans might be looking for now. Defensive line coach to improve what became a pretty weak pass rush despite the talent? Secondary coach given the mess they've had there for the past few seasons?

All kinds of big defensive names still floating around this offseason. Plenty of news to come with Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, Gregg Williams, Rex Ryan, Romeo Crennel and many others. As Rozelle noted, Sean McDermott may be an interesting name to watch as well. Could be on the verge of seeing many more aggressive 4-3 schemes over the next two seasons, joining the multiple front trend as the next potential big defensive movements.

Still making my way through this week's news (stupid hard drive crash)...Saints fired Gary Gibbs. Hard to know what New Orleans might be looking for now. Defensive line coach to improve what became a pretty weak pass rush despite the talent? Secondary coach given the mess they've had there for the past few seasons?
Gregg Williams interviewed yesterday, I believe.ETA: saints hired DL coach Bill Johnson, former Denver line coach.according to the T-P, Gregg Williams is the preferred candidate of the front office.

so with the hiring of Crennel and Ryan does that change the perspective on DQ Jackson for 2009? supposedly Mangini runs a very similar defense to what R Crennel did, so DQJ's role could be expected to be same as it was in 2008?

tec

so with the hiring of Crennel and Ryan does that change the perspective on DQ Jackson for 2009? supposedly Mangini runs a very similar defense to what R Crennel did, so DQJ's role could be expected to be same as it was in 2008?tec
Crennel and Mangini both tried to implement the Belichick playbook, at least the 3-4 side of it, since neither used much 4-3. Ryan's attempt at a 3-4 in 2004 wasn't particularly aggressive and neither was his 4-3 in recent seasons. Based on Mangini's press conference comments above, I don't think the defense will look much different.So I think Jackson's outlook is similar for 2009. Much of his value this season came from playing alongside a so-so LILB platoon, being awarded nearly twice as many assisted tackles than most of the backers in the league and above-average tackle opportunity. A change in any of those factors will hurt his numbers, but I think this scheme will be better for his potential production than a move to a 4-3 (where he may have moved to WLB) might have been.

SURPRISE CANDIDATE FOR PACKERS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR JOB

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2009, 7:50 a.m. EST

At a time when it appears that the next defensive coordinator in Green Bay will be former 49ers head coach Mike Nolan or former Jaguars defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that there’s another candidate for the job.

Eagles secondary coach Sean McDermott, per Schefter, is also a leading candidate for the position.

McDermott replaced John Harbaugh who parlayed one year in that position (and several more as special teams coach) into the Ravens head-coaching job. The prior year, McDermott worked for a season as the replacement at linebackers coach to current Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

In all, McDermott has been with the Eagles since 1998.

If McDermott is still under contract with Philly, the Eagles could block the move. If his contract is expiring after the current season ends, he’s free to go.

Seahawks hire Gus Bradley as defensive coordinator.

Bradley comes from the Bucs, where he spent the last three seasons as the linebacker coach, and we'll probably see some speculation that the Seahawks will use more Tampa-2 and zone concepts. Bradley's experience with the Bucs is his only pro experience, however, and it's likely that Jim Mora will have a bigger hand in the Seattle defensive playbook than Bradley. Mora has a history of wanting quick defenders and using aggressive schemes, which doesn't necessarily fit with the Tampa-2 zone concept.

The initial press conference will again be key here. The Seahawks have the defensive line and linebackers to pull off a Tampa-2 type scheme or a more aggressive Mora scheme. Guys like Marcus Trufant and Josh Wilson will probably hold good value in either scheme, but the WLB-to-be-named-later may become a good target, depending on which way Seattle wants to go.

ETA: With Joe Barry also in Seattle now as LB coach, it'll definitely be interesting to see whether Mora or the Tampa-2 guys get to put their stamp on the defensive playbook.

The Bears hired Rod Marinelli as an assistant head coach and defensive line coach.

Probably not much to see here. The Bears line is already playing to its potential (or better) when healthy. It's possible that Marinelli could steer Lovie Smith back to more Tampa-2 concepts, but Smith likes to be aggressive and there's not much more box score production that can be squeezed from Tommie Harris, Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman anyway.

Marinelli in Chicago, however, means that he won't be bringing his Tampa-2 background to a new team.

The National Football Post confirms that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan has officially been hired as the Broncos defensive coordinator.

Reports of Nolan's hiring surfaced early Monday morning, but other sources had Dom Capers as the favorite to land the position. The Broncos will likely switch to a 3-4 defense, which Nolan has run for the majority of his career. | 1/12/2009 10:25:00 AM

Source: National Football Post

The National Football Post confirms that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan has officially been hired as the Broncos defensive coordinator.Reports of Nolan's hiring surfaced early Monday morning, but other sources had Dom Capers as the favorite to land the position. The Broncos will likely switch to a 3-4 defense, which Nolan has run for the majority of his career. | 1/12/2009 10:25:00 AMSource: National Football Post
Nolan may not be in a huge hurry to switch to a 3-4 -- he readily morphed back to a 4-3 in San Francisco when he didn't have the personnel -- but that's probably the way it'll go in the longer term. It'll be his footprint on the defensive playbook for sure; Josh McDaniels is an offensive guy and likely didn't have much of a hand in Nolan's hiring.It'll be interesting to see how the Broncos address the linebacker alignment if they do choose to move toward the 3-4 immediately.

Tony Dungy rumored to be stepping down in Indianapolis, but it's unlikely there'll be any major change in defensive philosophy.

The National Football Post confirms that ex-49ers head coach Mike Nolan has officially been hired as the Broncos defensive coordinator.Reports of Nolan's hiring surfaced early Monday morning, but other sources had Dom Capers as the favorite to land the position. The Broncos will likely switch to a 3-4 defense, which Nolan has run for the majority of his career. | 1/12/2009 10:25:00 AMSource: National Football Post
Nolan may not be in a huge hurry to switch to a 3-4 -- he readily morphed back to a 4-3 in San Francisco when he didn't have the personnel -- but that's probably the way it'll go in the longer term. It'll be his footprint on the defensive playbook for sure; Josh McDaniels is an offensive guy and likely didn't have much of a hand in Nolan's hiring.It'll be interesting to see how the Broncos address the linebacker alignment if they do choose to move toward the 3-4 immediately.
I can see some sort of hybrid for at least the first year. Jene, do you think Jarvis Moss can excel as a rush OLB in 3-4 sets? I think he has the size and athleticism for it and he really hasn't done much as a DE.

I can see some sort of hybrid for at least the first year. Jene, do you think Jarvis Moss can excel as a rush OLB in 3-4 sets? I think he has the size and athleticism for it and he really hasn't done much as a DE.
He could. Had a little success in that role this season and some thought he could fill a 'tweener like role before he was drafted.

He could. Had a little success in that role this season and some thought he could fill a 'tweener like role before he was drafted.
This probably kills Dumerville's value. :confused:

Josh McDaniels today on potential changes to the Denver defensive scheme:

"There's going to have to be decisions made on what we can do in the near future and where we want to go in the long term. But we want to have a consistent scheme," the new Broncos coach said at his introductory news conference Monday.

"As somebody who's played against this team for quite a few years - five or six times in New England - the scheme and the system have changed quite a bit. I want to bring some consistency to that and make sure that we improve whatever that scheme and system is from Day 1 throughout."

There's a strong chance the new Broncos philosophy will include a 3-4 alignment with elements of a 4-3 mixed in, akin to what the Patriots have done in recent years.

"I think it's a good possibility," said Jim Goodman, the Broncos' vice president football operations/personnel.

McDaniels has spoken with Mike Nolan about the possibility of coordinating the defense, and the latter's background fits that mold. Denver previously has made only slight use of 3-4 looks and would have to adjust its personnel significantly, particularly up front, to play that style.

McDaniels said he and Nolan have had "some preliminary conversations." But Nolan has not been offered the job, said McDaniels, who admitted Nolan is "someone I'm very high on and we'll see where it goes. He's a great coach. I know that."

More talks are planned, McDaniels added.

Dom Capers, a 37-year coaching veteran who currently is a Patriots special assistant/secondary coach, also might be a possibility for the staff, but he hasn't yet been contacted.

For his part, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said he'd "be excited" about working again with Nolan, who started his NFL coaching career in Denver (1987 to 1992) as Dan Reeves' linebackers coach before spending 11 years as coordinator and 31/2 more as San Francisco's coach.

"Mike Nolan is somebody that's had an opportunity to work both in a 3-4, 4-3 system and his flexibility, I think, is very desirable," McDaniels said. "He's versatile as a coach. I've coached against him a number of times, and it's something that he can do.

"I don't know where we'll start (schematically). I'm not exactly sure where we're going to end because we're going to have a discussion about that once this thing gets going and we get a defensive coordinator in place. But it certainly is something where we may be able to do some of both, if that's what's most successful for him."

The Texans named senior defensive assistant Frank Bush as the team’s defensive coordinator on Tuesday.

Bush, 46, is entering his 23rd season in the NFL as a player, scout and coach. He spent the previous two seasons working primarily with the Texans' defensive line, including Pro Bowl defensive end Mario Williams.

"There's a sense of continuity," Bush said of his familiarity with the Texans' personnel. "We know these guys. We kind of know which buttons to push. We know what makes them tick. That part will give us a better chance of motivating these guys and getting them to go play.

"I’m excited; I’m extremely excited. It’s a great opportunity to do a big-time job for a big-time team in a big-time city."

This will be the first stint as a defensive coordinator for Bush, who has coached every position group on the defensive side of the ball during his career. He plans to bring a new identity to a Texans defense that has not ranked higher than 24th in the league in takeaways in any of the past four seasons.

"I just want guys that are attacking, that are aggressive, that play with a lot of passion, a lot of emotion and fly around to the football," Bush said. "By doing that, we can create turnovers and we can do some other things that can help our offense get the ball back."

Bush said his first priority will be to simplify the defense so that the team can play faster.

"The faster that we play, the more times that we get big hits," he said. "The more big hits we get, the more times that ball will come out, and that's what we're going to try to do. We want guys to attack and be violent and create turnovers that way."

Bush coached linebackers for the Houston Oilers from 1992-94 and for the Denver Broncos from 1995-99 before assuming the role of secondary coach for the Broncos in 2000. He was the assistant head coach/linebackers for the Arizona Cardinals from 2004-05 and spent three seasons as the special teams coordinator in Denver from 2001-03.

A fifth-round draft pick of the 1985 Oilers as a linebacker from North Carolina State, Bush was named to the NFL all-rookie team but suffered a career-ending injury the next year. He resumed his NFL career as a college scout with the Oilers from 1987-92 before becoming an assistant coach.

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak had spent the previous couple of weeks talking to various coaches and studying the available candidates around the NFL. He filed paperwork seeking to interview Redskins assistant Jerry Gray last week, but the Redskins denied that request. Bush was the only candidate interviewed for the defensive coordinator position.

"Doing my homework, studying the guys that are out there, trying to go through things with (owner) Bob (McNair) and with (general manager) Rick (Smith), all my homework kept coming back to Frank," Kubiak said. "I just think that we've got something started here. We don't want to venture away from our 4-3 scheme and what we're doing.

"I love Frank's ideas and identity and what he sees us being as a defensive football team. I know he's a great teacher and a great motivator and a fit right away with the coaches here. I think we're heading in the right direction, and Frank keeps us heading in that direction."

Texans name Bush defensive coordinator

Seahawks hire Gus Bradley as defensive coordinator.

Bradley comes from the Bucs, where he spent the last three seasons as the linebacker coach, and we'll probably see some speculation that the Seahawks will use more Tampa-2 and zone concepts. Bradley's experience with the Bucs is his only pro experience, however, and it's likely that Jim Mora will have a bigger hand in the Seattle defensive playbook than Bradley. Mora has a history of wanting quick defenders and using aggressive schemes, which doesn't necessarily fit with the Tampa-2 zone concept.

The initial press conference will again be key here. The Seahawks have the defensive line and linebackers to pull off a Tampa-2 type scheme or a more aggressive Mora scheme. Guys like Marcus Trufant and Josh Wilson will probably hold good value in either scheme, but the WLB-to-be-named-later may become a good target, depending on which way Seattle wants to go.

ETA: With Joe Barry also in Seattle now as LB coach, it'll definitely be interesting to see whether Mora or the Tampa-2 guys get to put their stamp on the defensive playbook.
Lots of philosophy (attacking, aggressive, fundamentally sound, fit scheme to players) talk and praise for assistant head coach Dan Quinn and defensive coordinator Gus Bradley today, but nothing specific. Mora did mention that he's interested in pressuring with four and possibly playing some zone behind. Could be a hint that there'll be some Tampa-2 in the mix, but there's still nothing definite after today's press conference.Also, Joe Barry is not a member of Mora's defensive staff.

Although it is not a certainty, the speculation from the local beat writers is that Jim Schwartz is the odds on favorite to be the next Lion's head coach. Personally, I would be very surprised if it doesn't happen.

More to come if and when it happens.

Notes from new Houston DC Frank Bush's press conference:

When Frank Bush was introduced as the Texans’ new defensive coordinator Tuesday, he used words like attack, aggressive and violent while describing his philosophy.

Bush, 46, also mentioned how he has been influenced by some of the defensive coaches he played and worked for — Jerry Glanville (Oilers), Buddy Ryan (Oilers), Greg Robinson (Broncos) and Clancy Pendergast (Cardinals).

“We’re going to be aggressive,” Bush said. “We’re going to attack. You’ll see more passion in our play.”

Bush talked about developing a mindset that will help the players force more turnovers.

“I think the first thing you do is simplify so your guys get faster,” he said. “The faster we play, the more times we get big hits. The more big hits we get, the more times that ball will come out. We want guys to attack and be violent and create turnovers.”

The more Bush talked about what he’ll bring to the Texans’ table, the more fired up middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans got.

“The guys I’ve talked to are excited about Frank getting the job, and I’m excited, too, because, as the play-caller, I’m going to get to work with him the most,” Ryans said. “He’s got an aggressive philosophy. It’s going to be violent. And I love it.

“We don’t want to venture away from our 4-3 scheme and what we’re doing,” Kubiak said. “I love Frank’s ideas and identity and what he sees us being as a defensive team.

It all starts up front with the linemen. They’ll be used differently under Bush.

“We’ll give them a chance to be aggressive at the start of the play,” Bush said. “They’ll be attacking more. They’ll get off the line of scrimmage and up the field. We won’t go sideways.”
I think this is potentially very good news for Amobi Okoye primarily, but it obviously won't hurt the backers or Mario Williams either. Could also be a slight bump to the corners as well.

More on Frank Bush by John McClain / Houston Chronicle...

Commentary: Former colleagues glad for Bush

Arizona defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast was working on his game plan for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against Philadelphia when he found out Frank Bush had been named the Texans’ defensive coordinator.

Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was at home with his family in Virginia when he learned Bush had been promoted from senior defensive assistant.

Bush was linebackers coach and assistant head coach during his three seasons (2004-06) with the Cardinals. He worked closely with Pendergast, who has been their defensive coordinator the last five years.

“I think it’s a great hire, and I’m so happy for Frank,” said Pendergast, who has done an outstanding job with a Cardinals defense that has helped them come within one step of the Super Bowl for the first time. “I’m so happy he’s finally getting this well-deserved opportunity.

“I think Frank will be an excellent coordinator. He’s very organized. He has a great feel for the game. He knows what buttons to push to motivate his players.”

In developing a philosophy that has been influenced by a lot of great defensive coaches, Bush said one of the many things he learned from Pendergast was how to think outside the box.

In other words, don’t be afraid to experiment and take chances.

Playing safe can be dangerous.

Not afraid of new things

“When Frank was here, we weren’t afraid to try different things — different schemes and personnel groupings,” Pendergast said. “We didn’t want to play it safe.

“Frank helped me a lot. He’s creative. He’s got good ideas, and he knows how to implement them in a way the players understand.”

When Williams followed coach Jack Pardee from the University of Houston to the Oilers in 1990, Bush already had been a player and scout with the Oilers for five years. When Bush left the personnel department to coach linebackers, he worked with Williams under defensive coordinators Jim Eddy, Buddy Ryan and Jeff Fisher.

“Frank and I go way back,” said Williams, who has interviewed for defensive coordinator jobs with New Orleans and Green Bay since the season ended. “I watched him go from scouting to coaching, and I’ve seen him rise through the ranks.

“I’m fired up for him. I know he’s going to do a great job with that defense.”

Williams has been a defensive coordinator with the Titans, Redskins and Jaguars and a head coach with the Bills.

With Jacksonville last season, he saw the Texans twice and watched a lot of tape to prepare for them.

“They’ve got a good thing going there, and I think it was a good move for them to promote him,” Williams said. “Frank knows the players, and they know him. He knows their strengths and weaknesses.

“A new coach coming in would have to learn everything that Frank already knows. That’s definitely an advantage for them.”

Pressure in his blood

Williams is known as one of the most aggressive defensive coaches in the league.

Everything he does is built around pressuring the quarterback.

“I’m excited about the style Frank’s going to play because we both come from a pressure background,” Williams said. “Frank played that way as an outside linebacker (under Jerry Glanville). Then he coached that way as an assistant with the Oilers.”

After spending 10 years with the Oilers, Denver coach Mike Shanahan hired Bush to coach linebackers.

In his nine years with the Broncos, Bush won two Super Bowl rings.

“Frank understands every defensive position as well as special teams,” Williams said. “He’s played and coached in a variety of styles. He’s learned from a lot of outstanding defensive coaches.

“Now it’s Frank’s baby, and he’s going to do great. Let me tell you something: There are a lot of coaches around the NFL that are real happy that he’s getting this opportunity.”

Gregg Williams is the new Saints defensive coordinator.

Link

Gregg Williams hired as New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator

Posted by Mike Triplett and Teddy Kider, The Times-Picayune January 15, 2009 9:15AM

The Saints made their first big free agent acquisition of 2009, agreeing to terms with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams on Thursday morning. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

One of the most respected defensive minds in the game and one of the most coveted candidates on the market, Williams will take over a Saints defense that ranked 23rd in the NFL in yards allowed and tied for 26th in points allowed last season.

"A lot has gone into this decision, and we targeted Gregg as the coach we'd like to hire after our first interview because he was so impressive and prepared," Saints Coach Sean Payton said in a statement. "As an offensive coach, I have game-planned against his defenses in the past, and I know the problems they create. He's an aggressive coach, but his units are always sound fundamentally. We have some pieces in place for him to work with, and I know he's excited to get started."

"Gregg is a tremendous addition to our coaching staff," General Manager Mickey Loomis added. "We were looking for a coach with experience, a proven track record of success and a clear philosophy on where the improvements needed to be made on our defense and that process."

Williams, 50, is known for running aggressive, attacking 4-3 schemes that put heavy pressure on opposing quarterbacks. That would make him a perfect fit in New Orleans, where the Saints have struggled to get consistent pressure on the quarterback and force turnovers.

One of his top priorities will be to maximize the talents of defensive ends Will Smith and Charles Grant, both of whom have struggled with injuries and inconsistency since signing hefty long-term contract extensions in the past two years.

Williams built standout defenses as a coordinator with Tennessee from 1997-2000, as a head coach with Buffalo from 2001-2003 and as a coordinator with Washington from 2004-2007. He spent last season with Jacksonville on a one-year contract, but he and the team mutually decided to part ways after a disappointing season, in which the Jaguars finished 5-11 and ranked 17th in the league in total defense.

Williams quickly emerged as the Saints' top candidate after they fired coordinator Gary Gibbs last Wednesday. Williams flew into New Orleans that night and interviewed with the team a day later. Since then, the Saints looked into other possible candidates but kept their primary focus on working out a deal with Williams.

His agent, Marvin Demoff, said last week that Williams did not know Saints Coach Sean Payton very well before the meeting, but that after coming to New Orleans his interest in the job was "definitely stronger."

"He was extremely impressed with everything in the organization, from Sean on Down," Demoff said.

Williams was reportedly on several teams' radar screens. He interviewed last week in Green Bay, and reports out of Tennessee suggested that the Titans would be interested in re-hiring him if they lost current coordinator Jim Schwartz to a head coaching job.

i think the williams signing is a bit of a boon for NO. it's the first established DC we've had in a loooooong time.

Anthony Borbely said:
Although it is not a certainty, the speculation from the local beat writers is that Jim Schwartz is the odds on favorite to be the next Lion's head coach. Personally, I would be very surprised if it doesn't happen.

More to come if and when it happens.
ESPN says it so... NFL Network reporting alsoSchwartz to coach Lions

The Detroit Lions have reached an agreement in principle with Jim Schwartz to become their next head coach, several sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Schwartz, the Tennessee Titans' defensive coordinator for the past eight seasons, has agreed in principle to a four-yeal contract.

On Tuesday, after a second interview with the Lions, Schwartz said the chance to coach the NFL's first 0-16 team motivated him to tackle it and succeed in it.

"I don't shy away from a challenge," Schwartz said earlier this week.

The Lions fired Rod Marinelli after his team made history. Schwartz just finished his 10th season with the Titans.

Before being hired in Tennessee, Schwartz spent three years on the Baltimore Ravens' staff. He also was a college and pro scout for the Cleveland Browns and that experience might be valuable in Detroit.

The Lions have the No. 1 pick in April, along with first- and third-round picks from the Dallas Cowboys, and need to find players to spark a turnaround.

Among other things, the Lions will be counting on Schwartz to come up with ways to improve a defense that ranked last in the league and gave up 517 points -- threatening the NFL record for points allowed (533) in a season set by the 1981 Baltimore Colts.

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen, ESPN NFL reporter Michael Smith and The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Mr. Kuharsky (ESPN) is reporting in his AFC South blog Houston has hired DB coach David Gibbs, son of Houston OL coach Alex Gibbs. Haven't been able to find any other source to confirm. Gibbs is a good hire, he seems to be very good delevoping young DBs. Gibbs may be a hot name for a DC in couple 3-4 years.

January 15, 2009 8:21 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

David Gibbs is the Texans' new secondary coach. He has a deal and things will be finalized by next week.

It's no big surprise as coach Gary Kubiak basically indicated at the recent press conference announcing Frank Bush's promotion to defensive coordinator that Gibbs had an offer.

Now he jumps from Kansas City to Houston, where he replaces Jon Hoke. He's likely to get some new personnel to work with through the draft and free agency.

Cornerback Dunta Robinson is a free agent and the team's top in-house priority. Several other defensive backs are set to become unrestricted free agents on Feb. 27.

The Texans will look to upgrade at safety and corner as well as for defensive line help for Mario Williams.

Gibbs' dad, Alex, coordinates the Texans run game as assistant head coach/offense. It's easy to make cracks about keeping it in the family, but I am told the younger Gibbs is a respected coach who understands how to make the back end of a defense work. He's got seven years of NFL experience with Denver and Kansas City.

However, the Texans still have openings for defensive line coach, strength coach and head trainer, and it would be good if the hires are not related to anyone on the staff and have no connection to the former lives of Kubiak and GM Rick Smith as part of the Denver Broncos.

The only candidate to interview for the D-line job so far that we know of is Rod Marinelli, the recently fired coach of the Detroit Lions. He's since been hired in Chicago as assistant head coach/defensive line.

AFC South blog

Dom Capers hired to run the defense in Green Bay and McCarthy has confirmed that the team will be moving toward a 3-4 front.

* The Packers' starting point will be the 3-4 formation on defense under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers. It creates problems for opposing offenses. The Packers will use both four-man and three-man fronts.

* It was a very difficult decision to fire eight assistant coaches. McCarthy put a lot of time and thought into the decision. It came down to this: he didn't feel they were heading in the right direction. Things that occurred in Year 1 showed up again in Year 3.

* Capers will be a good fit because he brings credibility. He had a thorough interview.

* Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins will fit well in the Packers' new defense.

* One of the priorities was hiring someone with defensive coordinator experience.

* Winston Moss will continue in his position as linebackers coach and assistant head coach.

* It was McCarthy's decision to fire his assistants. He kept Ted Thompson abreast of the situation, but Thompson had no problem changing to the 3-4 defense.
Capers uses a lot of zone blitz out of his 3-4 front and doesn't use as many one-gap alignments as guys like Wade Phillips and Mike Nolan have in recent seasons. Not sure who the Packers will want to use as rush OLBs at this point -- potentially Kampman and Hawk, with plenty of others in the mix -- but this isn't at all good news for Aaron Kampman. Could help Desmond Bishop get his foot in the door as an ILB.The list of stud defensive ends continues to shrink.

In other news...

Steve Spagnuolo in St. Louis could keep OJ Atogwe's tackle numbers high -- it's the scheme of stud FS like Gibril Wilson and Brian Dawkins.

Rex Ryan in New York shouldn't signal big changes. It'll be interesting to see how he uses his safeties without Ed Reed to play centerfield. We should probably be rooting for David Harris to play the weak inside spot, too.

My guess...

LDE - Jolly --- Harrell (if healthy)

NT - Pickett --- Cole

RDE - Jenkins --- Harrell (if healthy)

LOLB - Kampman --- Thompson --- Hunter

LILB - Hawk --- Chillar

RILB - Barnett --- Bishop

ROLB - Poppinga --- Thompson --- Hunter

Peppers (if traded instead of franchised) and (especially) Suggs should receive even more demand with the Pack's move to a 3-4.

Detroit hires Gunther Cunningham...

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- New Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz made his first major staff hire Wednesday, bringing in veteran assistant Gunther Cunningham as defensive coordinator.

The two previously worked together as assistants on Jeff Fisher's staff in Tennessee. Schwartz was defensive coordinator under Fisher this past season, when the Titans posted an NFL-best 13-3 record with a defense that ranked second in points allowed.

Cunningham, a 40-year coaching veteran on the college and pro levels, was Kansas City's head coach from 1999-2000 and the Chiefs' defensive coordinator in 1995-98 and from 2004 through this past season.

He'll set about trying to fix one of the league's worst defenses, one of the big reasons Detroit didn't win a game last season.

Terms of his contract were not disclosed.

Cunningham also has served as an assistant with the Raiders, Chargers and Colts in the NFL and California, Stanford, Arkansas and Oregon in the college ranks.

Cunningham to run Lions' defense

Users who are viewing this thread