What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (1 Viewer)

#13 Alice in Chains - Man in the Box

Another harbinger for the upcoming grunge revolution, we just didn't have a word yet to describe AiC's debut album Face-lift. Metal? Alternative? Whatever we called it, the video for Man in the Box rocked the hell out of MTV when the video dropped in late 1990.
Great song, and I feel like AiC's catalog in general has aged really well.

Another harbinger for the upcoming grunge revolution, we just didn't have a word yet to describe AiC's debut album Face-lift. Metal? Alternative? Whatever we called it, the video for Man in the Box rocked the hell out of MTV when the video dropped in late 1990.

I agree. They still rocks. Their albums are among those that I like to crank up to 11 when working around the house. Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff is really good too, if interested.

Another harbinger for the upcoming grunge revolution, we just didn't have a word yet to describe AiC's debut album Facelift. Metal? Alternative? Whatever we called it, the video for Man in the Box rocked the hell out of MTV when the video dropped in late 1990.
This song seems familiar for some reason. >.>
More seriously, I expected this song to show up, though I couldn't know when you started how high it would rank.

This song seems familiar for some reason. >.>
More seriously, I expected this song to show up, though I couldn't know when you started how high it would rank.
Despite being a 90s music junkie, I was never that big of a grunge guy. Back in the day, I didn't own a single Alice in Chains CD but now I'm much more likely to pull out their records that any of the other bands in their cohort. The unplugged vinyl especially sounds amazing on my setup.

#12 The Black Crowes - Jealous Again

Damn I'm beat. Moved the kid into his freshman dorm yesterday afternoon and flew back from Oakland this morning. The wife started feeling bad on the flight so put on a mask and tested immediately when we got home - positive for COVID. Now she's just hoping she didn't get our son or anyone of his dormmates/their families sick too. Ugh.

Point is, I don't have the energy to write much about The Black Crowes beyond what I covered a couple of weeks ago. Their debut single Jealous Again really was a kick in the pants for stagnant rock radio though. And for the record, She Talks to Angels was released as a single in '91 so will feature if/when I do that countdown.

Damn I'm beat. Moved the kid into his freshman dorm yesterday afternoon and flew back from Oakland this morning. The wife started feeling bad on the flight so put on a mask and tested immediately when we got home - positive for COVID. Now she's just hoping she didn't get our son or anyone of his dormmates/their families sick too. Ugh.

Point is, I don't have the energy to write much about The Black Crowes beyond what I covered a couple of weeks ago. Their debut single Jealous Again really was a kick in the pants for stagnant rock radio though. And for the record, She Talks to Angels was released as a single in '91 so will feature if/when I do that countdown.

Probably my #1 from the album...entire album holds up so well IMHO.

The Black Crowes were the one new rock band of the year that totally knocked my socks off.* 12-13 years later I would see them open for Petty at Merriweather and they crushed. Mellow Tom closed for the Black Crowes that night.

Good luck with the health and please let me know if I can do anything to assist

* having no MTV at the time, I was muy tarde to the Alice In Chains party

Last edited:

3rd for me behind Seeing Things and Sister Luck but all great tunes. One of my all time favorite albums.

#11 A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet in El Segundo (plus a bonus Florida rap anthem)

What a fun song to introduce the world (at least the 99.9 percent of us that didn't buy their debut EP) to A Tribe Called Quest. Every time I hear I Left My Wallet in El Segundo, I find something different to love - today it's Q-Tip's casual dropping of "Ali had the fruit punch."

It seems like a pretty safe assumption that Q-Tip actually thought El Segundo was in Mexico. At the time, I probably did too. Back then, the only times I had ever heard it mentioned was as a running joke on Sanford and Son - "Day's in Paris? Smells more like Nights in El Segundo." Being east coast kids, I'm guessing that's where Tribe's familiarity came from too.

This starts a run of a bunch of convivial tracks (with one exception) to get us to the top 5. Expect more Q-Tip along the way.

And speaking of convivial, there was one particular rap song - definitely not a classic - that could have made it to #1 in September 1990 if BIllboard based its charts on songs blasted out of UF dorm rooms and car windows. Seemed like all of us boys in Graham Hall shared Luther Campbell's disdain for Florida governor Bob Martinez. Copied from Genius:

“#### Martinez” addresses former Florida governor Bob Martinez his wife, and former sheriff of Broward County, Florida, Nick Navarro. Governor Martinez ordered state prosecutors to determine whether or not 2 Live Crew’s prior album As Nasty As They Wanna Be violated Florida obscenity laws. The album was deemed obscene and record store owners were arrested for selling the album, as were members of the group for performing songs from the album in concert. Sheriff Navarro was the arresting officer in all cases, of which they were all eventually acquitted. The actions of Governor Martinez and Sheriff Navarro ultimately led to Banned in the USA becoming the first album with the black & white Parental Advisory sticker on the front that is so common today.

Luther Campbell claimed that he convinced two guys named Martinez and Navarro from his Miami neighborhood to sign a document claiming they were the two being referenced in the song to protect 2 Live Crew from legal liability. Seems a little far-fetched, but funny nonetheless. I give you:

#### Martinez

#11 A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet in El Segundo (plus a bonus Florida rap anthem)

What a fun song to introduce the world (at least the 99.9 percent of us that didn't buy their debut EP) to A Tribe Called Quest. Every time I hear I Left My Wallet in El Segundo, I find something different to love - today it's Q-Tip's casual dropping of "Ali had the fruit punch."

It seems like a pretty safe assumption that Q-Tip actually thought El Segundo was in Mexico. At the time, I probably did too. Back then, the only times I had ever heard it mentioned was as a running joke on Sanford and Son - "Day's in Paris? Smells more like Nights in El Segundo." Being east coast kids, I'm guessing that's where Tribe's familiarity came from too.

This starts a run of a bunch of convivial tracks (with one exception) to get us to the top 5. Expect more Q-Tip along the way.

And speaking of convivial, there was one particular rap song - definitely not a classic - that could have made it to #1 in September 1990 if BIllboard based its charts on songs blasted out of UF dorm rooms and car windows. Seemed like all of us boys in Graham Hall shared Luther Campbell's disdain for Florida governor Bob Martinez. Copied from Genius:

“#### Martinez” addresses former Florida governor Bob Martinez his wife, and former sheriff of Broward County, Florida, Nick Navarro. Governor Martinez ordered state prosecutors to determine whether or not 2 Live Crew’s prior album As Nasty As They Wanna Be violated Florida obscenity laws. The album was deemed obscene and record store owners were arrested for selling the album, as were members of the group for performing songs from the album in concert. Sheriff Navarro was the arresting officer in all cases, of which they were all eventually acquitted. The actions of Governor Martinez and Sheriff Navarro ultimately led to Banned in the USA becoming the first album with the black & white Parental Advisory sticker on the front that is so common today.

Luther Campbell claimed that he convinced two guys named Martinez and Navarro from his Miami neighborhood to sign a document claiming they were the two being referenced in the song to protect 2 Live Crew from legal liability. Seems a little far-fetched, but funny nonetheless. I give you:

#### Martinez
I still hum this tune in the shower (#### Martinez) or wherever pretty often fwiw. No joke. We played the crap outta that record.

And of course probably my favorite Tribe Tune, off my favorite Tribe record. Award Tour (Midnight M's) is right there for my favorite tune fwiw.

Last edited:

Top 10 album of the decade IMHO
Easily the best grunge band for me. I think I prefer the Dirt album over Facelift but the opening track from Facelift is my favorite AIC song and one of my favorite songs period. That is how you kick off an album.

Jerry Cantrell is an underrated guitar player and I don’t really understand how that continues year after year. His riffs should be discussed with the great riff writers.

Interesting thing about Tribe is that they had several moments of rediscovery in the 2000s and beyond. Kind of like Hip Hop's version of Elton John if you will.

A lot of classics that transcended generations.

I agree. They still rocks. Their albums are among those that I like to crank up to 11 when working around the house. Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff is really good too, if interested.
I still really like the Mad Season album.

#10 Bell Biv Devoe - Poison

Never trust a big butt and a smile

A couple of years earlier, Bobby Brown set the stage for post-New Edition success with his New Jack Swing influenced solo album Don't Be Cruel. All of sudden, the genre's blend of R&B plus hip-hop was everywhere, and Ricky Bell, Michael Bivens, and Ronnie Devoe turned that recipe into a huge debut record. Lead single Poison reached #3 on the Hot 100 (#4 overall on their year-end list) and #1 on the Dance and "Hot Black Singles"* charts. I'm pretty sure the DJ played it twice at my prom - it's straight fire (even if @massraider and I are the only New Jack Swing lovers on the board). Unfortunately, Poison was the best track BBD ever recorded and their follow up records never received much mainstream play,

* Yes, from 1982-1990, the Billboard chart in question was officially named Hot Black Singles.

The 3 Worst Hits of 1990, according to the ears of yours truly:

Heart - All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You

The song itself is terrible on its own, but made a million times worse by associating an all-time great band like Heart with its awfulness. Written by Mutt Lange for Don Henley but then kind-of forced on the Wilson sisters by their record company, the lyrics are so bad that it's hard to chose the worst line:

a) So we found this hotel, it was a place I knew well
b) He brought out the woman in me, so many times - easily
c) I am the flower, you are the seed, we walked through the garden, we planted a tree

Seriously, Mutt Lange decides that the best way to deal with a husband's infertility is to repeatedly try to get knocked up by various hitchhikers? Ann is on record as hating it too:

Actually we had sworn off it because it kind of stood for everything we wanted to get away from... I don't know you so let's get in the car and exchange fluids and now, get out. I mean, that's hideous.

Unfortunately, All I Wanna Do was Heart's last Top 10 hit and became the bands biggest selling single ever.

Nelson - (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection

In stark contrast to Heart, Nelson sucks. I think everyone except pop radio and maybe tween girls obsessed with their long blond hair knew they sucked. From Stereogum:

You couldn’t manufacture a band more widely and instantly hated than Nelson. It would be impossible. Nelson simply had too much going for them in that category. The twins Matthew and Gunnar Nelson existed at some previously unimagined nexus between three musical genres — glam metal, soft rock, and teen-pop — that were all generally despised. They looked like freaky-beautiful apparitions — blinding teeth, shining horsey hair, flouncy purple trench coats. They grew up rich, with George Harrison living next door and with famous parents, famous grandparents, famous uncles.

All that didn't stop their debut album After the Rain from going double platinum and lead single (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection from hitting number 1. More evidence that 1990 pop radio kind-of sucked.

Warrant - Cherry Pie

OK, so Warrant weren't remotely as good as Heart but they were infinitely better than Nelson. Still, Cherry Pie might be the worst song of the three. Legend has hit that the head of Columbia records didn't hear a hit on Warrant's second album and asked the band to record one and add it to final cut. Jani Lane "wrote Cherry Pie" in 15 minutes and that was that. The song reached the Billboard Top 10 and was one of the most played videos on MTV for the entire year. Jani famously married the model from the video (Bobbi Brown) though that didn't end well. He also had a famously complicated relationship with the band's biggest hit, alternately saying:

I could shoot myself in the ###ing head for writing that song.

but later walking it back:

Can I clear the air on that? They [VH1 producers] just caught me on a bad day... I'm happy as a clam to have written a song that is still being played and still dug by so many people. It's hard enough to write a song, let alone one that sticks around.

Poor Jani died of alcohol poisoning in 2011. Warrant last released an album in 2017 and still tours the US.

Last edited:

The song itself is terrible on its own, but made a million times worse by associating an all-time great band like Heart with its awfulness. Written by Mutt Lange for Don Henley but then kind-of forced on the Wilson sisters by their record company, the lyrics are so bad that it's hard to chose the worst line:

b) He brought out woman in me, so many times - easily
c) I am the flower, you are the seed, we walked through the garden, we planted a tree

Seriously, Mutt Lange decides that the best way to deal with a husband's infertility is to repeatedly try to get knocked up by various hitchhikers? Ann is on record as hating it too:

Actually we had sworn off it because it kind of stood for everything we wanted to get away from... I don't know you so let's get in the car and exchange fluids and now, get out. I mean, that's hideous.
Unfortunately, All I Wanna Do was Heart's last Top 10 hit and became the bands biggest selling single ever.
Dude, what the F.

This makes me realize I have never really paid attention to lyrics.

Tell you what, though -- Ann completely sells the lyrics. Her pipes are in fine form as cheesy as the song's story is.
Yeah, I certainly wasn't gonna say all of the above when you picked it in the MAD thread. If the song had been by a terrible band, I don't think the lyrics' awfulness would have mattered nearly as much. It doesn't help that it still gets played on the soft rock station every time I go to my dentist.

#10 Bell Biv Devoe - Poison

Never trust a big butt and a smile

When my son was 7 or 8, he tragically was in a Hip-Hop dance class that he lasted one performance, to this song. 6 weeks of practice only hearing this song. And I love this song, but a bunch of 8 year olds dancing badly to "never trust a big butt and a smile" and "me and the crew used to do her" was just missed by all the other parents and i would just laugh my ### off.

My Mom LOVED this song when it came out. And I remember being 16 and telling her to stop and listen to the lyrics. And it didn't change a thing for her. The song has a white trash type of story that just certain people find romantic.

I'm with you on all of these except Cherry Pie....you've got to appreciate that song for what it is.
It's hilarious. Someone could have made a parody of hair metal video in 1990, and this would be it.

Something to be said for songs that make you smile or even laugh when you hear them. If I was in a bar with friends, and this song came on, there is a 100% chance it would be commented on. Even if it's just to make fun of it, in particular the video.

I know the cherry pie landing in Bobbi Brown's lap is remembered, but that's not even the moment that puzzled me. I think the decision to blast her with a firehose for no reason is the real mystery. What was Warrant trying to tell us?? I hate these existential videos with sub-context. Just makes me feel dumb.

I thought Scorchy was skipping over the Roxette bangers but it appears Look Sharp! was released in 88 and Joyride in 91.

However I do see the Pretty Woman Soundtrack was released in 1990 so this could be a gross oversight.

Tell you what, though -- Ann completely sells the lyrics. Her pipes are in fine form as cheesy as the song's story is.
Yeah, I certainly wasn't gonna say all of the above when you picked it in the MAD thread. If the song had been by a terrible band, I don't think the lyrics' awfulness would have mattered nearly as much. It doesn't help that it still gets played on the soft rock station every time I go to my dentist.
Time for a new dentist.

I'm with you on all of these except Cherry Pie....you've got to appreciate that song for what it is.
It's hilarious. Someone could have made a parody of hair metal video in 1990, and this would be it.

Something to be said for songs that make you smile or even laugh when you hear them. If I was in a bar with friends, and this song came on, there is a 100% chance it would be commented on. Even if it's just to make fun of it, in particular the video.

I know the cherry pie landing in Bobbi Brown's lap is remembered, but that's not even the moment that puzzled me. I think the decision to blast her with a firehose for no reason is the real mystery. What was Warrant trying to tell us?? I hate these existential videos with sub-context. Just makes me feel dumb.
I was a big hard rock guy in the 80s and still am. I was into a ton of the 80s metal bands but leaned more towards Metallica type bands but certainly enjoyed some Poison and Warrent songs. Cherry pie is a heaping pile of dog poo. It’s embarrassing. .

I thought Scorchy was skipping over the Roxette bangers but it appears Look Sharp! was released in 88 and Joyride in 91.

However I do see the Pretty Woman Soundtrack was released in 1990 so this could be a gross oversight.
Must Have Been Love was listed in my last 5 out in post #2. I went with King of Wishful Thinking from the Pretty Woman soundtrack instead, but maybe there was room for both. Oh, and while The Look is awesome, I can't say the same for Joyride.

3rd for me behind Seeing Things and Sister Luck but all great tunes. One of my all time favorite albums.
I’m partial to the last two songs. Struttin’ Blues and Stare It Cold. Yes, I realize Struttin’ Blues is a carbon copy of the Stones’ All Down the Line, but it’s so good that I don’t care.

b) He brought out woman in me, so many times - easily

Dude, what the F.

This makes me realize I have never really paid attention to lyrics.
This is totally me. I was fully forty before I realized Peter Gabriel was singing about his penis on Sledgehammer.

You couldn’t manufacture a band more widely and instantly hated than Nelson. It would be impossible. Nelson simply had too much going for them in that category. The twins Matthew and Gunnar Nelson existed at some previously unimagined nexus between three musical genres — glam metal, soft rock, and teen-pop — that were all generally despised. They looked like freaky-beautiful apparitions — blinding teeth, shining horsey hair, flouncy purple trench coats. They grew up rich, with George Harrison living next door and with famous parents, famous grandparents, famous uncles.
All that didn't stop their debut album After the Rain
Sister Tracy was the real talent in that family

This is totally me. I was fully forty before I realized Peter Gabriel was singing about his penis on Sledgehammer.
Thanks to the music video and being in grade school, I really thought Olivia Newton John's Physical was about exercising. I vividly remember playing it on the jukebox at some diner when my mom gave me a quarter and both parents giving me a weird look while asking "You picked this?" I might have been in my 20s when I figured out what Sheena Easton/Prince meant in Sugar Walls.

My favorite though is when I let my doofus best friend borrow my Robin Williams Live at the Met tape in 9th grade. After listening, he tried out one of the bits on his father: "Dad, did you know in Georgia that they'll put you in jail for sodomy with a man who's going to sodomize you?" The reply, "Son, do you know what sodomy means, because I don't think you realize what you just asked me?" Next thing I know, his dad is on the phone with my dad and my comedy tapes got taken hostage for a few weeks.

I'd never argue that they're good, but I kind of like the two Nelson hits.

But the Heart and Warrant songs? The nadir of Western civilization.
I hated Nelson back in the day but they grew on me and are a guilty pleasure of mine now.
Haven’t heard it in years, but I never minded Love and Affection. The Heart song is meh except for the bizarre creepy lyrics. I’ve always hated Cherry Pie - horrible song that does indeed sound like it took 15 minutes to write.

Jeez, maybe my young mind was in the gutter but I knew what those songs were all about. I always thought "Sugar Walls" was especially overt. Maybe I was just an anatomy expert because all of those phys ed sex lessons in fourth grade or something

Come spend the night inside my sugar walls

Not that I'm judging anybody. Just relaying my experiences with those lyrics. Like, they were pretty clear to me.

That Heart song? Never really understood it. Never really cared. It was schmaltzy, through and through, so I was never surprised by the reveal.

Users who are viewing this thread