What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1988:#1 – Guns n’ Roses – Sweet Child o’ Mine (1 Viewer)

Catching up:

I appreciated what I heard of Fugazi, but had no desire to see them live once I heard about Mackaye’s antics. I don’t like doctrinaire killjoys regardless of what their sound or philosophy is.

I found GNR in 1988 like most people. It was a kick in the pants after much of the “rock” music on the radio had gotten so lame the prior few years. I saw them open for Aerosmith in Philly and Axl was in undiluted form already. He stopped the show and started ranting when someone ran onto the stage, grabbed his hat and dove back into the crowd. 

I did not find the Use Your Illusion albums disappointing. Full of filler, sure. But they grafted their kickass sound onto the kind of ambitious material I loved from the 70s. Axl’s behavior and leadership of the band after 1992, yes, that’s disappointing.

Father Figure is the best song on Faith by a wide margin. I was a GM hater in ‘88 but when I heard that I was like, yeah, that’s pretty good. Now I think it’s one of the best songs of the 80s.

@rockaction, in the last month or so you have mentioned in multiple threads about your dislike of Dre and P-Funk because The Chronic and its imitators pushed out the Native Tongue acts. It’s seems a little like how hair metal fans felt about grunge and Frankie Avalon fans felt about The British Invasion.

@rockaction, in the last month or so you have mentioned in multiple threads about your dislike of Dre and P-Funk because The Chronic and its imitators pushed out the Native Tongue acts. It’s seems a little like how hair metal fans felt about grunge and Frankie Avalon fans felt about The British Invasion.
Can someone explain the bolded to me? I've seen this referenced a few times in the music threads and have no idea what it means.

It affects this man's health. 

I have decided that it is actually worse than McCartney's song. Which I never thought I'd say.

Look, just because it talks about an event that happened at Christmas time doesn't make it a Christmas song. It's not even tongue in cheek like "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" thing. It's a funeral dirge masquerading as a carol.

HOT TAKE! 🔥

Last edited by a moderator:
It affects this man's health. 

I have decided that it is actually worse than McCartney's song. Which I never thought I'd say.

Look, just because it talks about an event that happened at Christmas time doesn't make it a Christmas song. It's not even tongue in cheek like "Die Hard is a Christmas movie" thing. It's a funeral dirge masquerading as a carol.
I owned Make It Big.  And Faith.  And Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1   I'm a huge George Michael fan.  But if I never, ever hear this song again, I will be more than perfectly happy.  

It did, and more's the pity. It's not Nirvana's fault, of course - they were making their own music. But the influence initiated a 3-decade period (and counting) of folks thinking navel-gazing, woe-is-me guitar rock is the only way to go. 
I love navel-gazing woe-is-me guitar rock.  My son asks me why we were all so sad/angry back in college...

It totally got overplayed though.  The music industry is as the music industry does - runs any good thing into the ground.

I love navel-gazing woe-is-me guitar rock.  My son asks me why we were all so sad/angry back in college...

It totally got overplayed though.  The music industry is as the music industry does - runs any good thing into the ground.
I hear ya. You ever read the book Top 40 Democracy? Great look into how the music industry works.

Ah, I think it's been two threads, maybe three. This one was brought about by massraider. I wouldn't have even commented if he hadn't.

It's significant because that era of hip hop is a fertile one, and one ripe for disagreement. People got shot in '95 over East Coast and West Coast squabbles, and it partially goes back to that. At the Source awards prior to Tupac and Biggie's murders, Snoop can be heard getting booed by the crowd. "Ain't got no love for the West Coast?" he sneered menacingly. Don't forget, before Snoop was Uncle Snoop and the complete reject sell-out he is today, he was still Calvin Broadus, fighting murder charges from gang-banging in Long Beach. It was a very real thing, this pop culture thing, it just wasn't covered by the press. 

https://youtu.be/tNfx325Nw78

If it seems like hair metal and Avalon, it really isn't, because jazz samples still rule the day in some corners of hip hop, both critically and in sales, unlike hair metal and Frankie Avalon, who were completely annihilated critically and sales-wise by their later cohorts. The Wu-Tang Clan and their artists still use Bill Evans and jazz samples to this day, keeping in line with the East Coast sound of yore. 

But yes, in '93, Dre used P-Funk and Clinton to ride an untapped wave of fraternity brothers and foolish West Coasters everywhere to super crossover stardom. 

:ptts:

Not biased in the least. "Complete reject sell-out." 

😅

#9 - The Church - Under the Milky Way

The second entry from The Church was the first single off the amazing Starfish.  Under the Milky Way hit #2 on the Mainstream Rock chart and #24 on the Hot 100, becoming the only song by the Church to make the US Top 40.  I think their follow-up album Gold Afternoon Fix should have found similar success, but I guess the band's moment of American semi-fame had passed.  

Since I'm currently fixated on the concept of selling out, here' what Church bassist and the co-writer of UTMW had to say on the subject (lifted from Wiki):

There is almost nothing, except for maybe a cigarette ad, I'd say no to 'Under the Milky Way' being used for [...] It was used for a car advertisement in America, very lucratively for me. I'm signing off all the time for TV shows or chocolate bars using it. Sure, have it, it's just a song, do whatever you like with it. You can hear it wasn't written for profit. It's an accidental song I accidentally wrote and accidentally became a single and accidentally became a hit. It's been a nice earner [...] I've written 2000 songs. Thank God one of them came through! [...] The others aren't pulling their weight. They sit and grumble about 'Under the Milky Way' and I say, 'Well, boys, go out and earn the same dough as that one'.

The Church may slag it off, but it totally worked in Donnie Darko.

Under the Milky Way

Can someone explain the bolded to me? I've seen this referenced a few times in the music threads and have no idea what it means.

Sure, Uruk. Native Tongues is a loose amalgamation of hip hop acts on the East Coast from about '88-'92. Jungle Brothers, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, and Queen Latifah and Monie Love made up the core constituents of it. It was an East Coast sound featuring sampled material, especially jazz. It's a hard-to-describe thing, but easy to hear when you know it. 

This does better than I could do explaining it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Tongues

The second entry from The Church was the first single off the amazing Starfish.  Under the Milky Way hit #2 on the Mainstream Rock chart and #24 on the Hot 100, becoming the only song by the Church to make the US Top 40.  I think their follow-up album Gold Afternoon Fix should have found similar success, but I guess the band's moment of American semi-fame had passed.  

Since I'm currently fixated on the concept of selling out, here' what Church bassist and the co-writer of UTMW had to say on the subject (lifted from Wiki):

Under the Milky Way
That quote is lololololol. I gave it a heart, because there's no more damn laugh emoji. "They sit and grumble about 'Under The Milky Way...'"

What a way to put it! 

George Michael was a generational talent, and J Mascis is a rock god

Then there’s Axl

Somebody in that band needed to kick his ### but nobody did, they were all getting ####ed up and jerking themselves off  
:ptts:

To Axl’s credit he kept the line moving. I love the guy

scorchy said:

Under the Milky Way
Absolutely great song.

I would put it in the top 5 for the entire decade.

scorchy said:

Under the Milky Way
The Church is one of my all time favorite bands. And while Reptile is my favorite off Starfish, there is no denying that Under the Milky Way is a special tune. Kudos. 

#54 - The Church - Reptile

Now this sounds like 1988.  Starfish is just a tremendous record with a bunch of great songs.  Reptile was the second single, reaching #27 on the Mainstream Rock chart (it was released prior to the Modern Rock chart, which didn't debut until later that year).  It doesn't quite reach the heights of the Church's biggest hit but that opening riff is straight $.

Reptile
Went back to find this one on your list. Top five opening guitar riff, IMO.  My band in the early 90s did a lot of original stuff in this genre (think The Church combined with The Mission UK (or The Mission if you prefer)), and this tune was one of a few select covers we did (Butterfly on a Wheel was another). It was also the only song I didn’t sing lead on because our lead guitarist could nail Kilbey’s vocals. So I got to play the lead riff throughout the whole tune. It was probably the pinnacle of my public guitar playing. Love that riff so much. 

scorchy said:

Under the Milky Way
When I saw them perform the entire Starfish album live a couple of years ago, Steve Kilbey introduced each song by track number so this was “track 2”  :lol: . I seriously played the #### out of this CD back in the day. Still one of my favorite songs by them of all time. 

I really like Spark and Hotel Womb too.

When I saw them perform the entire Starfish album live a couple of years ago, Steve Kilbey introduced each song by track number so this was “track 2”  :lol: . I seriously played the #### out of this CD back in the day. Still one of my favorite songs by them of all time. 

I really like Spark and Hotel Womb too.
Kilbey can be prickly live. I saw The Church at The CoachHouse (small intimate venue) in maybe 1998 or so, and some woman kept screaming “Under the Milky Way” in between every song. So about 5 tunes into the show, he tells the crowd that they’re not going to play that tune. And then they proceeded to play deep tracks for the rest of the night. None of the hits. None of the semi-hits. Absolutely nothing that a casual fan would have ever heard. It was awesome for a geek fan like me, but people were pissed.

For what it’s worth, Heyday was my favorite album from the first to the last track. Myrrh is freaking amazing. From their earlier stuff, The Unguarded Moment was a killer tune. 

scorchy said:

Under the Milky Way
Great song. Top of my head would have guessed early 90s

Pip's Invitation said:
For me, just for me, I felt like a lot of West Coast stuff was about gangsta, or made for smoking weed, which are both cool, but neither one was my favorite. But I was also a lil older when The Chronic hit. If I was 16 or 17 when Dre and Snoop took over, that would have been my jam, most likely. 

But the east coast stuff seemed smarter, more party driven, and more funky. Cooler samples. 

Which explains why Digital Underground was my favorite West Coast rap. They sounded like they could have been from Queens. 

I don't think anyone pushed Native Tongues away, the West Coast stuff was just more marketable. Better product to sell. 

I would never argue one over another, I just enjoy a Jungle Brothers vibe more than a Snoop vibe. 

# 8 - Pixies - Where Is My Mind?

My love for Pixies' debut album Surfer Rosa was pretty well documented upthread.  At some point - and I swear it was before Fight Club - Where is My Mind? displaced Gigantic as my favorite song on the record.  Though I bet its use in Fight Club was a major factor in how the song ended up at #493 on Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs of All Time list.

I did just go down a wormhole as to whether there's a "The" before "Pixies."  Unlike Billy Corgan or Adam Duritz, I couldn't find an official opinion from any member of the band, so call them what you will.

Where is My Mind (Live)

Stop. 

Aight. 

What to say? Great song. Never sat down and watched the movie all the way through, so I can assure you it’s quite possibly the best song off of Surfer Rosa even without the contextual meaning the film gives the song. 

By the way, appreciate the discussion of Native Tongues, et al.  I never appreciated all the nuances of the various sub-genres of hip hop and feel like I know a little more now that I did yesterday.

Just watched Fight Club again a couple weeks ago. Using WIMM for the final scene is a top shelf marriage of sound to sight and mood. The bullet shot of drums as the buildings explode is awesome. Accompanied further by the line, "You met me at a very strange time in my life."

Magnifique

My love for Pixies' debut album Surfer Rosa was pretty well documented upthread.  At some point - and I swear it was before Fight Club - Where is My Mind? displaced Gigantic as my favorite song on the record.  Though I bet its use in Fight Club was a major factor in how the song ended up at #493 on Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs of All Time list.

I did just go down a wormhole as to whether there's a "The" before "Pixies."  Unlike Billy Corgan or Adam Duritz, I couldn't find an official opinion from any member of the band, so call them what you will.

Where is My Mind (Live)
Oh yes. Great song and great album. I use part of the song as the ringtone for a friend. 

Where is My Mind (Live)
Pours out 40 for Tanner.

#7 – Public Enemy – Don’t Believe the Hype

The third and final entry in the countdown from one of the most influential albums of the year.  Don’t Believe the Hype is the most well-known and highest charting track from the record, yet still only reached #18 on the R&B charts and didn’t make the Hot 100.

Not to broach PSF territory or anything, but the lyrics got me thinking about how PE fits into the earlier discussion about Axl Rose’s sins being seemingly forgotten where Morrissey is now a pariah.  If you read up about Professor Griff – never mind…don’t need to go there.  I will say that I remember Griff getting canceled before it was a thing.  He was supposed to speak at my university at some point in the early 90s and the backlash over some bigoted comments from a few years earlier got him disinvited.  Enough of that.  Love Chuck D though.  And who would have believed Flava Flav would hook up with Mrs. Ivan Drago?  Crazy times.

Don't Believe the Hype

#7 – Public Enemy – Don’t Believe the Hype

The third and final entry in the countdown from one of the most influential albums of the year.  Don’t Believe the Hype is the most well-known and highest charting track from the record, yet still only reached #18 on the R&B charts and didn’t make the Hot 100.

Not to broach PSF territory or anything, but the lyrics got me thinking about how PE fits into the earlier discussion about Axl Rose’s sins being seemingly forgotten where Morrissey is now a pariah.  If you read up about Professor Griff – never mind…don’t need to go there.  I will say that I remember Griff getting canceled before it was a thing.  He was supposed to speak at my university at some point in the early 90s and the backlash over some bigoted comments from a few years earlier got him disinvited.  Enough of that.  Love Chuck D though.  And who would have believed Flava Flav would hook up with Mrs. Ivan Drago?  Crazy times.

Don't Believe the Hype
Flav was what made PE one of the best ever. 

Without Flav, it's Chuck and Griff, and the scariest looking DJ out there. Too serious, too militant for suburban white kids. Chuck without Flav is KRS One. Really good, but not really a party. And that's what hip hop was created for. A party. 

Chuck was talking stuff as heavy as anyone, but Flav was the spoonful of sugar that helped the medicine go down.  You could dance while Chuck told you that Farrakhan was a good guy, or that John Wayne was a racist. 

Really, between their look, that balance of serious and clown, their marketing and branding (that rifle scope logo? Dope.), it's amazing this band happened organically. It would have been very easy to convince me back then that some genius at DefJam heard Chuck, connected him with the Bomb Squad (does anything work better with their sound than his booming baritone??), then installed Flav to make it less serious. 

Nope, they all came from middle class Long Island college radio. Hard to believe. 

Man, I'm telling you.
I should have put my comment in the "Bring The Noise" portion of these proceedings, but when the door was gently opened about PE's politics/cancellation, I couldn't resist a direct lyric from Chuck D that maybe showed why Professor Griff got into a bit of trouble back in the day. 

I was reading an article about Jay Electronica recently, and the author made this point that I'm about to make, though I'll put it in a general way so it stays apolitical for everyone: Farrakhan is a complicated individual who has a complicated relationship with even his admirers. 

And I guess that's about all I'll say about that. 

"Don't Believe The Hype" is a very cool song, and you're right, it's Flava Flav's show.  

I should have put my comment in the "Bring The Noise" portion of these proceedings, but when the door was gently opened about PE's politics/cancellation, I couldn't resist a direct lyric from Chuck D that maybe showed why Professor Griff got into a bit of trouble back in the day. 

I was reading an article about Jay Electronica recently, and the author made this point that I'm about to make, though I'll put it in a general way so it stays apolitical for everyone: Farrakhan is a complicated individual who has a complicated relationship with even his admirers. 

And I guess that's about all I'll say about that. 

"Don't Believe The Hype" is a very cool song, and you're right, it's Flava Flav's show.  
I think what I'm most curious about is where Chuck D's head was on the whole Griff thing.  Chuck tried to apologize on Griff's behalf (the original quotes were really, really ugly) but Griff stood firm.*  Did Chuck kick Griff out of PE because he truly disagreed with him or was it simply a business decision?  

Regardless, just looking in juxtaposition to other controversial 80s music figures, Chuck D seems like a really good dude.  Unlike Axl or Morrissey or the Nuge, I've never read or heard anyone having a bad word to say about him.

*Griff later gave a real apology, but like many apologies, what started out being semi-acceptable veered off into "taken out of context" territory.  I never understand what context could ever make certain statements even remotely OK.

Users who are viewing this thread