What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

00's Mixtape Draft (1 Viewer)

Listening to Karmas right now. Really like the White Stripes song. Dont know why I never got into them. Not a big Bjork fan

I know I will take a ton of heat for this but I just can not get into Radiohead. I know some of you guys love them but every time I try, I just cant

KP has a Black Keys song also. Looks like I need to get into them and the Stripes a bit more

Surprised more Weezer was not taken in this draft
As the decade moved on, I found myself liking the Keys more than the Stripes. Too much filler on the White Stripes albums lately, but I always am able to put in a Black Keys album and listen to the whole thing. Thanks for giving the mix a listen - any others that stood out to you?As a hardcore Radiohead fan, I remember hating Kid A when it came out. I think DirecTV had a special that played the album the day before it came out. Amnesiac and I sat there :mellow: that thought WTF is this? I think a combo of listening to the albums more and seeing the songs live really came me more of an appreciation for those 2 albums. I understand people not liking them though.

ETA: For the Keys, Thckfreakness, Rubber Factory, and Magic Potion are all :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just listened to Postys

Was not really my type of music but thanks for the effort. Just seemed too electronic to me

TTs was not really my style either, but thanks for making it.

I love the fact that you made the same album cover for every song. Makes it seem professional

Next up (chosen at random)

No Snipes Were Harmed During Production Of This Mix Tape
Cool mix and I could see how some would be way into this, but not my cup o' ale.Too many "dance-club" and "big-sound/production" tracks for my taste.

Thought some of the rap/hip-hop tracks were interesting, but seemed a bit contrived or gimmicky (although I admit they are definitely stuck in my brain!)

Overall, decent stuff, but nothing gave me a chubby.

5 Favorite Tracks I Hadn't Heard Before

1) "Come Pick Me Up" - Ryan Adams - Probably the one artist I will seek out more of off this.

2) "A Certain Romance" - Arctic Monkeys - Favorite of the rockers. Looking forward to hearing the others that were drafted by these guys.

3) "Redemption Song" - Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer - Kind of amazed I hadn't heard this before. Kind of a scary amalgamation of the uber-cool. Wonder if I'd like it if I had never heard of Marley, Cash or Clash. Oh well . . .

4) "Hang You from the Heavens" - The Dead Weather - Minimalistic heavy quirk. Like it.

5) "Feel Good Inc." - Gorillaz - Don't usually go for this kinda stuff (JML!!!!), but i like the groove and the change-ups

Just Missed: "Shot Shot", "Bouncin' Back", "Chelsea Dagger", "Shark Fin Blues"

I just bundled my mp3s into a zip folder and stuck the appropriate # in front of each title. The mix works better without cross fading between tracks, so don't use itunes to play.

Introducing "son of pop"

http://www.mediafire.com/?djywzzym42d

PS Could someone please confirm that this works?

edited and corrected :goodposting: to add that all important link :thumbup:
Enjoyed your mix a lot, FC. This one had the most songs I hadn't heard before - I'd only heard the Hold Steady tune before. Lots of great new stuff on here. If I had to name a favorite, it'd be the Graham Coxon song, "Freakin' Out." Coxon is also one of the many artists on your playlist that I hadn't heard before. Unc H's mix next.

Favorite new song from Unc H's mix: "Ghost Town Land" by Turnbull AC's. This is Bonzai's band, right? Pretty ####### good. :tumbleweed:

Kumerica next.

Just finished valence's, liked almost all the songs but none were really new to me. "So Lonely Was the Ballad" and the Neon Indian song were a couple I didn't remember. "Indie RNR" is one of my least favourite Killers songs. Shiny Toy Guns song is good. "Gravity Rides Everything", "The Bleeding Heart Show" and "Hysteria" are all obviously great. "Hang Me Up to Dry" is a fun song. Not sure if |I listened to these in the right order, or if there was a right order.

This one might be my favourite so far, just because there were so many songs that I liked and that were also new to me.

Tiananmen Tank Presents: Shepard. Wrex.

Tracklist:

01. Mungolian Jet Set - Slaptops (5:27)

This was new to me, great intro. Glad I'm listening to this on my good speakers at home, not sure I'd appreciate it on the laptop speakers.

02. Dungen - Panda (4:55)

This sounded nothing like I expected this band to. I was thinking they were more metalish, is this typical of how they sound?

03. Caribou - Melody Day (4:11)

First one I recognize, good song, I've never really gotten into this band though.

04. Rogue Wave - Bird on a Wire (3:40)

Really liked this one as well.

05. Wolf Parade - Modern World (2:52)

06. Menomena - Wet & Rusting (3:33)

Really like this one as well. I have it on my ipod but can't remember ever listening to it.

07. The Whitest Boy Alive - Burning (3:11)

Another good one that's new to me. I always confuse this band and The Boy least Likely To

08. Sea Snakes - A Pallbearer's Calendar (4:41)

This one took a while to get going but the 2nd half of it was pretty good.

09. Ambulance LTD - Ophelia (3:41)

Similar to the last song, pretty good.

10. Radiohead - Life in a Glasshouse (5:07)

Annoying song/band.

11. Brendan Benson - Between Us (3:13)

Really good song (I'm a pretty big Brendan Benson fan).

12. Wilco - Hell is Chrome (4:38)

Not one of my favourite Wilco songs.

13. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) (4:48)

Probably the most recongnizable song on this mix.

14. Constantines - Shine a Light (4:47)

Great band, this song is amazing live.

15. Tiger Bear Wolf - Something Worth Saving (2:40)

The vocals didn't do much for me but when the guy shut up it was pretty good.

16. Portishead - Machine Gun (4:46)

As mentioned before, this is by far my favourite song on their new album.

17. Thee More Shallows - Freshman Thesis (5:02)

Love this, I think this is how I wish Radiohead's sound had evolved.

18. Röyksopp - What Else Is There? (5:17)

Nice, I like everything I've heard from them/her? I should go back into their older stuff more.

19. The Knife - Neverland (3:40)

20. The xx - Crystalised (3:22)

21. Junior Boys - The Equalizer (4:57)

22. LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous! (7:12)

None of these were new to me but The Knife, LCD Soundsystem and Junior Boys might be my favourite 3 bands in this genre. All are good songs.

23. The Unicorns - I Don't Wanna Die (2:04)

Good closer.

Started off with eephus' mix. This is a quick review:

The transition from slow and melodic to fast and loud worked just fine for me, but the third act - DJ/hip hop/electronic - didn't. I'm not a huge fan of those genres anyways, so this is very subjective, but my larger complaint is that I'm never in the mood for a mix that goes from slow to DJ. I'll listen to this mix again, but probably not the whole thing at any one time.

Individual song transitions were OK, but not outstanding.

I'm not a big music snob/nerd, so there were a lot of new bands for me on this mix. Here's a couple that stood out:

Living Things - I Owe Thank you for including this track. Loved it. So did several of my co-workers. Blasted it last night in my car on the way home. I owe you. (God, I crack myself up sometimes.)

Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger As above. Gonna go crank this up right now, as the wife just left the house. :)

Pela - Waiting on the Stairs This also rocked, not quite as great as the first two.

Florence and the Machine Heard this before on "Jennifer's Body" (BTW, did anyone else feel gypped by the absence of said body?) and loved it, but I forgot to track it down. Great tune. FunFunFun.

Sun Kil Moon- Salvador Sanchez Good, but I didn't like it as much as many other posters in this thread. It has a great distorted guitar riff that does sound a lot like Neil Young and Crazy Horse, but Neil's songs progress (usually, kinda, somewhat), while this riff repeated endlessly. Great background music, but not enough to keep me actively listening for six and a half minutes.

Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance Not a favorite, and I felt like it was out of place in the mix.

Obviously I loved the middle portion of this mix.

Just finished valence's, liked almost all the songs but none were really new to me. "So Lonely Was the Ballad" and the Neon Indian song were a couple I didn't remember. "Indie RNR" is one of my least favourite Killers songs. Shiny Toy Guns song is good. "Gravity Rides Everything", "The Bleeding Heart Show" and "Hysteria" are all obviously great. "Hang Me Up to Dry" is a fun song. Not sure if |I listened to these in the right order, or if there was a right order.
thanks for listening. I didn't have a much of a theme except for the mini-theme in the middle. You Are the One -> Nothing Better -> Someone Great -> Emerge. The Killers song isn't a favorite but I do like it; especially the rounds that happen towards the end of the song. It was also my hommage to indie rock song as this is the decade that got me digging deeper into the genre.I've listened to to about a dozen or so of the mixes so far, but have only done two reviews. I'll try to get some more up next week when time allows.

I've been neglecting my reviews, much to your dismay I know. But I felt they were all too negative since I didn't like much of the decade's music, a point I made at the beginning so it's not like I didn't expect this. Instead I thought I'd list the cream of the crop for me, the songs that I am thankful for being exposed to:

Sun Kil Moon - Salvador Sanchez I've said many times how much i like it. I've acquired plenty of his music and feel it'll be a nice staple for quite awhile.

Deer Tick - Easy This guy is awesome. His voice sounfs like it hurts him to sing and being young and growing as a musician he should come up with some great stuff. Sometimes he reminds me of the guy from 13th Floor Elevators.

The Whigs - Right hand On My Heart Check out their

on Letterman with this song. I don't recall many bands nailing it on talk shows as much as these guys did, though I admit I haven't really watched talk shows since the 90s. I've got their album but haven't listened to it as much as I will because I've been listening to...The Hold Steady - Many I don't recall exactly what songs were taken but this is a rocking band that I am enjoying the hell out of.

The Thermals - Pillar Of Salt We'll see if they stick with me for a while but they're fun for now.

Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready I knew they had reunited but for some reason never followed up on it. Great song and album and all their old albums are back in my rotations. Love his voice.

And lastly there are two songs that I have no business liking and would be embarrassed if they came on in my car when the guys from work are riding with me.

Death To Los Campesinos! WTF? Like the back and forth vocals and the fun of the band on the song. But seriously, WTF? It's almost like a gayer B52s.

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends Couldn't stand any of the other songs from them but this one hypnotizes me.

Again, thanks. Though I didn't like most of it, I was in a musical rut for new stuff anf got plenty to get me out of it.

02. Dungen - Panda (4:55)

This sounded nothing like I expected this band to. I was thinking they were more metalish, is this typical of how they sound?
Basically. Not all that metal, really. Leans more toward trippy, psychedelic rock. That whole album (Ta Det Lugnt) is pretty great.

Next up (chosen at random)

Tiananmen Tank Presents: Shepard. Wrex.
Started off thinking this was gonna be my favorite mix.Ended up being a few tracks that I REALLY liked,

with a whole bunch of "eh, not bads" in between.

5 Favorite Tracks I Hadn't Heard Before

1) "Slaptops" - Mungolian Jet Set - LOVED this one. Was hoping this would be the theme of the mix. :rolleyes:

2) "Life in a Glasshouse" - Radiohead - Right in my wheelhouse. Sucker for the old-timey Nawlin's dixieland instrumentation. Coulda sounded WAY gimmicky, but RH pulled it off. :unsure:

3) "Something Worth Saving" - Tiger Bear Wolf - Nothing like old school American punk. Reminiscent of early Minutemen (if they had been writing epically lengthy 2-1/2 minute songs). Love it.

4) "Freshman Thesis" - Thee More Shallows - Usually don't go for this kind of stuff, but great integration of the strings with crunch. Really dig it.

5) "Between Us" - Brendan Benson - Little bit "Rocky Horrorish", but sometimes, that can be a good thing.

Just Missed - "A Pallbearer's Calendar", "Machine Gun", "Panda", "I Don't Wanna Die"

Anyone else get a virus downloading any of these? I got the "google redirect" and the only thing I've downloaded in the past weeks has been most of these.

Anyway I only got to download 18 of them and I'm not downloading anymore.

Here is what I did, I listened to the mix and only kept what I liked. So here is how many songs I kept form each mix (or already had in my collection). By the way - Thank you to all the hard work getting these together - even if I only kept a few of your songs it still exposed me to some music I've missed over the past decade.

Eephus - 16

PirateMike - 7

Professor S - 19

Future Champs - 20

Karma Po-po - 18

AhrnCity - 4

Northern Voice - 21

Disco Stu - 10

Tiananmen Tank - 4

JM's Lunchbox - 16

Abrantes - 3

Postramadas - 6

Valence - 15

Kumerica 19

D_House - 20

Tremendous Upside - 19

Zilla - 14

Nigel - 24 :kicksrock:

If I get some better virus protection I'll try to download the others. Thanks to all for the music.

Anyone else get a virus downloading any of these? I got the "google redirect" and the only thing I've downloaded in the past weeks has been most of these.Anyway I only got to download 18 of them and I'm not downloading anymore.Here is what I did, I listened to the mix and only kept what I liked. So here is how many songs I kept form each mix (or already had in my collection). By the way - Thank you to all the hard work getting these together - even if I only kept a few of your songs it still exposed me to some music I've missed over the past decade.Eephus - 16PirateMike - 7Professor S - 19Future Champs - 20Karma Po-po - 18AhrnCity - 4Northern Voice - 21Disco Stu - 10Tiananmen Tank - 4JM's Lunchbox - 16Abrantes - 3Postramadas - 6Valence - 15Kumerica 19D_House - 20Tremendous Upside - 19Zilla - 14Nigel - 24 :wub:If I get some better virus protection I'll try to download the others. Thanks to all for the music.
:o :wub:Let me guess ... Fiery Furnaces (that one was such a whim, I happened to listen to it that week or something) was one of the two you didn't keep? Thanks for the feedback, hov. :kicksrock:

Anyone else get a virus downloading any of these? I got the "google redirect" and the only thing I've downloaded in the past weeks has been most of these.

Anyway I only got to download 18 of them and I'm not downloading anymore.

Here is what I did, I listened to the mix and only kept what I liked. So here is how many songs I kept form each mix (or already had in my collection). By the way - Thank you to all the hard work getting these together - even if I only kept a few of your songs it still exposed me to some music I've missed over the past decade.

Eephus - 16

PirateMike - 7

Professor S - 19

Future Champs - 20

Karma Po-po - 18

AhrnCity - 4

Northern Voice - 21

Disco Stu - 10

Tiananmen Tank - 4

JM's Lunchbox - 16

Abrantes - 3

Postramadas - 6

Valence - 15

Kumerica 19

D_House - 20

Tremendous Upside - 19

Zilla - 14

Nigel - 24 :lol:

If I get some better virus protection I'll try to download the others. Thanks to all for the music.
Forgot one:tyler_cracker - 13 sorry, it was 20. Liked this mix quite a bit.

:o :wub:Let me guess ... Fiery Furnaces (that one was such a whim, I happened to listen to it that week or something) was one of the two you didn't keep? Thanks for the feedback, hov. :lol:
No, actually kept that one (may wear on me).It was the "Clap your Hands say yeah" song that I cut.And I came real close to the Girls song "Lust For Life", but it has grown on me.

Anyone else get a virus downloading any of these? I got the "google redirect" and the only thing I've downloaded in the past weeks has been most of these.Anyway I only got to download 18 of them and I'm not downloading anymore.Here is what I did, I listened to the mix and only kept what I liked. So here is how many songs I kept form each mix (or already had in my collection). By the way - Thank you to all the hard work getting these together - even if I only kept a few of your songs it still exposed me to some music I've missed over the past decade.Eephus - 16PirateMike - 7Professor S - 19Future Champs - 20Karma Po-po - 18AhrnCity - 4Northern Voice - 21Disco Stu - 10Tiananmen Tank - 4JM's Lunchbox - 16Abrantes - 3Postramadas - 6Valence - 15Kumerica 19D_House - 20Tremendous Upside - 19Zilla - 14Nigel - 24 :wub:If I get some better virus protection I'll try to download the others. Thanks to all for the music.
Forgot one:tyler_cracker - 13
:lol:

:o :wub:Let me guess ... Fiery Furnaces (that one was such a whim, I happened to listen to it that week or something) was one of the two you didn't keep? Thanks for the feedback, hov. :lol:
No, actually kept that one (may wear on me).It was the "Clap your Hands say yeah" song that I cut.And I came real close to the Girls song "Lust For Life", but it has grown on me.
I don't like that CYHSY song either.

Hov34 said:
Karma Po-po - 18
I guess I'll take this above average rating even with the shot at my name. Everybody is going to be curious which tracks you cut from their mix now though. (or in some cases it would be easier to list ones that you actually liked)

For the record, I'd be willing to team up with someone. I'm just not able to upload anything due to my computer being a pos.

For the record, I'd be willing to team up with someone. I'm just not able to upload anything due to my computer being a pos.
You talking for the mystery theme draft? Either team up, or you probably could convince another drafter to upload your mix for you....

I don't have the time to do a song by song review of each mix like I did with the first two, so here are some quick ones.

Postradamus:

After Abrantes, this it probably my second favorite mix. Not a lot of new stuff here for me, but that's ok.

New Stuff I liked: Matt & Kim. Familjen, and Javelin. What albums should I start with for these two? is everything they do intrumentals?

New Stuff I didn't like: Flying Lotus. I thought "Parisian Goldfish" was boring. Not terrible, just boring.

Personal Highlights: "PDA" - one of my favorite songs to play in Rock Band. "1901", "Happy Up Here".

I'm glad someone else took a Neon Indian song. I discovered that album late last year and it's been in regular rotation ever since.

The rest of the songs I am familiar with and all are 3-5 stars.

Overall Score: 4.25 stars.

JML:

I had a good time with this mix. Again, not a lot of new stuff, but that's fine with me.

New Stuff I liked: The Wombats, Empire of the Sun. Never heard that version of "Poor Leno" either.

New Stuff I didn't like: Wir and Helden.

Stuff I am not fond of: Rammstein, Titus Andronicus, Evanescence. Most Pet Shop Boys songs, including "Casanova in Hell".

Personal Highlights: "You Know Your Right" - totally forgot this was "released" in the 00s. "Time to Pretend" - MGMT's best imo.

Overall Score: 3.75 stars

Disco Stu:

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. There were only two new songs for me. Loved "Sugarfoot". I'd really like to explore these guys more. any recommendations of where to start? The other new one was "Aw #### Mand". I didn't care for it.

Personal highlights: "Gardenia", "She's a Rejector", "Right Hand On My Heart", "Stuck Between the Stations"

Songs I don't like: "Marrow" and everything else on St. Vincent. "Your Cover's Blown" and most other songs by Belle & Sebastian.

Overall score: 4 stars.

Northern Voice said:
Hov34 said:
Nigel Tufnel said:
:o :thumbup:Let me guess ... Fiery Furnaces (that one was such a whim, I happened to listen to it that week or something) was one of the two you didn't keep? Thanks for the feedback, hov. :thumbup:
I don't like that CYHSY song either.
Then you hate freedom.

Disco Stu:

I thoroughly enjoyed this one. There were only two new songs for me. Loved "Sugarfoot". I'd really like to explore these guys more. any recommendations of where to start?
Their debut LP from last year - "Tell 'Em What Your Name Is". They have it streaming. It also has been hoofed.Other than that all they've got is a four song EP. Two of the songs are on the LP.

Listened to Kumerica's mix. A lot of stuff I know and like (was sniped on the Libertines and Badly Drawn Boy tunes), the new-to-me song I like the best is "1234" by Feist.

the new-to-me song I like the best is "1234" by Feist.
I hate to be "that guy", but how could you not have heard this before? Apple blasted everyone in the face with this song on iPod commercials for months and months. ( I am thinking of the right song, aren't I? :shrug: )

Users who are viewing this thread