What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

0-4 redraft (1 Viewer)

Despite what was thought to be a solid draft, the team is slowly going in the tank. Being in this position is a new one, so curious what other FBGers have done in this scenario.

Certainly not bailing on the team completely, but do you continue to invest in your team (WW costs $$$ in this league) or do you make basic moves to field your lineup and let the chips fall where they may?

Despite what was thought to be a solid draft, the team is slowly going in the tank. Being in this position is a new one, so curious what other FBGers have done in this scenario.Certainly not bailing on the team completely, but do you continue to invest in your team (WW costs $$$ in this league) or do you make basic moves to field your lineup and let the chips fall where they may?
If transactions cost $$$ and you are really sure you are out of it, there's no reason to spend $$ on the WW or anything else fee-driven.People need to realize that we've played a significant chunk of the season, and an 0-4 hole is pretty deep.

Despite what was thought to be a solid draft, the team is slowly going in the tank. Being in this position is a new one, so curious what other FBGers have done in this scenario.Certainly not bailing on the team completely, but do you continue to invest in your team (WW costs $$$ in this league) or do you make basic moves to field your lineup and let the chips fall where they may?
Seriously if the thought of spending a couple sheckles to improve your team remotely impacts your decision as to whether to make the move, then you probably cannot afford that league to begin with....and next year you should join a league more in line with your financial resources....

If transactions cost $$$ and you are really sure you are out of it, there's no reason to spend $$ on the WW or anything else fee-driven.People need to realize that we've played a significant chunk of the season, and an 0-4 hole is pretty deep.
The Dude probably has 10 games left....the last wild card spot probably has a 2-2 record right now (3-1 at worst; which if this is the case probably means the top teams have not played each other yet). So is he in a hole...sure....is dead.....not even close.....Of course if he has a crappy roster....that's a whole different story....I started 0-5 one year; won my last 12 games culminating with a Super Bowl victory....does that happen every year....absolutely not....is it possible....absolutely....that is why you play to win every week....

Seriously if the thought of spending a couple sheckles to improve your team remotely impacts your decision as to whether to make the move, then you probably cannot afford that league to begin with....and next year you should join a league more in line with your financial resources....
It's more of a question of going balls out on waiver moves to shake things up vs. a more restrained approach. At 0-4, IMHO, your team is what it is regardless of preseason projections, so it is more of a strategy discussion. Seeing what the viewpoint of the Pool is on this topic.See my avatar re: spending issue. Should I have taken a year off...maybe. But, was hoping the season would offer a brief respite from reality, not mirror it.

This is why more leagues should implement some type of playoffs for those teams that don't make the main playoffs.

Last season I created a "bottom feeder bowl" that a percentage of the transactions money was put towards. This keeps the bad teams interested the entire season and gives them something to do come playoff time.

Also if you stop doing waiver pickups then the higher teams are going to scoop up the guys you normally would be scooping up. You need to stay active for this aspect alone. It keeps the already good teams from picking up all the good waiver pickups and stacking their teams.

The team that started 0-2 in my league is now 2-2 and had the top score the past two weeks in a row. He picked up Steve Smith and a couple other nice waiver pickups the first two weeks. His team also decided to show up so he now has a pretty stacked roster.

Sure 0-4 is pretty bad but anything can happen. If I see anybody tanking or giving up in my league he won't be invited back next season. One bad owner can destroy the integrity of the league.

0-4 also here. I think the chances are slim to make the playoffs now especially since I play in a division with a 4-0 team and two 3-1 teams. I think I have a solid starting lineup but Im not gonna pretend my start is all due to luck. Id say I had two unlucky losses and got romped in the other two. Im middle of the pack in pts so if I make a run and score some points I can probably get into the playoffs at 7-6 (points is the tiebreaker). I gotta go 7-2 down the stretch. Its gonna be tough but Im not giving up yet. I will set my lineup, make FA pickups, and accept trade offers people send me but Im not gonna scour the message boards, stress over proposing trades hoping people accept etc. Basically Im not gonna stress about it any more (which is part of the fun IMO). Now Im just gonna set the best lineup possible every week and let the chips fall where they may. I think of it like if I get to 2-4 Ill probably be 1 GB the last playoff spot and Im right back in it.

Look - it partly depends on who the guys are on your team and how badly you've been losing. If you have someone like Forte who didn't do anything until this week - I wouldn't give up on him. Whenever my team starts well (sometimes even when not) - I start looking to trade with the worst teams who are more willing to shake things up. And I trade away depth for the best guy they have - who has typically underperformed thus far.

If your team, assessed honestly, is really not very good - this type of trade may make sense for you. If you've just had some slow starters - hang in there and don't trade for the fast starters - your team will likely get worse.

If you have a decent team but have just been losing due to high scores by others - you can use your 0-4 record as a reason to look like you are willing to take some chances - when really you are just trying to make a good deal. Use whoever you have that started well and try to trade them for the underperformers on other teams.

Oh my goodness, you don't know your history very well, it wasn't the Germans, it was the Austrians.

was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
This is some funny stuff for anyone following the ridiculousness that is American Politics, and to an extent, American Media (I refuse to call it News).On topic, I would never go down without a fight. I have one of the worst teams this year and I've spent nearly my entire FA auction budget already. The budget is 'free' and add/drops are only $1 so I can't say this affects my decision at all. However if I was actually spending real money on the auctions then it would definitely dampen my FA pickups. It would be hard for me to justify spending much more than 15% of the entry fee on any free agent pickups for the season.

The Dude probably has 10 games left....the last wild card spot probably has a 2-2 record right now (3-1 at worst; which if this is the case probably means the top teams have not played each other yet). So is he in a hole...sure....is dead.....not even close.....Of course if he has a crappy roster....that's a whole different story....I started 0-5 one year; won my last 12 games culminating with a Super Bowl victory....does that happen every year....absolutely not....is it possible....absolutely....that is why you play to win every week....
This.In a bunch of my past seasons, it was an 8th seed team that barely made it in that won the Superbowl. The last seed in your league prob has 2 wins. You should think about it as being behind 2 games for a playoff spot. I'd much rather be 0-4 now, down by 2 wins for the last spot with 9 more games to play, then 6-5 down by 2 wins with 2 games left to go.

These are the more constructive answers/input I was seeking.

Have had the injury bug early on plus the inevitable "guys on the bench blowup" scenarios all too often. Still think the squad is a good one (not posting it, for this is not a WDIS or "what do I do" post), but just frustrated to see the poor final results.

Like jobarules, I lean towards the fielding a good squad, but not stressing over it method. But, figured others in the same scenario may offer some other thoughts of value.

glllllllllllllll to all

8-6 can make the playoffs, so it ain't over. That said, i kind of like our redrafting rules, where all the non-playoff teams compete during the last weeks and the playoffs for draft position for the next year. My team got off to a terrible start but I just missed the playoffs as i got hot towards the end of the year. I did well enough though to earn the #1 draft slot this year. 4-0 this with if ADP can score 9 points tonight.

Like others have said, while 0-4 is the suck, you're probably 2 or (at worst) 3 games out of the playoff picture. Being at the quarter or 1/3 mark, you've probably got some fight left.

A guy in my league once went 0-6 and won his last 7 to make it in. FF is strange; you can get on a roll and stuff starts happening.

Keep up the fight, GB. :angry:

I'm in a 12-team dynasty league, with a 14-week regular season schedule, and I'm off to an 0-4 start myself, so I feel your pain. Bad luck, bad decisions on who to start, blah blah blah. But I've noticed that the fourth seed (our last playoff seed) has always sneaked in with an 8-6 record, so there's no way I would give up before getting my 7th loss. Three years ago, we had a team start 0-6, catch fire with a couple of great waiver wire pickups, and finish 8-6, and then win our championship two weeks later. Two years ago, I got off to a 2-5 start before coming back to finish 8-6 and win the championship myself. And I can get to 2-5 from 0-4.

If I were to get my 7th loss, I don't think I'd throw in the towel even then (even though it would help me get a high draft pick next year if I did). I'm too damned competitive to not try each and every week, and I'd love to be somebody's spoiler.

One thing that hurts me is no waivers in our league. We have a blind bidding system (which I like better). Unfortunately I already blew all my money :shrug:

I understand playing to win every week. Heck last year, I started a dynasty rebuild thread in the IDP forum, and sold off some assets for picks. Stayed active, got hot & won it all. Depending on his league format, he could have 9-12 games left in the regular season. My example of my worst league - I'm in a league where I'm 0-4. Last year at this time in that league, I was undefeated and in last place in my division - the division is regularly brutal, and we were all unbeaten before divisional play. We often all somehow make the playoffs by beating up on other teams, and 7 teams make the playoffs. I'm not dead due to the format, but I am in deep trouble. The truly bad owners have had huge weeks against me, and I haven't played the top teams yet - however, I've faced one of the top 3 scoring teams every week. I've lost to a team that auto-drafted, and doesn't set his his lineup every week, and I'm the only guy he's beaten. We do have a bottom-feeder playoff for draft position, and I'm leading in pool picks & alive int he survivor pool, so I will be active there. Realistically, 9-4 or 8-5 may get you to the playoffs in some leagues, but it's a tightrope to walk. If you have a season that end later than week 13, then that helps.You don't give up, but you don't necessarily throw good money after bad - or at least not a lot. If waiver moves cost $$, I'd be less likely to spend big $$. Luckily, I don't have that issue.I'm not advocating quitting, or doing nothing, simply udnerstanding realistic expectations, and not going overboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never give up, make your moves via trades or WW.....

Take it in pieces....first 4 games...mid 4 games....last 5 games.

I went 1-3....

So what better way then to trade with another 1-3 team I play this week and give him Brees, Mham, McCoy for Brady, Calvin, and HTower...(Feel i came out just a bit on top considering)

You have to make moves when your down even if for a few wins now, u have to make the playoffs to get those sweet playoff matchups!

Keep on truckin, and "Dont give up, don't ever give up!"

In my 16 team leauge we had a guy go 0-6, win the the next seven, squeak into the playoffs, and win with the superbowl.

I wish he would have quit. :goodposting:

Just speaking of redrafts (dynastys are a whole 'nother topic), I've found that I work harder when my team sucks than when it's good. I imagine it's some combination of pride/shame/envy/for-the-good-of-the-league that makes me want to be a PITA even if I don't have much of a shot at winning.

My local redraft is a little different than most, I think. For one, we play a 17 week regular season so 0-4 isn't as harmful a start it is in 13 week leagues. Second, we have weekly payouts for high scoring team of the week ($30), high scoring player ($25), and 2nd highest scoring team ($15) - besides throwing a bone to the hard luck teams, this tends to keep everyone interested. Our add/drops are $3, so trying to improve isn't cost-prohibitive against a $200 entry fee.

Anectodotally, 2 seasons stick out for me: a couple of years ago, I started out 1-6 & made the playoffs while working my butt off to get comptetitve; back in the early 90s, I started out 0-3 & then won out while doing nothing.

Our SB winner last year was in a bad division and managed to sneak in with a losing record (6-7). He ended up winning the whole thing because his team hit a hot streak during the playoffs while each of his opponent's teams failed to perform. Another year a team started 0-6 and ended up placing 3rd after winning 9 in a row.

In my longest-running money league, two 6-7 teams have won titles in 17 years (6 teams out of 12 make the playoffs). It can happen.

To me, the fun is playing. It's more fun when you are winning of course, but at the end of the day, FF can't and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

If I'm 0-4, but I beat one of my buddies, it's still as fun as when I'm 4-0 and beat them - in some ways it's more fun (I suck this bad and you STILL can't beat me?!).

I never give up.

For the past four seasons, I've started slow in at least one of my two longest-running leagues that I care about the most.

2005: 0-4, made it to 8-5, lost championship game (basically because Seattle wanted Alexander to set TD record)

2006: 1-3, made it to 8-5, lost first playoff game

2007: 1-3, made it to 9-4, won championship game

2008: 1-5, made it to 7-6, lost championship game

Last year was the most fortunate, as I had the DeAngelo Williams explosion carry a mediocre team to within a few points of a championship. In most of the other years, I just kept plugging away.

This year, I'm 0-4 with a team that has fought injuries to be in the middle of the pack in points, but I've played teams that have finished 2nd, 1st, 2nd, and 2nd in points. The rest of the league is "allowing" 61-77 points per week, and then there's my team allowing 93 points per week. There's not much you can do, but clearly I can't give up on this team. At some point, the scheduling breaks should even out, and if my team gets healthy, I think I still have a chance to go 7-6. By the way, in the other big league for me, I'm 3-1 with many of the same players (I don't usually have such similarities in rosters, it just worked out that way), with one of the differences being that my team is 7th out of 12 in points allowed.

Don't go down without a fight, but realistically assess your playoff odds as far as how long and how much to spend. If a 12 team league has four teams make the playoffs, that's one thing. But if it's a 10 team league where six teams make the playoffs, 0-4 can be overcome. Remember, unlike a real NFL team, your fantasy team doesn't have to worry about dissension in the locker room. All I know is if I give it my best shot and fall short, I can accept it whatever the reason. If I give up, and then see a player I didn't pick up explode down the stretch, then I'll always wonder what might have been had I not stopped trying.

By the way, every league should have at least some weekly top score prizes to keep teams who start slow with incentive and something to root for. A consolation playoffs is OK, but I'd rather have the weekly prizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, the fun is playing. It's more fun when you are winning of course, but at the end of the day, FF can't and shouldn't be taken so seriously.If I'm 0-4, but I beat one of my buddies, it's still as fun as when I'm 4-0 and beat them - in some ways it's more fun (I suck this bad and you STILL can't beat me?!).
If you play long enough, one way or another you're going to have a team that just plain sucks. I agree it's awesome when that team can take out your arch-rival even in a down year. And losing one season can make you appreciate winning the next time instead of possibly taking it for granted.

This is the time for collusion. A few defensible but carefully imbalanced trades to a contender in return for pecuniary considerations can turn a losing venture into a winning one.

I mentioned before that my league has a "bottom feeder" playoff for those that don't make the playoffs.

The other thing I do is have weekly prizes for the top two point scorers.

Both of these keep people interested and active regardless of their record. A good commish will find ways like these to keep people active and keep them from running a fire sale on their players.

I'm only 3 games out of a wildcard spot with 9 games to play. I'm in pretty good shape it seems.

since everyone has given a pep talk as to why you sould stay in it at the moment, I'd like to address the other side of the coin when you are 0-7 and dead.

I defiently think you have an obligation to the league to maintain a team that can take the field every week. There is nothing worse than a absent manager. Plus, playing spoiler has its own rewards. I also suggest you turn up the trash talk in your league when you find yourself in this position. Don't be rude just obnoxious and try to irriate them.

senor peso 2006 said:
since everyone has given a pep talk as to why you sould stay in it at the moment, I'd like to address the other side of the coin when you are 0-7 and dead.I defiently think you have an obligation to the league to maintain a team that can take the field every week. There is nothing worse than a absent manager. Plus, playing spoiler has its own rewards. I also suggest you turn up the trash talk in your league when you find yourself in this position. Don't be rude just obnoxious and try to irriate them.
:kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread