What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (4 Viewers)

I still don't understand how this works - first pass in there are two guys well offside, including the guy who takes the pass. So now RM has the ball in a dangerous position and the final pass is onside so we let them play and its a goal.

I still don't understand how this works - first pass in there are two guys well offside, including the guy who takes the pass. So now RM has the ball in a dangerous position and the final pass is onside so we let them play and its a goal.
I don't remember this being like you described.

None of the players who were in an offside position were interfering at that point in time, perfectly standard decision with how the rules are as of right now

Maybe RM has taken over Ref payments from Barca?

Or the Kane curse continues?

(I didn't see it so I don't know if they are using EPL VAR)

Just watched the replay - no offside on the RM goal

Also - looked like no offside on the Bayern goal 👀

Just watched the replay - no offside on the RM goal

Also - looked like no offside on the Bayern goal 👀
Exactly. Nuts the line judge raised his flag so quickly.

The problem is the flag went up quickly. They take so long most times, but they were quick on the draw.

But Bayern were absolutely flailing after Neuer’s muff.

Did not watch live - but pretty bad officiating on the Bayern goal - even if it was ultimately off-side - it was so tight, that it should have been allowed to continue and let VAR sort it out.

None of the players who were in an offside position were interfering at that point in time, perfectly standard decision with how the rules are as of right now

Rudiger and Joselu were both offside on the pass in. Joselu was at least a yard off and he's standing directly in front of the goal, but not interfering? Are Neuer and the other defenders supposed to ignore him then? If he takes himself out of the play I can maybe accept it, but he scored the goal! That's offside under any interpretation of how the rule is called. I didn't have the sound on and am working so am probably missing something but its complete nonsense to me to allow that one.

Rudiger and Joselu were both offside on the pass in. Joselu was at least a yard off and he's standing directly in front of the goal, but not interfering? Are Neuer and the other defenders supposed to ignore him then? If he takes himself out of the play I can maybe accept it, but he scored the goal! That's offside under any interpretation of how the rule is called. I didn't have the sound on and am working so am probably missing something but its complete nonsense to me to allow that one.

This is the Joselu goal - looks like Rudiger is held on by the far defender who is late to get out - but Joselu was not involved with the ball, and was not interfering in the play of the ball - i.e. he is not preventing any defender from defending, including the keeper.

Then its a new phase with the Rudiger pass, and Joselu is behind the ball (and the Bayern defenders - who should have reacted quicker once the ball went out to Rudiger).

Rudiger and Joselu were both offside on the pass in. Joselu was at least a yard off and he's standing directly in front of the goal, but not interfering?

Joselu was behind the ball?

Negative gb

Ruddy was on with the guy marking Joselu, then Joselu drops behind Ruddy before the pass.

Negative gb

Ruddy was on with the guy marking Joselu, then Joselu drops being Ruddy before the pass.

But Joselu is a yard off when the first pass comes in. He scores the goal a half-second later. That's been offside our entire lives until a few yeas ago.

Negative gb

Ruddy was on with the guy marking Joselu, then Joselu drops being Ruddy before the pass.

But Joselu is a yard off when the first pass comes in. He scores the goal a half-second later. That's been offside our entire lives until a few yeas ago.
Don’t think it matters he’s off when the ball goes to Ruddy. He’s onside for the pass he receives.

Did not watch live - but pretty bad officiating on the Bayern goal - even if it was ultimately off-side - it was so tight, that it should have been allowed to continue and let VAR sort it out.
I don't think it was even offsides to begin with..

Absolute horror show to raise the flag and blow the whistle that quickly when the entire world knows the rules are to let it play out and then use VAR as needed.

And in my day, a Frankfurter cost a nickel and the joselu goal wouldn't have counted

Eta... And electricity? Who needs that? We have gas candles that are glorious.

I don't think it was even offsides to begin with..

Absolute horror show to raise the flag and blow the whistle that quickly when the entire world knows the rules are to let it play out and then use VAR as needed.

Yup two officiating errors in that play - raising the flag, but also in blowing the whistle, as the head official is not obligated to respond to the linesman's flag.

Negative gb

Don’t think it matters he’s off when the ball goes to Ruddy. He’s onside for the pass he receives.
The problem is the back line and Neuer have to mark an offside player in that situation because another “phase” starts a half second later. So what is the point of trapping him offside if he can immediately take a pass and score?

Negative gb

The problem is the back line and Neuer have to mark an offside player in that situation because another “phase” starts a half second later. So what is the point of trapping him offside if he can immediately take a pass and score?
He’s not interfering with the play/blocking the keeper when he’s off in the pass out wide.(we see people offside out of play all the time)

He’s onside when it’s played to the middle.

Like I said, I thought he was off with the first view. On replay, it seemed legit imo.

So pissed I wasn't able to watch this one live and then had the result spoiled by a friend who assumed I was watching but wow...what a finish.

Part of Bayern's problem this season has been giving up late goals.
In the CL, coming into this match, they had give up 11 total, 2 after the 90th minute.
In league play, they have given up 6. Sure with 41 total given up, that doesn't sound bad, but it is a problem.

59 against in all competitions, 9 after the 90th minute, and I think at least 3 in the 45+ of the first half.

But, as it always happens in the CL, when they go out, it's usually for lack of shots. As we saw with Neuer, keepers make mistakes. If you think you pretty much have to walk the ball through the defense, it won't work. Take a few shots and go after rebounds and ricochets.

Preach. He's offside because the defense stepped up to trap him offside. So he is by definition involved in the play when the pass goes out to Rudiger. The defense is reacting to him.

I've been tilting at this windmill for a long time and no one agrees with me, but you can sit next to me on this porch and have some sweet tea.

Preach. He's offside because the defense stepped up to trap him offside. So he is by definition involved in the play when the pass goes out to Rudiger. The defense is reacting to him.

I've been tilting at this windmill for a long time and no one agrees with me, but you can sit next to me on this porch and have some sweet tea.

A couple old farts pissing in the wind it seems ...

But I think I'm probably confusing my old memories somewhat with rugby which I played for about 10 years. If offside, a player has to literally take himself out of the play - in some cases by raising our arms up as we retreated to signify that we're not engaging in play in any respect. In soccer, I have no problem with an offside player who is out wide to be deemed "passive" - but if he's standing directly in front of the goal with the ball a few yards away from him and he immediately takes a pass and scores, that is obviously interfering with the play pretty much no matter how you define that term. If he's offside, I think the defense should be able to ignore him and defend the player who can legally play the ball.

Fwiw, there was a period when I was taught to raise my hands up to signify I was passive while offsides.

Btw... It's odd to me how little flak Dier has caught. 1st goal- yeah, neuer bounced it (and those are brutal for GKs bouncing up to their shoulders)... But Dier let his man get there first. Just shut off. 2nd goal, iirc Dier is the one who gave the ball away which led to that buildup and goal. I'm like 86% sure it was him.

How do you beat the trap? Second runner. The act of stepping up to put a player offside has no bearing on anything if that player doesn't receive the ball or isn't involved. And granted I have not seen the play so I am just speaking in general but the act of playing the trap does not automatically make him involved. One of many reasons why the trap is often easily beat.

Fwiw, there was a period when I was taught to raise my hands up to signify I was passive while offsides.

Btw... It's odd to me how little flak Dier has caught. 1st goal- yeah, neuer bounced it (and those are brutal for GKs bouncing up to their shoulders)... But Dier let his man get there first. Just shut off. 2nd goal, iirc Dier is the one who gave the ball away which led to that buildup and goal. I'm like 86% sure it was him.
Stepping over the end line, keeping your head down and jogging up field... these are all things we did growing up to be out of the play.

I am guessing Dier is escaping since everyone is focused on the possible offside, var, RM gets the calls conspiracies, etc...

Stepping over the end line, keeping your head down and jogging up field... these are all things we did growing up to be out of the play.

I am guessing Dier is escaping since everyone is focused on the possible offside, var, RM gets the calls conspiracies, etc...
I mean, I know the guy who scored who's name has already disappeared from my consciousness... He's a superstar that nobody can contain. But Dier does his job and BM goes on.

I mean, I know the guy who scored who's name has already disappeared from my consciousness... He's a superstar that nobody can contain. But Dier does his job and BM goes on.
Oh for sure. But you know people only want to talk about what gets them angry.

Leverkusen was up 3-2 on aggregate but down 2-1 in the match, but instead of hiding with the ball in the corner, they scored in the last seconds of added time to stay unbeaten.
At 90+7 no less! And technically it was the only goal they scored, as their first one was an Own Goal in the 82nd while they were down 2-0.
Like a college football team I know, their mascot should involve a horseshoe and place where it seems lodged.

Users who are viewing this thread