What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (9 Viewers)

Arsenal looks like a title challenger, if they can sustain. They really are playing well.

If they were in a league that doesn't contain Man City I'd agree with you
I didn't say they would win it. But they could make it interesting.

Over the last few seasons, someone seems to flirt with matching or beating United's Treble. And for once, I am actually nervous that City could get the Quadruple. They just need to stay healthy and stay unselfish with the ball. Halaand can put them over the top.

Fun game between Barcelona and Inter yesterday. I didn't think much of Xavi's defensive setup, seemed like Pique was getting overrun on too many occasions.

What a match I've just been at - goal disallowed in first minute for offside (other end, no idea if fair), go 2-0 up, continually let them have all the second balls, go 3-2 down, they have two players sent off, we miss a pen, have another disallowed for offside which looked fine, then equalise in the 8th minute of added time

Edit - and they seemingly had another red card after we made it 3-3 and I didn't notice

United catch a break there with a header off the bar and then off the post. Granted I don’t think that was a free kick to begin with but no clue how they didn’t score there.

Fred is horrible - how he continues to get minutes is infuriating. I know Eriksen is out so probably why but still, he should never see meaningful minutes.

Entertaining first half - teams are pretty evenly matched.

DeGea is still bad with distribution - United really miss Eriksen and I think Rashford should come on for Cristiano.

Entertaining first half - teams are pretty evenly matched.

DeGea is still bad with distribution - United really miss Eriksen and I think Rashford should come on for Cristiano.
Need Targett in for Burn on the other side at the start of the second half. Burn’s on a yellow now and he just can’t keep up with Anthony.

For those that use Paramount+, special is out for 50% off annual subscription. Use code UEFA50 at checkout. Makes an essential plan $25 for the year.
My next billing cycle isn't until 8/29 next year, but when I entered the code as a Coupon it does show up under "Discount" as "50% off 12 months". No idea if that will be available when I renew, but nothing ventured...

Sure the point of the game is to score goals but when Ronaldo cares more about goals than busting his *** then it’s a problem.

ETA - I realize that’s always been partly the case with CR but he’s got to do better.

Last edited:
The right side of Liverpool's defense today is James Milner and Joe Gomez.

Gomez is a fine defender IMO, but he hasn't played with Milner at all. And Milner is likely to be exploited -- especially with the lack of a coordinated press from the front six. Elliott and Thiago just don't provide enough pressure on the ball and it cascades from there.

Expecting Liverpool to be pinned back like most teams are vs City, and to be dominated. City at nearly even money (19/20) seems like an opportunity.

Good lord, what quality. These fixtures live up to the billing every time. Been the best matchup in soccer for five years or so now.

Happy to be wrong if Liverpool play like that for another half.

I'm taking that as a rhetorical question, but generally speaking when there's a series of attempts in quick succession, the xG of the second and future shots is multiplied by 1 minus the xG of the first. So if you've got a penalty, which typically gets automatically credited with about 0.7 xG and the keeper saves it, then the rebound falls and it's a 50/50 chance to convert, the team would get 0.85 xG rather than an absurd 1.2

Bruno and Fred get the goals, 2-0 United

United looked like they had urgency and a little fight in them. And they kept it up for 90mins. On to Chelsea this weekend in the battle for 4th.

United looked like they had urgency and a little fight in them. And they kept it up for 90mins. On to Chelsea this weekend in the battle for 4th.

I'd say the best performance of the season - I missed the first 20 minutes but what I saw United really controlled the entire match. I know Conte's approach is absorb and counter, but I was shocked by the performance from Tottenham - they generated very little and were very sloppy in the midfield. Rashford was a little wasteful - could have had a couple goals. I bash Fred a lot so credit to him - he was great yesterday and the team didn't miss Eriksen as much as I would have expected. United still has a lot of flaws and needs some more turnover - the obvious one is they need to send CR somewhere in January if possible and if there's a striker that fits ETH's style then go get them. I don't think he can depend on Martial to stay healthy and keep form.

Miggy Haalmiron strikes again!

It makes me really happy that he seems to have finally reached his potential in the EPL. It was obvious during his time in Atlanta that he was a special talent that could succeed at the highest level. I think he's playing with a ton of confidence now and it seems like Howe shares the confidence in him at the moment.

I'd say the best performance of the season - I missed the first 20 minutes but what I saw United really controlled the entire match. I know Conte's approach is absorb and counter, but I was shocked by the performance from Tottenham - they generated very little and were very sloppy in the midfield. Rashford was a little wasteful - could have had a couple goals. I bash Fred a lot so credit to him - he was great yesterday and the team didn't miss Eriksen as much as I would have expected. United still has a lot of flaws and needs some more turnover - the obvious one is they need to send CR somewhere in January if possible and if there's a striker that fits ETH's style then go get them. I don't think he can depend on Martial to stay healthy and keep form.
:goodposting:

Another bonkers game for us, four minutes in backpass to our keeper, slams clearance straight into Pukki for 0-1, down 0-2 after Pukki is too strong for our best centre back, worst 45 I can remember, pull it back to 2-2, Norwich win an obvious pen, someone is lining up to take it then Pukki is "ok lads, I've got this", then our reserve keeper (only playing as our first choice is suspended for fighting) saves it.

If you have no horse in the English game I highly recommend just shoving the entirety of the Championship into a randomiser and picking a team, it really is the most competitive league in the world. And if you rand Rotherham I apologise

Not a horrible result for either side. United were the better side but not by so much that a draw isn’t fair. Really like what ETH has done after the slow start.
xG were 1.09 Chelsea - 1.07 ManU. 1-1 was pretty much the expected result.

ManU dominated early, but the early Kovacic sub changed the game. After that I thought Chelsea had the better of it, but ETH made some smart changes as well. It was cool when the camera showed him with a board with pieces on it as he and his AC were discussing how to deal with the Kova change. Showed how much like chess this is for smart managers like ETH and Potter.

Decent game, but neither team seemed to know what to do once they were in the box. Still, entertaining none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread