What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

I wonder if @Sinn Fein was even watching.
I was...

A little awestruck.  I was quietly confident going in to the match - thinking Spurs could grab a 2-1 win.  Going down 2, and watching Spurs miss chances in the first half was - lets say - not fun.  2nd half was even less fun, knowing its the hope that kills you...last minute winner - that was fun.

So both Ajax and Barca blow 3-0 aggregate leads, I think today is more improbable than yesterday. 
I don't think it is when you consider the caliber of the opponents. Barcelona had yet to lose. Liverpool needed a clean sheet against a Messi-led team while still attacking. Without Salah and Firmino. Without Robertson for a half. All while still fighting for top of the league while Barcelona was resting players.

The last minute nature of Tottenham's win was ridiculous though. Especially away from home.

Still can't believe the last 24 hours we just watched.

I don't think it is when you consider the caliber of the opponents. Barcelona had yet to lose. Liverpool needed a clean sheet against a Messi-led team while still attacking. Without Salah and Firmino. Without Robertson for a half. All while still fighting for top of the league while Barcelona was resting players.

The last minute nature of Tottenham's win was ridiculous though. Especially away from home.

C'mon...

Spurs needed 3 - on the road, in a half, after being run over in the 1st half, and without Harry Kane (or a CM).

Spurs may as well just rest the starters this weekend to make sure no one gets hurt.  Winner of CL gets an auto-bid next year anyway.  :moneybag:

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon...

Spurs needed 3 - on the road, in a half, after being run over in the 1st half, and without Harry Kane (or a CM).
Both were amazing. Liverpool’s seemed the tougher job at the start of the week by a mile.  

But if you judge it from halftime of both games, Tottenhams was the more amazing win.  They literally looked dead and buried at halftime.

Kane will be back...he was looking pretty nimble running on to the pitch after the game...
I fully expect him to play in the final. 

I should feel confident, but I don’t.  Will be a fascinating game. I hope Spurs have a bit of the “happy to be there”, but that’s tempered by the fact that it’s a league opponent that they know well.

I gotta go with this being a 50/50 matchup.  Liverpool on paper are better, but Tottenham won’t be scared a bit.  I really preferred Ajax 🤬

Mirror/Replay/AA (English, BT Sport 50FPS): https://streamable.com/fhtvd
Mirror/Replay/AA (Dutch, Ziggo Sport): https://streamable.com/teajf
Final whistle and celebrations (BT Sport): https://streamable.com/a0emj
BT analysts' initial reactions; Eriksen, Danny Rose, and Alderweireld interviews: https://streamable.com/qfb4e
BT analysts look at the goal and Hoddle's initial reactions: https://streamable.com/halqf
Pochettino interview; BT analysts talk about Pochettino's performance and Ajax's run: https://streamable.com/0f7k9
BT analysts look at 2-1 goal, 2-2 goal, and 3-2 goal again; Pochettino comes out on the field after the game: https://streamable.com/o3ngn

I fully expect him to play in the final. 

I should feel confident, but I don’t.  Will be a fascinating game. I hope Spurs have a bit of the “happy to be there”, but that’s tempered by the fact that it’s a league opponent that they know well.

I gotta go with this being a 50/50 matchup.  Liverpool on paper are better, but Tottenham won’t be scared a bit.  I really preferred Ajax 🤬
I think he was planning on playing against Everton on Sunday...

There was a local girl with Downs Syndrom that was being made fun of on social media, and Kane invited her to be a mascot for the final game.  He has been training, and CL is not actually secure yet.  

But, now with the CL final, it might be better to hold off on playing him now - lest he re-injure himself.  I think he will be on the bench though.

C'mon...

Liverpool needed 3 -- at home, in a half, after running full energy in the 1st half, and without Salah, without Firmino, without Robertson, and with Henderson on one good leg.  Did I also mention against Barcelona/Messi?

But I guess Spurs were away, so theirs was much more remarkable!!

I think he was planning on playing against Everton on Sunday...

There was a local girl with Downs Syndrom that was being made fun of on social media, and Kane invited her to be a mascot for the final game.  He has been training, and CL is not actually secure yet.  

But, now with the CL final, it might be better to hold off on playing him now - lest he re-injure himself.  I think he will be on the bench though.
Get him a 10 or 15 minute runout. 

From the Guardian:

"When everything changed, there were suddenly seven, eight, maybe even nine Ajax players flat out on the pitch, their faces buried into the turf, not wanting to see any more. Somehow, Spurs had done it and in those moments we were reminded, once again, about the glories of this sport, about how brutal football can be and how, every once in a while, there is a story that can make your bones vibrate."

With all the euphoria I felt, its easy to forget how that Ajax team must have felt at that same moment.  

Spurs should absolutely bubble wrap the starting XI.  Or at least the top 6-7.

Liverpool have no choice but to throw their regular team out there.  A ~10% chance is still a chance.

Spurs should absolutely bubble wrap the starting XI.  Or at least the top 6-7.

Liverpool have no choice but to throw their regular team out there.  A ~10% chance is still a chance.
As @GoFishTN noted - half of Spurs are injured, Son is suspended.  And, they need to keep it close - at a minimum - Arsenal still have an outside shot - which becomes easier/doable if Spurs give up 3.

So, I expect a pretty similar line-up to what you saw tonight - more Llorente, and no Son.

Liverpool needed 3 -- at home, in a half, after running full energy in the 1st half, and without Salah, without Firmino, without Robertson, and with Henderson on one good leg.  Did I also mention against Barcelona/Messi?

But I guess Spurs were away, so theirs was much more remarkable!!
Technically Pool only needed 2 in a half. They could have gotten the 3rd in extra time.  :grad:

Meh.  Barcelona was not good in the first leg (or even against ManU).  They had the 3-0 lead on luck and Messi's brilliance alone.  

Ajax was amazing throughout their CL campaign.  Rampant with brilliant soccer in the hearts of the sport, taking Madrid and Juve to task on the road.  And they fell apart at home 3-0 up.  Gutted for them.

Just found out Vertonghen was injured yesterday - presumably during the celebrations.  He left the stadium in a protective boot and on crutches...

I hope 3 weeks is enough time to recover.  :scared:

Did Poch give em all speed at halftime?
Somebody slipped them something before the game. It was crazy how slowly and disinterested they played in the first half- especially after watching how LIverpool used heart and effort alone to take control of their game (and some skill when they needed it). Alle was just awful, Son too. Lucas ws the only guy who seemed to understand they needed a little bit of effort to take the tie back.

So yeah, totally agree- whatever uppers Poch handed out at half definitely worked.

Users who are viewing this thread