What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ίβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ β€‹βš½β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ EURO 2020 βš½β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ ​πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ίβ€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ People are saying THIS is the new greatest moment in sports history (2 Viewers)

It was not a terrible kick. Β It wasn't a great kick either.

The aim was correct. Β For a low ball on the ground, the hardest place for a keeper to save is about 2-3 yards off-center - because the hips are the slowest part to get to the ground when you dive.

Unfortunately for Saka, his ball was elevated a little - so instead of going under the diving Donnarumma, it was the perfect height for a save.

Seems to a total ignoramus like me that it was the worst possible shot. Just off-center enough for a dive to reach it.Β 
The worst possible shot is to miss the goal, or hit the post like Rashford.Β  A hard hit penalty like Saka's has a good chance to go in if the keeper dives the other way.

Ditto. Loved the last few games of the tournament. Have wanted to follow the sport more, but I honestly don't how to. It just seems so overwhelming with all the different leagues and the way the players move around, etc. How do you keep it straight? What's my best bet to try to watch more? The Premier League Saturdays on NBC Sports? Something else? Can't see myself ever getting into MLS, but who knows.
In terms of structure, think of club soccerΒ like college fb/bbΒ (if you’re into that).

just like in college football, you have the β€œPower 5” leagues (England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France) and then β€œeveryone else”. Β But also just like college, the other leagues have a couple of decent to strong teams that can compete with the big boys.

instead of bowl season/March MadnessΒ at the end of the year, you have the inter-league tournaments concurrent with the league season:

NCAA tournament = Champions League

NIT = Europa League (roughly)

EPL is a decent place to start, but there’s so much content available now, you can practically follow whoever and however you want. Β Some adopt clubs, others follow specific players like US players abroad.

And if you live in an MLS market, I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand. Β It’s certainly firmly in the β€œeveryone else” bucket, but the league itselfΒ is kind of crazy, continually improving, and has great atmosphere in most cities. Β PlusΒ there’s nothing thing like supporting your home team, especially when there’s an incrediblyΒ remote but not impossible chance that someday your home team could end up playing a European big club with actualΒ stakes.

Just to be that guy, and because I was shouting this at the radio in my car earlier today - this is a Donnarumma save, not a Saka miss.
I disagree a little.Β  If you pause it right where the keeper saves it, it was just barely off center.Β  This was not a shot in the corner that was a finger tip save nor was it hit with really any power.Β  This shot had only one chance to go in and that was if Donnarumma guessed wrong.

To me a shot too close to the keeper is the same as a miss.Β  Β  Some of these do go in though since the keeper guesses the wrong way.
I guess its probably semantics on save orΒ miss, or at least highly subjective.Β I think Saka's shot was the best of the last three England penalties.Β  I agree, though - if the keeper guesses right, he's going to save it more often than not.Β I did think it had some good power behind it, so maybe we disagree on that but not something worth arguing.Β  I would say its a better penalty than Morata's against Italy, which was in the same place but much weaker imo and an easy save.Β Β 

In terms of structure, think of club soccerΒ like college fb/bbΒ (if you’re into that).

just like in college football, you have the β€œPower 5” leagues (England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France) and then β€œeveryone else”. Β But also just like college, the other leagues have a couple of decent to strong teams that can compete with the big boys.

instead of bowl season/March MadnessΒ at the end of the year, you have the inter-league tournaments concurrent with the league season:

NCAA tournament = Champions League

NIT = Europa League (roughly)

EPL is a decent place to start, but there’s so much content available now, you can practically follow whoever and however you want. Β Some adopt clubs, others follow specific players like US players abroad.

And if you live in an MLS market, I wouldn’t dismiss it out of hand. Β It’s certainly firmly in the β€œeveryone else” bucket, but the league itselfΒ is kind of crazy, continually improving, and has great atmosphere in most cities. Β PlusΒ there’s nothing thing like supporting your home team, especially when there’s an incrediblyΒ remote but not impossible chance that someday your home team could end up playing a European big club with actualΒ stakes.
I'm in the Portland/Seattle area, so I've got a couple local MLS options

Holy crap....

Then yes, pick one of those teams immediately and attend a match if you can.Β  Both are incredibly fun.Β  Seattle also has a top team again this year.

Portland has sold out I think every game in its MLS existence.

@BeTheMatchThere are two ways people follow Euro soccer that I have seen if you don't have a direct connection to a team.

1) Adopt a team:Β  This is pretty much what it sounds like.Β  You pick a league and then pick a team and then start following it like it is your own local team you have been following since you were a kid.Β Β  The internet makes this very easy to accomplish outside of actually attending games

2) Follow a player: Some of us have no ability or connection to adopt a team but we are big US Mens National Team fans so we instead follow the US players and root for what ever teams they happen to be playing on at the time in Europe.

Some fans even do both of these.

@BeTheMatchThere are two ways people follow Euro soccer that I have seen if you don't have a direct connection to a team.

1) Adopt a team:Β  This is pretty much what it sounds like.Β  You pick a league and then pick a team and then start following it like it is your own local team you have been following since you were a kid.Β Β  The internet makes this very easy to accomplish outside of actually attending games

2) Follow a player: Some of us have no ability or connection to adopt a team but we are big US Mens National Team fans so we instead follow the US players and root for what ever teams they happen to be playing on at the time in Europe.

I like both options. I'd probably want to follow a team I'd be able to watch a lot of, so again, does that mean an EPL team?

Is there a list somewhere showing where the top USMNT players are rostered? And when?

Thanks for the info!

Is there a list somewhere showing where the top USMNT players are rostered? And when?
we have a super active USMNT thread here on the forums that are constantly talking about this.

Here are the bigger name players and where they play in Europe.Β  We always update the thread if and when they are on TV for any given week.

Christian Pulisic: Chelsea (EPL/England)

Weston McKennie: Juventus (Serie A/Italy)

Tyler Adams: RBL (Bundesliga/Germany)

Yunus Musah: Valencia (La Liga/Spain)

Zach Steffen: Man City (EPL/England)

Giovanni Reyna: Dortmund (Bundesliga/Germany)

Sergino Dest: Barcelona (La Liga/Spain)

John Brooks: Wolfsburg (Bundesliga/Germany)

Timothy Weah: Lille (Ligue 1/France)

Brandon Aaronson: RBS (Bundesliga/Austria)

There are dozens of others as well but I won't list them all here.

If you are interested, start following the US thread (and the Gold Cup thread since that's where we are camped for now) and ask any questions you might have.Β  The knowledge base is remarkably large for a American football board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Β I'd probably want to follow a team I'd be able to watch a lot of, so again, does that mean an EPL team?
If you get certain streaming services, you will have access to more games than you could ever watch in ten life times every weekend for a ton of different leagues.Β 

I think in the main soccer thread, some one recently summarized all the various options and whom owns which properties.Β 

If you get certain streaming services, you will have access to more games than you could ever watch in ten life times every weekend for a ton of different leagues.Β 

I think in the main soccer thread, some one recently summarized all the various options and whom owns which properties.Β 
Here you go

1) Peacock -- $49.99/year (or $4.99/month) -- Gets you EPL

2) Paramount+ -- $49.99/year (or $4.99/month) -- Gets you Serie A and UEFA Champions League/Europa League plus NWSL, Argentina's Primera Division, WCQ, and Brasileirao League

3) ESPN+ -- $59.99/year (or $5.99/month) -- (It's included with Verizon unlimited plans FYI) -- La Liga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, English Championship

So, for $100 for the year ($160 if you don't have Verizon) should be covered with everything. Our YouTubeTV has NBCSports and Fox Sports to cover everything else.Β 

Anything I'm missing here?

ETA -- For ESPN+, there's the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ bundle. This is actually what is included with Verizon. If you don't have them but may have Disney, then look at the bundle as it should save you $.Β 

Appreciate all the info guys!Β  :thanks:

Now... who wants to pick out which EPL team I shouldΒ follow??? I'm not a bandwagon guy. I typically find myself cheering for underdogs. But I also don't want some pig of a team that NEVER wins. It would be ideal ifΒ a team like that hadΒ a US player(s) too. So who am I describing?

Now... who wants to pick out which EPL team I shouldΒ follow??? I'm not a bandwagon guy. I typically find myself cheering for underdogs. But I also don't want some pig of a team that NEVER wins. It would be ideal ifΒ a team like that hadΒ a US player(s) too. So who am I describing?
:popcorn: Β for all the EPL honks about to descend.

My advice for questions like this is usually just watch a few games as a neutral and let the team pick you.

I also echo @NewlyRetiredto go check out a Timbers and/or Sounders match live. Β I got to get to Providence Park someday.

The US player part makes it tough.Β  The two main US players play on Chelsea and Man City (one is the EPL champ and one is the Champions League champ) so neither fit underdogs).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kafka said:
Hey guys, I just wanted to thank all of you for keeping these soccer threads excellent.Β  I know I've been MIA for awhile...its been a difficult year.Β  When I came back, it's like I never left.Β  I've thoroughly enjoyed this Euro threadΒ (capped off with the dream outcome for me).

I can be as sarcastic as hell, and act like a child, and it's still cool.

You've guys helped more than you know, helping me push all that darkness behind me.

Grazie, fratelli.
%^&*@!

BeTheMatch said:

BeTheMatch said:

WRONG THREAD

ahem...just practicing.Β 

Seriously though, for the gritty underdog, pm @shaderΒ for his team.

This is the offseason and transfers are going to happen- we might see some US players making moves, especially guys like Sargent and Hoppe whos teams in Germany were relegated to the lower division for next season.

Reyna at Dortmund will hopefully be a good one to watch this year- might be poised to explode to superstar status. DortmundΒ one of the better teams in Germany and usually challenging the only team that ever wins, Bayern Munich.Β Redbull Leipzig has board favorite and US indispensable Adams and newly signed US teen Caden Clark , along with new US coach Jesse Marsch amd has also been challenging Bayern for the title.

and not too shabby watchingΒ Dest play with Messi at Barcelona.

I'd Recommend you and @General Malaisehang out in theΒ  soccer thread(s) when rhe season starts and get a feel for the teams and players. And lots and lots of posts about rumors about a lower divisionΒ Italian team, Milan.

BeTheMatch said:
Ditto. Loved the last few games of the tournament. Have wanted to follow the sport more, but I honestly don't how to. It just seems so overwhelming with all the different leagues and the way the players move around, etc. How do you keep it straight? What's my best bet to try to watch more? The Premier League Saturdays on NBC Sports? Something else? Can't see myself ever getting into MLS, but who knows.
Start with players you really liked watching during the tournament and follow them at their clubs.Β 

BeTheMatch said:

Go for #21 ... none of the above.Β 

Pick BvB Dortmund.

Go for #21 ... none of the above.Β 

Pick BvB Dortmund.
Since I follow US players and not a team, I find the Bundesliga is a blast to watch.Β  One of the best atmosphere's in the world for their games.Β 

Their biggest problem is they have one super team.Β  Β Bayern is just too good for the rest of the league.Β  Β At least the EPL has a handful of teams each year who look the part.

Since I follow US players and not a team, I find the Bundesliga is a blast to watch.Β  One of the best atmosphere's in the world for their games.Β 

Their biggest problem is they have one super team.Β  Β Bayern is just too good for the rest of the league.Β  Β At least the EPL has a handful of teams each year who look the part.
But when that underdog that you support gets that title from the club(s) on top, it's pretty damn sweet.

NewlyRetired said:

Actually, 2 led me to 1 ... many many years ago.

CletiusMaximus said:
My first world cup was 1982, and everyone complained about games being decided by penalty kicks. That continued in 1986, and we eventually got the short-lived, ill-fated Golden Goal and Silver Goal.Β  I've never experienced a knock-out tournament where people weren't disappointed by a game being decided by penalty kicks, where that was not a topic of conversation. But we live with it and enjoy these wonderful moments nonetheless, and appreciate a great finish to a great tournament.

On the radio this morning driving to my office, Mike Greenberg is talking about this and I'm pretty sure he believes he's the first person in the history of the world to ever have the opinion that it is unfortunate for a game to be decided by penalty kicks.Β  Like, he's breaking new ground here and is proud he can't name a single player but still has a really brilliant opinion to share with us.Β  So he brings on his soccer expert guy who knows nothing about the game and has no intention to challenge Greenberg. And of course Greenberg has no interest in discussing the game, any of the players involved or the big stories coming from this fantastic game and fantastic tournament, but wants to focus on his brilliant plan to "fix" the game for those of us who actually watch it.
This is a great time to put this Derek Rae Tweet from todayΒ 

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

political types (not all obviously) of various different stripes on Twitter seem to take great pleasure in telling us how bored they are by . Do they believe it makes them look good, likeable, thoughtful? Exceptionalists are strange creatures. Thank goodness for the world.

11:52 AM Β· Jul 12, 2021Β·Twitter for iPad

NewlyRetired said:
This is funny.

I thought Donnarumma was just acting like a total boss when he walked away from the Saka shot as cool as a cucumber.

It turns out he lost track of the score and had no idea Italy won until he saw all his teammates attacking him :)
Nah he's being modest. He's a cold calculating killer.Β 

NewlyRetired said:
The US player part makes it tough.Β  The two main US players play on Chelsea and Man City (one is the EPL champ and one is the Champions League champ) so neither fit underdogs).
Only team who might work despite never winning much is Newcastle United. Yedlin is still there but maybe sold however they are front runners for Cameron Vickers and are interested in Matthew Hoppe.Β 

%^&*@!

WRONG THREAD

ahem...just practicing.Β 

Seriously though, for the gritty underdog, pm @shaderΒ for his team.

This is the offseason and transfers are going to happen- we might see some US players making moves, especially guys like Sargent and Hoppe whos teams in Germany were relegated to the lower division for next season.

Reyna at Dortmund will hopefully be a good one to watch this year- might be poised to explode to superstar status. DortmundΒ one of the better teams in Germany and usually challenging the only team that ever wins, Bayern Munich.Β Redbull Leipzig has board favorite and US indispensable Adams and newly signed US teen Caden Clark , along with new US coach Jesse Marsch amd has also been challenging Bayern for the title.

and not too shabby watchingΒ Dest play with Messi at Barcelona.

I'd Recommend you and @General Malaisehang out in theΒ  soccer thread(s) when rhe season starts and get a feel for the teams and players. And lots and lots of posts about rumors about a lower divisionΒ Italian team, Milan.
Thank god we don't get many Inter post....Β 

BeTheMatch said:
I was brand new to the sport when I started playing FIFA and got into it. Then I started watching and attending our local USL team. Finally, my girlfriend had a conference in Glasgow so we made a vacation out of it. I wanted to see a Premier League game and Newcastle were the only team close to Glasgow and had a game while we were there, so now I’m a Newcastle supporter.

I was still a know-nothing but joined the EPL fantasy league @Sinn FeinΒ runs here anyway and that really got me up to speed on the EPL. I’m still way behind in the other leagues but I follow the standings. I also track the American players abroad with the folks here, so you get exposure to leagues that way.

From @OptaJoe

7.86 - Spain amassed an expected goals (xG) total of 7.86 from the open play sequences that Pedri was involved in at EURO 2020; the highest total of any player at the tournament

25 - Jorginho made 25 interceptions for Italy at EURO 2020; the highest figure recorded at a single edition of the European Championships since this data is available (since 1980).

12 – Federico Chiesa recorded more ball carries that ended in either a shot (9) or chance created (3) than any other player at EURO 2020 (12). Indeed, three of those came in the final of the tournament, which was also the most of any player in the game

5 - Over Italy's first five matches at EURO 2020, Leonardo Spinazzola ranked first for dribbles completed (7), first for progressive carries (58), and second for chances created in open play (8) amongst the Azzurri squad

84% - Harry Maguire won 84 percent of his aerials duels at EURO 2020 (21/25), the best winning percentage in recorded EUROs history (since 1980) for any player involved in 25 aerial duels at a single edition

5/5 - Gianluigi Donnarumma has won each of the five games in which his team has faced penalty shootouts: three for his club and two for the National Team

12 – Federico Chiesa recorded more ball carries that ended in either a shot (9) or chance created (3) than any other player at EURO 2020 (12). Indeed, three of those came in the final of the tournament, which was also the most of any player in the game

From @OptaJoe

7.86 - Spain amassed an expected goals (xG) total of 7.86 from the open play sequences that Pedri was involved in at EURO 2020; the highest total of any player at the tournament

25 - Jorginho made 25 interceptions for Italy at EURO 2020; the highest figure recorded at a single edition of the European Championships since this data is available (since 1980).

5 - Over Italy's first five matches at EURO 2020, Leonardo Spinazzola ranked first for dribbles completed (7), first for progressive carries (58), and second for chances created in open play (8) amongst the Azzurri squad

84% - Harry Maguire won 84 percent of his aerials duels at EURO 2020 (21/25), the best winning percentage in recorded EUROs history (since 1980) for any player involved in 25 aerial duels at a single edition

5/5 - Gianluigi Donnarumma has won each of the five games in which his team has faced penalty shootouts: three for his club and two for the National Team

So Chiesa was 2x as good as any other player in the tournament...

Seems fair.

Users who are viewing this thread