What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No more Boy Scouts (1 Viewer)

Good, finally catching up with the times. As a former scout leader I was heartened that our particular Troop was inclusive of girls for awhile. It made it family friendly and offered opportunities to introduce more folks to the positives of the Scouting program.

I’m not up-to-date on the scouts, but was the girls scouts of America not as good or something?

I’m not outraged or anything, just curious .

Good, finally catching up with the times. As a former scout leader I was heartened that our particular Troop was inclusive of girls for awhile. It made it family friendly and offered opportunities to introduce more folks to the positives of the Scouting program.

I’m not up-to-date on the scouts, but was the girls scouts of America not as good or something?
Girl Scouts relies on the troop mom and often leans on the arts and crafts side rather than the outdoors kind of stuff, imo. That was the experience with my sisters while we were growing up and also my nieces about 10 years ago. They are two different programs and have different setups as far as organization and mission. Venture Scouts is where 16 and up co-ed teams converge and they do real adventures like Philmont, sailing, canoeing and backpacking trips of weeks duration.

My Boy Scout Troop was run in very military-like way. We started our weekly meetings having to stand at attention (then at ease), we said the Pledge of Allegiance and then did things like marching. We did calisthenics. We worked on a merit badge achievements. Then we played a game like dodge-ball and ended the night standing at attention and marching a little bit. Our troop was run by a 20 year ex-army guy and the assistant scoutmasters were his army buddies. I tapped out after about one year. Anyone else have a similar experience or was my troop overly military?

My Boy Scout Troop was run in very military-like way. We started our weekly meetings having to stand at attention (then at ease), we said the Pledge of Allegiance and then did things like marching. We did calisthenics. We worked on a merit badge achievements. Then we played a game like dodge-ball and ended the night standing at attention and marching a little bit. Our troop was run by a 20 year ex-army guy and the assistant scoutmasters were his army buddies. I tapped out after about one year. Anyone else have a similar experience or was my troop overly military?
mine was very militaristic as well we did the same stuff with standing at attention for the pledge then at ease while we heard the plan for the day and then being released to do our activities ours were always stuff that the dads were good at or stuff they did at work so we had things like chemistry aviation coins drafting and then the standards like archery fishing camping and canoeing and it was a lot of fun and when i was older i asked my sister why she didnt like all that stuff and she told me very matter of factly that when my pop and i would go off and do that stuff she was never invited so she never got in to it so i for one and am very glad that they are dropping the boy from scouting everyone should have the same chances take that to the bank brochachos

I wasn't in scouting, but my son's troop is not like that at all. Judging from all the interactions I've had with other troops in NJ, it seems like each troop has its own culture and way of doing things. Though they all share the goal of getting the kids to achieve advancement and merit badges.

A big reason for this is that achieving Eagle Scout is a HUGE deal in career paths such as engineering, and there is nothing equivalent from the Girl Scouts (dunno if they don't have one, or if it's not as respected in the real world as Eagle Scout is). Enabling girls to achieve Eagle Scout could help them deal with glass-ceiling issues later in life.

There were a number of sisters more invested in our Scout program than their brothers and they loved being a part of the team. Good experience for all of us.

I could see this. I can also see if you could somehow combine the two opening up all the different avenues to both sides and let them pick or something.

I assume the now newly named Scouts will also except girls and probably has been for a few years? Is the Girl Scouts a separate entity still?

A big reason for this is that achieving Eagle Scout is a HUGE deal in career paths such as engineering, and there is nothing equivalent from the Girl Scouts (dunno if they don't have one, or if it's not as respected in the real world as Eagle Scout is). Enabling girls to achieve Eagle Scout could help them deal with glass-ceiling issues later in life.
The Gold award is the highest rank for GSA, but doesn’t carry nearly the same weight as Eagle in the rest of society. Hopefully this opens some doors for more young women.

Ours became that and I left but I was already around 16 and ready to leave anyway. Before that, it was a lot of fun. My father even became scoutmaster for a couple of years. Once another father took over it became a lot stricter and a bunch of the older kids left. To be fair, it seems like many of the ones that stayed enjoyed the change. I made it to Life scout.

I’m not outraged or anything, just curious .

My daughter did girl scouts last year, but this year both her and my son joined "Scouting America" as it is now known. Their troop is 50/50 girls/boys although my sons den is all boys. Both my kids love it and they would be disappointed if we told them they could not do it next year.

No way my daughter would switch back either.

The BSA bankruptcy plan which was given final stamp of approval last year (mostly resolving the tens of thousands of abuse claims) is potentially going to come back into focus in legal/bankruptcy circles when the SCOTUS releases its decision in the Purdue Pharma case - likely in the next month or two. The key legal issue is whether a confirmed reorganization plan can provide non-debtor releases blessed by the bankruptcy court. In the BSA case, a huge fund was created to pay claimants, and various third parties were given protection from claims even though they were not part of the bankruptcy. Same thing in Purdue Pharma, where the company's bankruptcy plan sets up a massive fund to address all claims, and purports to release the Sackler family members and others from opioid damages lawsuits, even though none of those individuals have filed bankruptcy (for obvious reasons.) Bankruptcy geeks are all over this. Its not a political issue in any respect, but certainly will be reported as such when the decision comes out.

A big reason for this is that achieving Eagle Scout is a HUGE deal in career paths such as engineering,
I am in engineering and I have never come across being an Eagle Scout as "huge" deal in that profession.
certainly not a must but i've seen some employers give a lot of attention to it.
Seems odd. I wonder if it is regional. I have never once been asked or have discussed anything about boy/eagle scouts in any job discussion I have ever had. In fact, I don't think I know of anybody that is an eagle scout. I have also never seen it on a resume for anybody that has sent me resumes when I was looking to hire people over the years.

A big reason for this is that achieving Eagle Scout is a HUGE deal in career paths such as engineering,
I am in engineering and I have never come across being an Eagle Scout as "huge" deal in that profession.
certainly not a must but i've seen some employers give a lot of attention to it.
Seems odd. I wonder if it is regional. I have never once been asked or have discussed anything about boy/eagle scouts in any job discussion I have ever had. In fact, I don't think I know of anybody that is an eagle scout. I have also never seen it on a resume for anybody that has sent me resumes when I was looking to hire people over the years.
I mean this with the deepest respect as I'm older and matured. BUT in my area now and back then the scouts were usually "the nerdier" kids. Maybe not nerdier but kids that did not play sports

I recognize its not like that everywhere and I honestly mean no disrespect as I don't care what people are passionate about if it doesn't harm others. Just my own bias/experience growing up and now.

Last edited:
I mean this with the depeest respect as I'm older an matured. BUT in may area now and back then the scouts were usually "the nerdier" kids. Maybe not nerdier but kids that did not play sports

I recognize its not like that everywhere and I honestly mean no disrespect as I don't care what people are passionate about if it doesn't harm others. Just my own bias/experience growing up and now.
Not wrong. My son is socially awkward and he was the Brad Pitt of his troop.

He did achieve Eagle Scout though. And we went to the Bahamas for High Adventure. What a great week of my life that was; seriously awesome.

Combining girls and boys probably isn't too bad. From what I could see all Girl Scouts was was the Cookie Seller Mafia.

I mean this with the depeest respect as I'm older an matured. BUT in may area now and back then the scouts were usually "the nerdier" kids. Maybe not nerdier but kids that did not play sports

This is my perception growing up as well. Exactly how things were viewed around here.

Not wrong. My son is socially awkward and he was the Brad Pitt of his troop.

He did achieve Eagle Scout though. And we went to the Bahamas for High Adventure. What a great week of my life that was; seriously awesome.

Combining girls and boys probably isn't too bad. From what I could see all Girl Scouts was was the Cookie Seller Mafia.
My daughter did scouts for 3 months. She had fun doing activities that was about it. She was younger but she "got in trouble" for not attending enough so we were like ok bye

My scouts story: out of college I applied for a job that didn't say who the employer was. I forget what the title was. Program manager or something.

It felt very much like an old boy's club when I interviewed. The guy said "The day they let gays in is the day I quit."

They offered me the job, but I took one that paid a lot less just because the interview was so bad.

Looking back, it's humorous to me that was his complaint given all the lawsuits that followed.

I admit to being on the nerdy side as a kid and knew that was the perception of scouts but I didn't care. Being able to get out of Queens to go camping once a month and two weeks in the summer was awesome for a city kid. Not sure how it equates with sports though, since I played every sport possible all year long. Athleticism and competition is a big part of scouting.

I admit to being on the nerdy side as a kid and knew that was the perception of scouts but I didn't care. Being able to get out of Queens to go camping once a month and two weeks in the summer was awesome for a city kid. Not sure how it equates with sports though, since I played every sport possible all year long. Athleticism and competition is a big part of scouting.
My parts scouts was a replacement for sports after age 10;or so. That's all I meant

I know no one that was in the scouts
I liked Cub Scouts. I made it through two (2) boy scout meetings and quit after we just tied knots the second meeting and I was mad that I missed basketball practice for that.

My dad and brother are Eagle Scouts (I only made it to life). During my years recruiting for the law firm, I’ve probably seen 35 or so resumes with Eagle Scout designations on them. But those numbers have dwindled over time, and of the last 10 I’ve seen, I think 7 of them were Mormon.

I was in two different troops and neither were anything like you describe. Sure there were rituals and patriotic expressions, but nothing overtly militaristic. My first troop was an absolute blast and we did crazy fun stuff. Weeklong canoe trips, a 100-mile hike, wilderness survival where we dug out a snow cave where we slept overnight. And then we moved to another state and the troop there was super lame. I didn’t last long and dropped out before Eagle.

But the creeper thing is real. Came across a pedophile at Jamboree one year. Some quick thinking got me out of a situation that may have destroyed my life.

No opinion on scouting, but we've been removing opportunities for boys for decades now, and I know folks are seeing the results because it comes up in other threads.

I achieved eagle in a troop with a retired air force colonel as scoutmaster. I've worked with, and interviewed software engineers for 35 years and have never met another engineer admitting to be an eagle scout.

Last edited:
No opinion on scouting, but we've been removing opportunities for boys for decades now, and I know folks are seeing the results because it comes up in other threads.
Girl Scouts will stay exclusively for girls as their leaders will tell you that girls need their own space and they are already involved in plenty of mixed gender teams. That girls speak up more and excel in girl only environments. I’m not disputing that.

The family aspect has pros and cons. It is part safety for the kids and part trying to get families to have shared experiences and teachable moments. Except for those parents that are on their phone the whole meeting.

I’m a current Cub Master. Our Pack is predominantly of one Christian denomination. I did sign my son up looking for that experience with just the guys from his religious Ed classes going and doing cool stuff in nature. We have a couple girls in most Dens because they have brothers in the Pack. I haven’t seen it as a negative. Maybe some moms stepping in putting the end to fun involving tree climbing or schnenagins with rocks and sticks that as a dad I’d let play out.

Reactions: Zow
Do the Scouts still say the pledge of allegiance at their meetings?
Yes opening and closing flag ceremonies are loved in our Cub Scout pack. We teach how to properly fold the flag, that always draws a line of scouts wanting to learn how. We do flag retirements ceremonies once a year. Pretty good reverence out of the kids and they take it as seriously as 5th grade and under can.

i was in scouts in elementary. It was definitely mostly nerds. Dont think I did any in jr high.

My kids were in it, our troop was pretty lax. We’d even do unsanctioned camping and have a few beers

Then it basically disbanded because nobody wanted to run it. New pack was all ex military dudes that were in scouts together as kids. They were ok but also got burnt out and busy so we finally dropped out.

Overall I think it’s positive and I enjoyed my experience, but I also don’t care for the religious ties. I always skipped that part with our kids.

I also get a weird vibe from old dudes dressed as scouts, like the council type guys

i was in scouts in elementary. It was definitely mostly nerds. Dont think I did any in jr high.

My kids were in it, our troop was pretty lax. We’d even do unsanctioned camping and have a few beers

Then it basically disbanded because nobody wanted to run it. New pack was all ex military dudes that were in scouts together as kids. They were ok but also got burnt out and busy so we finally dropped out.

Overall I think it’s positive and I enjoyed my experience, but I also don’t care for the religious ties. I always skipped that part with our kids.

I also get a weird vibe from old dudes dressed as scouts, like the council type guys

I’d be careful talking about “unsanctioned camping” with Boy Scouts as an adult.

I’d be careful talking about “unsanctioned camping” with Boy Scouts as an adult.
IIRC all parents went. And it was at a regular campground not one of the BOA ones where you aren’t allowed to do anything

Yeah, the paid level guys can be a little off putting. We were fortunate to have a buffer, so to speak. We have one guy who probably owns more uniform shirts than all the other adult leaders in our troop and loves paperwork, but he’s a good guy and recognizes the rest of us will get things done if he keeps the “professionals” away from us, lol.

Other than a brief opening prayer by a Scout, which always seems to be weather-related, and dinner on campouts, the only time religion comes up is at the an Eagle Board.

Unless we get a group of friends who are athletes come in together, we do tend to tilt towards the nerd side. I think a big reason is sports coaches are unforgiving about missing a practice, so Scouts is always second choice and eventually they miss so much they stop coming.

Users who are viewing this thread