What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB J.J. McCarthy, MIN (1 Viewer)

Why is he a project with 28 games started?

Drake Maye: 28 starts.

We've had one year starters play as rookies, and he's been running Harbaugh for two years.
Just out of curiosity, how much of a haul can the chargers get for Herbert? Take McCarthy 1.05.
Honestly could not say other then I think he'd bring back the biggest haul in history because I think he'd be the most valuable commodity ever traded and I say with that respect to his talent, youth and existing contract.

I know you are just asking out of curiosity but other then being a major reason why I think Harbaugh took the job trading him would come with a $108M dead money hit and with a cap hit of $89m which would put the Chargers roughly $125M over the cap.

The First Read: 10 takeaways from 2024 NFL Scouting Combine's media availabilities

Excerpt:

J.J. McCarthy is the most intriguing quarterback prospect in this draft: Just like last year, there will be a handful of talented quarterbacks in this class. McCarthy, who led Michigan to a national championship, is going to be the one who generates the most questions among those with first-round potential. He didn't carry an offense in college in the way Caleb Williams, North Carolina's Drake Maye or LSU's Jayden Daniels did. He also doesn't have nearly as much experience as a starter as somebody like Washington's Michael Penix. What he does bring is an interesting combination of youth (he just turned 21 in January), athleticism and winning intangibles that led to him being 27-1 as a starter in his college career. McCarthy also has a chance to boost his stock this week, as he's throwing at the combine, while Williams, Maye and Daniels are not. When asked about McCarthy, one scout said, "I found him to be up and down. What you love is the leadership, the chip on his shoulder and the toughness he plays with. A lot of times he'll look like an NFL backup with average physical traits and then he'll put together clutch drives with big-time throws in big games. You really have to study him hard to sign off on him as a top pick. But one thing you can never underestimate at that position is the 'clutch' gene. It's hard to find."

Was not sold on McCarthy early last season to be a high first round pick. The more I have been watching the better he is looking. 6-3 and can still put on a few pounds. Very nimble with quick feet and has a rocket arm.

One thing the guy is a winner. Won National Title, only lost one game at Michigan, thought I read lost only one game in HS.

Only takes one team to love him and he is gone. Be interesting.

One thing the guy is a winner. Won National Title, only lost one game at Michigan, thought I read lost only one game in HS.

He actually lost two games in HS, one was in the championship game.

I know some people hate using wins as a QB stat and I'm not usually huge on it but his winning is just crazy.

Before he ever turned 21 he played for two HS's and Michigan and took all 3 of those teams as far as they could go.

Putting this one other way he's been a starting QB for 5 HS and college seasons and on top of winning 3 championships he's only had one regular season loss in 5 years.

An ideal fit for Sean Payton and the Broncos at pick #12, should he fall that far.

Quick decision-maker, throws with touch to all three levels and elite at working the middle of the field.

Not coincidentally these are many of the attributes that RW lacks

The more I read up on and watch these QBs, the more I am seeing a scenario where the Commandos and Pats shock the world with the following first three picks...

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

The more I read up on and watch these QBs, the more I am seeing a scenario where the Commandos and Pats shock the world with the following first three picks...

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy
Possible. What I've been thinking of is less the order and if McCarthy can ascend to such a degree that 4 QB's are held in such esteem that the Cardinals get moved out of pick 4 and we see something we've never seen before with QB's going 1-4.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy
Possible. What I've been thinking of is less the order and if McCarthy can ascend to such a degree that 4 QB's are held in such esteem that the Cardinals get moved out of pick 4 and we see something we've never seen before with QB's going 1-4.

If JJM does ascend to that level, I could see the Cards still taking Harrison (that pick just makes so much sense) and the Chargers sitting there with Hebert and in a position to cash-in on a QB-hungry team.

For those of you in SuperFlex, do you worry about the bust factor in taking McCarthy over a good player at another position?

No...if you do start seeing stuff that makes you concerned about him you will always have a window to trade a young QB and recoup some of your loss...I'm not saying I would take him over Harrison-Nabers-Bowers (and maybe Odunze) but other than that I wouldn't think twice about taking him if he does end up going reasonably high in the draft...in SF you can always figure out a way to get value out of a young QB drafted high.

For those of you in SuperFlex, do you worry about the bust factor in taking McCarthy over a good player at another position?

No...if you do start seeing stuff that makes you concerned about him you will always have a window to trade a young QB and recoup some of your loss...I'm not saying I would take him over Harrison-Nabers-Bowers (and maybe Odunze) but other than that I wouldn't think twice about taking him if he does end up going reasonably high in the draft...in SF you can always figure out a way to get value out of a young QB drafted high.
I agree with the last part, except if you wait too late (see Z Wilson, Trubisky, Lance, etc.).

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy
I am waiting for Daniels to drop a little

Some high-ranking team evaluators believe J.J. McCarthy is "going to go higher than most people think. Right now, my guess is he’ll be in play at two or three.”
Ben Standing

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

If JJM does ascend to that level, I could see the Cards still taking Harrison (that pick just makes so much sense) and the Chargers sitting there with Hebert and in a position to cash-in on a QB-hungry team.
I personally think the Cardinals are dreaming of a scenario where someone covets a 4th QB enough to move them out. I don't think the gap between MHJ and Nabers/Odunze is as wide as some think, not for a lot of teams, not wide enough if they can add some more premium draft capital and not for a team with a lot of needs.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Some high-ranking team evaluators believe J.J. McCarthy is "going to go higher than most people think. Right now, my guess is he’ll be in play at two or three.”
Ben Standing
Chris Simms loves Daniels and has him his #2. I do as well and may end up a steal in start 1qb leagues in the 2nd round.

I agree with the last part, except if you wait too late (see Z Wilson, Trubisky, Lance, etc.).

Agreed…gotta make the decision as soon as you get that bust-vibe…once you miss the window you could really regret it.

Agreed…gotta make the decision as soon as you get that bust-vibe…once you miss the window you could really regret it.
I'm not a SF guy, but I already figured out that busting with a #1 pick on a bad QB is a roster killer in a SF format. Especially since you probably passed on a top guy at another position.

I'm not a SF guy, but I already figured out that busting with a #1 pick on a bad QB is a roster killer in a SF format. Especially since you probably passed on a top guy at another position.

I am and what is worse is passing on a big time QB and having them hit…in SF if you are in a position where you can actually trade a young QB you are in a power position.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Ben Standing
Chris Simms loves Daniels and has him his #2. I do as well and may end up a steal in start 1qb leagues in the 2nd round.
I know your disdain for SF leagues but, as an example, in years like when people had to reach for Isaiah Spiller (a 4th rd pick behind a stud in Ekeler) at the end of the 1st or early 2nd while the QBs fall makes way less sense to me than being forced to take a chance and drafting a starting QB (for who knows how long) in the 1st rounds of a fantasy draft. And I play, and enjoy, both types of leagues.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Ben Standing
I know your disdain for SF leagues but, as an example, in years like when people had to reach for Isaiah Spiller (a 4th rd pick behind a stud in Ekeler) at the end of the 1st or early 2nd while the QBs fall makes way less sense to me than being forced to take a chance and drafting a starting QB (for who knows how long) in the 1st rounds of a fantasy draft. And I play, and enjoy, both types of leagues.
While I'm skeptical of SF, I know longer have disdain. I'm learning more and more as time passes. I do think they have their warts, but I can also see why a lot of people like them.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Ben Standing
While I'm skeptical of SF, I know longer have disdain. I'm learning more and more as time passes. I do think they have their warts, but I can also see why a lot of people like them.

Not to go off on a tangent but I am a big SF fan...especially if it is a 10-team league...I am a big believer in doing everything possible as a league to make all the positions as close in value as possible so you can implement totally different strategies to build your team...I just don't like the old draft a QB late and/or pick one up on waivers in week 14 and you are totally fine old school leagues...on the flip-side I do not like 2 QB-leagues as the QB become way too important and an Owner that gets some bad luck with injuries gets totally screwed and can have their season ended with almost no hope to do anything about it outside of having to make a silly trade...with SF you still have the option to use other positions so you can also figure out a way to compete if you get QB injuries and I have even seen some Owners make some monster deals with their QB depth and go thin at the position and do very well because they loaded up so well at the other positions.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Ben Standing

Not to go off on a tangent but I am a big SF fan...especially if it is a 10-team league...I am a big believer in doing everything possible as a league to make all the positions as close in value as possible so you can implement totally different strategies to build your team...I just don't like the old draft a QB late and/or pick one up on waivers in week 14 and you are totally fine old school leagues...on the flip-side I do not like 2 QB-leagues as the QB become way too important and an Owner that gets some bad luck with injuries gets totally screwed and can have their season ended with almost no hope to do anything about it outside of having to make a silly trade...with SF you still have the option to use other positions so you can also figure out a way to compete if you get QB injuries and I have even seen some Owners make some monster deals with their QB depth and go thin at the position and do very well because they loaded up so well at the other positions.

Good post. My favorite league is a 2qb league and with them dropping like flies last year the issues you describe were amplified. I don't think we'll ever change to SF because it's been around since 2001, and one of the original ideas was qbs should be the most important position because it is irl. But last year was just a mess for several owners. In some ways that's been the fun of it for years though.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Ben Standing

I'm learning more and more everyday about SF and have more respect for them today than I did this time last year. I still think they put too much importance on the QB position, thus the reason why I haven't taken the plunge.

1. Williams
2. Daniels
3. McCarthy

Ben Standing

I'm learning more and more everyday about SF and have more respect for them today than I did this time last year. I still think they put too much importance on the QB position, thus the reason why I haven't taken the plunge.
I currently have 1 dynasty SF team and 1 non SF. My SF team made the Championship game with Justin Fields as the QB. I picked up Flacco along the way as well but I very rarely started them both. I’ll have to go back and check. Of course a lot of this is dependent on league and scoring settings but not all SF leagues are created equally. I was very hesitant to join one as well before I took the plunge. I’m glad I did.

I had heard interested teams were hoping he'd be in the 210 mix so this is really good.

Will he still run today? Not that I care how fast he runs, just that if this is real weight he can still move with or did is this weight we won't see in a few weeks or less.

Russini and Jeff Howe with The Athletic and multiple beat writes for the Cardinals are all saying they are hearing that Arizona is open to moving back. I believe McCarthy's value is the biggest assist they can get for this goal, this should help.

I had heard interested teams were hoping he'd be in the 210 mix so this is really good.

Will he still run today? Not that I care how fast he runs, just that if this is real weight he can still move with or did is this weight we won't see in a few weeks or less.

Russini and Jeff Howe with The Athletic and multiple beat writes for the Cardinals are all saying they are hearing that Arizona is open to moving back. I believe McCarthy's value is the biggest assist they can get for this goal, this should help.
He ate a box of Glazers just before the weigh-in.

Tight hammy. Not going to run.

He better be Burrow with those little hands
After Burrow, I think we have to say 9 inch hands are fine. I would have thought this was a problem considering I’m not a huge guy and my hands are a little bigger but I guess it’s not a problem at this point.

J.J. McCarthy says he had formal meetings with the following teams at the NFL Combine:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chicago Bears
Washington Commanders
New England Patriots
NY Giants
Atlanta Falcons
Minnesota Vikings
Las Vegas Raiders
Denver Broncos
New Orleans Saints
Seattle Seahawks

He better be Burrow with those little hands
After Burrow, I think we have to say 9 inch hands are fine. I would have thought this was a problem considering I’m not a huge guy and my hands are a little bigger but I guess it’s not a problem at this point.

Maybe but Burrow is a unicorn. He might be fine but there is not much success with that hand size.
If JJ fails, I think there are plenty of reasons more significant than his hand size

I think that the top 7 in superflex are pretty locked in right now until the reality draft. If things stay the same, I see McCarthy going in the 1.08-1.10 range, which is where Zach Wilson (and, if I remember correctly, Justin Herbert) went. At that point, the bust factor is probably fairly equal with regard to other positions. In 2020, if you worried about the bust factor with Herbert, you could have taken Jeudy, Reagor or Ke'Shawn Vaughn instead. In 2021, it was probably Zach Wilson or Javonte Williams, and Javonte was obviously the better pick but wasn't exactly a world-beater. In 2022, the back half of the first had Kenny Pickett, Jameson Williams and Skyy Moore, as well as Olave, Christian Watson and Pickens.

Like someone else said, QBs do tend to hold their value even if they bomb. You could still fetch a 2nd-rounder for Wilson or Pickett before their second season. And, obviously if they hit like Herbert did, you can trade for a ransom.

I liked what I saw from McCarthy off the field yesterday. He was good in the box with the NFLN guys. Mature answers and someone I can see teams wanting as their face man.

He also stuck around after his group went to hang out with the following group and cheer them on. When Worthy tied/broke the record he ran 60 yards downfield to celebrate with him. Thats the type of thing that makes me think he will be a good leader. Teams saw this as well.

Users who are viewing this thread