What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Josh Jacobs, GB (1 Viewer)

Any feel for if Jacobs is a go this week?

Good matchup. Indy a run funnel for sure.

Last waiver run of the year. Jacobs was actually dropped yesterday out of desperation. My opponent has Pacheco so he's going for both of Jacobs and CEH. Need to block.

Even if Jacobs plays I would guess they would still want White involved...Jacobs is a FA after this year and White is auditioning for a quality role next year and I would think they would want to see more of him the next two games.

Last waiver run of the year. Jacobs was actually dropped yesterday out of desperation. My opponent has Pacheco so he's going for both of Jacobs and CEH. Need to block.

Even if Jacobs plays I would guess they would still want White involved...Jacobs is a FA after this year and White is auditioning for a quality role next year and I would think they would want to see more of him the next two games.
Good point.

Who would you rather your opponent NOT have this week? Jacobs or CEH?

Good point.

Jacobs for sure.

if they weren't in playoff contention maybe but if Jacobs is healthy would be shocked if White got more than 5 carries

Good point.

I would be totally fine playing against CEH...he is what he is.

ESPN’s Matt Bowen believes Josh Jacobs would be a good fit in the Cowboys offense.

With Tony Pollard seemingly on his way out of Dallas after a disappointing 2023 campaign, the team could turn to free agent Jacobs as their primary back on a short-term deal. Bowen described Jacobs, 26, as “a volume grinder, with the low pad level to finish runs and the quickness to make defenders miss” — a profile that would fit well in Mike McCarthy’s offense. Jacobs, per Bowen, could also be “utilized as a receiving option” in the pass-heavy Dallas system. Jacobs, who had more than 50 receptions in 2021 and 2022 before his injury-shortened 2023 season, would have quite a bit of fantasy appeal should he land in Dallas this offseason.

That'd be some weird logic on the Cowboys part.

Let's replace a RB who was decent, but not as good as hoped in 2023, with a guy who was a huge disappointment in 2023, is less durable, and has twice the mileage.

Personally, I kinda doubt Jacobs leaves the Raiders, but if I were Dallas I'd prefer Pollard by a decent margin.

The Athletic’s Tashan Reed reports the Raiders have “yet to engage in contract extension talks” with impending free agent Josh Jacobs.

Reed believes the Raiders are unlikely to slap a second straight franchise tag on Jacobs since it would run a hefty $13.669 million, so a multi-year agreement would seem to be his only potential avenue to remaining in Silver and Black. Jacobs suffered through a down 2023 after reporting late, but he was a valued team leader under then interim and now permanent head coach Antonio Pierce. The Raiders have plenty of cap space, and new GM Tom Telesco frequently invested in the position in Los Angeles. There’s a very real chance Jacobs departs, but it’s not a fait accompli.

(Rotowire) GM Tom Telesco said Tuesday that the Raiders will make an effort to re-sign Jacobs (quadriceps) even though a franchise tag isn't expected, Paul Gutierrez of ESPN.com reports. "We're going to explore pretty hard and see if we can bring [Jacobs] back," said Telesco.
Analysis: Telesco all but confirmed a recent Adam Schefter report suggesting Jacobs won't get a franchise tag. That's no surprise given the $14.15 million price combined with Jacobs' disappointing 2023 campaign, but it doesn't mean the Raiders aren't interested in bring him back on a cheaper deal. What's less clear is if they'll make a serious effort to re-sign him before free agency or simply let him test the market once the legal tampering period begins March 11.

Bears have a ton of cap space, Caleb Williams (seemingly), and another top-ten pick. This is exactly the scenario where a 26-yr-old former rushing champ gets paid big $$$, in an otherwise depressed RB market.
It is. If I personally were overpaying, I dont think RB is the direction I go, but they can make it work. I am just not sold on Jacobs being truly a difference maker.

He's a lot better than Montgomery too.

I kinda feel like people are forgetting we are only a year removed from the guy being the best RB in the NFL.

I'd be ok with Jacobs in Chicago, as long as he's not breaking 10 million a year. Otherwise, I'd rather get Pollard for cheaper, or just stick with Herbert/Johnson, and maybe bring Foreman back. RB isn't really a need, but a top guy would certainly help a young QB.

He's a lot better than Montgomery too.

I kinda feel like people are forgetting we are only a year removed from the guy being the best RB in the NFL.

I'd be ok with Jacobs in Chicago, as long as he's not breaking 10 million a year. Otherwise, I'd rather get Pollard for cheaper, or just stick with Herbert/Johnson, and maybe bring Foreman back. RB isn't really a need, but a top guy would certainly help a young QB.
Is he really better? Maybe a little. I don't think many people in the world think he was the best RB in the NFL last year. He got a lot of work in 2022 but his efficiency numbers were just ok.

Can't wait to see the structure and I think they are trying to keep Jones, if they don't would be a massive win for Jacobs.

People on the twitter seem surprised but I'm not, and never thought their reported interest in Johnathan Taylor last year was reported in error.

I'm with you guys. Green Bay was one of the last teams I would have forecasted him to.

My guess is that they're going the Kansas City route. They want to win games on the ground, especially in the winter.

Not sure how much Aaron Jones makes or how many years he has left, but this cripples his value. Jacobs wouldn't have signed if he wasn't promised the football.

I'll come back to this once I've had time to research further. But in theory I should love Josh Jacobs in that offense.

BTW, I don't think there were any promises made to Jacobs. RB is the toughest gig in the NFL.

That's why I started subscribing to the "shotgun" strategy in FF. You're going to see more of these combos. It's a brutal position.

BTW, I don't think there were any promises made to Jacobs. RB is the toughest gig in the NFL.

That's why I started subscribing to the "shotgun" strategy in FF. You're going to see more of these combos. It's a brutal position.
You could be right, it just seems really fast for Jacobs to sign into RBBC.

Aaron Jones has an $11 mill salary they can get away from, by cutting him.

I am going to assume he takes a cut, or gets cut.

Got zero doubt he'll beat Swift and Pollard's deals but I got to say not hearing reports of the money yet leaves me starting to think it may not be by much. When it's great for the player we usually hear about it quickly.

Maybe GB is asking for them to be cool while they try and work out a restructure with Jones?

Actually a nice pair - can move Jones to more of a receiving option where he thrives more and let Jacobs do the thumping that Dillon couldn't.
Maybe. But Jacobs is one of the better receiving backs too. I’d have thought they’d sign pollard if they wanted RBBC.

Aaron Jones has an $11 mill salary they can get away from, by cutting him.

I am going to assume he takes a cut, or gets cut.
Didn't he decline the pay cut? That's why I think he's gone and Jacobs is in.
No, he took one last year and reports are they are currently working on another one with him.

Now it's possible Jacobs contract ruffles him and he won't take less (then Jacobs) so no guarantees but it's still going on.

You could be right, it just seems really fast for Jacobs to sign into RBBC.
I believe Jacobs knows he'll get plenty of touches. Jones has had a hard time staying healthy.

That said, it wouldn't shock me if Jones wanted out. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

since they have their receiving options on rookie deals…IMO, they could opt to keep Jones at his current number this year.

since they have their receiving options on rookie deals…IMO, they could opt to keep Jones at his current number this year.

I think they'll keep both, the more I think about it, he's their replacement for AJ Dillon.

Aaron Jones turns 30 this year on last year of contract and has been habitually injured.

They'll keep him around, but I imagine they will feature Josh Jacobs and sprinkle in Aaron Jones.

I think they'll keep both, the more I think about it, he's their replacement for AJ Dillon.

Aaron Jones turns 30 this year on last year of contract and has been habitually injured.

They'll keep him around, but I imagine they will feature Josh Jacobs and sprinkle in Aaron Jones.

yes - conventional wisdom in the Packer world is that AJ is gone. He's a free agent but is beloved locally and hasn't yet said his good-byes publicly so there was a question mark there. Most assume this move confirms that AJ is surely gone.

Got zero doubt he'll beat Swift and Pollard's deals but I got to say not hearing reports of the money yet leaves me starting to think it may not be by much. When it's great for the player we usually hear about it quickly.
Going to say again it's odd, to me at least, we've not heard his contract details. Immediately heard them for Swift, Pollard and Barkley.

Just find it curious. Frankly with respect to his age and ability I considered him the top FA RB and thought he'd get the most pay.

These are my thoughts as well.

I wasn't initially thrilled with the idea, but I like it the more I think about it, at least from the Packers perspective. The devil is in the details of course. I doubt they are handing him a huge deal, but it is surprising he agreed to something so early if it wasn't at least fairly significant. That said, if it's just a bit higher than the other backs this year, and isn't a ton guaranteed, I'm quite fine with it.

I doubt they are handing him a huge deal, but it is surprising he agreed to something so early if it wasn't at least fairly significant.

We'll see, but I'm guessing Jacobs' deal is closer to Saquan's (~$12mm per year), than Swift/Pollard ($8MM per). Good news is I think Jacobs is worth it. He's still young and a true 3-down back. The only key trait Jacobs lacks is top speed. His vision, balance, quickness, power, hands, blocking are all very good to elite. He's a bigger and younger version of Jones and health permitting, I am confident he'll be a beast in Green Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread