What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (2 Viewers)

Doc said I need to cutback on caffeine
Cut back on your doctor.
Yeah, coffee* is great for you. Arguably one of the healthiest things you can consume. Decreases overall risk of death, stroke, dementia, Parkinson’s, liver disease/cancer and diabetes. Benefits have been shown up to six cups/day.

Caffeine is pretty good, too, though can been an issue if you have insomnia. If that’s the case, decaf appears to confer many of the same health benefits.

*black coffee, not sugar and cream-laden novelty beverages
Well when your blood pressure is a little high and you drink 40 to 50 oz of coffee a day, I'll listen to my doctor

Cut back on your doctor.
Yeah, coffee* is great for you. Arguably one of the healthiest things you can consume. Decreases overall risk of death, stroke, dementia, Parkinson’s, liver disease/cancer and diabetes. Benefits have been shown up to six cups/day.

Caffeine is pretty good, too, though can been an issue if you have insomnia. If that’s the case, decaf appears to confer many of the same health benefits.

Well when your blood pressure is a little high and you drink 40 to 50 oz of coffee a day, I'll listen to my doctor
I don’t expect you to listen to me, as it’s quite clear you’re not my biggest fan.

That said, losing weight will do a lot more for your blood pressure than reducing coffee intake. Moreover, its not clear habitual coffee consumption increases blood pressure at all, as some studies have found it protective against hypertension.

Heck, if it’s just “a little high” drink decaf, as any (weak, at best) association between coffee and BP is presumably due to the caffeine.

Again, I know you don’t like me, and certainly don’t expect you to question your doc without good reason. Feel free to search the medical literature on-line if you believe anything I’m telling you is off-base.

Cut back on your doctor.

I don’t expect you to listen to me, as it’s quite clear you’re not my biggest fan.

That said, losing weight will do a lot more for your blood pressure than reducing coffee intake. Moreover, its not clear habitual coffee consumption increases blood pressure at all, as some studies have found it protective against hypertension.

Heck, if it’s just “a little high” drink decaf, as any (weak, at best) association between coffee and BP is presumably due to the caffeine.

Again, I know you don’t like me, and certainly don’t expect you to question your doc without good reason. Feel free to search the medical literature on-line if you believe anything I’m telling you is off-base.
Medical advice from a doctor is usually individualized so there are prob other factors going into the recommendation other than just blood pressure.

Cut back on your doctor.

Medical advice from a doctor is usually individualized so there are prob other factors going into the recommendation other than just blood pressure.
I understand. They also can provide bad/outdated advice, or be misinterpreted. I’ve seen this first-hand hundreds of times.

Of the many potential changes one could recommend for improving health, coffee consumption should be really low on the list, if on it at all. Assuming we’re talking about unadulterated coffee in reasonable amounts, consumed orally, advice to cut coffee intake for mild hypertension is off=base.

The Mayo Clinic link he provided acknowledges the variability of coffee’s effect on blood pressure. It doesn’t address the lack of evidence coffee causes long-term harm from transient increases in BP. For comparison, exercise can also transiently increase blood pressure - would it surprise you if a doctor told an obese person with mild BP elevations, and no other symptoms, to reduce exercise below standard, safe levels?

Also notice the article focuses on caffeine, as decaf coffee could be easily substituted, instead of cutting back.

Cutting back coffee certainly won’t kill him, as he still can get the health benefits with lower consumption. It almost certainly won’t improve his health, either. At best, it’s a distraction from more pressing changes he can take to get healthier.

If you read my post I never said I cut out caffeine

Never said it. Doctor said to cut back on caffeine to normal levels.

Not once did I say I was cutting out caffeine all together.

And ftr I got a reading Tuesday and it was back to normal.

So I would like to thank my personal doctor.

Cut back on your doctor.

I understand. They also can provide bad/outdated advice, or be misinterpreted. I’ve seen this first-hand hundreds of times.

Of the many potential changes one could recommend for improving health, coffee consumption should be really low on the list, if on it at all. Assuming we’re talking about unadulterated coffee in reasonable amounts, consumed orally, advice to cut coffee intake for mild hypertension is off=base.

The Mayo Clinic link he provided acknowledges the variability of coffee’s effect on blood pressure. It doesn’t address the lack of evidence coffee causes long-term harm from transient increases in BP. For comparison, exercise can also transiently increase blood pressure - would it surprise you if a doctor told an obese person with mild BP elevations, and no other symptoms, to reduce exercise below standard, safe levels?

Also notice the article focuses on caffeine, as decaf coffee could be easily substituted, instead of cutting back.

Cutting back coffee certainly won’t kill him, as he still can get the health benefits with lower consumption. It almost certainly won’t improve his health, either. At best, it’s a distraction from more pressing changes he can take to get healthier.
:lmao:

I was just being a smartass with my comment. Didn't mean to start Caffeine War Extreme over here.

Cut back on your doctor.

So I should up my diet mountain dew consumption to a few a more cans a day? Except for the whole destruction of the gut biome.

Cut back on your doctor.

So I should up my diet mountain dew consumption to a few a more cans a day? Except for the whole destruction of the gut biome.
Nope. Coffee is good, largely from its non-caffeine content.

Diet Mountain Dew, not so much.

If you read my post I never said I cut out caffeine

Never said it. Doctor said to cut back on caffeine to normal levels.

Not once did I say I was cutting out caffeine all together.

And ftr I got a reading Tuesday and it was back to normal.

So I would like to thank my personal doctor.
I understand what you said, and replied appropriately. Glad your BP is better.

Yeah no comment. I basically started strong for 3-4 weeks, hit a goal, and have gone backwards. Luckily I didn't add back too many pounds (I think).

New year, new refocused start. GL everyone.
We all do that! I went past my guardrail weight of 195 during the holidays (just the typical too much food around plus the seasonal blues). Going to watch the Rose Bowl (just saw my son marching in the parade with Alabama's Million Dollar Band) then getting back on the plan. Actually looking forward to it. I've obviously enjoyed all the crap I've been eating, but I think it will feel good to get back on the healthier track.

Never been more motivated. Walk runs going well, golfing going well, stretching going well.

One more day of food debauchery and back in.

Did lose almost 10 pounds and maintained through the holidays

2024 lfg
I need to get on track this year and have been adding in 20-30 min of cardio daily. What are you doing on the diet side this year?

Also curious what you all think is a realistic amount to lose weekly if you really cut back food intake and don’t drink for the month?

When you are hungry what is y’all’s go to to fill up on but won’t prevent you from still losing?

Last edited:
I plan to build muscle and put on a little weight back after I meet my goals, but first stop for 2024 is a 1 in the first slot on the scale.

Starting weight: 233.2 lb

For those keeping track at home, my 2023 weight loss was -160 lb, -145 lb from surgery date in April.

You're making tremendous progress and sounds like a great plan. I did a similar thing in 2023 when I went from 220 to 195 slowly but surely by eating cleaner (less sugar, more protein) and implementing a regular strength training routine. Lifting weights will do wonders for your physique and make you feel better mentally. Amazing what a little extra natural testosterone can do for one's well being. Definitely considering TRT in a few years when the tank starts to run low but that's another discussion. Good luck in 2024!

Cut back on your doctor.

Yeah I know. I was kidding. Too bad straight coffee tastes so awful.

1/1/2024 - 291 (up 3 lbs from my original 25 lb drop of 313 to 288)

Have a doc appointment later this month. I already pushed it back a month because I knew the numbers wouldn't be good. Mostly concerned with the short term change in my A1C. I had dropped it out of diabetic range and am worried it might have moved back given my crappy diet. Have a couple weeks to jump start a change.

Cut back on your doctor.

Yeah I know. I was kidding. Too bad straight coffee tastes so awful.
Figured. Also, agree about the taste of coffee - I don’t drink it, or anything with caffeine, for that matter.

Never been more motivated. Walk runs going well, golfing going well, stretching going well.

One more day of food debauchery and back in.

Did lose almost 10 pounds and maintained through the holidays

2024 lfg
I need to get on track this year and have been adding in 20-30 min of cardio daily. What are you doing on the diet side this year?

Also curious what you all think is a realistic amount to lose weekly if you really cut back food intake and don’t drink for the month?

When you are hungry what is y’all’s go to to fill up on but won’t prevent you from still losing?
TBH for me the first 20ish pounds should be "easy", yes I'm older now but I'll flat out say I'm addicted to sugar. The weird part I don't drink a ton of soda and put no sugar in my coffee. What I do is snack at night or work boredom on a variety of cakes/cookies/donuts/chocolate....and I eat late at night. My actual meals aren't actually horrible. I don't eat fast food, I don't eat heavy meals.

I used to be an actual athlete up into my 30s so I never watched too closely lol.

So to start it's 1500 calories, keep moving daily, even if it's just walking. No eating after 6-630. And cut out the junk food.

After I make it past day 4 or 5 I'll get in a groove. One tip for me is I just bought a new water bottle.... I hate drinking water but if I get craving I just sip on it. At night I brush my teeth if I get a late craving.

Now early 50s it doesn't just fall off....and I don't work out like a 30 year old. I really let myself go exercisely lol...

I know how to work out I'm just a lazy sob

After the first week or so I'm shooting for 2 lbs a week

GL

TBH for me the first 20ish pounds should be "easy", yes I'm older now but I'll flat out say I'm addicted to sugar. The weird part I don't drink a ton of soda and put no sugar in my coffee. What I do is snack at night or work boredom on a variety of cakes/cookies/donuts/chocolate....and I eat late at night. My actual meals aren't actually horrible. I don't eat fast food, I don't eat heavy meals.

We're kind of the same with our sugar addictions. I rarely have soda or fast food and eat a healthy diet most of the time but love candy, cookies, cake etc. Protein bars really helped me satisfy that craving. There's a brand called Barebells at GNC that will change your life. Some of the best tasting bars I've ever had with great macros (200 cal/20g protein/5g sugar). I'll have one and not have the urge to indulge in anymore unlike most sugar laden treats where I can't seem to stop once I get started.

I plan to build muscle and put on a little weight back after I meet my goals, but first stop for 2024 is a 1 in the first slot on the scale.

For those keeping track at home, my 2023 weight loss was -160 lb, -145 lb from surgery date in April.
That is amazing! Total body transformation!

It's honestly a bit hard for me to believe. I am not a very disciplined individual, but I just made myself care about my health more than most anything else last year and forced myself to do what I thought I ought to.

It's honestly a bit hard for me to believe. I am not a very disciplined individual, but I just made myself care about my health more than most anything else last year and forced myself to do what I thought I ought to.
For people considering bariatric surgery, in your opinion, what, if anything, are the downside(s)?

Did you ever try the newer weight loss drugs (Wegovy, etc.)?

Saw a picture of myself from NYE and I'm getting back on the horse today. 248 lbs. on the scale today. Would love to say my goal is to get down below the Mendoza line by 2025 as that's probably an actually healthy weight for me but my current plan is to steadily get to 220 and re-evaluate.

In the past years, I'll usually start out strong and extreme then crash and burn (last time I came out too strong I developed planter fasciitis by overdoing it) and just deviate back to old habits. This time, my plan is to just to ensure I do something active each day (be that cardio by stationary bike at home, weights at the gym, etc.) and just cut out all unnecessary sugars and reduce carbs. I'm also staying away from alcohol but for when I golf and maybe a glass of wine when out with my wife. Going to ween off of edibles too because that just leads to the munchies.

Let's see if slow and steady wins the race this time.

We're kind of the same with our sugar addictions. I rarely have soda or fast food and eat a healthy diet most of the time but love candy, cookies, cake etc. Protein bars really helped me satisfy that craving. There's a brand called Barebells at GNC that will change your life. Some of the best tasting bars I've ever had with great macros (200 cal/20g protein/5g sugar). I'll have one and not have the urge to indulge in anymore unlike most sugar laden treats where I can't seem to stop once I get started.
Picked up a box of the crisp

(y)

Hits the spot

For people considering bariatric surgery, in your opinion, what, if anything, are the downside(s)?

Did you ever try the newer weight loss drugs (Wegovy, etc.)?
I will not recommend WLS to anyone. That's a very personal decision between an individual [, their loved ones] and their doctor. All I can say is that it was the final piece of the puzzle for me, unblocking whatever hurdles were in my way to health success. And I am by no means out of the woods, even with the past year of results. I established a lot of healthy habits, but the biggest downside to surgery is that it doesn't erase the unhealthy habits. I would imagine it is very easy to slip back into bad patterns if you don't have the right mindset. Yes, I can't eat a lot of calories right now by sheer lack of space. But I can eat more than I did as recently as, say, August even.

I did not try any of the medications. I know myself and I believed at the time (still do) that I had to commit to a drastic, dramatic, permanent change. I had to basically force myself to implement a new lifestyle; so far I feel it's working. I am a conscious eater, I feel full and STOP when I have that feeling, and have established a reliable exercise regimen that I stick with. I don't think I would have been able to do that just with the drugs; the human brain is a strange thing.

Am not weighing myself until Monday... whatever weight I gained over the weekend and whatever I "lose" this week I'll just call it a wash.

I know I got up to 237 ish in 2023 so have some ideas.

So far so good. Some coffee with a splash of chocolate creamer and a protein bar. Added a 3.2 mile run walk

Lfg

Alright, 5'11" and 220 to start the year. I'm fairly active but just eat too much (gym 3 days a week and either ski, golf, or 7ish mile hike a few times a month). Looking to get way down from 220 this year. It's a bit harder to do because Mrs. Kanil has a history of eating disorders and me actively dieting tends to be a trigger for her. Going to try to cut portion sizes and see how we do.

Saw a picture of myself from NYE and I'm getting back on the horse today. 248 lbs. on the scale today. Would love to say my goal is to get down below the Mendoza line by 2025 as that's probably an actually healthy weight for me but my current plan is to steadily get to 220 and re-evaluate.

In the past years, I'll usually start out strong and extreme then crash and burn (last time I came out too strong I developed planter fasciitis by overdoing it) and just deviate back to old habits. This time, my plan is to just to ensure I do something active each day (be that cardio by stationary bike at home, weights at the gym, etc.) and just cut out all unnecessary sugars and reduce carbs. I'm also staying away from alcohol but for when I golf and maybe a glass of wine when out with my wife. Going to ween off of edibles too because that just leads to the munchies.

Good idea on slow and steady. I think a lot of middle aged folks think they can just get back on the horse and work out like they're 25 again. Not gonna happen and when it does, it often leads to injury or burnout. Think of your body as a classic car. Gotta give it some time to warm up before you start reviving the engine and gunning it down the street. You can still get in great shape and regain that old man strength, just gotta be patient. And on the days you can't make it to the gym or get bored with the bike, don't underestimate the power of long walks - relatively easy, great for your body and mentally therapeutic. You can do them just about anywhere even at work after lunch or when you get a break.

For wine, just opt for the dry red varieties. Far less sugar and pretty good for you in moderation. Tread carefully with those edibles as they pack on the calories as well (if you have a tolerance like me at least ;)

Looks like I'm back in one of the fatty threads again. I mean that in the most endearing way possible.

I am going to weigh myself tomorrow morning. The last few years have been a yo-yo with my weight. I've been racing mountain bikes, which is a tremendous motivator to get into shape and lose weight, but I tend to let it all go once I've gotten past race day. Last year I ended up pulling my hamstring pre-riding the course and being as stubborn as I am I decided to race anyways and really injured myself, setting my fitness goals back. Add in some beers and managing all of my kids' sports I lost a lot of motivation to stay on the horse.

I've been riding the past month and am wildly out of shape compared to where I was, but I can tell my cardio has gotten dramatically better from just a month ago. I still have a bunch of nice craft beer in my fridge that was accumulated during the holiday season that I will drink through, but after that I am completely cutting out alcohol until the end of April after I race. It's actually pretty amazing how great it feels to wake up every morning and how much extra energy/motivation there is to work out when alcohol isn't in the equation.... I just wish I didn't like the taste of craft beer so much.

Good work to those of you who have been putting in the effort, and positive vibes to those of you who are just starting during the New Year.

Good luck to all! Accountability is one of the largest success factors I've found. Commit to weighing yourself regularly and reporting back here (even when it is bad news). Let people encourage you and give tips to what has helped them in the past. Accountability is key.

Good idea on slow and steady. I think a lot of middle aged folks think they can just get back on the horse and work out like they're 25 again. Not gonna happen and when it does, it often leads to injury or burnout. Think of your body as a classic car. Gotta give it some time to warm up before you start reviving the engine and gunning it down the street. You can still get in great shape and regain that old man strength, just gotta be patient. And on the days you can't make it to the gym or get bored with the bike, don't underestimate the power of long walks - relatively easy, great for your body and mentally therapeutic. You can do them just about anywhere even at work after lunch or when you get a break.

For wine, just opt for the dry red varieties. Far less sugar and pretty good for you in moderation. Tread carefully with those edibles as they pack on the calories as well (if you have a tolerance like me at least ;)
Appreciate it but dammit I’m not middle aged! 🤣

Big fan of Chef Robert Irvine’s CRUNCH protein bars.

That’s when the real change happens. When you realize and accept that it’s a choice.

Sorry my chubby young lad, I thought everyone on this board was at least 35+

Well yeah I'm 40... I've just only this year started hearing that I'm middle aged. Sounds old!

Commit to weighing yourself regularly and reporting back here
I’d advocate again for a body measurement scale if you can get access to one. There’s a huge difference between losing 5 lbs in a month when it’s mostly fat vs losing muscle. Losing muscle in our middle age isn’t recommended for most of us.
Losing muscle probably isn’t a good idea for anyone, though it’s always been interesting to me that all the really old people I’ve met are quite thin, and always were. I don’t expect 100 year old powerlifters, but it doesn’t seem like extra muscle is associated with longevity.

Part of it may be related to intake of our current “halo” macronutrient: protein. While we certainly need enough to maintain muscle mass, there’s data suggesting high animal protein intake (over 20% daily calories) in middle age leads to excess mortality.

Conversely, low protein intake in people over age 65 increases the risk of death. Then again, none of the longevity hotspots (aka Blue Zones) consume more than 10-15% calories as protein; their diets are carbohydrate rich, without exception.

Well yeah I'm 40... I've just only this year started hearing that I'm middle aged. Sounds old!
Sorry cherub

Commit to weighing yourself regularly and reporting back here
I’d advocate again for a body measurement scale if you can get access to one. There’s a huge difference between losing 5 lbs in a month when it’s mostly fat vs losing muscle. Losing muscle in our middle age isn’t recommended for most of us.
Losing muscle probably isn’t a good idea for anyone, though it’s always been interesting to me that all the really old people I’ve met are quite thin, and always were. I don’t expect 100 year old powerlifters, but it doesn’t seem like extra muscle is associated with longevity.

Part of it may be related to intake of our current “halo” macronutrient: protein. While we certainly need enough to maintain muscle mass, there’s data suggesting high animal protein intake (over 20% daily calories) in middle age leads to excess mortality.

Conversely, low protein intake in people over age 65 increases the risk of death. Then again, none of the longevity hotspots (aka Blue Zones) consume more than 10-15% calories as protein; their diets are carbohydrate rich, without exception.
I’m not talking about beefy power lifters, but if that’s the average FBG, ok. Somehow i don’t think we’re surrounded by Mr or Mrs Olympia clones.
There are plenty of studies showing how strength training and muscular strength enhances health span. Anecdotally, seeing my parents age prematurely because they didn’t work to maintain strength is enough for me to keep working to maintain.

Alrighty. I aim to lose a pound a week between now and my 54th birthday in mid-March. If I can manage that, I'll make the next goal.

I walk every morning between 45-70 minutes and get to ~12k steps per day on average. My vice is sugar from cookies/cakes/chocolate.

Despite the daily walks, I am only maintaining at around 235 lb. If I can cut out the sugar and extra portions, I'm hoping to get that 1 lb/week that I am looking for.

I officially have a head cold or sinus infection. The good news is really pushes the sugar cravings away lol. When you feel like crap thats what happens

Im ready to get healthy again. I have seriously let myself go in the last 4 years as I stopped going to the gym (due to covid shutting down my office in 2020) although I do walk about 3 miles a day, stopped counting calories, and started eating late night snacks (due to the munchies). I refuse to get on scale but last year I was 260 and Im probably closer to 270 now (6'1"). I carry it well but I look fat in pictures and clothes that used to fit dont fit anymore. Its also embarrassing how out of shape I am.

The biggest reason I want to do this though is I am 46 and if I keep going down this path I will get Diabetes and/or have heart problems. Last year I had a physical and all my #s were good except cholesterol was a little high (doc just said lose some weight). Id like to have another physical sometime in the spring. Id like to lose 40 lbs by July (going on a cruise and would like to take my shirt off without being embarrassed).

I have successfully lost weight in the past doing calorie counting but I am not doing that now. My plan right now isnt really a diet but lifestyle changes as follows:

• Join gym (I have already joined the office gym but I am only in the office twice a week so I may also join a gym at home and start going with my teenaged son).
  • Eat healthy (duh). What does this mean?
    • Limit breakfast to high protein, low sugar option such as eggs, protein shakes, etc. Only have my favorite bagel once a week. Coffee back to black.
    • Lunch will be high protein, low fat (chickens, salads, etc). No more taco Tuesdays at work lol,
    • Dinner will be my normal dinners but will limit to one serving (no seconds).
    • My biggest weakness is my sweet tooth so I am going to go cold turkey on cookies, cakes, desserts, etc. I dont drink soda so this isnt an issue.
    • No late night snacking (this will be hard if I continue to smoke weed so I will cut back on this dramatically). Might try and limit to weekends only and only right before bed so I am not tempted to snack. My stop completely. Not sure yet.
    • I dont really drink alcohol that often but I will limit this to special occasions.
    • No cheat days but will treat myself to a cheat day once a month.
Is the above plan a good one or am I fooling myself and need to do more?

Users who are viewing this thread