What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerick McKinnon, KC (1 Viewer)

Anyone see this dude as a decent FLEX this season?

Depends who you ask. I'd say no. I'd say even if CEH goes down or gets knocked down in the pecking order, McKinnon isn't bound to last as the Chiefs' RB1. I just don't see him being able to shoulder the workload necessary to give you more than a game or two of useful fantasy starts. He's probably not the goal-line back over Pacheco and Jones. Maybe PPR, if you're really lucky.

Jerick McKinnon rushed eight times for 53 yards in the Chiefs' Week 5 win over the Raiders.​

The Chiefs fell in a quick 17-0 hole in this one and were chasing points for a large portion of the evening, which likely led to the closer split for carries between McKinnon and Clyde Edwards-Helaire. CEH out-carried McKinnon 9-8, but McKinnon out-gained him 53-15. McKinnon added two catches for 19 yards. He should be rostered in deeper 12-team leagues but doesn't yet look like a reliable fantasy starter ahead of Week 6 against the Bills.
Oct 11, 2022, 12:21 AM ET

Jerick McKinnon had two rushes for one yard in the Chiefs' Week 6 loss to the Bills, adding three receptions for 29 yards.

McKinnon's biggest play of the day came on a 19-yard catch and run near the end of the first half that put the Chiefs in field goal position. He saw three targets on the day while Isiah Pacheco had two and Clyde Edwards-Helaire was no targeted. McKinnon's usage has been all over the place through six weeks, making him a tough bet in even the deepest formats. He would likely split KC's backfield workload with Pacheco if CEH were to miss time this season.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Jerick McKinnon had two rushes for 12 yards in the Chiefs' Week 7 win against the 49ers, adding two catches on three targets for 36 yards.

McKinnon led all KC backs with 16 pass routes on Patrick Mahomes' 37 drop backs against San Francisco. He caught a critical screen pass on third and 20 in the first half and converted on a 34-yard catch and run. It doesn't matter that McKinnon appears to be the Chiefs' best running back; Isiah Pacheco and Clyde Edwards-Helaire will continue to split early-down work, as they did once again against the Niners. McKinnon should only be stashed in deeper PPR leagues.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Chiefs RB Jerick McKinnon (hamstring, shoulder) was removed from the Week 11 injury report and will play against the Chargers.​

McKinnon played through the same injury in Week 10, catching six passes for 56 yards on eight targets. He was limited for all three of Kansas City's practices this week but never seemed in danger of sitting out. With JuJu Smith-Schuster (concussion) sidelined, McKinnon could see a few more targets this week.
Nov 18, 2022, 7:11 PM ET

Jerick McKinnon had 10 rushes for 52 yards and a touchdown in Kansas City's Week 15 win against the Texans, adding eight catches for 70 yards and an additional touchdown on eight targets.​

Involved more than expected as the Chiefs struggled with penalties and turnovers in their attempt to put the Texans away, McKinnon walked off the Chiefs in overtime with a 26-yard catch-and-run. He finished third on the team with eight targets. Kansas City's Week 16 game against Seattle again figures to be a game script that doesn't favor McKinnon, but he's now got five touchdowns in his last three games. He'll be hard to bench and likely on the RB2/FLEX borderline.
Dec 18, 2022, 4:20 PM ET

Jerick McKinnon rushed two times for four yards in the Chiefs' Week 17 win over the Broncos, adding five receptions for 52 yards and two touchdowns.

McKinnon made history with a receiving touchdown in five consecutive games, becoming the only running back in NFL history to accomplish that feat. The two receiving scores in Week 17 push his total to seven over the previous five games as the primary red zone option with Mecole Hardman out of the lineup. To say McKinnon rewarded fantasy managers when it mattered most is a stark understatement.
Jan 1, 2023, 4:59 PM ET

Jerick McKinnon rushed four times for 34 yards in the Chiefs' Super Bowl LVII victory over the Eagles, adding three receptions for 15 additional yards.​

In position for the go-ahead touchdown 1:54 remaining, McKinnon instead intentionally went down short of the goal line to set up the game-winning field goal. On what felt like his 15th career revival, 30-year-old McKinnon spent a non-trivial amount of time as the Chiefs’ de facto lead back, snagging a career-best 56 receptions in the process. He did take a backseat to rookie Isiah Pacheco on the ground, while Pacheco put a move on McKinnon in the receiving game down the stretch. Pint-sized McKinnon did not hold up as a pass blocker. McKinnon’s receiving prowess will keep him in the league in 2023, but now on the wrong side of 30, it’s not a guarantee the Chiefs re-sign despite his heroic role playing the past two seasons. His PPR value will be entirely contingent on where he ends up in free agency.
Feb 12, 2023, 10:39 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chiefs are expected to re-sign RB Jerick McKinnon.​

This report comes minutes after a press conference with GM Brett Veach in which he "alluded to this possibility" according to Rapoport. McKinnon stepped up in a big way for the Chiefs en route to a Super Bowl run last season, totaling 72-291-1 on the ground while adding 56 receptions for 512 yards and another nine touchdowns through the air. McKinnon has proven more than serviceable as a third-down back both as a receiver and in pass protection, becoming one of Patrick Mahomes' most valuable assets as the season progressed. McKinnon's return likely spells disaster for running back Clyde Edward-Helaire, who was a healthy scratch in Super Bowl LVII. Meanwhile, second-year running back Isiah Pacheco should be slated to receive early down rushing work.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
May 1, 2023, 2:15 PM ET

Chiefs re-signed RB Jerick McKinnon.

Terms have not yet officially been disclosed. This had been rumored for some time and it was obvious McKinnon would re-sign if the draft came and went without a new addition at the position. McKinnon will likely function as the passing downs back again behind Isiah Pacheco. He rode heavy touchdown production at that position to a RB2 finish in PPR leagues last year, and while it would be a mistake to expect 10 touchdowns again in 2023, he will be a worthy mid-round selection in drafts again this year.
SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter
May 2, 2023 at 2:23 PM ET

Bump. He will benefit a lot if Mahomes needs a security blanket. He did so well last year and I think he carries it forward this year.

Jerick McKinnon caught a 10-yard pass in the Chiefs’ Week 1 loss to the Lions.

McKinnon’s 10-yard catch in the first quarter was not only his lone touch, it was also just 1-of-2 targets. Although McKinnon out-snapped Clyde Edwards-Helaire 20-14 (via PFF), CEH out-touched his veteran backfield mate 7-1. Bizarre. Isiah Pacheco notched 12 handles. McKinnon was still playing plenty of third downs, and was spotted on the field in the red zone. We would not write him off in PPR leagues just yet. The Jags await for Week 2.

Holding this guy going to be tough with the likes of CEL getting touches. Ouch.

He's going to get his 2 TD games but could be like whack a mole.

he's the perfect best ball RB (and awful for lineup leagues). You never want to have to start him, you never know when he's going to explode. But he will have a bunch of big explosive plays this year.

They should be featuring him more than IP or CEH. He's better than both, regardless of age.
I agree. Hard to agree with the usage other then they just love Pacheco. Just seems they should have 3-4 plays a game where they focus on getting this guy open down the field..

McKinnon is 5' 9" / 209

For whatever reason, there's a misconception about what McKinnon is. Mostly from folks who haven't seen him up close and pesrsonal. He may be short, but he ain't spindly.

He's built like a brick ****house, and his skills are not confined to receiving...

...and he's fast as ****.

In an offense with a coordinator that knows a thing or two about spacing (very underrated but critical concept in today's NFL where 1st string caliber defenders have an unreal size/speed ratio)...which I'm not sure Nagy is, but I know Reid/Bienemy are, so there's hope if Reid has his fingers in the offensive sauce...

jet is more than capable of carrying 60+% of a load.

McKinnon is 5' 9" / 209

For whatever reason, there's a misconception about what McKinnon is. Mostly from folks who haven't seen him up close and pesrsonal. He may be short, but he ain't spindly.

He's built like a brick ****house, and his skills are not confined to receiving...

...and he's fast as ****.

In an offense with a coordinator that knows a thing or two about spacing (very underrated but critical concept in today's NFL where 1st string caliber defenders have an unreal size/speed ratio)...which I'm not sure Nagy is, but I know Reid/Bienemy are, so there's hope if Reid has his fingers in the offensive sauce...

jet is more than capable of carrying 60+% of a load.

He has never been able to stay healthy and I don't think that has to do with his size. Rashad Penny isn't small and he can't stay healthy.

The Chiefs know he is a good weapon, but if they want to have him available for playoffs runs they can't give him that can of work and expect him to be there at the end.

Anyone hanging on to McKinnon?

12 team PPR league. Like stashing guys and also have needs - D. Montgomery (i.e. C. Reynolds), M. Breida could come in handy, etc.

Hate dropping a guy from an explosive offense, but he's not getting much run. Pacheco seems to be the guy, CEL getting touches, and even with a lousy WR corp when you'd think he could fill gaps he doesn't. Keep hearing they are "saving" him for later this season. Does no good for me now.

Potential is there, but not sure it's worth hanging on to with other pressing needs at hand.

12 team PPR league. Like stashing guys and also have needs - D. Montgomery (i.e. C. Reynolds), M. Breida could come in handy, etc.

Hate dropping a guy from an explosive offense, but he's not getting much run. Pacheco seems to be the guy, CEL getting touches, and even with a lousy WR corp when you'd think he could fill gaps he doesn't. Keep hearing they are "saving" him for later this season. Does no good for me now.

Potential is there, but not sure it's worth hanging on to with other pressing needs at hand.
Got 'em and hanging on.
It's a marathon.
Jerrick is a mailman,he always delivers.

Got 'em and hanging on.
It's a marathon.
Jerrick is a mailman,he always delivers.
Yeah he's hard to let go.

He's one injury from being super valuable.

Big lotto ticket.

And all of the usual lotto tickets are grabbed in this particular league.

any thoughts on Mckinnon in here? i liked what i saw yesterday after people were recommending dropping him last week smhhhh.

it feels like he will be more involved as season goes on and the team is in more competitive games.

any thoughts on Mckinnon in here? i liked what i saw yesterday after people were recommending dropping him last week smhhhh.

it feels like he will be more involved as season goes on and the team is in more competitive games.
I had him on one of my rosters and swapped him out of my lineup at the last minute for Gainwell (we'll see how that works out). With CEH and Pacheco getting 15 carries each to McKinnon's 2 and then getting 3 catches on 3 targets....that's just not enough consistent usage. Sure, he scored twice but you can't count on that. They just spread the ball too much and don't see how you can rely on him...it's 16 pts or 3. I'll likely drop him this week

I'm kinda "forced" to play him right now in my big 16-team redraft. Akers absolutely screwed things for me (although it remains to be seen what he does with MIN). That said, McKinnon was a TD machine at the end of last year and helped me get to the finals in this same league then. So for now I'll plug him in as my RB2 and hope the TDs keep coming. He's not going to be a high-volume runner with Pacheco and CEH there.

Lol. Dropped him myself for T. Spears.

No regrets. Good luck guessing outside of Kelce who is getting consistent touches and goaline opportunities.

Hell, R. Rice was brought down at the 1 twice.

Floor of 0, ceiling of 15-20 ppr points. Basically a what the **** type of flex. Don't really care about him anymore but I dropped him so yeah. Bitter.

CEH ruled out so Pacheco and McKinnon set to split workload. Also seeing this game as favoring a shootout not hard to see if KC needs to throw the ball to McKinnon. Could be a breakout.

CEH ruled out so Pacheco and McKinnon set to split workload. Also seeing this game as favoring a shootout not hard to see if KC needs to throw the ball to McKinnon. Could be a breakout.

Ah now I see.

Thing is though, CEL only had 2 snaps last week and McKinnon had like 2 touches. Feels like it's Pacheco or bust here. Would love to start him, but need more.

Any word on how McKinnon's groin is doing?

I'm trying to hold him, but with the Week 13 Byepocalypse, it's challenging. If he's not going to play, it'll be easier to pick him back up in Week 14.

I’m actually very surprised at his lack of usage this season. Guy did some serious damage last season down the stretch and they’ve struggled in the pass game a bit. Maybe they are saving his legs for end of season/playoffs

I’m hanging on. There are enough guys in my league who have a decent memory. If one of them scoops him because I thought D’Ernest Johnson was looking more attractive for a week, I feel like I’ll regret it. But that’s all I got. A memory and a feeling.

Jerick McKinnon (groin) returned to practice on Thursday and was limited.

McKinnon was sidelined last week with his groin injury, but a return in the middle of this week suggests it’s nothing too severe. The Chiefs’ RB2 hasn’t enjoyed the same role he did last season when he unexpectedly emerged as a fantasy league-winner while totaling 56 receptions for 512 yards and nine touchdowns. Instead, McKinnon has watched Isiah Pacheco seize control of the Chiefs’ backfield while limiting McKinnon to 32 touches and 185 yards over 10 games. McKinnon would carry some value if Pacheco were to miss time, but can be kept off the fantasy radar for now.

Jerick McKinnon Wks 14-17 LAST SZN:
25.5 points per game
RB1 on ppg avg
Three games of 22+ pts
Two games of 32+ pts

Full practice today.

Chiefs OC Matt Nagy on RB Jerick McKinnon in 2023: "If anything it's load management. He's been in the league for quite a while now. . . He had a very productive year last year. That combined with what he's been through injury-wise, we just want to be smart with him."

Wonder if there is anything to see here. hmmmm

25.5 points per game
RB1 on ppg avg
Three games of 22+ pts
Two games of 32+ pts

Full practice today.

Chiefs OC Matt Nagy on RB Jerick McKinnon in 2023: "If anything it's load management. He's been in the league for quite a while now. . . He had a very productive year last year. That combined with what he's been through injury-wise, we just want to be smart with him."

Tempted to drop Z. Charbonnet for him.

Not just for a stash but the #1 team has Pacheco.

Maybe this offense needs some McKinnon right now. Could be perfect timing.

Wish there was a bit more insight on Pacheco's injury.

25.5 points per game
RB1 on ppg avg
Three games of 22+ pts
Two games of 32+ pts

Full practice today.

Someone just dropped him in my league. Prolly gonna use the last of faab on him. This late in the season worth a shot. Charbs is hurt. Walker is hurt. Schedule is brutal. I'd consider dropping Charbs in redraft for him

25.5 points per game
RB1 on ppg avg
Three games of 22+ pts
Two games of 32+ pts

Full practice today.

Someone just dropped him in my league. Prolly gonna use the last of faab on him. This late in the season worth a shot. Charbs is hurt. Walker is hurt. Schedule is brutal. I'd consider dropping Charbs in redraft for him
He’s been on our wire for weeks, how many FAAB you think it takes right now? Pacheco probably practices tomorrow don’t you think?

25.5 points per game
RB1 on ppg avg
Three games of 22+ pts
Two games of 32+ pts

Full practice today.

Agree. I could do worse for a #7 RB and a shot at a homerun.

Users who are viewing this thread