What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 waiver targets (3 Viewers)

Chasing any Raven back right now is brave. We've seen this movie before.
Agreed, but it might make sense to let your leaguemates fawn over Hill/Edwards and then grab Gordon for nothing. They haven't shied away in the past from using guys that are long in the tooth but still turn out to be productive for them.
Knowing the Ravens, you will see a 3-headed RBBC

Surprised Puca Nacua isn’t the talk of the thread. 10 catches on 15 targets for 119 and nearly 22 pts. Looks like he’s playing the Kupp role while Kupp is out…had a great camp. What’s not to like?

Surprised Puca Nacua isn’t the talk of the thread. 10 catches on 15 targets for 119 and nearly 22 pts. Looks like he’s playing the Kupp role while Kupp is out…had a great camp. What’s not to like?
For sure. I'm in one league. Already owned due to super deep rosters. If he is available I think he is a must add until Kupp comes back. Stafford looked sharp

For sure. I'm in one league. Already owned due to super deep rosters. If he is available I think he is a must add until Kupp comes back. Stafford looked sharp
Agreed. Even after Kupp is back and healthy (whenever that is), it’s not like they can’t have 2 good wrs to feed. He’s my number 1 waiver target by a mile. Give me target hogs all day long.

Agreed. Even after Kupp is back and healthy (whenever that is), it’s not like they can’t have 2 good wrs to feed. He’s my number 1 waiver target by a mile. Give me target hogs all day long.
Off the top of the my head and don't have the actual numbers but I'm gonna guess the Rams #2 wr when Kupp plays isn't the best fantasy option. Someone smarter then me can correct me if I'm way off here also.

Off the top of the my head and don't have the actual numbers but I'm gonna guess the Rams #2 wr when Kupp plays isn't the best fantasy option. Someone smarter than me can correct me if I'm way off here also.
Agreed but they haven’t really had many solid options. People were thinking Alan Robinson would be a good guy but he was done, Beckham I think did pretty well but he was coming off injury I believe. For the cost (free) I won’t overthink the situation. If a guy can get open and be a solid reliable target for their QB they tend to get the ball.

I don’t know this kids ceiling but the training camp buzz was good. I grabbed Amon Ra his rookie year when he started getting a couple big target games. Many people didn’t believe him even after he performed extremely well at the end of his rookie year….now he’s a top 5 wr.

I am NOT saying that will be Nacua but for the cost, free waiver pickup and dropping the last guy on my bench, it’s a no brainer.

Subtopic - points I don't want to chase
  • Tutu Atwell - YMMV but I don't think he'll ever be a thing bc of his size
  • Kendrick Bourne - we've seen this movie before, correct?
  • Allen Robinson (8 targets) and Robert Woods (10 targets)
  • Hunter Henry and Hayden Hurst (I wouldn't judge anyone who did bc TE landscape sux but not the TE profile I want)
anyone else?
Who is Pit going to throw the ball to if not Robinson?

People should not be sleeping on Bourne. He ended up as WR32 in 2021 on only 70 targets. He has a good connection with Mac Jones, JJSS has lost a step (and his knee is iffy), Parker is very match up dependent (and also struggles to stay in the lineup). Bourne could easily be a fantasy WR2 this year. 80-1000-8 is not out of the question.

Purdy (55%) and Stafford (29%) s/b rostered
In my opinion there wasn't a single player who played better in week 1 than Stafford. He looked like last year never happened, and it was without his top guy, on the road against a playoff team.

Hell, Stafford's performance makes me more confident in Kupp when he comes back.

Puka looked very solid, but let's not sleep on Atwell who finished with just as many yards and doesn't have an overlap in skill set with Kupp. He'll never be a #1 due to his size, but he could be the deep threat.

People should not be sleeping on Bourne. He ended up as WR32 in 2021 on only 70 targets. He has a good connection with Mac Jones, JJSS has lost a step (and his knee is iffy), Parker is very match up dependent (and also struggles to stay in the lineup). Bourne could easily be a fantasy WR2 this year. 80-1000-8 is not out of the question.
Can't believe I am asking this, but what about Mac Jones? He's currently QB2 in my league for week 1, and did it against the Eagles stout defense.

Can't believe I am asking this, but what about Mac Jones? He's currently QB2 in my league for week 1, and did it against the Eagles stout defense.
Obviously needs to be owned in SF/2QB leagues, if not already. Backup for 1QB leagues I would think.

worth a pickup for sure but my hesistancy would be not to overbid as assume Kupp is back week 5 then his value will take a significant hit, yeah he's still a good player but won't be getting same volume

I responded to something similar in the Jones thread. He's not going to throw 54 times very often and for NE's sake they shouldn't be abandoning the run as early as they did yesterday. They fell behind early AND couldn't run, which led to a lot more pasing attempts.

I have been saying all off season that with a real OC, the NE offense should be about league average. They should be a lot more competent than they were last year. I felt Jones could have a 4000/25-30 year (with very little rushing production) if he stayed healthy and things clicked better. With 3800/22 Jones ranked as QB19 as a rookie.

IMO, Jones is an ok fantasy QB2 (in 12 team leagues) and might be able to sneak into QB 10-12 territory (with the projected season I just mentioned). I'm not convinced the NE O-line is as good as they played yesterday. The Eagles were playing a bunch of different defenders than they rolled out last year. The Eagles defense should improve as the season goes on.

Spears…if he wasn’t drafted by the Henry owner.
Yea Spears is good. He should get a little more involved as the season progresses (6-8 touches). He was on the field a decent amount for the first game (He actually outsnapped Henry 34 to 30, and was in for every 3rd down snap which is very suprising). one of the better handcuffs in the league for sure

Last edited:

I’m just not buying into an 8th year breakout personally. 80-1000-8 would knock the socks off any of his years and be a career year in a big way.

Spears…if he wasn’t drafted by the Henry owner.
Yea Spears is good. He should get a little more involved as the season progresses (6-8 touches). He was on the field a decent amount for the first game (He actually outsnapped Henry 34 to 30, and was in for every 3rd down snap which is very suprising). one of the better handcuffs in the league for sure
That outsnapping stat is very interesting considering how close the game was throughout. I wouldn't jump to too many conclusions off one week, but it may be a sign that they just don't want to overwork Henry at this stage.

Definitely joshua kelley
Definitely targeting him. It took awhile but I think Kellen Moore wants the same two back system he had in Dallas. I also think that the Chargers want to keep Eckler as fresh as possible given his age. Lastly, sometimes it make take a few years but I think Kelly is talented enough and has gotten better. He is also going to get involved in the passing game and there is no threat of competition for his role.

worth a pickup for sure but my hesistancy would be not to overbid as assume Kupp is back week 5 then his value will take a significant hit, yeah he's still a good player but won't be getting same volume
I feel like Kupp being back Week 5 is far from certain.

NYG D @AZ - I expect a bounce back. AZ had 210 yards of offense.
CLE D @ PIT -- This D could be legit.
INDY D @ HOU - Hou offense looking shaky.

I feel like Kupp being back Week 5 is far from certain.
yeah true, i'm not getting the sense he'll be out for too much longer but obviously all conjecture at this point

NYG D @AZ - I expect a bounce back. AZ had 210 yards of offense.
CLE D @ PIT -- This D could be legit.
INDY D @ HOU - Hou offense looking shaky.
I think I'd disagree with Indy. A lot of offenses will look shaky against Baltimore.

Agree with the other two completely, especially NYG.

I’m just not buying into an 8th year breakout personally. 80-1000-8 would knock the socks off any of his years and be a career year in a big way.
It's his 7th year. He had his mini-breakout in 2021 (his 5th year) when he moved on from SF to NE (and ranked WR32). He didn't produce much early in his career due to his lack of targets (a high of 74). The first year in NE, he ranked tied for second in receiving yards per target with Ja'Maar Chase behind only Deebo Samuel.

NE doesn't have much at WR. Bourne saw 11 targets yesterday (most in his career). He's only had 6 games in his career where he was targeted 8 times or more. In those games, he averaged 6.2 receptions, 80.5 YFS, and 0.8 TD. Bourne is the most productive WR on the NE roster. Bill O'Brien is not going to put him in mothballs like Matt Patricia did. The Pats just need to target him more and he will be productive.

Let's extrapolate some numbers. Every year is different, but in 2021, Bourne scored 182.5 fantasy points in 1 PPR leagues with 70 targets. Things will never work out exactly the same, but scoring at the same rate, with 105 targets he would have been in line for 273.8 fantasy points (which would have ranked as WR8 that year). Last year, there were 36 WR that had 105 targets for the season. 105 targets represents an increase of only 2 targets per game over a full season compared to 2021.

Will he be as productive as he was in 2021? Probably not. Will he get 100+ targets? Maybe, maybe not. But he's available for free. Who else on the waiver wire is the favorite to be the WR1 on his team?

Last edited:
Meyers should have been rostered already. He won't score two tds every week and will probably be out with a concussion week two, but with Adams drawing bracket coverage and Jimmy G liking short routes he's got a shot at a 100 catch season.
For those that didn't see the game, Meyers was so effective yesterday because he had "Toast" Mathis guarding him. I mean that guy can't defend anyone, so I think this game represents the exception and not the rule. Plus with the concussion concern-I would stay away this week.

Gus Edwards or Justice Hill?
Has to be Hill IMO. FAAB bids are probably going to be off the charts for him.
If Kareem Hunt is available might think about him. Fournette?

Edwards has little passing game value. Fournette has little running game value.

Hunt may be best overall.

I would think Baltimore is going to be looking for outside help

Considering dropping Damien Harris right now and picking up Hunt while I can still drop Harris.

Considering dropping Damien Harris right now and picking up Hunt while I can still drop Harris.

Shark move assuming your site allows it. Unfortunately, Yahoo still has Hunt as part of the Browns & since they already played, he's locked. :rant:

Shark move assuming your site allows it. Unfortunately, Yahoo still has Hunt as part of the Browns & since they already played, he's locked. :rant:
Just made the move in MFL

It's his 7th year. He had his mini-breakout in 2021 (his 5th year) when he moved on from SF to NE (and ranked WR32). He didn't produce much early in his career due to his lack of targets (a high of 74). That year, he ranked tied for second in receiving yards per target with Ja'Maar Chase behind only Deebo Samuel.

NE doesn't have much at WR. Bourne saw 11 targets yesterday (most in his career). He's only had 6 games in his career where he was targeted 8 times or more. In those games, he averaged 6.2 receptions, 80.5 YFS, and 0.8 TD. Bourne is the most productive WR on the NE roster. Bill O'Brien is not going to put him in mothballs like Matt Patricia did. The Pats just need to target him more and he will be productive.

Let's extrapolate some numbers. Every year is different, but in 2021, Bourne scored 182.5 fantasy points in 1 PPR leagues with 70 targets. Things will never work out exactly the same, but scoring at the same rate, with 105 targets he would have been in line for 273.8 fantasy points (which would have ranked as WR8 that year). Last year, there were 36 WR that had 105 targets for the season. 105 targets represents an increase of only 2 targets per game over a full season compared to 2021.

Will he be as productive as he was in 2021? Probably not. Will he get 100+ targets? Maybe, maybe not. But he's available for free. Who else on the waiver wire is the favorite to be the WR1 on his team?

What happens when Parker comes back? Bourne just seems to have 1-2 big games then just kinda disappears for a bit. Not saying he isn’t worth an add but I’m just not as optimistic as you I suppose. I can see him being a flex here and there(good luck guessing when) but he’s never been that dude and I don’t see him becoming him suddenly.

The number 1 pick up if available is Roschon Johnson.

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

% of Week 1 touches in garbage time:

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)
The biggest takeaway from Johnson's performance was that he gave the Bears a spark on offense when they were not able to get anything going. He ran tough, and broke tackles, and did great as a receiver too. I watched the whole game, and he looked like their best back. I see his touches increasing for sure

Off the top of the my head and don't have the actual numbers but I'm gonna guess the Rams #2 wr when Kupp plays isn't the best fantasy option. Someone smarter than me can correct me if I'm way off here also.
Agreed but they haven’t really had many solid options. People were thinking Alan Robinson would be a good guy but he was done, Beckham I think did pretty well but he was coming off injury I believe. For the cost (free) I won’t overthink the situation. If a guy can get open and be a solid reliable target for their QB they tend to get the ball.

I don’t know this kids ceiling but the training camp buzz was good. I grabbed Amon Ra his rookie year when he started getting a couple big target games. Many people didn’t believe him even after he performed extremely well at the end of his rookie year….now he’s a top 5 wr.

I am NOT saying that will be Nacua but for the cost, free waiver pickup and dropping the last guy on my bench, it’s a no brainer.
Robinson was asked to play outside in LA, and at this stage of his career, he just can't be effective there.

Even if Kupp returns healthy, I see no reason why Puca can't slide into a Robert Woods type role in that offense.

Meyers should have been rostered already. He won't score two tds every week and will probably be out with a concussion week two, but with Adams drawing bracket coverage and Jimmy G liking short routes he's got a shot at a 100 catch season.
For those that didn't see the game, Meyers was so effective yesterday because he had "Toast" Mathis guarding him. I mean that guy can't defend anyone, so I think this game represents the exception and not the rule. Plus with the concussion concern-I would stay away this week.
This. Mathis might be the worst starting CB in the NFL. #2 WRs against Denver is gonna be a thing was my takeaway.

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)
The biggest takeaway from Johnson's performance was that he gave the Bears a spark on offense when they were not able to get anything going. He ran tough, and broke tackles, and did great as a receiver too. I watched the whole game, and he looked like their best back. I see his touches increasing for sure
It's the beauty of sports. People are allowed to disagree and the best part is we find out who was correct. I think his 11 touches in week 1 will be his season high. Barring injuries of course.

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)
It's the beauty of sports. People are allowed to disagree and the best part is we find out who was correct. I think his 11 touches in week 1 will be his season high. Barring injuries of course.
Not sure about that. That was a grown man's run he had yesterday, and I'd be surprised if that didn't catch the eye of the coaches. May not lead to a bigger role, but I wouldn't discount his opportunities just because most of his time was spent in garbage time.

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)

Garbage time... with the #1 QB on the field. And, passed the eye test. Meanwhile, Herbert and Foreman are JAGs. I don't know if Johnson is the #1 priority, but I would be adding him where I could.

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)
Not sure about that. That was a grown man's run he had yesterday, and I'd be surprised if that didn't catch the eye of the coaches. May not lead to a bigger role, but I wouldn't discount his opportunities just because most of his time was spent in garbage time.
Exactly, and he almost had a reception for a TD too before he converted the goaline touch into a rushing TD. I actually think it was, and he displayed great balance and tip toed on the sideline. Johnson got me excited

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)

What kind of analysis brings you to that conclusion... other than maybe being a Herbert owner? :-)

Pass

Hayden Winks

@HaydenWinks

Roschon Johnson (92%)
Eli Mitchell (88%)
Jerome Ford (73%)
Exactly, and he almost had a reception for a TD too before he converted the goaline touch into a rushing TD. I actually think it was, and he displayed great balance and tip toed on the sideline. Johnson got me excited
It's obviously not the 1960s-80s any more, but if there is one RB that can epitomize old school Bears football, it's Roschon.

Users who are viewing this thread