What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1990 - #1 George Michael - Freedom '90 (3 Viewers)

The tune, particularly the early part, reminds me a little bit of the opening to The Warriors
At first I read this as Dream Warriors and thought to myself that comparing DM to Dokken was a first. I've never actually seen The Warriors. :bag:
Ah - a cult classic. It's dated but a great watch. Check it out sometime if you have a chance.
I never heard of it until this century; someone on another board I used to frequent was obsessed with it.

#42 Concrete Blonde - Joey

Bloodletting is another of my favorite albums from 1990, but unlike Violator, I'm probably a lot more on my own in that opinion. Except for @otb_lifer, who asked earlier if we would be getting some Concrete Blonde in the countdown. Lots of great choices that maybe otb would have preferred (The Vampire Song, Caroline, Tomorrow Wendy) but Joey was both the hit (#1 Modern Rock, #19 Hot 100) and the one with most personal meaning for me.

My on-and-off HS/college gf Amy did some open mic nights and loved to play Concrete Blonde. She and Johnette Napolitano are both altos, and the chords were pretty easy, but Joey especially hit closer to home for her. The song is about the pain caused by an alcoholic partner, and Amy refocused it to singing about her alcoholic father - who I was also really close with. Thinking about her singing some of those pleading lines still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. I'll never forget the pain on her face the time we were driving around in her dad's car and I dropped my sunglasses under the seat and found several empty liquor bottles. :crying:

The tune, particularly the early part, reminds me a little bit of the opening to The Warriors
At first I read this as Dream Warriors and thought to myself that comparing DM to Dokken was a first. I've never actually seen The Warriors. :bag:
You wouldn't love it but you wouldn't hate it, and you'd probably pick up on a handful of pop culture references, not just the bottle guy

You wouldn't love it but you wouldn't hate it, and you'd probably pick up on a handful of pop culture references, not just the bottle guy
It’s a period piece for sure - probably resonates more with people that lived in and around NYC.

The 1992 tour, I'm assuming. Closest they got to me was Oakland, CA. I tried to get tickets, but failed.
Yep, it was the opening date of the tour, and a preview of a lot of the issues to come. According to this article, Nirvana was asked to open before FNM.

Guns N' Roses + Metallica Launch Ill-Fated Tour

I bet Axl's Mexican Fiesta was something to behold. Slash, wearing a sombrero, cigarette hanging out of his mouth, trying to figure out how to play a mandolin in a serape.

#43 Depeche Mode - Halo

You wear guilt
Like shackles on your feet
Like a halo in reverse

The first entry from my favorite album of 1990 (and one of my favorites from the entire decade). I had to fight myself not to put a half-dozen songs in the countdown - helped out by Personal Jesus getting released in August of '89, more than a half-year before Violator. Maybe priming the pump worked, because Violator finally broke Depeche Mode in the States. Sure, they had a surprise hit with People are People back in early 1984, but that was it over here for more than 5 years. I could have sworn that both Music for the Masses and 101 were huge too, but I guess my view was skewed by its popularity among all theater kids at my HS (and yours truly as well). Halo wasn't a single but it did have a video and was a mainstay at the clubs.

My first grown up concert with my first grown up girlfriend was Depeche Mode's Summer Tour supporting Songs Of Faith And Devotion. Prior to that show, we would play Violator constantly, especially during those special grown up times. Halo was instantly a favorite. At the concert, I can still remember they opened with Rush, and then went to Halo, and my whole world opened up.

I owe a great amount of my growing up from nerdy Christian kid to the F'd up adult I am today to Depeche Mode, that concert, that album, and that song.

Bloodletting is another of my favorite albums from 1990, but unlike Violator, I'm probably a lot more on my own in that opinion. Except for @otb_lifer, who asked earlier if we would be getting some Concrete Blonde in the countdown. Lots of great choices that maybe otb would have preferred (The Vampire Song, Caroline, Tomorrow Wendy) but Joey was both the hit (#1 Modern Rock, #19 Hot 100) and the one with most personal meaning for me.

My on-and-off HS/college gf Amy did some open mic nights and loved to play Concrete Blonde. She and Johnette Napolitano are both altos, and the chords were pretty easy, but Joey especially hit closer to home for her. The song is about the pain caused by an alcoholic partner, and Amy refocused it to singing about her alcoholic father - who I was also really close with. Thinking about her singing some of those pleading lines still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. I'll never forget the pain on her face the time we were driving around in her dad's car and I dropped my sunglasses under the seat and found several empty liquor bottles. :crying:
Forgot where I came across this song, probably in some draft here. Big fan

#56 - The Lightning Seeds - Pure

Consecutive songs from Liverpool bands!

Remember when you were young and judged a potential girlfriend/boyfriend via their CD collection? Back when I first met Mrs. Scorchy in the mid-90s, I noticed a lot of overlap in our respective tastes, and aside from the completist nature of her Jesus and Mary Chain collection, it was the fact that she had owned the Lightning Seeds debut album Cloudcuckooland that really had me smitten. Lead single Pure is perfect 80s-esque synthpop and I still totally love it. It was the bands only hit in the U.S., reaching number 31 on the Hot 100 in late 1990.
Pure, All I Want, Life of Riley, Change, Sugar Coated Iceberg are so much pop fun.
His biggest hit though is with a couple of comedians, David Baddiel and Frank Skinner. it gets trotted out at every soccer tournament.
It has hit number one on 3 separate occasions 1996, 1998 and 2018. It is called Three Lions

Lucky You is peak Lightning Seeds

I really like this band too. Seems like they coukd have been bigger if they wanted to work to appeal more to a wider audience, but that wasn't their thing.

I prefer Caroline as my favorite off this album, its a beautiful tune. Another maudlin one.

And Mike Ness was definitely not Dylan’s dad on 90210 - but maybe an Uncle???

Or maybe I only watched that show and Melrose Pace back to back drunk and stoned watching with my buds and our girls every week in Hoboken.

Also in relation to the Lightning Seeds, it was 1990 when the best England football track was released, however I doubt we see New Order appear here, at least not with that one

#43 Depeche Mode - Halo

You wear guilt
Like shackles on your feet
Like a halo in reverse

The first entry from my favorite album of 1990 (and one of my favorites from the entire decade). I had to fight myself not to put a half-dozen songs in the countdown - helped out by Personal Jesus getting released in August of '89, more than a half-year before Violator. Maybe priming the pump worked, because Violator finally broke Depeche Mode in the States. Sure, they had a surprise hit with People are People back in early 1984, but that was it over here for more than 5 years. I could have sworn that both Music for the Masses and 101 were huge too, but I guess my view was skewed by its popularity among all theater kids at my HS (and yours truly as well). Halo wasn't a single but it did have a video and was a mainstay at the clubs.
Their fairly recent song, Ghosts Again, is so much like their original works that it took me back to HS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyrLRixMs8

Also in relation to the Lightning Seeds, it was 1990 when the best England football track was released, however I doubt we see New Order appear here, at least not with that one
Buried in the 2nd post of the thread - First Five Out:

New Order - World in Motion: recorded for the 1990 World Cup, I loved New Order and had just started to love soccer so I thought this song was great. It's not. The John Barnes rap is comical. Bernard Sumner called it "the last straw for Joy Division fans."

Yea a girl really liking this song was definitely a red flag.

Not a deal breaker, this is a good song. But the Crazypants Radar was definitely turned on.

#41 Pantera - Cemetery Gates

Back towards the beginning of this thread, @rockaction posted about how 1990 was a banner year for thrash metal. I pled ignorance of the genre but promised him a lone entry. I don't know if this is right one, but from my starting list of more than 200 songs from the year (including a half-dozen or so thrash tunes), this is the one that made the cut. And then as I was obsessing over rankings, repeated listens kept it rising up the charts.

Back in 1990, if you would have asked me about Cemetery Gates, I would have thought you were talking about the song by The Smiths. Hell, before I started this earlier in the summer, I'm pretty sure I had only heard Pantera at this one seedy Philly strip club where the dancers picked their own music off a jukebox. Now I thinks it's a pretty damn excellent song, but maybe that a poseur opinion among the Pantera faithful.

Last edited:
Huh. That was good timing. Well then, I guess I did spoil it a bit back then.

Pantera was on the cusp of becoming a bigger thrash band in 1990. Would have bet dollars to donuts you'd get a Metallica song here, but here we are.

I don't think it'd get you called a poseur at all. Pantera's first album, though, would. It was all hair metal and poseur-y. This one was off of their second, and while maybe a holdover, it certainly rocked hard enough. Somehow they crossed over without too much of a fight from the crowds. The bands they supported sure seemed to dig them. Vinnie and Diamond were never glamsters. That must have helped.

This was off of Cowboys From Hell, right? This was a huge breakthrough album for them. Yeah, no poseurs there, really.

The title track carried them into coolness. It didn't hurt that they crossed over into thrash just as thrash was getting "cool" in the metal set. I really think that certain magazine and Headbanger's Ball paved their way.

And Anselmo could scream like no other this side of Zach De La Rocha, who could also wind up here if you trace him back far enough.

Would have bet dollars to donuts you'd get a Metallica song here, but here we are.
Thanks for filling in some blanks, rock. Even though I like the song I haven't done a deeper dive.

The Metallica comment had me in panic mode for a sec though. Justice was 88 and the Black Album was 91. Did I miss something?

No. Not at all. Just off the top of my head. I'm just following along and thinking out loud. You didn't miss anything.

I can say that your Fugazi pick got me to thinking, and I'm listening to an adjacent genre right now thinking "1990?! Oh snap. . ."

About a mile down the road, stepdad ejects the tape, reads aloud "Oingo Boingo?" and throws the tape out the window. Good stepdad energy there!

Oh my word. That is nicely abhorrent. Lots of stepdads round these parts these days. Apparently this guy is no Chris!

Cemetery Gates is two pieces in one, when it's softer it's no big deal, but when it gets heavy it's off the charts. A Dimebag showpiece, what a ****ing riff. From where I sit, and I know they got "better", it's still my Pantera go-to. Play it for somebody who would otherwise hate Pantera, and watch them pick their jaw up off the floor

And then there's what's his name, a pretty good singer

And Mike Ness was definitely not Dylan’s dad on 90210 - but maybe an Uncle???

Or maybe I only watched that show and Melrose Pace back to back drunk and stoned watching with my buds and our girls every week in Hoboken.
Josh Taylor played Dylan’s father (Jack). :bag:
There were a couple of guys that played Dylan’s dad for an episode before Josh Taylor became the regular one. Wasn’t Mike Ness though - had to look it up.

Hard to forget when Jack died (presumably at the time) in that car explosion.

it's still my Pantera go-to. Play it for somebody who would otherwise hate Pantera, and watch them pick their jaw up off the floor

Lol. Depends on the who, when, where, how I assure you. Life is context. Because I just thought if you're about to break into Springfield, MA, and you've just shut off modern strip club music and said, "Hey, check out Pantera!" you might be watching them wipe the floor with my jaw. That might be the way they go.

I just had a 1992 memory from 1990 music, by the way. Has to do with youth and Women's Studies and a whole host of academic bongo. I'll share should it ever become relevant. It will not have that Chris stepdad energy, I assure you.

it's still my Pantera go-to. Play it for somebody who would otherwise hate Pantera, and watch them pick their jaw up off the floor

Lol. Depends on the who, when, where, how I assure you. Life is context. Because I just thought if you're about to break into Springfield, MA, and you've just shut off modern strip club music and said, "Hey, check out Pantera!" you might be watching them wipe the floor with my jaw. That might be the way they go.

I just had a 1992 memory from 1990 music, by the way. Has to do with youth and Women's Studies and a whole host of academic bongo. I'll share should it ever become relevant. It will not have that Chris stepdad energy, I assure you.
Yeah this is all post history. In 1990 I had no idea who Pantera were.... actually ALL of my Pantera knowledge is pretty much revisionist. When they showed up in my sphere, a couple years later.. my interest was minimal. My cup ran over already. Even now.. you've got me, there's "Walk" and this but otherwise I never loved it

Yeah this is all post history

Oh no. I wasn't criticizing. I was laughing that if in 2023 you did this, you'd get punched on the dance floor.

"Hey guys, ladies! Check Pantera out!"

I was really just kidding and talking just to talk. No sort of judgment or anything. Just laughing at the thought. I'm a little loose today. Pardon me.

It's a great song, really. I'm just interalizing scorchy's stripper with throwing this one on the jukebox today. That is all. It sounds pretty much 33 years old, for sure.

Nothing like my version of a strip club, which is back in the aughts and features LIl' Jon. Hwarf.

Get low. Get low. Get low.

What do you think they play at strip clubs these days? Does modern consciousness even allow for them on any fun level? Do we just fork over the money at the door and see nudity if we're lucky? How do the 23'ers do it? Does it come with an Emma Goldman lecture?

Yeah this is all post history

Oh no. I wasn't criticizing. I was laughing that if in 2023 you did this, you'd get punched on the dance floor.

"Hey guys, ladies! Check Pantera out!"

I was really just kidding and talking just to talk. No sort of judgment or anything. Just laughing at the thought. I'm a little loose today. Pardon me.
I hear you, no offense taken at all, but.. this track is a proven winner. Even @scorchy likes it.

It's a great song, really. I'm just interalizing scorchy's stripper with throwing this one on the jukebox today. That is all. It sounds pretty much 33 years old, for sure.

Nothing like my version of a strip club, which is back in the aughts and features LIl' Jon. Hwarf.

What do you think they play at strip clubs these days? Does modern consciousness even allow for them on any fun level? Do we just fork over the money at the door and see nudity if we're lucky? How do the 23'ers do it? Does it come with an Emma Goldman lecture?
I don't think there's any time where this qualifies as a stripper song, but I don't know much about stripper songs, I do think this qualifies as a transcendent metal song that you could blast at any say, Halloween party, not so sure about the pole, but that does sound interesting

Big fan, Johnette could really belt it out and Mankey had those slinky guitar lines. Definitely didn't sound like many other bands. And somehow the drummer from Roxy Music also ended up there.

I am no longer a strip club aficionado for several dozen reasons, none of which have to do with evolving mores (my own or the world's). These days,most ladies who in the past would have been inclined to dance can make more money on OnlyFans without having to deal with a bunch of old creepers in person. I would guess current Hip Hop is the music du jour (or nuit as it is) just like 10 years ago.

Back in the late 90s/early aughts though, pre-kid and Mrs. Scorchy working 80 hrs a week at the law firm and me being bored, I frequented (once a week?) a seedy blue collar club in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia. That's the exact kind of place where you were just as likely to hear Pantera and Korn as 50 Cent. I miss that place.

Last edited:
Joey I'm not angry anymore

Now that's stuck in my head. Isn't @Charlie Steiner the resident Smithereens expert? Perhaps he knows this song and has a backstory or something...
Yeah, I blew my Smithereens backstory when I posted Yesterday Girl, which itself was just a paste from my 1988 thread discussing Only a Memory.

I hadn't seen that in this countdown, but now I remember it from the '88 thread. Wow. That's an unreal thing. I'd also believe your version rather than the cynical one.

Joey I'm not angry anymore

Now that's stuck in my head. Isn't @Charlie Steiner the resident Smithereens expert? Perhaps he knows this song and has a backstory or something...
Not familiar with that quote, and don't know of any backstory. I will say that the album it appears on, 11, was their 'best' shot at crossing into the mainstream. It also contains the song A Girl Like You, which Cameron Crowe rejected for the soundtrack for Say Anything. Too on the nose with the lyrics, and as much as I love the band, it wasn't as iconic as the Peter Gabriel song In Your Eyes.

Sorry I don't have better intel.

Last edited:
Cemetery Gates is two pieces in one, when it's softer it's no big deal, but when it gets heavy it's off the charts. A Dimebag showpiece, what a ****ing riff. From where I sit, and I know they got "better", it's still my Pantera go-to. Play it for somebody who would otherwise hate Pantera, and watch them pick their jaw up off the floor

And then there's what's his name, a pretty good singer
Excellent song off an outstanding album.

#39 Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

As a 17 year-old boy in early 1990, did I love this song because of the music or was it the video with Alannah Myles in black chaps and white shirt, all raven-haired and sultry? My wife slaps my hand to make sure I stop on Black Velvet whenever we're scanning channels on SiriusXM (I probably would have anyway), so that points to the former. She also always brings up how hot Alannah was, so maybe it's the latter? I can say for sure that I remember this video better than the ones associated with probably 90 percent of the tracks from 40-100. A shallow reason for pushing it up into the top 40 but I used similar criteria on deciding which of many Janet Jackson songs to feature in the next few days.

Black Velvet was released as the lead single in Alannah's native Canada in the summer of '89 and became a top 10 hit there. Atlantic followed it up with a US/worldwide release in January 1990, and it soared to #1 in the States and went top 5 in a half-dozen other countries. The song also garnered her a grammy win for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance. I was certain Alannah Myles was a one-hit wonder, but her follow up (Love Is, which I swear I've never heard) briefly reached the Billboard Top 40. She's put out 5 more albums since and managed a few hits in Canada and northern Europe (???).

This is only the second Billboard #1 listed in the countdown so far with 5 more to come. More on that later.

Much to my pre-internet confusion, Atlantic also gave the song to country artist Robin Lee, who had a hit with it on country radio at the same type Alannah was burning up the pop charts. I swear the video must have been shot by the same director, but Robin Lee lacked Alannah's voice and vibe.

#55 The Smithereens - Yesterday Girl

I'm copying this from my 1988 thread too, but should have saved if for here. TL; DR Smithereens will always hold a special place for me because of the free show they played at the Gator Bandshell during a really ####ed time of my freshman year. The story involves a serial killer. My favorite (I think) Smithereens song is still to come.

The Smithereens will forever be larger-than-life to me - a funny thing to say about a bunch of unassuming "bar band" guys from North Jersey.

I mentioned way upthread about the serial murders that absolutely shook Gainesville during the first few weeks of my freshman year in August/September 1990. Not gonna get too much into it, but as a 17-year old living 800 miles from home, it was... I don't really know how to appropriately describe it. There's a memorial on the 34th Street Wall with the victims' names that's been maintained for over 30 years now. When I was visiting UF with my son this past summer, we went to the wall and I just lost it - completely overwhelmed. Shocking for my son, who I don't think was prepared for the impact it would have on his old man.

Anyway, after canceling classes for a week and lots of students heading home, UF re-opened after a suspect was identified and arrested (it turned out not to be the guy). Student government announced a free show at the Gator Bandshell by the Smithereens for the following Friday, and it turned into two hours of just pure joy - several thousand college kids getting a chance to just be college kids again. The Smithereens owned the stage, playing hits and new songs and covers and everything in between. It being late summer in Florida, the skies opened up near the end of their set and drenched everyone - not a soul in the crowd headed for their cars. The band kept playing and playing, coming out for several encores until Pat DiNizio basically said "This has to be the last one b/c we're out of songs." I'll never forget the show of love between the band and the crowd - it's like they knew how badly we all needed this and seemed honored to be the ones to deliver.

Or maybe I'm projecting and the Smithereens forgot all about it by the time they did their next show in Atlanta or Birmingham - but I'm still gonna believe my version. I still can't hear a Smithereens song without all of this flooding back and I'll always love them for it.
Totally missed this before. Great story.

They are such an enigma; their own material is kind of niche, yet they are well-versed and able to deliver more 'generic' music for mass consumption. They (probably Pat more than the others) have/had a thing for noire, and it showed on their songs. Blood and Roses is the song that caught my attention, and Behind the Wall of Sleep is what hooked me. Despite living just 2 states away from them, I never got to see them live, and when I finally was. Pat died and they put their touring on hold for a couple of months. Thankfully they're back at it, but I can't seem to get the timing right to see them when they're local (either Ram's Head in Annapolis or The Birchmere in VA). I believe they do a 'meet and greet' at their shows as well, which would be cool too.

#39 Alannah Myles - Black Velvet

As a 17 year-old boy in early 1990, did I love this song because of the music or was it the video with Alannah Myles in black chaps and white shirt, all raven-haired and sultry? My wife slaps my hand to make sure I stop on Black Velvet whenever we're scanning channels on SiriusXM (I probably would have anyway), so that points to the former. She also always brings up how hot Alannah was, so maybe it's the latter? I can say for sure that I remember this video better than the ones associated with probably 90 percent of the tracks from 40-100. A shallow reason for pushing it up into the top 40 but I used similar criteria on deciding which of many Janet Jackson songs to feature in the next few days.

Black Velvet was released as the lead single in Alannah's native Canada in the summer of '89 and became a top 10 hit there. Atlantic followed it up with a US/worldwide release in January 1990, and it soared to #1 in the States and went top 5 in a half-dozen other countries. The song also garnered her a grammy win for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance. I was certain Alannah Myles was a one-hit wonder, but her follow up (Love Is, which I swear I've never heard) briefly reached the Billboard Top 40. She's put out 5 more albums since and managed a few hits in Canada and northern Europe (???).

This is only the second Billboard #1 listed in the countdown so far with 5 more to come. More on that later.

Much to my pre-internet confusion, Atlantic also gave the song to country artist Robin Lee, who had a hit with it on country radio at the same type Alannah was burning up the pop charts. I swear the video must have been shot by the same director, but Robin Lee lacked Alannah's voice and vibe.
Myles was involved with Christopher Ward who was an original "VJ" on MuchMusic (Canada's MTV). He discovered her when she was 19 and found a band to support her as a cover artist. He wrote Black Velvet for her. He was about 10 years older than Alannah and there was a rumored romance, but it was never confirmed. I see some rumors Myles was involved with Robert Plant in the early 90s, but I don't remember that.
Alannah was supposed to be hot and sultry based on the BV video.
But, I had a friend that met her backstage at the height of Black Velvet and he said she was "good from far, but far from good".

A shallow reason for pushing it up into the top 40 but I used similar criteria on deciding which of many Janet Jackson songs to feature in the next few days.
Oh wow, was Rhythm Nation 1990? Sweet, that was a great album.

Users who are viewing this thread