What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, KC (1 Viewer)

In about 6 seasons, he has 3 winning ones and managed to go 11-2 his Sophomore Year

151 TD vs 66 INT
Career Passer Rating 89
Completions at 62-63%
Someone will kick tires now that no draft capital is involved.
Won't get paid a lot of money but somebody will give him decent back up money to come and push whoever else is on the roster.

Man somebody either in here or the Colts thread was passionately arguing with me that this guy is actually good because of espn’s QBR or something after the 2021 season. I don’t care enough to try and find it but one of the oddest arguments I’ve ever seen here. This guy is an all-time loser QB.
I can see you're not going to like when he signs with the Bucs
Bite your tongue! I would rather watch Trask try and fail than bringing in Wentz.
And as a Bucs fan I don't disagree but the Bucs are known for taking veteran QBs and getting success.
Brady and Brad are the 2 QBs that lifted the Lombardi Trophies for Tampa Bay
The idea they will make it work on a drafted QB, just has never worked for them.

Testeverde, Dilfer, Winston,
Brady-43 yrs old
Brad-35 yrs old

Bucs would be best served trying to grab Rodgers for a year or two, maybe catch some lightning in a bottle again.

Bucs are an option. AZ until Kyler is healthy are an option. Seattle if they lose Geno to FA are an option. The ol Frank Reich reunion is a little far-fetched but possible option in Carolina.

Guy is done. It has always been between the ears IMO. He just doesn't have it. Maybe he had it before the injury in Philly the way RG3 had it before his injury. But I can't fathom anyone paying beyond the vet minimum to roster him.
Colt McCoy has managed to carve out a bottom of the barrel journeyman career, don't sell these guys short
;)
Carson Wentz is so much more mentally weaker than these guys and some sort of insane level of pride. No chance he will have a "career backup" moniker next to his NFL profile if he has a say.

Guy is done. It has always been between the ears IMO. He just doesn't have it. Maybe he had it before the injury in Philly the way RG3 had it before his injury. But I can't fathom anyone paying beyond the vet minimum to roster him.
Colt McCoy has managed to carve out a bottom of the barrel journeyman career, don't sell these guys short
;)
I watched Colt in Washington, he was much more poised than Carson.

Man somebody either in here or the Colts thread was passionately arguing with me that this guy is actually good because of espn’s QBR or something after the 2021 season. I don’t care enough to try and find it but one of the oddest arguments I’ve ever seen here. This guy is an all-time loser QB.
From
From Brady to him would he the worst QB turnover in nfl history.

In about 6 seasons, he has 3 winning ones and managed to go 11-2 his Sophomore Year

151 TD vs 66 INT
Career Passer Rating 89
Completions at 62-63%
Someone will kick tires now that no draft capital is involved.
Won't get paid a lot of money but somebody will give him decent back up money to come and push whoever else is on the roster.
If he WANTS - he'll get a shot to compete in training camp somewhere.
In 2021 Wentz wanted nothing to do with fighting for a job in training camp, which is why he forced his way to the Colts.
At this point, that's his best shot. No one is going to bring him in as a starter. If he wants a job, I think he can get one...I don't know if he has the will to compete for a job or take a backup role to reinvent himself though. It's possible he takes a good hard look at his career and wants to make a go of it, but we shall see.

Wentz, Trubisky, Mayfield, and Mariota could all have very long and profitable careers as high end backups if they can swallow their pride and accept that barring injury, their starting careers are over.

Though, the fact that I would lump those guys all together, is probably not where Wentz (or Mayfield) would prefer to be viewed I'm sure. Truthfully if I were an NFL team Trubisky is probably the one I'd want most, as he's seemed most open to being a backup.
That's probably a little hyperbole, just off the top of my head the Cardinals have had 2 bigger downgrades in just the last 15 years. Kurt Warner to Derek Anderson, and Carson Palmer to Josh Rosen. Wentz is at least competent and can make some plays.

;)
He was, and even then McCoy was not good.
Imagine if your 2 possible starting QB's were Colt McCoy and Carson Wentz. You're screwed.

Wentz, Trubisky, Mayfield, and Mariota could all have very long and profitable careers as high end backups if they can swallow their pride and accept that barring injury, their starting careers are over.
Disagree about Wentz. When he's on the field it's like he's on his own Panic Planet.

I still run into Iggles fans who still want Wentz as the starting QB every now and then, the cognitive dissonance is amazing. Now Philly can sign him as a backup!

Actually no... is he even better than Gardner Minishew at this point? nvm Wentz' galactic ego for a sec.

Though, the fact that I would lump those guys all together, is probably not where Wentz (or Mayfield) would prefer to be viewed I'm sure. Truthfully if I were an NFL team Trubisky is probably the one I'd want most, as he's seemed most open to being a backup.
That's probably a little hyperbole, just off the top of my head the Cardinals have had 2 bigger downgrades in just the last 15 years. Kurt Warner to Derek Anderson, and Carson Palmer to Josh Rosen. Wentz is at least competent and can make some plays.
It's definitely hyperbole. He wouldn't even be the worst QB to follow up Brady.

And Mac Jones was following up the version of Brady that was still elite to boot.

And Mac Jones was following up the version of Brady that was still elite to boot.

Rookie Mac >>> current Wentz

;)
He was, and even then McCoy was not good.
Imagine if your 2 possible starting QB's were Colt McCoy and Carson Wentz. You're screwed.
I've always had disdain for McCoy ever since he squelched in the Bowl game. Waste of a roster spot and someone else's NFL career

From
I hope you know I was just having fun. I don't think the Bucs will actually sign him but it highlights how many teams are lost at QB right now.

Tanner McKee from Stanford has possibilities and I wouldn't mind watching Trask and a Rookie battle it out. The OL will be improved still weapons on this roster and they can start moving off guys that are in the 30+ age range and get a youth movement started. If the Bucs go 4-13 in '23, they become a player for a QB upgrade in '24. There are going to be some post-Brady effects but I think the Bucs should simply continue to build out their lines and draft more playmakers for the secondary and simply be ready for the next QB. Draft? Terrific if that happens, if they sign a veteran they've proven they can do that. But don't chase pipe dreams, just continue to build a strong foundation awaiting the next QB to take them back to the top.

I like that Bruce Arians is still in the building and maybe post Brady he can re-assemble things and usher in anew era for the Bucs.

Waste of a roster spot and someone else's NFL career
If there was some one better than him, they would take his spot. It's not like he literally blocked some one else - it doesn't work that way. He's been a solid steady spot starter for years, which is why he's stuck around. There just aren't very many good QBs or he'd be "retired".

Waste of a roster spot and someone else's NFL career
If there was some one better than him, they would take his spot. It's not like he literally blocked some one else - it doesn't work that way. He's been a solid steady spot starter for years, which is why he's stuck around. There just aren't very many good QBs or he'd be "retired".
Somebody was bagging groceries somewhere that would have gone further than McCoy did.
Kurt Warner bagged groceries until someone finally got out of his way.
In fact all grocery baggers have been held back because of Colt McCoy's NFL existence

Crazy to think these guys went 2, 2, 1, and 2 in their respective drafts. Baker won ROTY, Wentz got a ring, Trubisky and Mariota, yikes man. I guess of these guys Wentz has had the most successful career which is mind boggling to me.

Rookie Mac >>> current Wentz
100% this. Imagine Wentz in a Matt Patricia led offense. Slightly off topic, but man I think Mac Jones is being grossly underrated right now. I'd still rather have him than Carr or D. Jones.

Crazy to think these guys went 2, 2, 1, and 2 in their respective drafts. Baker won ROTY, Wentz got a ring, Trubisky and Mariota, yikes man. I guess of these guys Wentz has had the most successful career which is mind boggling to me.
I always thought Wentz and Trubisky were both overdrafted, but Mayfield and especially Mariota have been surprising. It does add to the evidence that high 1st round picks, while potentially valuable, are never a sure thing.

I always thought Wentz and Trubisky were both overdrafted, but Mayfield and especially Mariota have been surprising. It does add to the evidence that high 1st round picks, while potentially valuable, are never a sure thing.
Wentz broke. Maybe the ACL, the back injury, the concussion, seeing your backup win a Super Bowl, seeing your team draft a QB in the 2nd - or most likely some combination of all of the above. But it broke him. 2017 Wentz and 2022 Wentz are two different people.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports former Commanders QB Carson Wentz intends to continue playing.​

Wentz was seen having dinner with his team of agents late Friday night in Indianapolis. Rapoport adds that Wentz is open to "various roles that can help a team," leaving the door open for a backup contract with an organization requiring a veteran presence in the locker room. It is likely Wentz will need to see a few dominoes fall prior to inking any deal, most notably free agent quarterback Derek Carr and the numerous viable youngsters to come from this year's draft class.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 4, 2023, 5:55 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports former Commanders QB Carson Wentz has received interest from teams and is open to any role.​

Wentz has not been brought in for a formal visit all offseason, but is working out in Los Angeles and "might wait longer into offseason to see what develops" per Fowler. To the credit of NFL GMs, most of them saw through Wentz's 27/7 touchdown/interception ratio in 2021 and he made just seven starts for the Commanders in 2022 between benching and injuries. Wentz simply isn't the same player he was in 2020 and will likely have to settle for a backup role if he wants to continue playing.
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on ESPN
May 14, 2023, 3:25 PM ET

Wentz is interesting, because he can still be a good passer. He made a lot of nice throws even in a down season in Washington. The issues with him were playing too much hero ball and having some bad luck/play calling. Only Lamar Jackson had a higher % of accurate passes dropped last season. It felt like Wentz just lost his confidence, sometimes opting to just take sacks. Wentz didn't have any of those problems in 2021 (though he had a fumbling problem that year) and if he can even come close to that, he'd be an ideal backup.

Wentz had 2 solid games to start the season, then had a rough game against Philly, where his team did zero blocking (23 pressures) another rough game against a top Dallas D (19 pressures) then a very good game against the Titans, then a game where got hurt against the Bears where he played poorly. Not arguing he should be a starter anywhere, but as an experienced backup who can provide a spark, I see some appeal.

If Wentz is open to being a backup, he'd be an upgrade for all but a handful of teams.

Ari-McCoy (even more desirable depending on Kyler's status, could be a week 1 starter)
Bal-Huntley (now that Roman is gone, does mobility matter so much?)
Buf-Barkley
Chi-Walker
Cin-Siemian

Dal-Rush (I know he has a decent record, but they won in spite of him)
Den-Stidham
GB-Clifford (that's seriously their backup plan?)
Hou-Mills
Ind-Minshew (unlikely to return to Indy as Irsay seemed to hate Wentz)
KC-Gabbert
LAC-Stick/Duggan
LAR-Bennett
Mia-White (not impressed just because he outplayed Zach Wilson)
Min-Mullens
NE-Zappe (I might be underrating him)
NO-Winston (even more mistake prone)
NYG-Taylor
NYJ-Wilson
SF-Lance/Darnold (more confident Shanahan can fix Wentz than either of them, moot if Purdy is good for week 1)
Sea-Lock

That's 21 teams he could be an upgrade for if you are being aggressive about upgrading. The bolded are the ones that make the most sense to me, as they offer either a shot at playing time, or situations where they are contenders who are screwed if the starter goes down.

I will say, I don't think Wentz is the top FA QB, I think that's Teddy Bridgewater, who I'd add would probably be the best QB if he were in Tampa, but I think Wentz is pretty equal to Mayfield. Something like Teddy to Arizona (or Buffalo) and Wentz to Cincinnati would make a lot of sense.

Wentz is interesting, because he can still be a good passer. He made a lot of nice throws even in a down season in Washington. The issues with him were playing too much hero ball and having some bad luck/play calling. Only Lamar Jackson had a higher % of accurate passes dropped last season. It felt like Wentz just lost his confidence, sometimes opting to just take sacks. Wentz didn't have any of those problems in 2021 (though he had a fumbling problem that year) and if he can even come close to that, he'd be an ideal backup.

Wentz had 2 solid games to start the season, then had a rough game against Philly, where his team did zero blocking (23 pressures) another rough game against a top Dallas D (19 pressures) then a very good game against the Titans, then a game where got hurt against the Bears where he played poorly. Not arguing he should be a starter anywhere, but as an experienced backup who can provide a spark, I see some appeal.

If Wentz is open to being a backup, he'd be an upgrade for all but a handful of teams.

Ari-McCoy (even more desirable depending on Kyler's status, could be a week 1 starter)
Bal-Huntley (now that Roman is gone, does mobility matter so much?)
Buf-Barkley
Chi-Walker
Cin-Siemian

Dal-Rush (I know he has a decent record, but they won in spite of him)
Den-Stidham
GB-Clifford (that's seriously their backup plan?)
Hou-Mills
Ind-Minshew (unlikely to return to Indy as Irsay seemed to hate Wentz)
KC-Gabbert
LAC-Stick/Duggan
LAR-Bennett
Mia-White (not impressed just because he outplayed Zach Wilson)
Min-Mullens
NE-Zappe (I might be underrating him)
NO-Winston (even more mistake prone)
NYG-Taylor
NYJ-Wilson
SF-Lance/Darnold (more confident Shanahan can fix Wentz than either of them, moot if Purdy is good for week 1)
Sea-Lock

That's 21 teams he could be an upgrade for if you are being aggressive about upgrading. The bolded are the ones that make the most sense to me, as they offer either a shot at playing time, or situations where they are contenders who are screwed if the starter goes down.

I will say, I don't think Wentz is the top FA QB, I think that's Teddy Bridgewater, who I'd add would probably be the best QB if he were in Tampa, but I think Wentz is pretty equal to Mayfield. Something like Teddy to Arizona (or Buffalo) and Wentz to Cincinnati would make a lot of sense.
NYJ won't cut Wilson for cap reasons and I doubt it makes sense to sign Wentz and carry 3 qbs but this is a pretty good list. Teams like CIN and LAC make the most sense. He's no threat to the current young qb but they have SB aspirations. Wentz could be successful with those WRs bailing him out when he plays hero ball. Teams like ARI and CHI make less sense. They don't really expect to win right now. Spending money to take on that baggage for marginal improvement doesn't make much sense.

ESPN's Paul Gutierrez writes about Jimmy Garoppolo's foot situation: "If the Raiders have to look elsewhere ... Carson Wentz would seem to be the best option."

Gutierrez is not the first person on the Raiders beat we've seen speculate about Wentz coming aboard Josh McDaniels' ship if Garoppolo's foot proves to not be ready by training camp. "Raiders pass game coordinator Scott Turner has experience with Wentz as the Washington Commanders' offensive coordinator last season, for what it's worth," Gutierrez added. Currently, the Raiders have Brian Hoyer slated to be the main backup for Garoppolo, with 2023 fourth-rounder Aidan O'Connell in a developmental role.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN
Jun 8, 2023 at 2:28 PM ET

Rest In Absolute Peace to Raiders fantasy players if Wentz ends up there.
Because JimmyG would have catapulted them into the FF stratosphere otherwise? :oldunsure:
Cmon now. Jimmy didn't really HURT 49ers fantasy value as much as he just didn't get them to their absolute ceiling.
Jimmy was painful.
If Jimmy is painful (I disagree), then Wentz is deadly to a team.

Because JimmyG would have catapulted them into the FF stratosphere otherwise? :oldunsure:
Cmon now. Jimmy didn't really HURT 49ers fantasy value as much as he just didn't get them to their absolute ceiling.
Jimmy was painful.
At least once or twice a game Jimmy would uncork a dart straight to a DB or LB because he refused to check-down, and/or didn’t see the safety cutting the route.

Every. Single. Game.

OH NO WHAT IS YOU DOING, JIMMY?!

You could set your ****ing watch by it.

Jimmy was painful.
At least once or twice a game Jimmy would uncork a dart straight to a DB or LB because he refused to check-down, and/or didn’t see the safety cutting the route.

Every. Single. Game.

Have you ever seen Wentz play? As a Colts fan I have and I not only don't want him in uniform, I don't want him in the stadium.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

I know you’re a Niners fan. I will definitely admit, Jimmy is not a good quarterback. He has tons of faults. But to his credit, he kept you guys in championship contention. It’s universes better than what Wentz is capable of.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

I know you’re a Niners fan. I will definitely admit, Jimmy is not a good quarterback. He has tons of faults. But to his credit, he kept you guys in championship contention. It’s universes better than what Wentz is capable of.
The team around him did.

Put Wentz on those Niners teams & he wins as much as JimmyG.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

Yeah this is the exact point I’m making and were we disagree wildly. Wentz cannot keep a team afloat regardless of what’s around him. He’s incapable. Jimmy is not.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

Yeah this is the exact point I’m making and were we disagree wildly. Wentz cannot keep a team afloat regardless of what’s around him. He’s incapable. Jimmy is not.
Yeah its a little splitting atoms, bc Wentz has a bigger arm, but no mental toughness, Jimmy is limited physically, but is at least coachable. Jimmy prob will be in the league longer still, though, if his foot gets better. Wentz has proven his brain and decision making are just not going to improve anymore.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

As I’m typing this Wentz just made another bonehead play in a pickup game with kids in his neighborhood.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

As I’m typing this Wentz just made another bonehead play in a pickup game with kids in his neighborhood.
I think our hate level for the guy is about the same, although, 2017 doesn't happen without him. Was at the game he tore his acl. You probably won't ever see a guy tear an ACL ever again when neither foot is touching the ground.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

I think our hate level for the guy is about the same, although, 2017 doesn't happen without him. Was at the game he tore his acl. You probably won't ever see a guy tear an ACL ever again when neither foot is touching the ground.
Yeah, but he can’t keep living on 2017.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

Yeah its a little splitting atoms, bc Wentz has a bigger arm, but no mental toughness, Jimmy is limited physically, but is at least coachable. Jimmy prob will be in the league longer still, though, if his foot gets better. Wentz has proven his brain and decision making are just not going to improve anymore.

Exactly. Wentz is just total trash, don’t know any other way to say it. He should be out of the league. Jimmy is like the worst possible quarterback *above* the line titled won’t eff it up. He’s not good. Not claiming anything close to that. People don’t realize just how bad Wentz is though.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

I hear he sucks at Madden, too.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

That’s what’s weird about him because he was MVP level good that year. He’s been terrible since and gets worse every single minute. But man, he was incredible in 2017.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

No, he can't. But at the same time, us Eagles fans can't hate him "all that much" b/c without him, our first Super Bowl title doesn't happen. But I agree, he should be out of the league. I am actually surprised he would consider taking a back up role. I think he will get it, at some point this year, but this will be his last year in the league also. Then he can kill all the ducks his heart desires and drive around a bobcat tractor the rest of his life.

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

No, he can't. But at the same time, us Eagles fans can't hate him "all that much" b/c without him, our first Super Bowl title doesn't happen. But I agree, he should be out of the league. I am actually surprised he would consider taking a back up role. I think he will get it, at some point this year, but this will be his last year in the league also. Then he can kill all the ducks his heart desires and drive around a bobcat tractor the rest of his life.
Ok. You’re in a startup draft with 60 rounds.

what round are you targeting Wentz?

Go!

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

The team around him did.

Ok. You’re in a startup draft with 60 rounds.

what round are you targeting Wentz?

Go!
Just have an empty roster spot

Jimmy was painful.

Every. Single. Game.

Both Wentz and Jimmy kept their teams in championship contention... the problem is that was years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread