What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd Song Ranking Thread - Lists Due 5/1 (3 Viewers)

Bumped into this show this morning (which I had never heard about before). This is David Gilmour and Richard Wright (and most of the other members from PF's the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour) at an after show performance in Copenhagen - 1988-08-01, billed as The Fishermen at Annabels Night Club. This falls in the category of WTF were they thinking. Their usual backup singers take over on lead vocals. This is the band COMPLETELY out of their traditional sound and style.

Check out this bizarre setlist:
- Respect (Otis Redding / Aretha Franklin cover)
- Can't Get Enough Of Your Love (Bad Company cover)
- My Girl (Temptations cover)
- Rock Steady (Aretha Franklin cover)
- Rapper's Delight (Sugarhill Gang cover)
- Le Freak (Chic cover)
- Master Blaster (Jammin') (Stevie Wonder cover)
- Superstition (Stevie Wonder cover)

Performers:
David Gilmour - guitar
Richard Wright - keyboards
Guy Pratt - bass
Jon Karin - keyboards
Scott Page - saxophone
Gary Wallis - drums
Rachel Fury - vocals
Durga McBroom - vocals

I found a little more info on this. The party was arranged by the Danish branch of EMI, most likely as a birthday party for PF's personal security manager, Barrie Knight. The low-key
gig was most likely an unplanned event, as the performers took to the stage on a spur of the moment and played on whatever in-house equipment was available.
Wow. I’m excited to listen to it later.

Things are slow in developing so far. Only 9 lists submitted. Already up to 65 different songs. Only 3 songs appeared on every list. SPOILER ALERT: Candy And A Currant Bun IS NOT one of the three.
Lemme guess, Several Species of Whatever isn't either?

There are two songs that I expect to be on many lists that aren't on mine.

Given that you said you didn't expect for this to start for at least another month, and that many of the music-thread regulars are currently preoccupied with krista's countdown, I suspect a lot more entries will roll in eventually. There are a lot of procrastinators among the music geeks here, as krista found out with her countdowns.
Flips through pages. Checks notes and tabulations. Can confirm Several Species of Whatever has made the list.

Things are slow in developing so far. Only 9 lists submitted. Already up to 65 different songs. Only 3 songs appeared on every list. SPOILER ALERT: Candy And A Currant Bun IS NOT one of the three.

Given that you said you didn't expect for this to start for at least another month, and that many of the music-thread regulars are currently preoccupied with krista's countdown, I suspect a lot more entries will roll in eventually. There are a lot of procrastinators among the music geeks here, as krista found out with her countdowns.
Flips through pages. Checks notes and tabulations. Can confirm Several Species of Whatever has made the list.
To each his/her own, but would be very interested in hearing that person's (or those persons') rationale for picking it.

To each his/her own, but would be very interested in hearing that person's (or those persons') rationale for picking it.
Besides many years of using illicit substances?

Still just taking the lazy river approach to this for now, but I wanted to point out I haven't gotten a list from anyone in quite a while. There are 25+ people that posted in here that haven't submitted a list yet. Just sayin' . . .

Definitely planning on it, just haven't gotten around to it. But without a deadline there's not much pressure.

A little back story. I met a half dozen of my fraternity brothers I hadn't seen in a while out for a drink on Thursday night. There was a band and they did a PF tune. One of my buddies proclaimed he was the biggest PF fan in RI. I immediately showed him my list on my phone as a retort, he sent me a list yesterday morning. So that was totally in a vacuum. He has no idea what FBG is, but he is a bass player that was always a RW fan. Oh well.

Edited to add, he was rambling on about some tune he loved in college . He was super stoned when he first heard it and loved the animal noises? I can't even remember what that was. Maybe off Ummummummmumm

Last edited:
And as always, I will copy and send my collection of live concerts, demos, rare tracks, and all things Floyd to whomever wants it.
We just send you a hard drive? I still have my Dead Drive, but stopped updating it a couple of years back before covid

For me, it made the tail end of the list. Too many associations of coming down from peaking and having this etched in my brain as cohesive thoughts just started returning. Ahh, the '80s and LSD.

Last edited:

For me, it made the tail end of the list. Too many associations of coming down from peeking and having this etched in my brain as cohesive thoughts just started returning. Ahh, the '80s and LSD.
It made the first alternate of your list. It was song 26.

For me, it made the tail end of the list. Too many associations of coming down from peeking and having this etched in my brain as cohesive thoughts just started returning. Ahh, the '80s and LSD.
Makes sense. Figured it was either that or you like Scottish poetry readings.

It made the first alternate of your list. It

It made the first alternate of your list. It was song 26.
My attention to detail ain't what it used to be. Maybe I can blame Small Furry Animals...?

If people liked the other toss in, here is another after show, this one from 1987-10-11 in NYC with DG, Nick Mason, and other members of the touring band. There is some other stuff tacked on. But I believe the songs are:

- Improv Blues
- My Baby Loves Me (Martha & The Vandellas cover)
- Respect (Otis Redding cover)
- Born Under A Bad Sign (Book T & The MG's cover)
- Living For The City (Stevie Wonder cover)
- I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Gladys Knight & The Pips cover)
- Kansas City (Little Willie Littlefield cover)
- Saturday Night Live Jam
- Sissy Strut (The Meters cover)

LINK

And as always, I will copy and send my collection of live concerts, demos, rare tracks, and all things Floyd to whomever wants it.
We just send you a hard drive? I still have my Dead Drive, but stopped updating it a couple of years back before covid
No, just PM your name and postal mailing address and I will throw a bunch of stuff on a flash drive and send it to you. Mostly a greatest hits / best of from my collection.

Given the re-release for the 50th anniversary of DSOTM, the album has reentered the Billboard Top 200 albums chart. DSOTM has now been on that chart for a record 978 weeks . . . that's over 18 years (and 200 weeks more than the #2 album). Since we have time to kill . . . any guesses on the rest of the Top 10 albums in the category of most total weeks spend on the Billboard Top 200 chart?

Given the re-release for the 50th anniversary of DSOTM, the album has reentered the Billboard Top 200 albums chart. DSOTM has now been on that chart for a record 978 weeks . . . that's over 18 years (and 200 weeks more than the #2 album). Since we have time to kill . . . any guesses on the rest of the Top 10 albums in the category of most total weeks spend on the Billboard Top 200 chart?
MJ Thriller

MJ Thriller
01 - DSOTM - 978 weeks
02 - 777 weeks
03 - 756 weeks
04 - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks
10 - Thriller - 568 weeks

The albums in spots 5-9 have sort of rotated over the years.

I would speculate something from the Beatles may be up there on the list, but I would be rolling dice to guess which one. Abbey Road maybe? Sgt. Pepper? Also I'll take a shot on whatever album Don't Stop Believing is on from Journey...is that Escape? That song seems to remain popular with every cycle of students I have had over my teaching career.

I would speculate something from the Beatles may be up there on the list, but I would be rolling dice to guess which one. Abbey Road maybe? Sgt. Pepper? Also I'll take a shot on whatever album Don't Stop Believing is on from Journey...is that Escape? That song seems to remain popular with every cycle of students I have had over my teaching career.
No Beatles on the list. The highest Beatles album on the list is the album 1 at 533 weeks. That would put in the low teens. Abbey Road would be the highest-ranking standalone album, but that "only" charted for 386 weeks and is at 31.

You are definitely on to something with Journey. Rather than drag this out, I will count it. Yes, it was on Escape . . . but the album that made it on the list is Journey's Greatest Hits.

01 - Pink Floyd - DSOTM - 978 weeks
02 - 777 weeks
03 - Journey - Greatest Hits - 756 weeks
04 - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks
10 - Michael Jackson - Thriller - 568 weeks

Rumours, Eagles Greatest Hits Volume One?
Rumors is at 523 weeks . . . just a smidge below the Beatles compilation I just mentioned. Eagles are at 401 weeks . . . which would rank around 30. I am trying to work off a list that is a few months old and then see what albums have added additional weeks since then. That's why I may not have the exact ranking for everyone's guesses.

No Beatles on the list. The highest Beatles album on the list is the album 1 at 533 weeks. That would put in the low teens. Abbey Road would be the highest-ranking standalone album, but that "only" charted for 386 weeks and is at 31.

You are definitely on to something with Journey. Rather than drag this out, I will count it. Yes, it was on Escape . . . but the album that made it on the list is Journey's Greatest Hits.

02 - 777 weeks
04 - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks
Totally spitballin' here. Everytime I get in my truck and have SXM on Ozzy's Boneyard, this band is playing something....always

Metallica?

Also thought Rumours would be on there. Thats always playing on the SXM Classic Vinyl station...

Taking nothing away from Journey as they owned the late 1970s and early 1980s AOR somewhat.. but kinda sucks a Greatest Hits album makes the list. Was thinking more actual albums, not compilations.

02 - 777 weeks
04 - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks
Totally spitballin' here. Everytime I get in my truck and have SXM on Ozzy's Boneyard, this band is playing something....always

Metallica?

Also thought Rumours would be on there. Thats always playing on the SXM Classic Vinyl station...
02 - 777 weeks
04 - Metallica - Metallica (aka the Black Album) - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks

The current Billboard Top 200 albums chart is filled with older albums. One at 900+ weeks. Three at 700+ weeks. Four at 600+ weeks. Nine at 500+ weeks. Nine more at 400+ weeks. That's 26 albums.

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack?
No.
Time for some hints. Of the 6 albums remaining, three were released before 2000 and three were released after 2000. Two of the newer albums mostly have songs from before 2000. So there is only one album from the 2000's with all new material.

02 - 777 weeks
04 - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks

Metallica?

02 - 777 weeks
04 - Metallica - Metallica (aka the Black Album) - 706 weeks
05 - 636 weeks
06 - 626 weeks
07 - 619 weeks
08 - 618 weeks
09 - 612 weeks
Bob Marley's Legend?

I remember seeing this list somewhere, and I am pretty sure albums by CCR and Guns N' Roses are both in there. Can't recall which. Would be easy to think Appetite for the latter, but it might have been a compilation album.

Users who are viewing this thread