What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers - link to new 2023 thread in latest post (1 Viewer)

I feel bad for Purdy, who has robbed of his chance to shine on this huge stage.

I hope he's our starter next season, I've seen more than enough from him to believe we can win it all with him at QB.
Not purdy's fault, but I can't help but think the temptation to go for Brady will be really high if he wants to play in SF.
I hope not. I hate Brady and believe in Purdy. A whole offseason as QB1 and I think he has total mastery of this offense. No way Lance beats him if they let them battle in camp IMO.
We don’t know how bad the throwing elbow injury is. He may miss a big chunk of the offseason.

Given that, I’m game if Brady wants to come for not a ton of money as a low risk pickup, but he may finally be washed so I’d hate for them to sacrifice their ability to sign their other key players to roll the dice on Tom.
SF thinks Purdy’s elbow isn’t ruptured, but if it is, he’ll need Tommy John surgery and they may HAVE to bring Brady in (or another viable starter, at least).

I’ll roll the dice on one year of Brady next season, would be legendary.

This game feels rigged to me.

I hope he's our starter next season, I've seen more than enough from him to believe we can win it all with him at QB.
Not purdy's fault, but I can't help but think the temptation to go for Brady will be really high if he wants to play in SF.
I hope not. I hate Brady and believe in Purdy. A whole offseason as QB1 and I think he has total mastery of this offense. No way Lance beats him if they let them battle in camp IMO.

If the 49ers sign Brady I'm out.

**** that all day

IF Purdy is healthy enough to start the season he is QB1. If he is not, keep Lance and give him a shot. I'd rather lose without Tommy than win with him.

Also, I watched today's game with an Eagles fan. One of my best friends. He left my home as the AFC game started. You know what we did? We hugged each other and said, "Love you brother." Life goes on. Internet muscles are stupid.

People can win with class, and lose with class. The internet trolls are not our friends.

Last edited:
I still feel like the Purdy evaluation is incomplete. Because of injury today, we STILL don't know what it looks like when they have to scrap the game plan and he has to sling it all over the place to try and bring them back.

We don’t know how bad the throwing elbow injury is. He may miss a big chunk of the offseason.

Given that, I’m game if Brady wants to come for not a ton of money as a low risk pickup, but he may finally be washed so I’d hate for them to sacrifice their ability to sign their other key players to roll the dice on Tom.
SF thinks Purdy’s elbow isn’t ruptured, but if it is, he’ll need Tommy John surgery and they may HAVE to bring Brady in (or another viable starter, at least).
Yeah. Thought the Brady to SF option was dead, but may happen if Purdy has the rupture.

Still makes me sick to think Mahomes could their QB.

Did CMC actually take snaps at QB? I turned it off before the 4th quarter. Couldn't watch.
Like 2, only one was a pass, and it was a trick play that had a reverse involved.

I was surprised CMC was the emergency QB, as Jauan Jennings was a QB in college before moving to WR.

Did CMC actually take snaps at QB? I turned it off before the 4th quarter. Couldn't watch.
Like 2, only one was a pass, and it was a trick play that had a reverse involved.

I was surprised CMC was the emergency QB, as Jauan Jennings was a QB in college before moving to WR.
It wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome, but yeah, suprised he put Purdy back in when he couldn't throw the ball. Might as well run the wildcat at that point.

Kind of sucks on a personal level for Johnson. He’s probably been dreaming about an opportunity like this for 14 years. He finally gets his chance and he looks like a deer in the headlights, has a crippling turnover, and then gets concussed. Rough day.

Love the Eagles fans who give the 49ers no chance because we have Purdy starting. Seems like they have forgotten that their only Super Bowl win was with Nick Foles at QB. :laugh: Let's hope the Eagles players are similarly dismissive of Mr. Irrelevant and the 49ers.
Check

Good game guys. Only thing I will say is your QB gets knocked out, and 2 plays later, the blocking scheme is to NOT block the guy that knocked your QB out, that only trailed Bosa in sacks this year in the NFL. Our team is THAT scary where we can win games by such high margins and have the QB not have great stats.

Good game guys. Only thing I will say is your QB gets knocked out, and 2 plays later, the blocking scheme is to NOT block the guy that knocked your QB out, that only trailed Bosa in sacks this year in the NFL. Our team is THAT scary where we can win games by such high margins and have the QB not have great stats.
The game was tied 7-7 late in the 2nd without us having a QB for the whole half and receiving the ball in the 3rd. Really that 1st TD shouldn’t have counted either if Shanny had half a brain.

Let’s take Hurts and Minshew off the field and see the margin the other way.

49ers had some bad coaching, bad luck, and bad ref calls. Candidly, felt like the most unlikely day in the history of football for the 49ers. Obviously any Eagles fan will say “it’s because of us” but that’s bull****.

Eagles aren’t scary at all, that’s why this one is so painful.

Why can’t we just fire Shanny and hire Ryans? Offense is so stacked any half wit could make it work.

We’ve wasted 4 years with quite possibly the most talented roster and no Super Bowl Rings to show for it.

And since Shanny clearly doesn’t understand injuries, let me make one thing clear: zero chance CMC can survive another season with this many touches, so we should have a plan B next season.

The game was tied 7-7 late in the 2nd without us having a QB for the whole half and receiving the ball in the 3rd. Really that 1st TD shouldn’t have counted either if Shanny had half a brain.

49ers had some bad coaching, bad luck, and bad ref calls. Candidly, felt like the most unlikely day in the history of football for the 49ers. Obviously any Eagles fan will say “it’s because of us” but that’s bull****.

Hey to each their own.

Some people think having 4 10+ sack guys for the first time is scary. Some people think being the first team to have a Top 3 offense AND defense since 2010 makes the team scary. Some people think having a 2 top 10 WR's a Top 3 Tight End to go along with an MVP leading contender up until he got hurt, is Scary. Even still, more so, some people point out the fact that every team in NFL history that won both the Division Round and Conference Title game by 21+ points are 4-0 undefeated in Super Bowls.

Some people think the guy who got 16.5 sacks this year is not scary at all and can be blocked by a backup tight end!

I admire your lack of fear!

Why can’t we just fire Shanny and hire Ryans? Offense is so stacked any half wit could make it work.

We’ve wasted 4 years with quite possibly the most talented roster and no Super Bowl Rings to show for it.

And since Shanny clearly doesn’t understand injuries, let me make one thing clear: zero chance CMC can survive another season with this many touches, so we should have a plan B next season.
Horrible take

Shanahan has a super bowl appearance and 2 NFC title game appearances in the last 4 years after taking only two years to rebuild the worst roster in football. He's a really good coach. Hard to win a super bowl period and even harder when you have a huge disadvantage at QB. If Lynch had did his job in 2017 and taken either Mahomes or Watson instead of Friggin Solomon Thomas, he would have a title or two.

You have zero clue if Ryans will be a good head coach. I think he will and wish him luck but replacing a successful coach with an unknowm is not the answer. Overreaction if you are serious.

No coach could have beaten a good Eagles team with Josh Johnson at QB, much less no QB at all.

Horrible take

Shanahan has a super bowl appearance and 2 NFC title game appearances in the last 4 years after taking only two years to rebuild the worst roster in football. He's a really good coach. Hard to win a super bowl period and even harder when you have a huge disadvantage at QB. If Lynch had did his job in 2017 and taken either Mahomes or Watson instead of Friggin Solomon Thomas, he would have a title or two.

You have zero clue if Ryans will be a good head coach. I think he will and wish him luck but replacing a successful coach with an unknowm is not the answer. Overreaction if you are serious.

No coach could have beaten a good Eagles team with Josh Johnson at QB, much less no QB at all.
What was the scheme to block Reddick on the play that Purdy got injured? What was the offensive guru looking at?

Oh, here is a guy that is 2nd only to Bosa in sacks... Tyler Croft got this.

Like wtf?

IDK, I just see a team that is stacked and I keep saying it, but eventually, the window closes... We're almost there, Bosa's contract is going to be massive. Hopefully Purdy is the guy and we can stay on the cheap at QB, but my earlier point about CMC still stands as well. He can't survive a full season at 20-25 touches a game (not a dig at him, most players couldn't). We also need another dominant guy on the DL. A big part of our success has been getting to the QB with just 4 rushing... Armstead is getting old, Kinlaw will prob get hurt washing his car in the offseason, Ebukam (while serviceable) wasn't what I had hoped, and none of the guys rotating in are anything special.

Hey to each their own.

Some people think having 4 10+ sack guys for the first time is scary. Some people think being the first team to have a Top 3 offense AND defense since 2010 makes the team scary. Some people think having a 2 top 10 WR's a Top 3 Tight End to go along with an MVP leading contender up until he got hurt, is Scary. Even still, more so, some people point out the fact that every team in NFL history that won both the Division Round and Conference Title game by 21+ points are 4-0 undefeated in Super Bowls.

Some people think the guy who got 16.5 sacks this year is not scary at all and can be blocked by a backup tight end!

I admire your lack of fear!
oof -- playing with jinxes and the odds there --somethings gotta give

Horrible take

What was the scheme to block Reddick on the play that Purdy got injured? What was the offensive guru looking at?

Oh, here is a guy that is 2nd only to Bosa in sacks... Tyler Croft got this.

Like wtf?

IDK, I just see a team that is stacked and I keep saying it, but eventually, the window closes... We're almost there, Bosa's contract is going to be massive. Hopefully Purdy is the guy and we can stay on the cheap at QB, but my earlier point about CMC still stands as well. He can't survive a full season at 20-25 touches a game (not a dig at him, most players couldn't). We also need another dominant guy on the DL. A big part of our success has been getting to the QB with just 4 rushing... Armstead is getting old, Kinlaw will prob get hurt washing his car in the offseason, Ebukam (while serviceable) wasn't what I had hoped, and none of the guys rotating in are anything special.
Armstead just turned 29, so not old for a d-lineman. Kinlaw has been hurt/ineffective, so losing him would be no big deal. Ebukam is a role player who is a FA. They do need another edge rusher. Hopefully Jackson can be that guy, but wouldn't hurt to add another one in FA either. McGlinchey is all but gone which clears up some serious space.

Disagree that the window is closing. Life in the NFL salary cap era is you have to replace players constantly.

As far as Shanahan, not every play works as drawn up. Ball was supposed to be out quicker and Krofts job was to at least get a piece of him and slow him up, which he didn't do. . Sacks happen in the NFL. Can't disect every negative play and blame the play caller.

As an aside, this injury didn't get much play, but losing Ridgeway really hurt, especailly against a team like the Eagles. Good depth

LOL. Purdy don't play defense. Eagles trucked your vaunted run defense for 150/4. Eagles are the best team in the league.

LOL. Purdy don't play defense. Eagles trucked your vaunted run defense for 150/4. Eagles are the best team in the league.
Now, you're just being foolish. Take out Minshaws two kneel downs at the end of the game and the Eagles had 150 yards on 42 carries. They didn't truck anyone

The 4 rushing TDs were based on them having the ball all game because the 49ers had a 4th string QB in and then basically no QB.

They won and that's all that matters so not sure why you can't just be happy your team won and leave the absurd statements out of it.

Now, you're just being foolish. Take out Minshaws two kneel downs at the end of the game and the Eagles had 150 yards on 42 carries. They didn't truck anyone

The 4 rushing TDs were based on them having the ball all game because the 49ers had a 4th string QB in and then basically no QB.

They won and that's all that matters so not sure why you can't just be happy your team won and leave the absurd statements out of it.
Yeah, the Eagles' yards per play was objectively bad.

Purdy out for 6-9 months. At minimum will miss most of the offseason, which would have been key for his development. Lance is still not close to full strength either, and he's someone who also needs every OTA rep. IMO, the Niners need to aggressively pursue a veteran starting QB, unfortunately.

49ers averaged 70 total yards allowed on the ground all year. Eagles ran for double that. They ran for four TDs. There is nothing absurd about it, everyone knew they were going to run and SF was not able to stop it. The only reason SF was in that position was that the Eagles Dline is historically great. Lots of folks said Reddick would be a game wrecker and he was. The only absurd statement was the one to which I responded which was "Eagles aren't scary at all".

49ers averaged 70 total yards allowed on the ground all year. Eagles ran for double that. They ran for four TDs. There is nothing absurd about it, everyone knew they were going to run and SF was not able to stop it. The only reason SF was in that position was that the Eagles Dline is historically great. Lots of folks said Reddick would be a game wrecker and he was. The only absurd statement was the one to which I responded which was "Eagles aren't scary at all".
They averaged 70 yards. If a team runs the ball 42 times, that "average" will go up. You're wrong. The Eagles were able to stop the run because the 49ers had no passing game with Johnson and then without a QB at all. Again you're wrong

Just enjoy the win.

They averaged 70 yards. If a team runs the ball 42 times, that "average" will go up. You're wrong. The Eagles were able to stop the run because the 49ers had no passing game with Johnson and then without a QB at all. Again you're wrong

Just enjoy the win.
oh I'm enjoying the win. But the idea that the Eagles 'aren't scary at all' is maybe the worst take I've heard this season. My point about the Eagles Dline wasn't about stopping the run it was about blowing up the QB-something this not-scary team has done more than any team in the history of the NFL sans 1985 bears. But keep telling yourself that you would have won if only Purdy did not get injured.

Just enjoy the win.
oh I'm enjoying the win. But the idea that the Eagles 'aren't scary at all' is maybe the worst take I've heard this season. My point about the Eagles Dline wasn't about stopping the run it was about blowing up the QB-something this not-scary team has done more than any team in the history of the NFL sans 1985 bears. But keep telling yourself that you would have won if only Purdy did not get injured.
Well, that wasn't me but IMO, no team is "scary" against other playoff caliber teams. Kind of a childish take that they are scary. Eagles are a very good team though and hope they beat KC.

Never said the 49ers absolutely win if Purdy doesn't get hurt. But would have been a close game and they had a good chance, especailly if Shanahan didn't get brain lock on the Smith non-catch. Easy challenge IMO just based on how Smith reacted afterward. Big difference between being down 7-0 and being 0-0 with the ball on the 40. But that's irrelevant now.

They are 2.5 favs to win the Super Bowl
and are rolling teams this year. Saying they aren’t scary at all is a stretch.

Obviously sucks Purdy got hurt but he was going to get hit all day long. Philly pass rush was going off.

Hard to win when your 4th string QB is knocked out of the game.

They had an excellent season though. That's a really good team.
Tough to win a playoff game with your starting QB let alone the 4th QB.

Purdy was a rookie and #3. Philly D had 11 guys inside 10 yards of the line of scrimmage. So there was no threat of any type of big play.

Had Purdy he not been injured who knows what would have happened.

Just enjoy the win.
Well, that wasn't me but IMO, no team is "scary" against other playoff caliber teams. Kind of a childish take that they are scary. Eagles are a very good team though and hope they beat KC.

Never said the 49ers absolutely win if Purdy doesn't get hurt. But would have been a close game and they had a good chance, especailly if Shanahan didn't get brain lock on the Smith non-catch. Easy challenge IMO just based on how Smith reacted afterward. Big difference between being down 7-0 and being 0-0 with the ball on the 40. But that's irrelevant now.
I never said it was you. I responded to the poster that basically said Eagles are mediocre. That was a ridiculous take and continues to be so. I’m not being some insane homer here. I said before your team was probably the best that Sirriani and Hurts have ever faced. I maintain that. It blows that Purdy got hurt, but I really don’t believe the Eagles would have lost if he remained in.

The characterization that the Eagles were “not scary at all” infers that they really aren’t good. That’s all I took issue with.

Lol you sf fans are so protective of your teams thread. The OP has no problem jumping into the birds thread and dropping bs but not allowed here.

I’ll post in any thread I feel like.

Just enjoy the win.

I never said it was you. I responded to the poster that basically said Eagles are mediocre. That was a ridiculous take and continues to be so. I’m not being some insane homer here. I said before your team was probably the best that Sirriani and Hurts have ever faced. I maintain that. It blows that Purdy got hurt, but I really don’t believe the Eagles would have lost if he remained in.

The characterization that the Eagles were “not scary at all” infers that they really aren’t good. That’s all I took issue with.
I don't think the Eagles are particularily scarily, but they are a really good team.

Between this and the Eagles thread it’s pretty easy to dislike both fan bases. You both win.
Key difference between the fan bases:

We stay in here and discuss amongst ourselves. Eagles fans’ are so obnoxious they can’t walk away with the W.
oh yeah not true at all. Wingnut came into our thread guns blazing after the loss.

Users who are viewing this thread