What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Top 155 Songs by American Artists According to 5 Middle-Aged Idiots (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus:

All The Right ReasonsThe Jayhawks

Rainy Day Music (the album on which this song appeared received generally positive reviews from critics. Dirty Linen described the album as "a low-key effort that features delicate harmonies, recalling California relatives such as Poco and the post-Gram Parsons Burrito Brothers". Uncut called the album "all acoustic guitars, rich jangling melodies and heavenly harmonies" and wrote that Gary Louris "has come up with some of his most memorable compositions."

Jeb:

Kick Out the Jams – MC5

"Kick Out the Jams" is a song by MC5, released as a single in March 1969 by Elektra Records. The album of the same name caused some controversy due to Sinclair's inflammatory liner notes and the track's rallying cry of "Kick out the jams, mother****ers!" According to Kramer, the band recorded this as "Kick out the jams, brothers and sisters!" for the single released for radio play; Tyner claimed this was done without group consensus.[3] The edited version also appeared in some LP copies, which also withdrew Sinclair's excitable comments. The album was released in January 1969; reviews were mixed, but the album was relatively successful, quickly selling over 100,000 copies and peaking at #30 on the Billboard album chart in May 1969 during a 23-week stay.

Scooter:

Mr. Tambourine Man – The Byrds

"Mr. Tambourine Man" was the debut single by the American band the Byrds, and was released on April 12, 1965, by Columbia Records. The song was also the title track of the band's debut album, which was released on June 21, 1965. The Byrds' version is abridged and in a different key from Dylan's original.

The single's success initiated the folk rock boom of 1965 and 1966, with a number of American and British acts imitating the band's hybrid of a rock beat, jangly guitar playing, and poetic or socially conscious lyrics. The single was the "first folk rock smash hit", and gave rise to the term "folk rock" in the U.S music press to describe the band's sound.

Doug:

The Tracks Of My Tears – Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

"The Tracks of My Tears" is a song written by Smokey Robinson, Pete Moore, and Marv Tarplin. It is a multiple award-winning 1965 hit R&B song originally recorded by their group, the Miracles, on Motown's Tamla label. The Miracles' million-selling original version has been inducted into The Grammy Hall of Fame, has been ranked by the Recording Industry Association of America and The National Endowment for the Arts at No. 127 in its list of the "Songs of the Century" – the 365 Greatest Songs of the 20th Century, and has been selected by Rolling Stone as No. 50 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", among many other awards.[1] In 2021, Rolling Stone ranked The Miracles' original recording of "The Tracks of My Tears" as "The Greatest Motown Song of All Time."

Chap:

Love Will Keep Us Together – Captain & Tennille

"Love Will Keep Us Together" was the title cut and lead single of Captain & Tennille's debut album, although "Captain" Daryl Dragon originally hoped that honor would go to the duo's rendition of "I Write the Songs". The single rose to number 1 on both the Billboard Easy Listening chart and the Billboard pop chart, staying atop the latter for four weeks starting June 21, 1975. It also hit the top of the 1975 year-end chart. In the US it was the best-selling single of 1975. "Love Will Keep Us Together" was certified gold by the RIAA and also won the Grammy Award (1975) for Record of the Year on February 28, 1976.

Dragon and Tennille acknowledged Sedaka's authorship—as well as his mid-1970s comeback—by working the phrase "Sedaka is back" into the song's fadeout, where the applause from the studio musicians can be heard. Their version would earn Sedaka and Greenfield a Grammy nomination for Song of the Year.
I like all of these songs.

My ranking:

1. "Tracks Of My Tears". This is in my running for the greatest pop recording of all time.

2. "All The Right Reasons". I love, LOVE, the Jayhawks. I have never heard a song from them I didn't adore.

3. "Kick Out The Jams". Everything the "revolutionary" Haight bands were too chickenshit to say/play. Eat your heart out, Jefferson Airplane.

4. "Mr Tambourine Man". Smokes Dylan's original (which isn't hard to do). The harmonies and the Wrecking Crew's playing is about as good as pop music got in '65.

5. "Love Will Keep Us Together". I mean, this is a fine pop recording. It's certainly better than anything Bad Company or Paul Simon was doing in 1975. It's not a bit hip, but the nuts-and-bolts of the record are strong.
tough choice between "Tracks of My Tears" and "Kick Out The Jams" - they are just such completely different songs

#1 love this thread. Just what we all need.
#2 I like ranking the picks because (1) I like ranking things, and (2) Uruk-Hai is my favorite poster, but in no particular order (a) it's unfair to rank songs within a tier since songs are eligible to be chosen more than once, and (b) seriously what's up with this chap guy. So with Kick Out the Jams, for instance, do I say that's an amazing choice or do I say you're a dummy for having it so low.

#2 I like ranking the picks because (1) I like ranking things, and (2) Uruk-Hai is my favorite poster, but in no particular order (a) it's unfair to rank songs within a tier since songs are eligible to be chosen more than once, and (b) seriously what's up with this chap guy. So with Kick Out the Jams, for instance, do I say that's an amazing choice or do I say you're a dummy for having it so low.
I just like when songs are picked by someone, no matter what the order. 🥇🥈🥉

Identifying the best of each lot has been very easy so far. Black and Kick Out The Jams are all timers.

Dr. Octopus:

My Lover’s Prayer – Otis Redding

Redding decided to perform at the nightclub Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip in front of a predominantly white audience, becoming one of the first soul artists to play in the western United States. His performance received critical acclaim by the press, and musician Bob Dylan offered an alternative track of his hit song "Just Like a Woman" to him, but he declined his proposal. After his performance there he went back to the Stax studios to continue recording new songs. This would be his final solo studio album

Jeb:

Louder Than A Bomb – Public Enemy

According to Chuck D, Hank Shocklee made the last call when songs were completed. "Hank would come up with the final mix because he was the sound master... Hank is the Phil Spector of hip-hop. He was way ahead of his time, because he dared to challenge the odds in sound." This was also one of the details which Chuck felt to be unique to the time and recording of the album. "Once hip-hop became corporate, they took the daredevil out of the artistry. But being a daredevil was what Hank brought to the table."

Scooter:

Family Affair – Mary J. Blige

The single topped the Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks starting from November 3, 2001, becoming Blige's first and only Hot 100 number-one single as well as her first top-10 single in five years. It was the 12th-biggest song of the 2000s decade in the US and the 99th-biggest song of all-time in the country as of 2018. Rolling Stone ranked it number 95 on their list of 100 Best Songs of the 2000s decade.

Doug:

Late in the Evening – Paul Simon

His first single release for Warner, "Late in the Evening" was released in July 1980 and became a hit on several charts worldwide. In the U.S., the song hit number six on the Billboard Hot 100. by Rolling Stone as No. 50 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", among many other awards.[1] In 2021, Rolling Stone ranked The Miracles' original recording of "The Tracks of My Tears" as "The Greatest Motown Song of All Time."

Chap:

Escape (The Pina Colada Song)Rupert Holmes

The song speaks, in three verses and three choruses, of a man who is bored with his current relationship because it has become routine and he desires some variety. One day, he reads the personal advertisements in the newspaper and spots an ad that catches his attention: a woman seeking a man who, among other little things, must like piña coladas (hence it being known as "the piña colada song"). Intrigued, he takes out an ad in reply and arranges to meet the woman "at a bar called O'Malley's", only to find upon the meeting that the woman is actually his current partner. The song ends on an upbeat note, showing the two lovers realized they have more in common than they had suspected and that they do not have to look any further than each other for what they seek in a relationship.

Dr. Octopus:

Rainy Day Music (the album on which this song appeared received generally positive reviews from critics. Dirty Linen described the album as "a low-key effort that features delicate harmonies, recalling California relatives such as Poco and the post-Gram Parsons Burrito Brothers". Uncut called the album "all acoustic guitars, rich jangling melodies and heavenly harmonies" and wrote that Gary Louris "has come up with some of his most memorable compositions."

Jeb:

Kick Out the Jams – MC5

"Kick Out the Jams" is a song by MC5, released as a single in March 1969 by Elektra Records. The album of the same name caused some controversy due to Sinclair's inflammatory liner notes and the track's rallying cry of "Kick out the jams, mother****ers!" According to Kramer, the band recorded this as "Kick out the jams, brothers and sisters!" for the single released for radio play; Tyner claimed this was done without group consensus.[3] The edited version also appeared in some LP copies, which also withdrew Sinclair's excitable comments. The album was released in January 1969; reviews were mixed, but the album was relatively successful, quickly selling over 100,000 copies and peaking at #30 on the Billboard album chart in May 1969 during a 23-week stay.

Scooter:

"Mr. Tambourine Man" was the debut single by the American band the Byrds, and was released on April 12, 1965, by Columbia Records. The song was also the title track of the band's debut album, which was released on June 21, 1965. The Byrds' version is abridged and in a different key from Dylan's original.

The single's success initiated the folk rock boom of 1965 and 1966, with a number of American and British acts imitating the band's hybrid of a rock beat, jangly guitar playing, and poetic or socially conscious lyrics. The single was the "first folk rock smash hit", and gave rise to the term "folk rock" in the U.S music press to describe the band's sound.

Doug:

"The Tracks of My Tears" is a song written by Smokey Robinson, Pete Moore, and Marv Tarplin. It is a multiple award-winning 1965 hit R&B song originally recorded by their group, the Miracles, on Motown's Tamla label. The Miracles' million-selling original version has been inducted into The Grammy Hall of Fame, has been ranked by the Recording Industry Association of America and The National Endowment for the Arts at No. 127 in its list of the "Songs of the Century" – the 365 Greatest Songs of the 20th Century, and has been selected by Rolling Stone as No. 50 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", among many other awards.[1] In 2021, Rolling Stone ranked The Miracles' original recording of "The Tracks of My Tears" as "The Greatest Motown Song of All Time."

Chap:

"Love Will Keep Us Together" was the title cut and lead single of Captain & Tennille's debut album, although "Captain" Daryl Dragon originally hoped that honor would go to the duo's rendition of "I Write the Songs". The single rose to number 1 on both the Billboard Easy Listening chart and the Billboard pop chart, staying atop the latter for four weeks starting June 21, 1975. It also hit the top of the 1975 year-end chart. In the US it was the best-selling single of 1975. "Love Will Keep Us Together" was certified gold by the RIAA and also won the Grammy Award (1975) for Record of the Year on February 28, 1976.

Dragon and Tennille acknowledged Sedaka's authorship—as well as his mid-1970s comeback—by working the phrase "Sedaka is back" into the song's fadeout, where the applause from the studio musicians can be heard. Their version would earn Sedaka and Greenfield a Grammy nomination for Song of the Year.

My 5. "Love Will Keep Us Together". I mean, this is a fine pop recording. It's certainly better than anything Bad Company or Paul Simon was doing in 1975. It's not a bit hip, but the nuts-and-bolts of the record are strong.

Wait, what? First, that song is garbage, IMO (although I hate C&T) but even if it’s decent, Simon released Still Crazy After All These Years in 1975.

Dr. Octopus:

Jeb:

Kick Out the Jams – MC5

Scooter:

Doug:

Chap:

My 5. "Love Will Keep Us Together". I mean, this is a fine pop recording. It's certainly better than anything Bad Company or Paul Simon was doing in 1975. It's not a bit hip, but the nuts-and-bolts of the record are strong.

Wait, what? First, that song is garbage, IMO (although I hate C&T) but even if it’s decent, Simon released Still Crazy After All These Years in 1975.
I'm well aware

Dr. Octopus:

Jeb:

Kick Out the Jams – MC5

Scooter:

Doug:

Chap:

I'm well aware

:shock:

Dr. Octopus:

My Lover’s Prayer – Otis Redding

Redding decided to perform at the nightclub Whisky a Go Go on the Sunset Strip in front of a predominantly white audience, becoming one of the first soul artists to play in the western United States. His performance received critical acclaim by the press, and musician Bob Dylan offered an alternative track of his hit song "Just Like a Woman" to him, but he declined his proposal. After his performance there he went back to the Stax studios to continue recording new songs. This would be his final solo studio album

Jeb:

Louder Than A Bomb – Public Enemy

According to Chuck D, Hank Shocklee made the last call when songs were completed. "Hank would come up with the final mix because he was the sound master... Hank is the Phil Spector of hip-hop. He was way ahead of his time, because he dared to challenge the odds in sound." This was also one of the details which Chuck felt to be unique to the time and recording of the album. "Once hip-hop became corporate, they took the daredevil out of the artistry. But being a daredevil was what Hank brought to the table."

Scooter:

Family Affair – Mary J. Blige

The single topped the Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks starting from November 3, 2001, becoming Blige's first and only Hot 100 number-one single as well as her first top-10 single in five years. It was the 12th-biggest song of the 2000s decade in the US and the 99th-biggest song of all-time in the country as of 2018. Rolling Stone ranked it number 95 on their list of 100 Best Songs of the 2000s decade.

Doug:

Late in the Evening – Paul Simon

His first single release for Warner, "Late in the Evening" was released in July 1980 and became a hit on several charts worldwide. In the U.S., the song hit number six on the Billboard Hot 100. by Rolling Stone as No. 50 on its list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time", among many other awards.[1] In 2021, Rolling Stone ranked The Miracles' original recording of "The Tracks of My Tears" as "The Greatest Motown Song of All Time."

Chap:

Escape (The Pina Colada Song)Rupert Holmes

The song speaks, in three verses and three choruses, of a man who is bored with his current relationship because it has become routine and he desires some variety. One day, he reads the personal advertisements in the newspaper and spots an ad that catches his attention: a woman seeking a man who, among other little things, must like piña coladas (hence it being known as "the piña colada song"). Intrigued, he takes out an ad in reply and arranges to meet the woman "at a bar called O'Malley's", only to find upon the meeting that the woman is actually his current partner. The song ends on an upbeat note, showing the two lovers realized they have more in common than they had suspected and that they do not have to look any further than each other for what they seek in a relationship.
I'd rank these in the order listed, though I could easily flip the last two.

1. Otis is Otis and will win most any list of records I rate.
2. Hip Hop kind of lost me in the late 80s, but these guys are rightly considered legends and this is one of my favorites.
3. Depending on the song, I can take or leave Mary J Blige. I'm a taker on this one
4. Good for insomnia. An inferior rewrite of stuff he did better earlier in his career.
5. I love wallowing in trash-pop, but this one is sometimes a bridge too far even for me. It's just too clunky or something.

Oh, I know. I did actually understand that rule (unlike everything else, which I misread). I'm just treating this as someone throwing out 5 records in a vacuum, and I'll make stupid comments while ranking them. If we get repeats, I'm just going to rank them against the other 4 songs in their bucket. I may re-rank the whole list once it's done.

Oh, I know. I did actually understand that rule (unlike everything else, which I misread). I'm just treating this as someone throwing out 5 records in a vacuum, and I'll make stupid comments while ranking them. If we get repeats, I'm just going to rank them against the other 4 songs in their bucket. I may re-rank the whole list once it's done.

Wasn't meant as an indication you shouldn't be ranking; it's my favorite part of the thread. Just musing to myself but typing it out for reasons unknown.

Okay, so it's Otis Redding, but if the list is missing "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" then I'll gently remind you, Dr. Octopus, that he did indeed sing that.

(Also, I just got that record in glorious mono on vinyl, so there's that).

Okay, so it's Otis Redding, but if the list is missing "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" then I'll gently remind you, Dr. Octopus, that he did indeed sing that.

(Also, I just got that record in glorious mono on vinyl, so there's that).
Great song, you probably already know the trivia about the whistling at the end.

Great song, you probably already know the trivia about the whistling at the end.

I do not. Despite the love for Otis from bands that introduced me to him and Uruk and krista's knowledge of him, I've never been aware of that particular trivia. I'm really not an Otis aficionado. It took Uruk to tell me about his Monterey performance and how good it was ('67?).

I do not. Despite the love for Otis from bands that introduced me to him and Uruk and krista's knowledge of him, I've never been aware of that particular trivia. I'm really not an Otis aficionado. It took Uruk to tell me about his Monterey performance and how good it was ('67?).
the story goes that Redding lacked a final verse so he put in the whistling as a sort of place holder. Plan was to come back later to finish up but the tragic accident happened soon after the recording.

Last edited:

Dr. Octopus:

Dreaming - Blondie

Since its release, "Dreaming" has seen critical acclaim from music writers. Stewart Mason of AllMusic praised Stein's guitarwork and Burke's drumming on the song, writing of the latter, "It's an amazing performance, possibly the most over-the-top effort by a rock & roll drummer in the entire 1970s, and a must to hear.”

Jeb:

Runnin’ with the Devil – Van Halen

"Runnin' with the Devil" is a song by the American hard rock band Van Halen. Released as the second single from the band's 1978 eponymous debut album. The song lyrics were inspired by the funk band Ohio Players 1974 song "Runnin' from the Devil". In 2009, "Runnin' with the Devil" was named the 9th greatest hard rock song of all time by VH1. Chuck Klosterman of Vulture ranked it the eighth-best Van Halen song, praising the staccato bass playing as well as David Lee Roth's vocal performance.

Scooter:

Lean on Me – Bill Withers

Bill Withers' childhood in the coal mining town of Slab Fork, West Virginia, was the inspiration for "Lean on Me", which he wrote after he had moved to Los Angeles and found himself missing the strong community ethic of his hometown. He had lived in a decrepit house in the poor section of his town.

Doug:

She’s Gone Hall & Oates

Daryl Hall, according to some reports, has called it the best song he and John Oates wrote together. Both performers were undergoing romantic problems at the time the song was written. A 1985 article in Rolling Stone said the song was about Hall's divorce from wife Bryna Lublin, while VH1's Behind the Music episode on the duo showed Oates explaining it was about a girlfriend that stood him up on New Year's Eve.

Chap:

Brick House - Commodores

Lionel Richie stated that the song's title is a play on the expression "built like a brick ****house," referring to a strongly built woman.

Last edited:

Dr. Octopus:

Dreaming - Blondie

Since its release, "Dreaming" has seen critical acclaim from music writers. Stewart Mason of AllMusic praised Stein's guitarwork and Burke's drumming on the song, writing of the latter, "It's an amazing performance, possibly the most over-the-top effort by a rock & roll drummer in the entire 1970s, and a must to hear.”

Jeb:

Runnin’ with the Devil – Van Halen

"Runnin' with the Devil" is a song by the American hard rock band Van Halen. Released as the second single from the band's 1978 eponymous debut album. The song lyrics were inspired by the funk band Ohio Players 1974 song "Runnin' from the Devil". In 2009, "Runnin' with the Devil" was named the 9th greatest hard rock song of all time by VH1. Chuck Klosterman of Vulture ranked it the eighth-best Van Halen song, praising the staccato bass playing as well as David Lee Roth's vocal performance.

Scooter:

Lean on Me – Bill Withers

Bill Withers' childhood in the coal mining town of Slab Fork, West Virginia, was the inspiration for "Lean on Me", which he wrote after he had moved to Los Angeles and found himself missing the strong community ethic of his hometown. He had lived in a decrepit house in the poor section of his town.

Doug:

She’s Gone – Hall & Oates

Daryl Hall, according to some reports, has called it the best song he and John Oates wrote together. Both performers were undergoing romantic problems at the time the song was written. A 1985 article in Rolling Stone said the song was about Hall's divorce from wife Bryna Lublin, while VH1's Behind the Music episode on the duo showed Oates explaining it was about a girlfriend that stood him up on New Year's Eve.

Chap:

Brick House - Commodores

Lionel Richie stated that the song's title is a play on the expression "built like a brick ****house," referring to a strongly built woman.
Y'all are killing me on this one. These are all wheelhouse songs for me. There will be very little snark from me about the records in this rack.

1. :She's Gone". Gorgeous Philly soul and full of hooks. I think most of the music nerds here would rank this as H&O's best of their hits and I'd agree.

2. "Lean On Me". One of Jann Wenner's many (many) crimes against humanity when developing what became orthodox rock history is that he and his goons didn't include Withers as a 70s singer-songwriter in ANY of their works. Withers wrote his own songs, played guitar, and played in that sort of easy-70s vibe. Yet, nary a mention. Wonder why? Of course, Jim Croce didn't get a word either. Anyway, "Lean On Me" is a timeless record - one of the best of the decade (or any decade, really). Great message, fun time changes, and well-performed.

3. 'Brick House". It's possible that, of the 5 songs here, that this is the dumbest (it's a race to the tape with "....Devil"). Remember what I said above about "Lean On Me"'s great message? This isn't that. It's basically a 4 minute slobber about a hot chick. BUT, this record was a massive hit during The Summer Of Uruk in 1977 - you couldn't run from it, couldn't hide from it. The drum and bass intro makes the record; the rest is gravy. Also, many think Richie was the lead vocal on this - it was the drummer, Walter Orange. The Commodores were my favorite band during this period and I will forgive them all transgressions. "Make an old man wish for younger days" indeed.

4. "Dreaming". This is only #4 because of the competition. It would probably be #1 or #2 in many groups. The performance and atmosphere is fantastic. Blondie may have made better records, but I'm having a hard time thinking of one right now.

5. "Runnin' With The Devil". This thing hit rock radio like a nuclear bomb in 1978. At the time - though it didn't know it yet - AOR was a rotting carcass. Sure, we had bands like Boston/Foreigner/Kansas/etc....but it all seemed kind of sterile. Van Halen was a lot of things (& not a lot of other things), but sterile wasn't one of them. My biggest problem with this song is it's too slow. Anyway, a large chunk of '80s rock starts right here.

All winners today. Normally I’d give it to Withers by default, but Lean on Me is actually my least favorite of his big hits.

My #1 for Hall and Oates, Van Halen and the Commodores are here. And the Blondie song is up there for me too.

I’ll side with Uruk and go for She’s Gone, which I took in the This Is Their Best Song draft.

Love this thread .Good round , very diverse, as the kids say nowadays
Anyway for my money
1- She’s Gone- Fantastic song
2- Dreaming- Prefer 3 or 4 off Parallel Lines over this but still good
3-Runnin' With The Devil- hated Van Halen back in the olden day , now I like Roth Van Halen
4-Lean on Me
5-Brick House-I like the commodores but this is just meh for me. Chap is a chump here

Great round. Not enough about Blondie though, so I'm checking in for Doc Oc's pick of Dreaming. I think that it's such a good song Billie Joe Armstrong's tour retrospective video with Green Day as arena stars with arena fans couldn't even ruin it. Just a great, upbeat, wonderful track. Off of Eat To The Beat, IIRC.

Maybe my favorite Blondie song, too.

All winners today. Normally I’d give it to Withers by default, but Lean on Me is actually my least favorite of his big hits.

My #1 for Hall and Oates, Van Halen and the Commodores are here. And the Blondie song is up there for me too.

I’ll side with Uruk and go for She’s Gone, which I took in the This Is Their Best Song draft.

I sign on to all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread