What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter and Elon Musk (1 Viewer)

If you ran Twitter, what would you do?

• Total voters
I don't believe you.  I think your concern for this particular issue is driven entirely by an irrational animus toward Elon Musk personally.
Fair.

I think I can think Elon is a ######## and not like people who use their position to have sex with subordinates.  Overlapping circles in my ethical Venn diagram. 

Nugget said:
Do you think employers should be having sex with their subordinates?

Do we still think the Space X allegations are false?

I didn't realize this was one of his companies.  Certainly not a good look to be having affairs with people at companies you control.  If he's broken a law, prosecute him or sue him civilly.  That still doesn't tell me which of his "causes" he's hurting.  Those are your words.  This doesn't hurt Tesla or SpaceX, or any of his other ventures as far as I can tell.  He's never put himself out there as a role model so no "cause" there to hurt.  All this tells me is that, like most of us, he has flaws.  He's human.  That's good to know actually. 

I didn't realize this was one of his companies.  Certainly not a good look to be having affairs with people at companies you control.  If he's broken a law, prosecute him or sue him civilly.  That still doesn't tell me which of his "causes" he's hurting.  Those are your words.  This doesn't hurt Tesla or SpaceX, or any of his other ventures as far as I can tell.  He's never put himself out there as a role model so no "cause" there to hurt.  All this tells me is that, like most of us, he has flaws.  He's human.  That's good to know actually. 
FYI - There were several articles along the lines of this one over the weekend quoting Lori Garver who is peddling a book from her time at NASA.  

From WaPo:

Elon Musk’s deal to buy Twitter is in serious jeopardy, three people familiar with the matter say, as Musk’s camp concluded that Twitter’s figures on spam accounts are not verifiable.
Musk’s team has stopped engaging in certain discussions around funding for the $44 billion deal, including with a party named as a likely backer, one of the people said. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the ongoing discussions.
Talks with investors have cooled in recent weeks as Musk’s camp has raised doubts about the recent data “fire hose” — a trove of data sold to corporate customers — they received from Twitter. Musk’s team’s doubts about the spam figures signal they believe they do not have enough information to evaluate Twitter’s prospects as a business, the people said.

From WaPo:

Elon Musk’s deal to buy Twitter is in serious jeopardy, three people familiar with the matter say, as Musk’s camp concluded that Twitter’s figures on spam accounts are not verifiable.
Musk’s team has stopped engaging in certain discussions around funding for the $44 billion deal, including with a party named as a likely backer, one of the people said. The people spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the ongoing discussions.
Talks with investors have cooled in recent weeks as Musk’s camp has raised doubts about the recent data “fire hose” — a trove of data sold to corporate customers — they received from Twitter. Musk’s team’s doubts about the spam figures signal they believe they do not have enough information to evaluate Twitter’s prospects as a business, the people said.

I expect this goes without saying for anyone paying attention, but obviously it doesn't matter if Musk's team "believe they do not have enough information to evaluate Twitter’s prospects as a business."  That ship sailed long ago.

I'm a little disappointed. I was curious to see how Twitter by Musk was going to turn out. 

The same as every twitter clone that people have flocked to when trying to get away from Twitter.  It was going to be a free beacon of posting for all of about 30 minutes before they realized "wait, people are awful, we have to moderate this or it's going to turn into a steaming cesspool that no one will visit", and then it'd end up even more restrictive than original twitter in the end.

The same as every twitter clone that people have flocked to when trying to get away from Twitter.  It was going to be a free beacon of posting for all of about 30 minutes before they realized "wait, people are awful, we have to moderate this or it's going to turn into a steaming cesspool that no one will visit", and then it'd end up even more restrictive than original twitter in the end.
Probably. I wouldn't bet against Musk, but I think he probably realized he bit off a bit more than he can chew here. I think it's a lot harder to solve the issues of human nature in a pseudo anonymous de facto town square than it is to send people to Mars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love to see Twitter force the deal, and the next day Jack Dorsey announces he is starting a new social media site, Fritter
"Elongate" IMO

It's like Twitter except allows you to ramble incoherently for as LONG as you like.  No character limits.

Has the purchase agreement been made public?  I’d be interested to take a look. In my experience, Delaware Courts generally enforce contracts in accordance with their terms and are less concerned about public policy considerations or issues of fairness. 

I don't know.  At least some parts of it I think must have been because @krista4 posted her analysis of it earlier in this thread.  I believe she touched on what it would take for him to walk away.  I'm too lazy to go back and look for her posts from back then.   This could get interesting though.

:popcorn:

Rumor has it you're an alias of the Frank Costanza's Son account.
Was there someone who used that name in the past? I can 100% guarantee that I only joined a few months ago, and this is my only account. Picked this name because I think George Costanza is the greatest character in TV history… no other reason.

Test me if you’d like. I’m game.

I don't know.  At least some parts of it I think must have been because @krista4 posted her analysis of it earlier in this thread.  I believe she touched on what it would take for him to walk away.  I'm too lazy to go back and look for her posts from back then.   This could get interesting though.

:popcorn:
Oh this is right up @krista4’s alley. I’ll look for her post. Thanks. 

Due diligence outs would come at the LOI stage, not after a definitive agreement is signed.  So at this point, since there's a merger agreement in place, his due diligence is over for these purposes.  What he has, as you mentioned, is a MAC out.  But the standard for getting out of a deal for a MAC is extremely high and is almost never granted by a court.  I took a look at the language in this agreement, and it's standard stuff except that the exceptions to the MAC out are a bit broader than usual (i.e., they favor Twitter).  No facts have changed with respect to the bots since the day the deal was signed, and in my opinion there is zero chance that Musk could get out of this transaction by claiming a MAC on this basis.

A different way he could go about it is that he could claim that Twitter's SEC filings are misleading, given that the merger agreement contains the standard 10b-5 representation regarding their filings.  Since it's a closing condition that the reps be true at closing, he could say that this is a breach of the rep.  But claiming that the company you want to buy has filed misleading documents with the SEC is...well, not ideal for obvious reasons.  

By the way, although there is a break fee and a reverse break fee in the agreement, there's also a specific performance provision that would in essence force Musk to do the deal or at least pay for it.  A court enforcing a specific performance provision and forcing a deal through is even more unheard of than a party getting the benefit of a MAC condition, but it has happened.  So it's not a given that he can just pay the reverse break fee and walk away.

I was wondering why there wasn't something in the agreement preventing Musk from all these public statements, and of course I found that in fact there is a typical confidentiality clause that prevents either party from making public statements without the other party's consent.  He's just breaching that provision left and right.  :lol:

All of the above is meant to say that Musk doesn't seem to have a legal leg to stand on given the agreement.  Twitter was represented by Simpson Thacher, a top firm for transactions, and they did their job well, as would be expected.  That doesn't mean that practically Musk doesn't have any leverage to re-negotiate, though.  This chaos is undoubtedly having an effect on their business, and while Twitter would win in the long run, I don't know if they have the stomach for a protracted legal battle with Musk on this.  On the other hand, even if Twitter re-negotiates, that doesn't mean it would be smooth sailing for them since Musk could continue to wreak havoc.
Found it!  Fascinating stuff. 

Due diligence outs would come at the LOI stage, not after a definitive agreement is signed.  So at this point, since there's a merger agreement in place, his due diligence is over for these purposes.  What he has, as you mentioned, is a MAC out.  But the standard for getting out of a deal for a MAC is extremely high and is almost never granted by a court.  I took a look at the language in this agreement, and it's standard stuff except that the exceptions to the MAC out are a bit broader than usual (i.e., they favor Twitter).  No facts have changed with respect to the bots since the day the deal was signed, and in my opinion there is zero chance that Musk could get out of this transaction by claiming a MAC on this basis.

A different way he could go about it is that he could claim that Twitter's SEC filings are misleading, given that the merger agreement contains the standard 10b-5 representation regarding their filings.  Since it's a closing condition that the reps be true at closing, he could say that this is a breach of the rep.  But claiming that the company you want to buy has filed misleading documents with the SEC is...well, not ideal for obvious reasons.  

By the way, although there is a break fee and a reverse break fee in the agreement, there's also a specific performance provision that would in essence force Musk to do the deal or at least pay for it.  A court enforcing a specific performance provision and forcing a deal through is even more unheard of than a party getting the benefit of a MAC condition, but it has happened.  So it's not a given that he can just pay the reverse break fee and walk away.

I was wondering why there wasn't something in the agreement preventing Musk from all these public statements, and of course I found that in fact there is a typical confidentiality clause that prevents either party from making public statements without the other party's consent.  He's just breaching that provision left and right.  :lol:

All of the above is meant to say that Musk doesn't seem to have a legal leg to stand on given the agreement.  Twitter was represented by Simpson Thacher, a top firm for transactions, and they did their job well, as would be expected.  That doesn't mean that practically Musk doesn't have any leverage to re-negotiate, though.  This chaos is undoubtedly having an effect on their business, and while Twitter would win in the long run, I don't know if they have the stomach for a protracted legal battle with Musk on this.  On the other hand, even if Twitter re-negotiates, that doesn't mean it would be smooth sailing for them since Musk could continue to wreak havoc.
Found it.

Was there someone who used that name in the past? I can 100% guarantee that I only joined a few months ago, and this is my only account. Picked this name because I think George Costanza is the greatest character in TV history… no other reason.

Test me if you’d like. I’m game.
What is your code for your ATM card? (I should probably specify I am talking about the character, I am not trying to dox you)

This is true, if you don't give up a billion dollars, and then get dragged to court, you clearly do NOT know how to negotiate.

Dang he's brilliant

A friend asked me about the story and I told him that as smart as Musk is he just blew a billion dollars, going to spend a lot of time in court.   

**********Our View**********

We're downgrading Musk to a what the heck starting status. He still has flashes of greatness but his glory days may be behind him. 

He definitely doesn't want to buy Twitter, IMO. The question is how much he'll have to pay to get out of it.

Somewhere between a billion and ... a lot more than that.

Definitely but fully expect "Musk wanted to buy Twitter but the Deep State wouldn't let him because he was going to reveal the truth! They even made him pay a billion dollars to silence him!".   

Has the purchase agreement been made public?  I’d be interested to take a look. In my experience, Delaware Courts generally enforce contracts in accordance with their terms and are less concerned about public policy considerations or issues of fairness. 
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000119312522120474/d310843ddefa14a.htm

His termination letter references section 6.4 “access to information” clause and the 10b-5 claim @krista4 wrote about back in May. You can see that section gives twitter broad discretion. It’s a really hard claim, but it’s also hard to get a Delaware court to enforce a specific performance clause. It will be interesting. I would think a lawsuit will be filed by one of them on Monday and it will be an expedited proceeding. 

Here’s the termination notice.  https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000110465922078413/tm2220599d1_ex99-p.htm

Users who are viewing this thread