What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (2 Viewers)

So the blurbs about him being added to the Covid list appear to contain two points and then an extrapolation that I don’t know if necessarily follows, so I’d love clarification if someone understands better:

1. we don’t know if he has a positive test or it’s a “close contact” thing

2. he would need to be asymptomatic and have two negative tests at least 24 hours apart to return

3. Two negative tests is deemed unlikely (by the blurb writers) given the timeline

I assume if it’s close contact, and not a positive test, they’d test him around right when they find out about it and add him to the list, right? So if that was negative a second test 24 hours away could be as soon as tomorrow, right? Or is there a waiting period from close contact to that first test? The commentary seems to think this means he’s doubtful but my read on the first two facts would be more “we have no idea either way yet” than jumping to the third point without anything in between (but again I may be missing something?).
https://mobile.twitter.com/DougKyed/status/1448750894586212357

tested positive

fired up x2

(one league I’m missing CEH & Kamara on a bye; in another I might Flex him over Cooks or Sutton)

Underwhelming pedigree and I haven’t seen him play. Besides the obvious opportunity (which means a lot), anything to see here? They haven’t been utilizing him in the passing game, right?
I think he’s got pass catching skill. He’s got ideal size and is a solid athlete. He could be decent. 

Is he a hold or are people dropping for other flyers? Kinda nervous Herbert is going to look way better and keep the job until Mont is back.

Is he a hold or are people dropping for other flyers? Kinda nervous Herbert is going to look way better and keep the job until Mont is back.
Anything could happen, but Williams is a much more proven commodity, so I still think the most likely scenario is he gets the job back next week

why is yahoo telling me he has the bubonic plague

edit - ok, he may have tested positive for said bubonic plague, it would be nice to have got an e-mither about it in case i really wanted to start miles sanders in an hour

Last edited by a moderator:
why is yahoo telling me he has the bubonic plague

edit - ok, he may have tested positive for said bubonic plague, it would be nice to have got an e-mither about it in case i really wanted to start miles sanders in an hour
You WANTED to? Why on earth would you do that? He's been awful all year except for week 1.

Damien Williams (COVID) did not practice on Thursday. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the earliest that Williams could be cleared is on Saturday because he is unvaccinated. In other words, it's looking quite likely for Khalil Herbert to draw another start. Unfortunately for Herbert, Vita Vea is no joke. Herbert drew just three targets on Sunday against the Packers, but was the only Bears running back targeted. He'll be an RB3/FLEX dart throw if Williams can't clear in time. 

RELATED: 

Khalil Herbert

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 21, 2021, 4:58 PM ET

Posted this in the NFL Covid thread, but Williams' decisions over the past year are truly inscrutable. First he opts out last year because his mom had Stage IV cancer; it's admirable that he was willing to put his family first, but the decision cost him his roster spot with the Chiefs. So then he signs a one-year deal with the Bears as the backup behind Montgomery, and when Montgomery goes on IR, he has a chance to shine and maybe secure bigger money next year ... except then he gets Covid. And now he may miss a second straight game because he's unvaccinated, and even if he doesn't, there's a good chance Khalil Herbert may have passed him on the depth chart anyway. 

Also, as far as I can tell his mother is still alive (and therefore still immunocompromised), so by not getting vaxxed he may have put her at risk, too. 

ETA: Oh yeah, he also may be Patient Zero for an outbreak on the Bears

Posted this in the NFL Covid thread, but Williams' decisions over the past year are truly inscrutable. First he opts out last year because his mom had Stage IV cancer; it's admirable that he was willing to put his family first, but the decision cost him his roster spot with the Chiefs. So then he signs a one-year deal with the Bears as the backup behind Montgomery, and when Montgomery goes on IR, he has a chance to shine and maybe secure bigger money next year ... except then he gets Covid. And now he may miss a second straight game because he's unvaccinated, and even if he doesn't, there's a good chance Khalil Herbert may have passed him on the depth chart anyway. 

Also, as far as I can tell his mother is still alive (and therefore still immunocompromised), so by not getting vaxxed he may have put her at risk, too. 

ETA: Oh yeah, he also may be Patient Zero for an outbreak on the Bears
Simply moronic

To opt out and then not get vaccinated is insanity. He cost himself a huge role on a Super Bowl contender, a big role when given the chance as a backup, and may have lost his job altogether. 

Simply moronic

To opt out and then not get vaccinated is insanity. He cost himself a huge role on a Super Bowl contender, a big role when given the chance as a backup, and may have lost his job altogether. 
Right, he basically went from being the starting RB for a SB winner -- and arguably the second-best player on the field in that Super Bowl -- to third-string on an also-ran, entirely because of two decisions he made over the course of the past year. I think the initial opt-out decision was defensible, especially since he presumably made it with eyes open, and maybe his career would have tanked regardless -- every RB is basically always half a step away from the unemployment line. Still, the fall from grace is kind of amazing

Right, he basically went from being the starting RB for a SB winner -- and arguably the second-best player on the field in that Super Bowl -- to third-string on an also-ran, entirely because of two decisions he made over the course of the past year. I think the initial opt-out decision was defensible, especially since he presumably made it with eyes open, and maybe his career would have tanked regardless -- every RB is basically always half a step away from the unemployment line. Still, the fall from grace is kind of amazing
Don't bury the guy just yet. Non-vaccination drives me nuts, but I wouldn't shovel dirt on him. He's still got life in there. 

But you're right. The NFL is fickle and any voluntary leaves are viewed with suspicion. Controllable things (like vaccinations) that cause one to miss time are viewed with even more skepticism from the coaches and front offices than normal and any player that steps up and is willing to follow protocol (provided they flash like Herbert) will step to the front of the line.

Don't bury the guy just yet. Non-vaccination drives me nuts, but I wouldn't shovel dirt on him. He's still got life in there. 

But you're right. The NFL is fickle and any voluntary leaves are viewed with suspicion. Controllable things (like vaccinations) that cause one to miss time are viewed with even more skepticism from the coaches and front offices than normal and any player that steps up and is willing to follow protocol (provided they flash like Herbert) will step to the front of the line.
I thought about that. But how many cases are there of RBs being left for dead and then coming back? I'm sure it's happened, just can't think of any right now.

But the more important point is, as an NFL RB you only get so many bites at the apple. Williams has now wasted two of them.

[OK, just thought of Ricky Williams. But that kind of proves my point. He was uber-talented, so the Dolphins were willing to give him another shot. Williams just isn't at that level.]

Is he droppable?  With Herbert looking good and Montgomery probably coming back in a few weeks I am looking for someone to drop for a WR to fill for bye week issues.

I thought about that. But how many cases are there of RBs being left for dead and then coming back? I'm sure it's happened, just can't think of any right now.

But the more important point is, as an NFL RB you only get so many bites at the apple. Williams has now wasted two of them.

[OK, just thought of Ricky Williams. But that kind of proves my point. He was uber-talented, so the Dolphins were willing to give him another shot. Williams just isn't at that level.]
Yeah, I just meant this year. He'll get some run with Chicago when he comes back and Montgomery is healthy. Their skill sets complement each other. Herbert and Montgomery are more similar, and I expect Herbert's work to decrease in a huge way when Montgomery gets back, with Williams being the third-down/passing specialty back.

But I think I know what you're saying.

Is he droppable?  With Herbert looking good and Montgomery probably coming back in a few weeks I am looking for someone to drop for a WR to fill for bye week issues.
I personally wouldn't. You have one beat reporter from the Athletic speculating. For all you know, Williams could be activated Saturday and starting Sunday.

I personally wouldn't. You have one beat reporter from the Athletic speculating. For all you know, Williams could be activated Saturday and starting Sunday.
I dropped him after watching Herbert go off last week.  My assumption is it is a split backfield at a minimum and Montgomery is back after the bye.

I think he is actually a good bet as a flex w/ upside as lowend RB2 this week.

I think TB being the heavy favorite makes the gamescript predictive. 

I see TB as having a good run stopping front and that seems to be Herbert's role and the Bears will most likely need to throw to get back into the game. This matchup seems to favor the hurry up offense for the Bears and I think Damian Williams is the benefactor. The tempering expectations w/ him being w/o practice for 2 weeks is prolly overblown. He's a vet and this Bears O is the same system/playbook that he is already familiar with.

I think he is actually a good bet as a flex w/ upside as lowend RB2 this week.

I think TB being the heavy favorite makes the gamescript predictive. 

I see TB as having a good run stopping front and that seems to be Herbert's role and the Bears will most likely need to throw to get back into the game. This matchup seems to favor the hurry up offense for the Bears and I think Damian Williams is the benefactor. The tempering expectations w/ him being w/o practice for 2 weeks is prolly overblown. He's a vet and this Bears O is the same system/playbook that he is already familiar with.
I have both him and Herbert. There’s no way in hell I’m playing this guy coming off of covid with no practice. If I take a 0 with Herbert that’s just the way it goes. This hobby sucks. 

I’m glad he’s doing better. I hope he can take advantage of this opportunity. But Damien, please get vaccinated as soon as possible, if not for your own career, if not got the good of the team, then at least for your mom

I’m glad he’s doing better. I hope he can take advantage of this opportunity. But Damien, please get vaccinated as soon as possible, if not for your own career, if not got the good of the team, then at least for your mom
He now has better antibodies than the vax can give him.  

He know has better antibodies than the vax can give him.  
Data is unclear. But what everyone seems to agree is that if you've been infected and then get vaxxed, that offers the best possible protection. If your own mother's health were at stake, wouldn't you take every reasonable step you could to protect her?

And by the way, this isn't a theoretical discussion for me. My mother-in-law is immunocompromised, in addition to being a Covid widow, and you better believe that her situation has been a major factor in all our decisions over the past year and a half.

He just got over covid. Stop being ridiculous 
To clarify, I meant "as soon as is recommended", not that he should run out and do it tomorrow.

Anyway, don't want to sidetrack the thread any further. I wish Williams and his family the best.

I don't think I can start him when he didn't get to practice, they may prefer Herbert anyway, they're playing the Bucs, and he may not feel super right now. And Nagy is still the coach.

But I probably have to anyway. Herbert too.

Damien Williams (knee) did not practice on Thursday.

This is the first update we have for the Bears for the week because they're playing on Monday Night Football. Williams left Sunday's game with the knee injury. You can drop Williams in any short-bench formats with the news that David Montgomery's return window has started and Khalil Herbert continuing to look good. 

Nov 4, 2021, 4:57 PM ET

Damien Williams (knee) is doubtful for Week 11 against the Ravens.

Williams got in a pair of full practices to close the week so his downgrade to doubtful is a bit surprising. He was out-touched by Khalil Herbert in their time playing without David Montgomery so his role with the starter back was likely to be limited anyway. Now the backup duties will fall squarely on Herbert's shoulders.

Nov 20, 2021, 7:08 PM ET

Falcons signed RB Damien Williams, formerly of the Bears, to a one-year contract. 

29-year-old Williams probably instantly slots in as the Falcons' "No. 1 back" ahead of holdovers Mike Davis and Qadree Ollison, though that will be only temporary. Cordarrelle Patterson's market has been dead silent, but it is possible if not probable he ultimately re-signs. Heading into his age-30 campaign, Williams would ideally slot in as the 1B or 1C back in a multi-man committee. The 2020 COVID opt-out handled the ball 56 replacement-level times for the Bears in 2021. There is no longer any reason to keep him around in Dynasty leagues. That could change depending on what the Falcons do or don't do in their backfield. They have so many needs that running back could end up neglected. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2022, 6:11 PM ET

He was pretty much out of the picture in Chicago behind Montgomery and Herbert, so not sure he offers much of a threat at this stage.
All true but Mike Davis is not exactly a big bar to cross and and it's not like any of us were high on C-Pat last year at this time.

While I agree with the 2nd part of your sentence, I wouldn't be so sure about the first part.
Maybe not. Davis has certainly shown more lately.

Williams had a nice playoff run 3 years ago on a Super Bowl team, but between opting out, and immediately losing the #2 job in Chicago to a day 3 rookie(albiet one who I thought was a day 2 talent) he hasn't shown much lately. 

Davis, while certainly nothing special, was pretty solid in 2020 filling in for CMC. Ultimately this is hopefully the #2 and #3 RBs.

ETA: With so many decent RBs in FA, I don't know why they aren't aiming higher. Maybe an extension for Patterson is coming, but there were at least 10+ FA RBs better than Williams.

The RB market is weird, some real spares getting signed, Abdullah by Raiders is last one meanwhile other then the Arizona Rb's quickly signing all the other top FA Rb's which I thought to be Fournette, Penny, Rojo and maybe Michell still all twisting in the free agent winds.

The RB market is weird, some real spares getting signed, Abdullah by Raiders is last one meanwhile other then the Arizona Rb's quickly signing all the other top FA Rb's which I thought to be Fournette, Penny, Rojo and maybe Michell still all twisting in the free agent winds.
Melvin Gordon too. 

He was pretty much out of the picture in Chicago behind Montgomery and Herbert, so not sure he offers much of a threat at this stage.
All true but Mike Davis is not exactly a big bar to cross and and it's not like any of us were high on C-Pat last year at this time.
I think there be someone else brought in ahead of both of them, whether it’s one of the better FAs still out there mentioned above, or a rookie. I doubt they roll again with a retread like they did last year with Davis.

what about the other Williams RB?
 Darrel Williams of KC?  He still unsigned?
Yes, but I don't think he(or Sony Michel, or Ronald Jones to be honest) are better than Davis/Damien.

Its a lot easier to be a RB for KC, LA, or TB, than it is to be on Atlanta.

In my opinion, its Patterson>Penny>Gordon>Fournette, and then don't bother until after the draft. 

Users who are viewing this thread