What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next TOP SONG of 1988 - 1. Heartbreak Beat - Psychedelic Furs   (1 Viewer)

47.  Faith - George Michael

This came out in October of 87 and began climbing the charts to become the number-one single the next year in 1988.  The eponymous track of the album Faith that became one of the best-selling albums of all time having sold over 25 million copies worldwide and was certified Diamond by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1996.

A few years before this came out, when Michael was still with Wham my gf had a crush on Michael making me hate him and I pretty much hated everything he did up to this song but still resisted until a guy from work went nuts over this song and would blare it whenever it came on the radio, and in 1988 it was played a lot.  

I remember when I decided that the song was pretty good, lol.

48.  Everywhere - Fleetwood Mac 

Hadn't heard this in a while and I liked it better than I remember.  This single was the most popular from the album and went triple platinum.

Not their best, but makes my top 100 for the year.
One of the most underrated aspects of Fleetwood Mac is Christie McVie's overdubbed backing vocals.  

The ease that they wash over their songs to fill the curves and hollows, wonderfully comforting.

47.  Faith - George Michael

This came out in October of 87 and began climbing the charts to become the number-one single the next year in 1988.  The eponymous track of the album Faith that became one of the best-selling albums of all time having sold over 25 million copies worldwide and was certified Diamond by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1996.

A few years before this came out, when Michael was still with Wham my gf had a crush on Michael making me hate him and I pretty much hated everything he did up to this song but still resisted until a guy from work went nuts over this song and would blare it whenever it came on the radio, and in 1988 it was played a lot.  

I remember when I decided that the song was pretty good, lol.
This is a big fat no from me. It’s annoying and it was EVERYWHERE.

46.  Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen

A slow-burn song that builds with quiet power.

The references to marital problems are quite direct, as in the lyrics:

"Oh, we stood at the altar

The gypsy swore our future was right

But come the wee wee hours

Well maybe, baby, the gypsy lied."

"So when you look at me..you better look hard and look twice, is that me baby or just a brilliant disguise?"

One of my favorite Springsteen songs.

Tunnel of Love release has some very good tracks on it.

This record is Springsteen's most obvious homage to Roy Orbison, though Roy's influence all over his music from the beginning. Bruce couldn't sing like Orbison (no one else could, either), but his phrasing has always been way closer to Roy than it is to anyone else.

This record is Springsteen's most obvious homage to Roy Orbison, though Roy's influence all over his music from the beginning. Bruce couldn't sing like Orbison (no one else could, either), but his phrasing has always been way closer to Roy than it is to anyone else.

From what I have read it was about his failed marriage to Julianne Phillips.  

45.  Ship Of Fools - Erasure 

Off of the album The Innocents which became the first in a string of number-one albums by Erasure in the UK, turning double platinum with sales over 600,000. Thanks to heavy exposure on MTV, it also spawned two major Billboard Hot 100 hits, a Top 50 placing on the Billboard 200 and Platinum album certification in the US. According to Nielsen SoundScan, 23 years after its release the album has sold a total of 5 million copies worldwide. It is their best selling album to date.

44.  Bring Me Some Water - Melissa Etheridge

Musically, "Bring Me Some Water" is a classic rock song with some blues themes. During an interview featured on the bonus DVD of Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled, Etheridge says:

"I remember sitting in my living room and I loved the blues. I am of the rock 'n' roll school where it comes from the rhythm and blues based music, and so there was this kind of beat that I wanted."

44.  Bring Me Some Water - Melissa Etheridge

Musically, "Bring Me Some Water" is a classic rock song with some blues themes. During an interview featured on the bonus DVD of Greatest Hits: The Road Less Traveled, Etheridge says:

"I remember sitting in my living room and I loved the blues. I am of the rock 'n' roll school where it comes from the rhythm and blues based music, and so there was this kind of beat that I wanted."
Definitely a rock legend. Saw her in concert 3 times (pre political shill) and she was brilliant. Another" How the heck did the freaking GoGos get into the R&R HOF before her? 

53.  Somewhere Down The Crazy River - Robbie Robertson 

Robbie Robertson of The Band fame released this one on his solo debut album.  The backstory is worth telling.

When one of the producers, Daniel Lanois, was asked about the inspiration for "Somewhere Down the Crazy River", he said that the song was "kind of like a guy with a deep voice telling you about steaming nights in Arkansas". He went on to say that Robertson was describing his experiences of hanging out in his old neighborhood of Arkansas with Levon Helm (fellow The Band member) during hot nights in which they were "fishing with dynamite" and had asked a local for directions to "somewhere down the crazy river"
Great album that also has collaborations with Peter Gabriel, U2 and The Bodeans on it. 

43.  Slow Turning - John Hiatt 

Slow Turning was singer-songwriter John Hiatt's ninth album, released in 1988. It provided Hiatt's only significant radio hit with the title track, which features the memorable line

"I'm yelling at the kids in the back, 'cause they're banging like Charlie Watts".

Slow Turning was singer-songwriter John Hiatt's ninth album, released in 1988. It provided Hiatt's only significant radio hit with the title track, which features the memorable line

"I'm yelling at the kids in the back, 'cause they're banging like Charlie Watts".
John has a way with words. The song has these lines too:

“I always thought our house was haunted
'Cause nobody said "boo" to me
I never did get what I wanted
But now I get what I need”

Oooh, nice one!

For some reason, I thought this came out in the '90s.

Hiatt's a left-of-the-dial radio darling to this day.

40.  Joshua Tree-One Tree Hill - U2

The track was written in memory of Greg Carroll, a New Zealander the band first met in Auckland during the Unforgettable Fire Tour in 1984. He became very close friends with lead singer Bono and later served as a roadie for the group. Carroll was killed in July 1986 in a motorcycle accident in Dublin. After Carroll's tangi (funeral) in New Zealand, Bono wrote the lyrics to "One Tree Hill" in his memory. 

Bracie Smathers said:

Love this song.  The lines you quoted are the only lines in the song that I actively dislike.  Who the #### asks a gypsy for advice?

Fantastic song.   As noted by another poster, best line:

"So when you look at me..you better look hard and look twice, is that me baby or just a brilliant disguise?"

45.  Ship Of Fools - Erasure 

Off of the album The Innocents which became the first in a string of number-one albums by Erasure in the UK, turning double platinum with sales over 600,000. Thanks to heavy exposure on MTV, it also spawned two major Billboard Hot 100 hits, a Top 50 placing on the Billboard 200 and Platinum album certification in the US. According to Nielsen SoundScan, 23 years after its release the album has sold a total of 5 million copies worldwide. It is their best selling album to date.
Big fan of Erasure

39.  The Look - Roxette 

This list is turning Smörgåsbord as a Swedish group makes the cut with a fun pure-pop tune.

The first two verses are composed of guide lyrics, with Gessle explaining he "scribbled [them] down instantly just to remember the rhythm. But they stuck in my head. 'Walking like a man, hitting like a hammer...', it all had a great groove. And in some pseudo-psychedelic way à la 'I Am the Walrus', it all seemed to make sense."  He found it "impossible" to replace the lyrics when trying to rewrite them later, and said he sought to balance the lyrical content by making the "rest of the lyrics intelligent in some way."

38.  The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson 

No one was ever going to equal the stratosphere of Thriller, not even Michael Jackson but this tune would have fit on Thriller.  It captures the time before MJ right before MJ jumped the shark.  I always liked this tune.
Easily the best tune musically on Bad. The chorus is to die for. 

(Man in the Mirror is the best tune lyrically.)

37.  Someday - BoDeans 

Dreams - BoDeans 

When my computer crashed, and I lost my list I lost a couple of tunes and just found one tune so I'm doubling up with the Bodeans.  This is from one of my favorites and under rated albums from 1988 (this came out in October of the fall of 87 but I was playing it heavy on my DJ shifts in 1988)

I love both of these songs but have a special place in my heart for the song Dreams because as I was moving from Steamboat Springs to Boulder to start a new chapter.  The summer of 1988 Yellowstone fires were about 250 miles away and created the most gorgeous multicolored sunsets.  I was still working my disc jockey job at KFMU on the first two weekends as I was going over Rabbit Ears pass, a light snow was falling, the Aspen trees were colored brightly.  I was captured in a beautiful melancholy leaving a wonderful place and time while heading into an unknown promising future and I'll never forget that once in a lifetime multicolored sunset as Dreams was blasting over the speakers of my Mustang as I left Steamboat for the last time.

34.  Roll With It - Steve Winwood 

Hmmm, I never knew this bit of trivia till right now.

"Roll with It" is a song recorded by Steve Winwood for his album of the same name, released on Virgin Records. It was written by Winwood and songwriter Will Jennings. Publishing rights organization BMI later had Motown songwriters Holland-Dozier-Holland credited with co-writing the song due to its resemblance to the Junior Walker hit "(I'm a) Roadrunner".

Last edited by a moderator:
How on earth can you hear that? I've heard that songs plenty of times and never thought of the "phrasing" of it. But you're right. Strip away everything and you can hear it. 

How on earth can you hear that? I've heard that songs plenty of times and never thought of the "phrasing" of it. But you're right. Strip away everything and you can hear it. 
When it first came out, I remember thinking "that sounds like something else" but I couldn't put my finger on it. Right around the same time, Roy was having a moment and I knew it as soon as I heard whatever new song I was listening to. The kicker for me was the "is it meeeeee" line in "Brilliant Disguise".  Once I heard it in that context of Orbison's sound, it clicked. Then I started hearing it in other Bruce songs. I'm sure some of that could be projection on my part but, knowing how big an Orbison fan Springsteen has always been, I don't necessarily think I'm out of bounds either. Also, the Bruce songs with those long crescendos (sometimes it's the entire song) are straight out of songs like "Running Scared" and "It's Over".

32.  Sister Madly - Crowded House

Richard Thompson of the Thompson Twins did the guitar solo on this one.  And Nick Seymour did bass and backing vocals.

Junkee Media, a digital media company based in Australia said, "Seymour executes a career-best walking bassline, and the trio’s three-part harmonies are impeccable. Of particular note, however, is once again Hester’s jazz brushes – somehow, he always knew just how to make a snare drum positively sizzle."

33.  The Valley Road  - Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Hornsby was quoted in an interview with the Chicago Tribune saying that the song was inspired by observations he made growing up in the Commonwealth of Virginia. "Every year, some rich girl would get involved with some country guy, and they would act irresponsibly and have to deal with the ramifications."
Great tune, great video too. Only nitpick is I wish it had a less late 80's bass and drum sound.

Great tune, great video too. Only nitpick is I wish it had a less late 80's bass and drum sound.
The 80s introduced something I loathe, electro beats.  Not found of the overuse of sax as a filler of that era.

I thought you would have had a legit complaint about the videos overuse of middle-aged fat men dancing in bad attire.  Not one attractive person accidentally made it into the video, lol

The 80s introduced something I loathe, electro beats.  Not found of the overuse of sax as a filler of that era.

I thought you would have had a legit complaint about the videos overuse of middle-aged fat men dancing in bad attire.  Not one attractive person accidentally made it into the video, lol
That's what's great about the video, it's just the band and regular folks off the street. Love it.

Richard Thompson of the Thompson Twins did the guitar solo on this one.  And Nick Seymour did bass and backing vocals.

Junkee Media, a digital media company based in Australia said, "Seymour executes a career-best walking bassline, and the trio’s three-part harmonies are impeccable. Of particular note, however, is once again Hester’s jazz brushes – somehow, he always knew just how to make a snare drum positively sizzle."
One of my favorites 

38.  The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson 

No one was ever going to equal the stratosphere of Thriller, not even Michael Jackson but this tune would have fit on Thriller.  It captures the time before MJ right before MJ jumped the shark.  I always liked this tune.
Yeah this song is amazing. Well constructed. Such a good rhythm. Even MJ doesnt go loopy bananas singing it. 

33.  The Valley Road  - Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Hornsby was quoted in an interview with the Chicago Tribune saying that the song was inspired by observations he made growing up in the Commonwealth of Virginia. "Every year, some rich girl would get involved with some country guy, and they would act irresponsibly and have to deal with the ramifications."
Love the Piano work. He is mainly remembered for The Way It Is, but this is just so much better.

A great find. This may be the only Crowded House single I have, but no one bought it. Neil Finn is an amazing song writer. One of my favorite musical quotes was by his older brother Tim Finn, who in the early days of Split Enz said...paraphrasing as I cant find the exact quote....”He’s useless now, but one day he will be one of the greatest songwriters of our generation”

31.  Tom's Diner  - Suzanne Vega

Side story.  My buddy who worked at the radio station never got laid so when he told us that on a business trip for the station that he hooked up with Vega we were stunned.  

The "Tom's Diner" of the song is Tom's Restaurant in New York City, a mid-20th-century diner on the corner of Broadway and 112th Street. Singer and songwriter Suzanne Vega was reputedly a frequent patron during the early 1980s when she was a student at nearby Barnard College. The diner later became famous as the location used for the exterior scenes of Monk's Café in the popular 1990s television sitcom Seinfeld.

Side story.  My buddy who worked at the radio station never got laid so when he told us that on a business trip for the station that he hooked up with Vega we were stunned.  

The "Tom's Diner" of the song is Tom's Restaurant in New York City, a mid-20th-century diner on the corner of Broadway and 112th Street. Singer and songwriter Suzanne Vega was reputedly a frequent patron during the early 1980s when she was a student at nearby Barnard College. The diner later became famous as the location used for the exterior scenes of Monk's Café in the popular 1990s television sitcom Seinfeld.
Love the remix of this song. Instant earworm. Oh, you linked to it. 

Sweet. 

Maybe it was always that way, but I seem to remember that it was a remix by DNA. Fantastic song, regardless. 

By the way, I think scorchy had "End Of The Line" in his countdown. 

My 2nd/3rd-year of law school boyfriend lived across the street from Tom's.  It made me want to like this song, but I never could.  Great Monte Cristo at Tom's, though.

Sweet. 

Maybe it was always that way, but I seem to remember that it was a remix by DNA. Fantastic song, regardless. 

By the way, I think scorchy had "End Of The Line" in his countdown. 
Just reading the artist and song title was enough to plant the ear worm for me.

Sweet. 

I got fooled for a second, thinking to myself "'Tom's Diner' wasn't 1988 ... wait ... oh yeah, the original."

Great song, great album and great band. Crowded House started out as a 3 piece band with Paul Hester on drums, Neil Finn on vocals and guitar and Nick Seymour on Bass. 

Richard Thompson is not from the Thompson Twins (in fact nobody in the band has the last name Thompson). Richard Thompson was in Fairport Convention and also recorded with his wife (Linda). Richard and Linda Thompson have a great album called “Shoot Out The Lights”. He also has one of my all time favourite songs “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” from 1991.

Great song, great album and great band. Crowded House started out as a 3 piece band with Paul Hester on drums, Neil Finn on vocals and guitar and Nick Seymour on Bass. 

Richard Thompson is not from the Thompson Twins (in fact nobody in the band has the last name Thompson). Richard Thompson was in Fairport Convention and also recorded with his wife (Linda). Richard and Linda Thompson have a great album called “Shoot Out The Lights”. He also has one of my all time favourite songs “1952 Vincent Black Lightning” from 1991.

Oh my gosh, I read it so fast that I didn't even notice the Thompson Twins reference.  I'm glad you corrected this!  Richard Thompson is one of my favorites!  And the Thompson Twins are not.  :lol:  

Oh my gosh, I read it so fast that I didn't even notice the Thompson Twins reference.  I'm glad you corrected this!  Richard Thompson is one of my favorites!  And the Thompson Twins are not.  :lol:  
I flagged that when I read it this morning, but I didn't have time to check whether the Thompson Twins had a DIFFERENT guy named Richard Thompson. 😆

Users who are viewing this thread