What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mass Shootings Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t stop thinking about this video. It’s so f-ing unreal that they have to go through something like this. There is literally a killer at the door. If your stomach doesn’t drop from watch this I’m not sure you have a pulse. 
I don't think that was the killer. 

shooter used a handgun

this will be yesterday's news today because its not a tragedy that can be used for political gain

had it been same injuries/death with a rifle, there would have been an all out assault by Biden/Democrats 

but it wasn't

where was school security ?

This Sheriff is really doing a good job. Shocking info about that gun being purchased so recently by the dad and the kid posing on social media with it
If that’s true, the dad should be charged. Unreal the lack of responsibility shown there as a gun owner and parent.

I almost say who cares? There’s lonely, angry, mentally unwell, vindictive, etc teens everywhere in the world. The real question is why did a teen have such easy access to a handgun and ammo?
Both are important.  A lot of these end with the shooter taking their lives, so IMO we should try to learn as much as we can when a shooter like this is arrested if it might help stop another incident.  

I completely agree with this, but I’ve gotten a lot of pushback in here from the gun worshippers over

Between you, fish and dan lambskin I don't know who takes the record for most hyperbole.  If you guys can't control your emotions like a bunch of teenage girls then maybe you should sit this one out until you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
They run out the window and then go back into a building where sheriff and staff are right there saying it's ok. If the shooter was still active and that close that would have been handled differently. 
I can't confirm, but I heard a report that the person on the other side of the door said the word "bro" and that tipped the other students to doubt he was actually a sheriff. 

edit to add: it is quite possible that they already cleared and secured that side of the building. It looks like they ran to a different wing of the school, so it is possible that, with only one shooter, the officers could have deemed that area safe while pushing into the rest of the school looking to corner the shooter. But thats just my opinion 

Read some weird stuff about this school. Threats earlier in the month, a severed deer head left in a courtyard. 

Also read that deputies apprehended the shooter gun in hand as he came out of a bathroom. Maybe as early as 3 minutes after the 911 call. 

My sources aren't great though, so don't take to bank bromigos.

As a teacher, I can tell you my district has 5 buildings on 2 separate Campuses and 1 resource officer... 1. Unless schools are to hire multiple officers... this is NOT the answer. And if, each school district in America WAS to hire multiple officers, how are we going to pay of it?? I cant even get new textbooks for my classroom!

Read some weird stuff about this school. Threats earlier in the month, a severed deer head left in a courtyard. 

Also read that deputies apprehended the shooter gun in hand as he came out of a bathroom. Maybe as early as 3 minutes after the 911 call. 

Also true that many of the kids kind suspected this to happen. One kid gave an interview saying many of his friends didn’t go to school that day out of concern.

shooter used a handgun

this will be yesterday's news today because its not a tragedy that can be used for political gain

had it been same injuries/death with a rifle, there would have been an all out assault by Biden/Democrats 

but it wasn't

The school officer made the arrest. It’s a school with about 1500-1800 kids. It’s a big building. Sounds like it was probably about 3 minutes from first shot to arrest.

As for an angle, it should be how did the kid get his dads gun? Why was it so easy to access? Should their be more training on gun safety required for gun owners? Should their be criminal consequences when a parent leaves their gun out so that their child has access to it? 

Both are important.  A lot of these end with the shooter taking their lives, so IMO we should try to learn as much as we can when a shooter like this is arrested if it might help stop another incident.  
What’s easier to prevent:

A) kids from feeling alienated, angry, hateful or unwell?

B) kids from having access to a gun? 

I am also interested to hear who knew what ahead of time and who didn’t follow up properly with the warning signs.

How so?

do you disagree that if everyone in America turned in their guns we’d have less dead kids from school shootings?

don’t tell me it’s not realistic 

answer as a simple yes or no

Your concern for The ChildrenTM is as fake as bleach-carrying MAGA supporters in -40 degree below weather in Chicago at 2am in the morning.  You came into this thread with one purpose - to throw political firebombs.  Your concern for The ChildrenTM is only used when someone calls you out.

Spare us your fake outrage - you're more concerned with talking points and agendas.  The ChildrenTM are just the vehicle you're using today.

As a teacher, I can tell you my district has 5 buildings on 2 separate Campuses and 1 resource officer... 1. Unless schools are to hire multiple officers... this is NOT the answer. And if, each school district in America WAS to hire multiple officers, how are we going to pay of it?? I cant even get new textbooks for my classroom!
There is a political answer in here about how funding keeps getting slashed but will somehow blame the teachers

Your concern for The ChildrenTM is as fake as bleach-carrying MAGA supporters in -40 degree below weather in Chicago at 2am in the morning.  You came into this thread with one purpose - to throw political firebombs.  Your concern for The ChildrenTM is only used when someone calls you out.

Spare us your fake outrage - you're more concerned with talking points and agendas.  The ChildrenTM are just the vehicle you're using today.
I see you dodged my question 

Police are saying the severed deer head was unrelated. They caught the suspect walking down the hall with a handgun and 2 clips. He peacefully gave himself up. There’s reports he posted himself on IG with the gun and that he posted images of “targets”.

Police are saying the severed deer head was unrelated. They caught the suspect walking down the hall with a handgun and 2 clips. He peacefully gave himself up. There’s reports he posted himself on IG with the gun and that he posted images of “targets”.
I wasn't trying to imply they were related. From what I saw they caught the guy that did it because they had good quality video of him doing it. 

Just crazy that two times in the last month the school had to issue all clear/safe messages. Imagine how bad that spokesperson feels? 

Not their fault at all and zero wrongdoing, I just imagine that person feels awful. 

well the answer isn't trusting kids not to go wacko nut job and the answer isn't to punish 80- million legal law abiding citizens for the actions of a few dozen troubled kids .... the answer is multiple officers IMO

which piggy backs costs - I get that, I do ..... but I don't think with a 2 trillion spending package just being pushed through money is lacking in our Federal Govt

truth is - the leaders/Govt don't want to protect kids in schools. If they did - they'd find the money to do it

What’s easier to prevent:

A) kids from feeling alienated, angry, hateful or unwell?

B) kids from having access to a gun? 

I am also interested to hear who knew what ahead of time and who didn’t follow up properly with the warning signs.

not just a gun - you'd have to take away access to any weapons which is virtually impossible and, does absolutely NOTHING to help the kids and what's making them what they are

don't ignore the core problems, we've done that way, way too long

I wasn't trying to imply they were related. From what I saw they caught the guy that did it because they had good quality video of him doing it. 

Just crazy that two times in the last month the school had to issue all clear/safe messages. Imagine how bad that spokesperson feels? 

Not their fault at all and zero wrongdoing, I just imagine that person feels awful. 
Oh no worries, just letting people know. It does look like the kid posted a countdown on IG over the last couple days saying death was coming to Oxford. The signs were there for parents, students and administrators.

Just curious why you think the outrage is fake?  School kids being shot up is a seriously emotional and devastating event.  One that happens routinely almost exclusively in this country.

I think you should chill out and stop being so emotional.  Of course it upsets people, let them be upset.  No one is going to come and take your guns so relax.

Just curious why you think the outrage is fake?  School kids being shot up is a seriously emotional and devastating event.  One that happens routinely almost exclusively in this country.

I think you should chill out and stop being so emotional.  Of course it upsets people, let them be upset.  No one is going to come and take your guns so relax.

You should probably read the entire thread, starting at the latest shooting to see who the emotional ones are and to get my take on why the outrage is fake.  I think if you had read it, you would understand where I'm coming from when I say that.  I mean, I literally explain it in my previous posts.

@BladeRunnerdo you think there would be less dead kids from school shootings if all civilians turned in their guns

yes or no?

we can what if many many ways .... would their be less dad kids if this, if that ... the core problem is the few dozen wacko's that want to hurt others in schools every year - literally 50 million of so kids go to school and literally what, 25-50 take weapons' to schools and try and kill others every year?  for that % you'd make every citizen in the USA give up their constitutional right to firearms ?

Data on the weapons used in school-associated homicides is even harder to find. The CDC does have data, but only from July 1999 to June 2006. It includes data on fatal injuries that happened on school property, occurred at a school-sponsored event, or took place while traveling to or from those (the data doesn’t include colleges and universities). Over that period, the CDC calculated that, among student victims, 65 percent of homicides included gunshot wounds, 27 percent included stabbing or cutting, and 12 percent included beatings (the total adds up to slightly more than 100 percent because incidents may have included multiple means).

So know the above - lets pretend guns were not around, and these troubled kids used knives to kill/wound ... logically following your trend of banning things to stop things, we would then require all citizens to turn in their knives ?

why ignore the core problem ?

not just a gun - you'd have to take away access to any weapons which is virtually impossible and, does absolutely NOTHING to help the kids and what's making them what they are

don't ignore the core problems, we've done that way, way too long
One of the core problems is a fascination and obsession with guns that we have. Also there’s no weapon equivalent to a gun. Most 15 year olds  couldn’t make a working bomb. Using a knife requires a physically and commitment totally different from a gun with a lower body count. The kid gave up when the police arrived. I’m not at all convinced he would have had the intensity and commitment to stab multiple people to death. That’s just so so different from shooting. 

COE - Violent Deaths at School and Away From School and ...

https://nces.ed.gov › programs › coe › indicator

Violent deaths and shootings at schools are rare but tragic events with far-reaching effects on the school population and surrounding community.

One of the core problems is a fascination and obsession with guns that we have. Also there’s no weapon equivalent to a gun. Most 15 year olds  couldn’t make a working bomb. Using a knife requires a physically and commitment totally different from a gun with a lower body count. The kid gave up when the police arrived. I’m not at all convinced he would have had the intensity and commitment to stab multiple people to death. That’s just so so different from shooting. 

my kids were never fascinated with guns - yours are? In fact, I don't know anyone obsessed with guns, you do ? because that's kinds weird 

yes, different tools, but you are talking about a troubled person intent on harm, they're going to do it, with whatever they can acquire ... maybe instead of a gun, he's have drove a car through a group of kids waiting in line killing dozens. I'm actually surprised this hasn't become a trend

I think statements like this exaggerate what guns really are to people.  A lot of this comes from hype driven by lefty ideologues who need to exaggerate to try and push their agenda thru.

I think you'll find that most people who own guns aren't fascinated or obsessed with them at all.

other countries protect their kids with guns, or their laws/judicial system is so much harsher and kids are treated/raised very differently .... lots of variable that you're not taking into account plus we'd not hear of a school shooting in most other countries, our media doesn't report like that which leaves us in echo chamber

example - remember this ?

yeah ... nobody did, because our media didn't show it

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/11/02/cameroon-gunmen-massacre-school-children

(New York) - Gunmen stormed a private school in Cameroon’s Anglophone South-West region on October 24, 2020, killing 7 children and injuring at least 13 others. Cameroonian authorities, with technical support and forensics expertise from the United Nations and African Union, should urgently protect the site, preserve evidence, carry out a credible, effective investigation, and ensure that those responsible for the attack are held to account.

I think statements like this exaggerate what guns really are to people.  A lot of this comes from hype driven by lefty ideologues who need to exaggerate to try and push their agenda thru.

I think you'll find that most people who own guns aren't fascinated or obsessed with them at all.

if there is a fascination/obsession, look to Hollywood for glorifying them, video games, tv violence, rap violence etc maybe ?

I was watching Ozark the other day .... and the kid got his friend to purchase an AR15 for him (illegal to sell the gun the way it was portrayed anyway) and then when he did shoot it? yeah - fully auto ........ completely illegal

but they drove home important anti-gun points like how easy it is to buy illegally and how guns are fully automatic etc 🤬

other countries protect their kids with guns, or their laws/judicial system is so much harsher and kids are treated/raised very differently .... lots of variable that you're not taking into account plus we'd not hear of a school shooting in most other countries, our media doesn't report like that which leaves us in echo chamber

example - remember this ?

yeah ... nobody did, because our media didn't show it

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/11/02/cameroon-gunmen-massacre-school-children

(New York) - Gunmen stormed a private school in Cameroon’s Anglophone South-West region on October 24, 2020, killing 7 children and injuring at least 13 others. Cameroonian authorities, with technical support and forensics expertise from the United Nations and African Union, should urgently protect the site, preserve evidence, carry out a credible, effective investigation, and ensure that those responsible for the attack are held to account.
You're comparing the US to Cameroon?  And I said more regularly in the US.  

How often do we see school killings in Canada, Europe, Russia, Japan, India, etc?

You should probably read the entire thread, starting at the latest shooting to see who the emotional ones are and to get my take on why the outrage is fake.  I think if you had read it, you would understand where I'm coming from when I say that.  I mean, I literally explain it in my previous posts.
You keep using the The Children like it's somehow fake that people are upset that kids got killed.

You're coming across really poorly but you do you. 

You're comparing the US to Cameroon?  And I said more regularly in the US.  

How often do we see school killings in Canada, Europe, Russia, Japan, India, etc?

no you said  almost exclusively in this country.

every country is different, in some countries its stabbings, in some countries there is no violence at all (its their culture NOT to be violent) ... same countries also see low rioting, they have less diversity in population, etc etc there are MANY factors involved with a simple statement like " well we see more shootings in the USA "

the problem is - the people

you like what if's .... what if we could lock up every person wanting to harm someone else - lock them away in prisons ..... nobody would have to give up a gun, a car, a knife, anything. Would you do that ?

no you said  almost exclusively in this country.

every country is different, in some countries its stabbings, in some countries there is no violence at all (its their culture NOT to be violent) ... same countries also see low rioting, they have less diversity in population, etc etc there are MANY factors involved with a simple statement like " well we see more shootings in the USA "

the problem is - the people

you like what if's .... what if we could lock up every person wanting to harm someone else - lock them away in prisons ..... nobody would have to give up a gun, a car, a knife, anything. Would you do that ?
You giving one example of a killing in a 3rd world country does not negate my "almost exclusively in this country" comment.

And stop.  Not a single first world country kills each other like we do.  Hell, we're worst than most 3rd world countries.  I agree it is the people, but it's also the easy access to guns.  Guns are the most efficient killing tools by a wide margin.

:fishing:

No thanks.  I'd rather discuss this topic with someone that is well-meaning and honest in their discussions. 

we can what if many many ways .... would their be less dad kids if this, if that ... the core problem is the few dozen wacko's that want to hurt others in schools every year - literally 50 million of so kids go to school and literally what, 25-50 take weapons' to schools and try and kill others every year?  for that % you'd make every citizen in the USA give up their constitutional right to firearms ?

Data on the weapons used in school-associated homicides is even harder to find. The CDC does have data, but only from July 1999 to June 2006. It includes data on fatal injuries that happened on school property, occurred at a school-sponsored event, or took place while traveling to or from those (the data doesn’t include colleges and universities). Over that period, the CDC calculated that, among student victims, 65 percent of homicides included gunshot wounds, 27 percent included stabbing or cutting, and 12 percent included beatings (the total adds up to slightly more than 100 percent because incidents may have included multiple means).

So know the above - lets pretend guns were not around, and these troubled kids used knives to kill/wound ... logically following your trend of banning things to stop things, we would then require all citizens to turn in their knives ?

why ignore the core problem ?
It’s a pretty simple yes or no question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread