What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You vill sign ze apology (1 Viewer)

So when is the guy appearing on Hannity? Or has that already happened? I’m guessing he has an agent already and that he’ll make the rounds: Tucker, Laura Ingraham, etc. 

The conservative hunger for these kind of stories is never ending. 
In California this kid would be protected under Leonard's Law (see Chaze Vinci, Stanford this summer)

So when is the guy appearing on Hannity? Or has that already happened? I’m guessing he has an agent already and that he’ll make the rounds: Tucker, Laura Ingraham, etc. 

And the supply is never ending as well.

And the supply is never ending as well.
I know you think that. But not so much, or it wouldn’t be a story. 
It’s the same with mass shooting incidents. Liberals always freak out about those, including me, and they’re awful. But in truth they’re extremely rare which is why every time one happens it’s immediately a national news story. 

A trap house is where the kid sits that operates the clay pigeon thrower 

You couldn’t have a very big party in there, but there’s nothing racist about it 

It’s the same with mass shooting incidents. Liberals always freak out about those, including me, and they’re awful. But in truth they’re extremely rare which is why every time one happens it’s immediately a national news story. 
The broader issue of free speech on college campuses is as real as a heart attack.

I read some other articles about this story and the one posted leaves out some information that some people might find relevant.  For example, in this op-ed from The Hill, I was able to read more of what the controversial invite said:

Trent Colbert, a Yale Law student who belongs to the Native American Law Students Association (he’s part Cherokee) and the conservative Federalist Society, invited classmates to an event cohosted by both groups. “We will be christening our very own (soon to be) world-renowned NALSA Trap House … by throwing a Constitution Day Bash in collaboration with FedSoc," he wrote. The invitation promised “Popeye’s chicken, basic-#####-American-themed snacks (like apple pie etc.)” and hard and soft drinks. 

It does seem like the references to Popeye's chicken and "basic-#####", in addition to the use of the term "trap house" might raise some eyebrows and suggest some racially-coded language.  And I don't think it's irrelevant that the Federalist Society is a co-host -- I think it's conservative groups like the Federalist Society that have done campus stunts elsewhere like "affirmative action" bake sales, etc.  None of this is to say that the kid is a racist or that he did anything wrong.  But to me, it makes the reaction to the invite more understandable than if it was just a reference to "trap house" without the other stuff.

I haven't listened to the audio, but it also seems to me that the administrator's advice to apologize because lawyers have to be admitted to the bar might not have been a threat at all.  Nine different students apparently complained about the invite.  Any one of those students could potentially contact the state bar that this kid decides to apply to and cause him problems.  An apology, whether he thinks it is sincere or not, might have helped to diminish the likelihood of that happening.

My overall conclusion based on the partial info I've read is that the administrators overreacted, but also that this guy is making a big deal out of a situation where he didn't actually face any negative consequences from the school.  Sometimes it's OK to just apologize for making people upset, even if you didn't intend to do anything wrong AND you think they're being unreasonable.  In my view our society doesn't have too many people apologizing for stuff, it has too few.

🤷‍♂️ sounds to me like the makings of a good lawyer. You know, someone that understands his rights and is willing to fight for them.
It may seem that way, but in reality a "good lawyer" is able to weigh the totality of certain circumstances, analyze the odds/chances for success, and effectively communicate pragmatic advice. 

Lawyers that advise their clients to fight on "principle" may seem great in movies ("I want you to let them be judged!") but in reality are doing a disservices to their clients. 

Ah the "culture wars", what would we do without them.

Is there a reason why the actual invitation isn't posted somewhere?  If it included things like "Popeye's fried chicken" then c'mon man, do better. If it's innocent and he's being railroaded, I'd be happy to say so. 

Yale  :lol:  Pre-writing apology letters, not a good look. 

Hey, I always loved clients who insisted they were willing to spend thousands of dollars on "integrity" and "principle". I just made sure they paid and maintained a large retainer, because, inevitably, somewhere during the process they were likely to re-evaluate the depths of their principles, and generally one of the first "principles" to be re-evaluated was the duty to pay outstanding legal fees.
Yeah the "on prinicple" cases result in two winners: the lawyers on either side (provided they adequately took a sizable retainer). 

Ah the "culture wars", what would we do without them.

Is there a reason why the actual invitation isn't posted somewhere?  If it included things like "Popeye's fried chicken" then c'mon man, do better. If it's innocent and he's being railroaded, I'd be happy to say so. 

Yale  :lol:  Pre-writing apology letters, not a good look. 
I listened to the linked audio. The student doesn't deny that he included things like "fried chicken" and "basic #####" so i think we can reasonably infer they were included. 

After listening to the audio and reading what's been linked in here, I view this situation akin to the Kavanagh nominations. I do not conclude that it's more likely than not that Kavanagh sexually assaulted somebody back in high school nor do i think it's more likely than not that this student intended to be racist. However, in both circumstances, I think both persons responded very poorly to the accusations and acted in ways inconistent in the manner and/or decorum of a justice and/or a highly touted law school prospect. 

Focusing back on the student, if he applied to my office I would vote not to hire him - Yale degree or not. I assume many other firms will feel the same. And he'll be kicking himself for acting "on principle."

It may seem that way, but in reality a "good lawyer" is able to weigh the totality of certain circumstances, analyze the odds/chances for success, and effectively communicate pragmatic advice. 

Lawyers that advise their clients to fight on "principle" may seem great in movies ("I want you to let them be judged!") but in reality are doing a disservices to their clients. 
What a icky profession. I guess the pay is good though.

I agree.   If there is a argument in a local grocery store between two people of different races it can make the national news at times. Media has an insatiable appetite for these types of stories even though many are meaningless in day to day life and happen all the time with people of the same race.

You and I have different backgrounds.   Trap house where I grew up was a house where you could buy drugs and get crack whores.  Not a lot of white people associated with them.

Hypothetical question.  Imagine back in the early 1990s a politician, let's say a Senator from Delaware, armed with the knowledge that few white people associated with "trap" houses where you could buy crack, drafted language in a crime bill that gave harsher criminal penalties for crack than say cocaine, a substance that a lot of white people did have associated with them.  Would you say that was racists?  

I listened to the linked audio. The student doesn't deny that he included things like "fried chicken" and "basic #####" so i think we can reasonably infer they were included. 

After listening to the audio and reading what's been linked in here, I view this situation akin to the Kavanagh nominations. I do not conclude that it's more likely than not that Kavanagh sexually assaulted somebody back in high school nor do i think it's more likely than not that this student intended to be racist. However, in both circumstances, I think both persons responded very poorly to the accusations and acted in ways inconistent in the manner and/or decorum of a justice and/or a highly touted law school prospect. 

Focusing back on the student, if he applied to my office I would vote not to hire him - Yale degree or not. I assume many other firms will feel the same. And he'll be kicking himself for acting "on principle."
Because you think he’s a racist or because SOMEONE does and it MIGHT come back to bite you 

Because you think he’s a racist or because SOMEONE does and it MIGHT come back to bite you 
No. That isn't even a factor. I've not concluded he's racist. 

It's because the student appears to lack the ability to objectively gauge the situation and determine the best course for a favorable outcome for himself. 

What a icky profession. I guess the pay is good though.
I'm not sure why you think it's "icky." 

Do you think it's wise to pay somebody several thousands of dollars to win mere hundreds because it's on principle?

(Also, to be clear, it's solely up to a litigant whether to settle a matter or pursue a matter or whatever. Lawyers merely advise the client about the pros and cons of doing so and the client can either take or leave the advice). 

I'm not sure why you think it's "icky." 

Do you think it's wise to pay somebody several thousands of dollars to win mere hundreds because it's on principle?

(Also, to be clear, it's solely up to a litigant whether to settle a matter or pursue a matter or whatever. Lawyers merely advise the client about the pros and cons of doing so and the client can either take or leave the advice). 

I think it is "icky" because of this statement in your previous post:

It's because the student appears to lack the ability to objectively gauge the situation and determine the best course for a favorable outcome for himself. 

There is no whats right or wrong, it's whats best for Me. ME ME ME ME ME. Damn everything else. 

I think it is "icky" because of this statement in your previous post:

There is no whats right or wrong, it's whats best for Me. ME ME ME ME ME. Damn everything else. 
In the practice of law a lawyer has an affirmative duty to the client (absent a few extreme exceptions). 

Which part of his response was poor?

Hypothetical question.  Imagine back in the early 1990s a politician, let's say a Senator from Delaware, armed with the knowledge that few white people associated with "trap" houses where you could buy crack, drafted language in a crime bill that gave harsher criminal penalties for crack than say cocaine, a substance that a lot of white people did have associated with them.  Would you say that was racists?  
Yep.  Only I'd say racist, not racists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whole thing reminds me of Fuzzy Zoeller saying Tiger Woods shouldn't serve fried chicken and collard greens at the next year's Master's dinner.

It was a bad racist joke that didn't land, and he needed to apologize for it.  In this case, you have a Yale law student who literally signed a contract saying he would adhere to the school's code of conduct, and he's being told he needs to apologize for it.   It's not only a simple issue of taking responsibility, but a contractual duty.   This isn't about being "woke".   It's about being stupid.

Which part of his response was poor?
So it's not that he attacked anyone, or yelled or displayed some other unruly action in response to be accused of something.  What made his response poor...was that he reasonably defended himself.

So it's not that he attacked anyone, or yelled or displayed some other unruly action in response to be accused of something.  What made his response poor...was that he reasonably defended himself.
I disagree with the bold. 

And that he was a member of a Conservative group.

Whole thing reminds me of Fuzzy Zoeller saying Tiger Woods shouldn't serve fried chicken and collard greens at the next year's Master's dinner.

It was a bad racist joke that didn't land, and he needed to apologize for it.  In this case, you have a Yale law student who literally signed a contract saying he would adhere to the school's code of conduct, and he's being told he needs to apologize for it.   It's not only a simple issue of taking responsibility, but a contractual duty.   This isn't about being "woke".   It's about being stupid.
Does the yale code of conduct policy prohibit inviting people to a party? 

It's not only a simple issue of taking responsibility, but a contractual duty.   This isn't about being "woke".   It's about being stupid.
What we've seen in this thread is that the definition of this term has changed over the years.  Woke Yale leadership has decided to assume the worst possible and least current definition.  At this point Yale has chosen this definition and painted the scarlet letter TRAP on the student's head.  I don't think it's the student being the stupid one here.

Situations like this have always happened.  They were isolated events that came and went and no one but the people involved knew or cared.

Now because of social media and biased media sources these things have become "news" and thousands of people that have no inside knowledge have to voice their opinion on the matter.

Situations like this have always happened.  They were isolated events that came and went and no one but the people involved knew or cared.

Now because of social media and biased media sources these things have become "news" and thousands of people that have no inside knowledge have to voice their opinion on the matter.
Students and administrators always threw fits if someone sent an invite out for a party at a trap house with popeyes fried chicken?

Big money in this nowadays....

-fish- said:
When did you go to Yale?
Been on the campus several times.  Grew up and still live a couple towns over.  Wouldn’t have gone there even if given a free ride.  Place is a cesspool on so many levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
This gets worse. KC Johnson and other media members are on the case. Apparently the Federalist Society had nothing to do with the invite, but the head of it was asked and threatened by the powers that be that they must apologize or else.

I would mail them back my degree if I was an alumnus.

https://davidlat.substack.com/p/yale-law-school-and-the-federalist
So they should apologize for demanding an apology, but demanding an apology is fundamentally wrong.

Seems like a Yale Law School education ain't what it used to be.   

Users who are viewing this thread