What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (1 Viewer)

Thanks. We'll see. This is mostly about "getting stuff on wax" for me. Maybe I can parlay "professional" writing experience into something that isn't FF. 

Really? Dig it. Get it out there, for sure. I worked in a part-publishing/editing position back when I was young and full and fluff for a political think tank. I did nothing but read for five years. I noticed you could write. There was a sentence or two I'd quibble with, but you seem to have a good footing.

I'm not just saying that. I read your article with a critical eye to see if you could pass muster. Half of this gig is writing. Good luck, and we're all pulling for you.

Good luck, and we're all pulling for you.
 I read this line in this voice 

I have some bigger manuscripts that I've been tossing around for a few years but need to finish. My Navy days are a hoot.

Anyway, not sure what I'm doing with Edwards moving forward. Need to see more and I suspect I am going to finally have to admit that Renfrow is a bigger deal than I've thought so far.

I read this line in this voice 

I have some bigger manuscripts that I've been tossing around for a few years but need to finish. My Navy days are a hoot.
I don't even need to click the link. That's hilarious. If I'd been less self-conscious in the least and not worried about being untoward, I would have caught that and never let it send like that. LOL.

Good luck with the manuscripts, man. So many people dream, so few see it through.

While I like Edwards, his 1st catch was at the end of regulation!  Why ignore him all game and then target him 9 times when the game is on the line?  I am not sure I trust him yet, especially with Balt Def taking injuries. 
The answer lies within your question.

Who did he go to when the game was on the line?

While I like Edwards, his 1st catch was at the end of regulation!  Why ignore him all game and then target him 9 times when the game is on the line?  I am not sure I trust him yet, especially with Balt Def taking injuries. 
The answer lies within your question.

Who did he go to when the game was on the line?
Yes, maybe, just maybe, Carr has found another option he can go to without mercilessly forcing it to Waller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, maybe, just maybe, Carr has found another option he can go to without mercilessly forcing it to Waller.
Yeah, I'm just a sofa guru but Carr doesn't show me much in terms of understanding nuances of his position. Laser focus on a single receiver does him no favors. It's like the QB who doesn't use his eyes or use pumps to move a safety out of position. Waller may well be good enough to get 12 receptions on 20 targets in double/triple focused coverage, but he shouldn't have to be. Making a defense account for other possible targets makes everyone better and more dangerous.

Aside from the 19 targets to Waller and then 9 targets for Renfrow, when it was crunch time = Zay Jones for the TD.  

B Edwards was an "after thought" in Carr's mind or vision. 
From my understanding that last TD was a called play ,they had a hunch the Ravens would blitz and were ready for it. The plays at the end were all Edwards,just saying

B Edwards was an "after thought" in Carr's mind or vision. 
It was definitely mind. JMHO, I don't think Carr uses vision... he predetermines pre-snap where he is 100% going. Otherwise you can't explain the one time he missed Waller running uncovered down the field after targeting him exclusively in double coverage.

It was definitely mind. JMHO, I don't think Carr uses vision... he predetermines pre-snap where he is 100% going. Otherwise you can't explain the one time he missed Waller running uncovered down the field after targeting him exclusively in double coverage.
Carr is a good QB but is not great.   He misses plenty of open WRs every game.   No QB is going to see it all but Carr seems to miss more than a great QB should.  

Carr is a good QB but is not great.   He misses plenty of open WRs every game.   No QB is going to see it all but Carr seems to miss more than a great QB should.  
Yeah, I agree it's going to happen to everyone. It's a unique skill being able to view options and pick the best. After seeing him repeatedly target Waller in double coverage though, my impression was Carr predetermines where he's going regardless of coverage.

too many mouths to feed for this guy to be fantasy relevant.  regret taking a flier on him.
Considering the 2 called back TDs and the fact that Carr is leading the NFL in yards, I am happy to wait and see more. I am not very worried about Renfrow. He's been super efficient pulling in 8 of his 9 targets for 121 plus the 2 narrowly missed TDs. I like his changes to see more opportunity. 

Bryan Edwards caught 3-of-5 targets for 89 yards in Las Vegas' Week 3 overtime win against the Dolphins.

Edwards had one reception headed into overtime but ran himself open for a 34- and 32-yard catch on Las Vegas' final two drives, allowing Peyton Barber (23/111/1) to grind out a 27-yard run on the ensuing play and, eventually, put the Raiders in position to kick the game-winning field goal. Edwards' five targets, matching his career-high from Week 1, finished tied with Barber for fifth on the team as the sophomore continued making more of an impact on the field than in fantasy lineups. He can stay glued to benches/waiver wires for that very reason in Week 4 against the Chargers.

If the Raiders started their games in overtime, he'd be a stud. 

He's one of those purgatory guys - hard to start because there are too many mouths to feed in the passing game, but seemingly offers enough upside to not want to drop.

If the Raiders started their games in overtime, he'd be a stud. 
Or, maybe if they used him earlier in games they would not need to be in overtimes.
Maybe, but as mentioned, there are a lot of mouths to feed in that offense. Carr seems to be doing a much better job the past few weeks at spreading it out and not force feeding Waller. They seem to design a few plays a game to take advantage of Ruggs' speed, and maybe Renfrow just does a better job at getting open on a regular basis.

Maybe, but as mentioned, there are a lot of mouths to feed in that offense. Carr seems to be doing a much better job the past few weeks at spreading it out and not force feeding Waller. They seem to design a few plays a game to take advantage of Ruggs' speed, and maybe Renfrow just does a better job at getting open on a regular basis.
That's a lot of maybe's to explain away the fact a difference making receiver is making 90% of his contributions in overtimes.

I like Edwards and one of his best assets is his contested catch ability.  However, is it because he never gets enough separation in his routes that all of his catches are 'contested'?  I don't have any numbers to back that up, it just seems that way watching him.

Edwards looks great nearly every time he gets a target...the Raiders just aren't really making him a major part of the gameplan and I'm not sure why.

Edwards looks great nearly every time he gets a target...the Raiders just aren't really making him a major part of the gameplan and I'm not sure why.
Seems like the Raiders have a few similarly talented WRs.  Each brings something different to the table and I’m not sure that Edwards should get more targets than Ruggs or Renfrow.   If it’s not broke, why fix it?   

I thought his play down the stretch and OT in the Baltimore game resembled that of a big-time WR. There were some tough pressure-packed catches that were money. I'm looking to acquire him. Made some nice plays in the Miami game as well. He sure looks capable should they need to lean on him a little bit more.

The Raiders have a very strong mix of complimentary WR/TEs now between Waller, Renfrow, Ruggs, Edwards, Moreau, Jones and even Snead. Waller is the main target, Renfrow #2 underneath, Ruggs the field stretcher and all the others make up the #4 or 5 options on most of their passing plays. Edwards has the talent of an NFL alpha WR, but the only one of the big three he could unseat in terms of role is Waller and that's not happening anytime soon sans injury. For now, he gets table scraps and I don't see the formula changing as long as they keep winning games. I do see him making more big plays in crucial moments when the D focuses most on the big three.

The Raiders have a very strong mix of complimentary WR/TEs now between Waller, Renfrow, Ruggs, Edwards, Moreau, Jones and even Snead. Waller is the main target, Renfrow #2 underneath, Ruggs the field stretcher and all the others make up the #4 or 5 options on most of their passing plays. Edwards has the talent of an NFL alpha WR, but the only one of the big three he could unseat in terms of role is Waller and that's not happening anytime soon sans injury. For now, he gets table scraps and I don't see the formula changing as long as they keep winning games. I do see him making more big plays in crucial moments when the D focuses most on the big three.
Surprisingly Renfrow only has 3 more targets than Ruggs on the season 22-19 but, obviously a better catch rate 16-11

Seems like Edwards is going to have to wait until his 2nd contract (presumably with another team) to prove what he can do. 

Seems like Edwards is going to have to wait until his 2nd contract (presumably with another team) to prove what he can do. 

Or any injury to any one of Waller, Renfrow or Ruggs this season or beyond. Or he keeps making huge plays and slowly but surely forces the issue. Don't rely on him as a weekly starter just yet, but don't give up either. He still has three seasons to go, including this one before his rookie deal expires.

Seems like the Raiders have a few similarly talented WRs.  Each brings something different to the table and I’m not sure that Edwards should get more targets than Ruggs or Renfrow.   If it’s not broke, why fix it?   

Ruggs hasn't impressed me and Renfrow is a prototypical possession WR3.

Edwards has some alpha WR1 traits, they just aren't showcasing him.

Ruggs hasn't impressed me and Renfrow is a prototypical possession WR3.

Edwards has some alpha WR1 traits, they just aren't showcasing him.

Ruggs has been very impressive and impactful in his deep threat role this season. He did similar things last year, but was constantly dinged up and never stacked any momentum like he has this season. He's not a prototypical 1a alpha, but he's proving to be exactly what they want him to be, which is a legit threat as a field stretcher, who defenses must respect, which then opens up the underneath routes. Right or wrong, Gruden clearly very much values this role (or he would've drafted CD Lamb), so even though Edwards may pass your eye test more as an alpha WR1, the Raiders already have that role entrenched by Waller. That is who you need to compare Edwards against most for target competition, and less so vs. Renfrow and Ruggs, who each fill their respective roles perfectly and much better than Edwards could in their stead.

TripItUp said:
Ruggs hasn't impressed me

PFF Fantasy Football @PFF_Fantasy

Derek Carr passing 20+ yards downfield

- 96.2 PFF grade (1st)

- 12 completions (1st)

- 371 yards (1st)

PFF Fantasy Football @PFF_Fantasy

Derek Carr passing 20+ yards downfield

- 96.2 PFF grade (1st)

- 12 completions (1st)

- 371 yards (1st)

doesn't surprise me...Ruggs strikes me as a 1 trick pony.  Edwards looks like a Pro Bowl receiver...limited sample size but really like what I've seen from Edwards' limited opportunities...not as impressed with Ruggs.

doesn't surprise me...Ruggs strikes me as a 1 trick pony.  Edwards looks like a Pro Bowl receiver...limited sample size but really like what I've seen from Edwards' limited opportunities...not as impressed with Ruggs.

Everything you said here can be (and I think is) true, and it can still make sense for Ruggs to be featured more due to his one trick being a critically important one to the rest of the offense. As I mentioned before, Edwards' main competition for targets/role isn't Ruggs or Renfrow. It's Waller.

I just traded Ruggs. But I've watched him. He reminds me a ton of Will Fuller's physical profile, so I'll compare the two as shorthand. This is what I have seen of him:

He was very raw coming out of college. It will take him, like Fuller, a few years to develop. He has trouble getting off press, unlike Fuller, so they've lined him up in the slot. When they design plays for him, he's been very, very good this year. His game is to take the top off of defenses and he fulfills that role excellently. He's healthier and more available than Fuller, which might make him somewhat more valuable, though both the deep tracking and intermediate tracking is less refined than Fuller's. 

But unlike Fuller, he has good hands. He attacks the ball at its high point and is a very, very good pass catcher aside from a blip or two his first year. He's a hands guy, unlike Fuller, who is a body guy. 

In short, he's good. He's a dynasty hold and not really a redraft guy. He has his role. His targets have increased from last year, but he's still seeing about six a game. That's about what he will see as long as Waller is the man and Renfrow continues to show that he's a great route runner and is on the same page with Carr. 

Historians from the future will exclusively remember 10/04/2021 as the day Henry Ruggs repeatedly blew the top off the Los Angeles Chargers defense and sent them home crying tears of shame and obeisance.

There’s a Ruggs thread down the hall, folks.

Let’s talk about Edwards here. Do we think he has any chance of consistent targets without a Waller injury? 

Let’s talk about Edwards here. Do we think he has any chance of consistent targets without a Waller injury? 

The last ~10 posts about Ruggs contain/explain the answer to your question about Edwards. 

The guy who I think is the fly in the Edwards target ointment is Renfrow. We need them to not just use Edwards down the field but also on some over the middle chain moving passes. 

The guy who I think is the fly in the Edwards target ointment is Renfrow. We need them to not just use Edwards down the field but also on some over the middle chain moving passes. 
Yeah I agree. I think Waller and Edwards can co exist fine. I don't think Edwards can coexist with Renfrow though. Talking FF here. For NFL purposes it just makes the Raiders better.

Yeah I agree. I think Waller and Edwards can co exist fine. I don't think Edwards can coexist with Renfrow though. Talking FF here. For NFL purposes it just makes the Raiders better.
If he can’t coexist. This means he isn’t an alpha. He will exist or not. My guess is he will begin to accelerate. But, I admit that this is just a gut feel based on film study and zero knowledge of coaching preferences. 

Users who are viewing this thread