What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

2010s Final Rankings

16 pts - Jayrod  - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Andre Iguadola, G Antetokounmpo, Al Horford

15 pts - Frosty  - Rajon Rondo, Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge

14 pts - Instinctive  - Jrue Holiday, Khris Middleton, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Joakim Noah

13 pts - Yo Mama  - Derrick Rose, Klay Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol

12 pts - Scoobus  - Kyle Lowry, Danny Green, Carmelo Anthony, Paul Millsap, Rudy Gobert

11 pts - Mister CIA  - Luka Dončić, DeMar DeRozan, Kevin Durant, Julius Randle, Nenê

10 pts - Doug B  - Steph Curry, Zach Lavine, Paul George, Domantas Sabonis, NIkola Vucevic

9 pts - Wikkidpissah  - Isaiah Thomas, Bradley Beal, Gordon Hayward, Ben Simmons, Karl-Anthony Towns

8 pts - Kev4029  - Mike Conley, JJ Redick, Danilo Galinari, Draymond Green, Nikola Jokic

7 pts - Timschochet  - Kemba Walker, James Harden, Brandon Ingram, Paschal Siakim, Bam Adebayo

6 pts - EYLive  - Kyrie Irving, Victor Oladipo, Rudy Gay, Kristaps Porzingis, Demarcus Cousins

5 pts - Trader Jake - Trae Young, CJ McCollum, Jayson Tatum, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan

4 pts - Gally - Chris Paul, Donovan Mitchell, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Andre Drummond

3 pts - Ilov80s  - John Wall, Devin Booker, Jimmy Butler, Lauri Markkanen, Brook Lopez

2 pts - Higgins  - Russell Westbrook, Buddy Hield, Kyle Korver, Serge Ibaka, Hassan Whiteside

1 pts - Modogg  - Lou Williams, Monta Ellis, Luol Deng, David Lee, Joel Embiid

Damn. I am a crazy person. I honestly can't believe that many people had the Jayrodsquad at the top. Horrible fit across the board. This 10s round really made me feel like people went on pure name value and didn't think through it much. 

2010s Rankings Details

16 - Jayrod  - 13,13,15,15,15,15,16,16,16

15 - Frosty  - 12,12,14,14,14.5,15,16,16,16

14 - Instinctive  - 11,13,14,14,14,15,16,16,16

13 - Yo Mama  - 6,7,10,12,12,13,13,15,15

12 - Scoobus  - 2,3,7,7,12,12,12,14,14.5

11 - Mister CIA  - 3,7,8,9,9,10,11,11,14

10 - Doug B  - 8,8,9,9,9,9,9,10,10

9 - Wikkidpissah  - 6,7,7,7,8,10,10,12,13

8 - Kev4029  - 1,3,4,8,10,11,11,11,13

7 - Timschochet  - 5,5,6,6,7,8,8,8,10

6 - EYLive  - 2,2,2,3,3,9,11,13,14

5 - Trader Jake - 4,4,5,5,5,6,8,9,10

4 - Gally - 2,4,4,4,5,5,7,11,13

3 - Ilov80s  - 1,1,3,3,4,5,6,6,11

2 - Higgins  - 2,2,2,2,3,4,6,6,12

1 - Modogg  - 1,1,1,1,1,1,3,4,5

Combined Standings (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s)

64 - Trader Jake (9, 12, 14, 14, 10, 5)

63 - Yo Mama  (11, 14, 10, 7, 8, 13)

57 - Instinctive  (15, 1, 12, 3, 12, 14)

55 - Jayrod  (4, 15, 13, 1, 6, 16)

55 - Frosty  (14, 6, 4, 12, 4, 15)

54 - Kev4029  (13, 11, 1, 10, 11, 8 )

52 - Wikkidpissah  (8, 9, 16, 9, 1, 9)

51 - Scoobus  (6, 3, 6, 8, 16, 12)

49 - Gally (10, 10, 5, 5, 15, 4)

49 - Doug B  (5, 7, 11, 11, 5, 10)

47 - Timschochet  (12, 8, 7, 6, 7, 7)

47 - Mister CIA  (2, 2, 8, 15, 9, 11)

45 - Ilov80s  (16, 5, 15, 4, 2, 3)

45 - EYLive  (7, 13, 3, 2, 14, 6)

44 - Higgins  (1, 16, 9, 13, 3, 2)

39 - Modogg  (3, 4, 2, 16, 13, 1)

Congrats to regular season champ Trader Jake!!!

Alright I promised write-ups also. Here they are:

Tier One - well rounded and talented teams that don't really have any holes

16. Instinctive - the most well rounded and best shooting team, with fantastic defense. Competitor for best in show. Built like Scoob's team with better talent at 3 spots (SG/SF/PF), a near miss at C, and a loss at PG. I think I've obviously put some rose-colored glasses on in writeups to try and get my teams some cred, but have almost always been within a couple of the final rank. This may be the best constructed fit team, talent agnostic, in the draft.

Now for my first ever tie in the rankings. I just kept going back and forth and back and forth.

14.5.  Scoobus and Frostillicus

Here's the thing: One team has LeBron, shooting at the bigs and wing, 3 majorly negative defenders. One team has 4 plus defenders, none of whom is a hole on offense, but one of whom is Melo. Definitely hoping for Hoodie Melo here, but I'm afraid you're likely to get Alpha Melo because he's the best player on this team. Fortunately, alpha Melo was pretty damn good too, especially in Denver and early on in NY. I love Green and Lowry, so I'm giving you a pretty big edge at every spot except LeBron, who is a big edge of his own. I really like the team construct, and think if Frosty had built a team more cohesively like this it could have been a runaway over everyone.

I couldn't decide. Sorry.

Tier Two - talented teams with flaws

13. Jayrod - Dame is the only guy on this team remotely close to a plus shooter. You think teams have sucked into the paint against Giannis on the Bucks? Wait til you see what happens here. Praying for Dame to carry it through. Tons of problems offensively that I think are being dismissed, and a case where I'd have built the team around Giannis at Center and put any number of great complimentary PFs next to him instead. If I drafted all the SFs taken in this decade, I'd have Iguodala 11th, and his fit on this squad makes it worse. 🔥 All that said, there is SO MUCH TALENT here that I can't possibly justify it going much lower, even though a team with Iguodala still somehow has an astronically high "need the ball in my hand" rate, I think they'll mostly figure it out, leaving them the tops of the remaining squads.

12. Yo Mama - another super talented team with Rose, Gasol, AD, and Klay, and Ariza makes a great glue guy (he alone over Iguodala may have bumped up Jayrod's team to the next tier) to bring them together. Flaw? Going to struggle for creation against anyone who can defend Rose (and there are some great wing defenders available with no other wing threats to suck them away). Tons of defense down low and on the wings to cover for Rose, and some great shooting to cover for Rose also. Should be good in transition and in half court.

11. Kev - talented, but not enough defense for me, as Draymond the only great defender and Conley the only other positive. Fit is pretty good here too, with shooting to spot up around a Conley/Jokic dance, plenty of spacing for the big fella even with Green's non-presence, and really high basketball IQ from all but Gallinari (IMO). I'd be excited to watch this team lose in the conference semi's of our draft every year, kind of reminding me of the 7 seconds or less Suns in a lot of ways.

10. Wikkidpissah - Another defensive issue, with weakness at C, PG. Hawyard and Beal are pretty neutral, and Simmons is an absolute monster. Offensively, Simmons is the only weak spot and covered great by all the other four. Hayward shares the ball and is great at everything on offense. Overall, talent level lags the top tier and the solid team construction overcomes the defensive issues for me to put this squad up into the 10 spot.

Third Tier: All have at least one sizable hole to me, be it longevity, fit, a guy in the wrong position, etc. Really difficult tier for me to find separation between the teams, I randomly moved them all around a couple times and then re-evaluated, and this was kind of where I kept ending up near

9. Doug B - Steph Curry is a freakin beast! He's brought down somewhat by Pandemic P and a lack of interior defense or other passing talent, or this team could have been great. Doug appeared not to invest much draft capital here, so I think this is probably a win for ranking. Pretty sure this team can do some track meets and might be the most involved in the most fun games.

8. Timschochet - It all starts with Harden, one of the best players of the decade and one of the best offensive players ever. 2nd best SG of all time? I think so. Best of the 10s too. Ingram and Siakam are great, but dinged for longevity. Same with Adebayo. Kemba would be super fun at the point, and this decade is low key stacked at the position. All in all, it grades out pretty middle of the road across the board for me.

7. Mister CIA - there's probably some homerism for Luka here. But his 3 seasons under the belt already put him in absolutely elite territory, and I'm the guy who drafted Micheal Ray and Petrovic and Noah, so at least I'm consistent. Kevin Durant is my 4th highest rated player of the decade, behind LeBron, Kawhi, and Dirk (who has more all-NBAs and more all-stars and they each have an MVP as well as the same number of all-defensive appearances, by the way). If this team has a great center, it would shoot up the rankings, because fit is really solid. All the players are solid. No giant gaping weaknesses after Nene, should have spacing. But Luka and Randle being so short-lived and DeRozan as a good but not great SG for the era means KD can only carry this squad to a 7.

6. Trader Jake - Well this team will be damn fun out there running. It's reminiscent of the early Lob City Clippers in many ways with its frontcourt as well. The problem keeping this team down? They're going to be run through on defense. It cannot stop anybody. Not a chance. Young has been the single worst defender in the NBA for his career, Blake was never good, McCollum isn't good, and Tatum seems to have been over it since his first or second season. Will be some interesting ball issues too with Tatum/McCollum/Young/Blake all wanting the ball in their hands. Worth noting a penalty, like with Luka, for both Tatum and Young here.

5. ILov80s - WTF is that Markkanen pick? There are tons of undrafted guys who could probably have lifted this team a spot or two. Wall-Booker-Butler would be super fun, and we've seen both Jimmy and Booker do great with real PGs in their careers. Brook can space out, can do a good job at the rim, and had years as a 20 ppg guy in his own right. Clearly no ego about it, as MIL time demonstrates. Markkanen can shoot at least, but just weird choice with no accolades or longevity or real standout skills to bring to the table. Team will definitely score, and will definitely get steals, and perhaps can hold their own enough on D to get some W's. Overall, pretty well-built, but may have the worst player chosen in the decade on the team and no real standouts defensively.

Bottom Tier: These teams have major glaring weaknesses, big longevity issues, and/or have guys so out of position I didn't think it would work

4. Gally - Chris Paul is awesome! He's brought down...see where I'm going here? Worst positional infringements here of the decade, but enough talent to avoid my wtf tier. Josh Smith is not good at SF in the 10s, he's a PF. Al Jefferson is not a PF, he's a C. Mitchell is getting there on longevity but still gets dinged. After typing this out and realizing my love for CP3 could not keep them up higher, I'm bumped this team done another slot. I think it would play absolutely atrociously from a fit perspective. Mitchell and Paul both want the ball. 3 guys REALLY can't shoot, like at all. 2 guys are turnstyles, Drummond is atrocious offensively against these other teams (imagine if Shaq also couldn't overpower anyone or had any touch around the rim and was somehow also a worse FT shooter and also worse on defense?). Literally moved the team down another spot after continuing to evaluate. Sorry Gally. Lots of these guys have talent and all should be on 2010s teams, but the fit is horrid on one together. Even Paul can't fix it. I started the write-up having settled on this squad's talent near the top of the third tier, and ended bumping it all the way down to a different tier. Some things matter in team building, like playing defense, having five guys who fit positionally, having them fit at positions they actually played, having at least some accolades across the decade, having more than 2 guys who could hit the ocean from a boat with their jumper, etc.

3. EYLive - Another squad with basically no defense (Dipo/KP, both of whom seem to have trouble doing so consistently or without injury), and two guys out of position in a major way for the era in Gay and KP, a 4 and 5 respectively, playing alongside Demarcus. Ok shooting, ok defense, never know when Kyrie might bail on the team...offense should be pretty fun to watch with Irving and these guys around, but just came out as a pretty meh overall mixture. Kyrie might be the most overrated PG every by shoe sales figures. There are just too many immensely talented teams ahead, especially if you're going to have multiple guys majorly out of position.

2. Higgins - I mean Westbrook is good. Korver can shoot. But this team doesn't touch the star power of even the other bottom half squads, has almost zero accolades, and in spite of Whiteside's block numbers the guy was awful defensively. So there's 1 plus defender in Ibaka, 2 great shooters, and that's about it. This team's going to get demolished by everyone. Even my worst ranked squad might defeat this one on the back of Embiid. 

1. Modogg - Look, I love Embiid. The trash talk and the dominance? Amazing. David Lee was actually really good for a while too, and Luol Deng is one of the only 4 guys I've ever owned a jersey for (Utah DWill, Dirk, Luka, in case you didn't care at all). But this backcourt is so far and away the worst of the decade it's almost funny, but it just ends up being sad. Embiid and Deng will not save this crew on defense. Even with the out of position guys, Lee is the worst defending PF of all 16. Same for both Monta and Lou, neither of whom is a real PG who can run an offense. Embiid may never get the ball to do anything fun anyway.

2010s Rankings, continued

3rd place - 14 points

Instinctive  - Jrue Holiday, Khris Middleton, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Joakim Noah

Average Score: 14.33   Best: 16   Worst: 11

2nd place - 15 points

Frosty  - Rajon Rondo, Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Kevin Love, LaMarcus Aldridge

Average Score: 14.39   Best: 16   Worst: 12

1st place - 16 points

Jayrod  - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Andre Iguadola, G Antetokounmpo, Al Horford

Average Score: 14.89   Best: 16   Worst: 13
My clear top 3, although not in that order.

ETA: Dang those scores are razor close.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost caught Trader Jake but just came up short. 
The top two finishers went with a consistently good strategy, and the next 3 all went for boom and bust cycles.

My gut says the latter group has a better shot at the postseason and therefore overall crowns, but it's anyone's game.

The top two finishers went with a consistently good strategy, and the next 3 all went for boom and bust cycles.

My gut says the latter group has a better shot at the postseason and therefore overall crowns, but it's anyone's game.
Yeah, wish I would have pushed to close out one of my top teams earlier for the best in show since it counts double. 

Another interesting thing I noticed - 3 of the bottom 4 teams all had a 16-point team. 

The back of my mind keeps saying that if I took Rudy Gobert over Marques Johnson I'd have the best in show and the best 2010s team. Any comments to tell me it wouldn't have nattered or that it definitely would have been a difference maker? I only need to turn that 11 and a 13 into 15/16 scores.

5. ILov80s - WTF is that Markkanen pick? There are tons of undrafted guys who could probably have lifted this team a spot or two. Wall-Booker-Butler would be super fun, and we've seen both Jimmy and Booker do great with real PGs in their careers. Brook can space out, can do a good job at the rim, and had years as a 20 ppg guy in his own right. Clearly no ego about it, as MIL time demonstrates. Markkanen can shoot at least, but just weird choice with no accolades or longevity or real standout skills to bring to the table. Team will definitely score, and will definitely get steals, and perhaps can hold their own enough on D to get some W's. Overall, pretty well-built, but may have the worst player chosen in the decade on the team and no real standouts defensively.
I don't know anything about the modern NBA.  I maybe had him somewhat confused with Porizingas. Worst pick of the draft easily. He is the type of player I wanted but I just don't really know what I am doing there. 

I left after seeing where Team Gally finished for the decade.  That's blasphemous.  That team should have at least been at the top of that tier.   We would have easily beaten those other three teams.
I think you finished right where I ranked you. In the running for worst constructed fit of any team in the draft man.

ETA: would love to know which 3 you think your squad topples though

So for the best in show and pantheon voting, should I remove the top and bottom scores for each team to remove any wacky outliers (and homerism)?

4. Gally - Chris Paul is awesome! He's brought down...see where I'm going here? Worst positional infringements here of the decade, but enough talent to avoid my wtf tier. Josh Smith is not good at SF in the 10s, he's a PF. Al Jefferson is not a PF, he's a C. Mitchell is getting there on longevity but still gets dinged. After typing this out and realizing my love for CP3 could not keep them up higher, I'm bumped this team done another slot. I think it would play absolutely atrociously from a fit perspective. Mitchell and Paul both want the ball. 3 guys REALLY can't shoot, like at all. 2 guys are turnstyles, Drummond is atrocious offensively against these other teams (imagine if Shaq also couldn't overpower anyone or had any touch around the rim and was somehow also a worse FT shooter and also worse on defense?). Literally moved the team down another spot after continuing to evaluate. Sorry Gally. Lots of these guys have talent and all should be on 2010s teams, but the fit is horrid on one together. Even Paul can't fix it. I started the write-up having settled on this squad's talent near the top of the third tier, and ended bumping it all the way down to a different tier. Some things matter in team building, like playing defense, having five guys who fit positionally, having them fit at positions they actually played, having at least some accolades across the decade, having more than 2 guys who could hit the ocean from a boat with their jumper, etc.
Thanks for the write up but I totally see things differently.  Paul and Mitchell can keep things honest from the outside.  Jefferson is a great post player, Drummond doesn't have to anything but P&R with Paul.  Josh Smith can just stay out of the way.  Smith was chosen as a defender primarily and he can guard the wings.  It's not a typical 2010's build of total spread and shoot 3's but it will give people problems with a little more older school approach (which Paul is more of an older school PG so it fits).  

To each there own but I disagree with the low ranking.  I am not saying it is top 5 by any means but I felt it should have been around 10th.  I thought it was better than all the other teams in the final scoring tier I was in.  

Also updated my pantheon team and replaced Streve Francis with Horry.  

I'm stumped trying to decide between Jerry Lucas and Horace Grant for the PF position.  Lucas, for now.

Thanks for the write up but I totally see things differently.  Paul and Mitchell can keep things honest from the outside.  Jefferson is a great post player, Drummond doesn't have to anything but P&R with Paul.  Josh Smith can just stay out of the way.  Smith was chosen as a defender primarily and he can guard the wings.  It's not a typical 2010's build of total spread and shoot 3's but it will give people problems with a little more older school approach (which Paul is more of an older school PG so it fits).  

To each there own but I disagree with the low ranking.  I am not saying it is top 5 by any means but I felt it should have been around 10th.  I thought it was better than all the other teams in the final scoring tier I was in.  
Three guys can only score within 6 feet of the basket. In the 2010s. What makes you think they'll be able to stay out of the way? Remember when the Grit n Grind Grizzlies met their demise at the hands of the idea that "hey we could just ignore Tony Allen and let him shoot"?

Smith couldn't guard the wings. He's too slow side to side, though a fantastic athlete vertically. It wouldn't give any sophisticated defensive tactician any issues, at all. Drummond can't finish the pick and roll if the pick action always has help AND the roll always has a hard double, as opposed to a bump and rotation. It's among the easiest teams to defend in the whole draft. You don't even have to have good defenders. It would be one of the worst scoring teams of the entire decade in actual seasons, much less in an all-time draft. It has no cohesiveness and 3 of the guys suck on defense. I started my rankings with you at 8 right behind Doug and every time I thought which team would win I had to bump it down for these reasons.

It would appear the vast majority felt the same way.

The other three in my tier from the final scoring.
Jake's team shoots better, defends better, passes better, and fits better - though you do have the best player, he has the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th best guys. It's easy to see his team stop yours even with massive liability Young, and I don't see how yours does the same. They'll get demolished by Young/Blake and Young/Jordan PnRs. His 4th best shooter is better than your 3rd best too.

Tim's team works like Magic. Harden will absolutely destroy your guards. Ingram and Siakam have length to bother passing lanes and the free ability for at least one to just run around the court and ignore Smith at all times, mitigating the power of Paul and Mitchell yet again. Bam is a great outlet and passer and a better defender than anyone on your team after Paul, who can only have so much impact at 6 foot nothing.

EY's team is weird and poorly constructed too, but at least KP is a stretch who can play a 3 role on offense. Cousins is worlds ahead of your bigs too - he'll put either one in the bucket at will. This is probably your best argument for a team you can beat though, because that Gay at 3, KP 4, Cousins 5 lineup with Kyrie at the 1 will get absolutely roasted on defense quite often. Only problem is the team they'll get roasted by least is yours.

2010s Rankings, continued

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES DIVISION

Kaaaaahhnnnn!!!!!  The first of our meme teams for the decade.  The T-wolves never recovered from the Kevin Garnett trade in 2007.   In 2009, the franchise hired David Kahn as president of basketball ops and followed that up by signing Kurt Rambis to a four year deal to be their head coach – ouch!  Also that year, they famously picked not one, but two PGs ahead of Steph Curry (and one of those was Jonny Flynn) – double ouch!  The 2010 draft brought Wesley Johnson ahead of guys like DeMarcus Cousins, Gordon Hayward, and Paul George.  I’d go on, but Frosty is about to reach through my phone screen Ring-style and choke me out.  Minnesota has had an amazing .348 winning % since 2010 and only made the playoffs one year in that span.

The teams in this tier shouldn’t have had Kahn in charge of their drafting in this decade either.

16th place - 1 point

Modogg  - Lou Williams, Monta Ellis, Luol Deng, David Lee, Joel Embiid

Average Score: 2.00   Best: 5   Worst: 1

15th place - 2 points

Higgins  - Russell Westbrook, Buddy Hield, Kyle Korver, Serge Ibaka, Hassan Whiteside

Average Score: 4.33   Best: 12   Worst: 2

14th place - 3 points

Ilov80s  - John Wall, Devin Booker, Jimmy Butler, Lauri Markkanen, Brook Lopez

Average Score: 4.44   Best: 11   Worst: 1
:lmao:  MVP of the league, and we are saying they are the worst team in the division. Ok...........

Really going to rank a team with Whiteside and Brook Lopez above a team with Embiid? Heild, Markanen and Korver, better than Deng and All-NBA David Lee? 

Tier One - well rounded and talented teams that don't really have any holes

16. Instinctive - the most well rounded and best shooting team, with fantastic defense. Competitor for best in show. Built like Scoob's team with better talent at 3 spots (SG/SF/PF), a near miss at C, and a loss at PG. I think I've obviously put some rose-colored glasses on in writeups to try and get my teams some cred, but have almost always been within a couple of the final rank. This may be the best constructed fit team, talent agnostic, in the draft.

Now for my first ever tie in the rankings. I just kept going back and forth and back and forth.

14.5.  Scoobus and Frostillicus

Here's the thing: One team has LeBron, shooting at the bigs and wing, 3 majorly negative defenders. One team has 4 plus defenders, none of whom is a hole on offense, but one of whom is Melo. Definitely hoping for Hoodie Melo here, but I'm afraid you're likely to get Alpha Melo because he's the best player on this team. Fortunately, alpha Melo was pretty damn good too, especially in Denver and early on in NY. I love Green and Lowry, so I'm giving you a pretty big edge at every spot except LeBron, who is a big edge of his own. I really like the team construct, and think if Frosty had built a team more cohesively like this it could have been a runaway over everyone.

I couldn't decide. Sorry.

Tier Two - talented teams with flaws

13. Jayrod - Dame is the only guy on this team remotely close to a plus shooter. You think teams have sucked into the paint against Giannis on the Bucks? Wait til you see what happens here. Praying for Dame to carry it through. Tons of problems offensively that I think are being dismissed, and a case where I'd have built the team around Giannis at Center and put any number of great complimentary PFs next to him instead. If I drafted all the SFs taken in this decade, I'd have Iguodala 11th, and his fit on this squad makes it worse. 🔥 All that said, there is SO MUCH TALENT here that I can't possibly justify it going much lower, even though a team with Iguodala still somehow has an astronically high "need the ball in my hand" rate, I think they'll mostly figure it out, leaving them the tops of the remaining squads.

12. Yo Mama - another super talented team with Rose, Gasol, AD, and Klay, and Ariza makes a great glue guy (he alone over Iguodala may have bumped up Jayrod's team to the next tier) to bring them together. Flaw? Going to struggle for creation against anyone who can defend Rose (and there are some great wing defenders available with no other wing threats to suck them away). Tons of defense down low and on the wings to cover for Rose, and some great shooting to cover for Rose also. Should be good in transition and in half court.

11. Kev - talented, but not enough defense for me, as Draymond the only great defender and Conley the only other positive. Fit is pretty good here too, with shooting to spot up around a Conley/Jokic dance, plenty of spacing for the big fella even with Green's non-presence, and really high basketball IQ from all but Gallinari (IMO). I'd be excited to watch this team lose in the conference semi's of our draft every year, kind of reminding me of the 7 seconds or less Suns in a lot of ways.

10. Wikkidpissah - Another defensive issue, with weakness at C, PG. Hawyard and Beal are pretty neutral, and Simmons is an absolute monster. Offensively, Simmons is the only weak spot and covered great by all the other four. Hayward shares the ball and is great at everything on offense. Overall, talent level lags the top tier and the solid team construction overcomes the defensive issues for me to put this squad up into the 10 spot.

Third Tier: All have at least one sizable hole to me, be it longevity, fit, a guy in the wrong position, etc. Really difficult tier for me to find separation between the teams, I randomly moved them all around a couple times and then re-evaluated, and this was kind of where I kept ending up near

9. Doug B - Steph Curry is a freakin beast! He's brought down somewhat by Pandemic P and a lack of interior defense or other passing talent, or this team could have been great. Doug appeared not to invest much draft capital here, so I think this is probably a win for ranking. Pretty sure this team can do some track meets and might be the most involved in the most fun games.

8. Timschochet - It all starts with Harden, one of the best players of the decade and one of the best offensive players ever. 2nd best SG of all time? I think so. Best of the 10s too. Ingram and Siakam are great, but dinged for longevity. Same with Adebayo. Kemba would be super fun at the point, and this decade is low key stacked at the position. All in all, it grades out pretty middle of the road across the board for me.

7. Mister CIA - there's probably some homerism for Luka here. But his 3 seasons under the belt already put him in absolutely elite territory, and I'm the guy who drafted Micheal Ray and Petrovic and Noah, so at least I'm consistent. Kevin Durant is my 4th highest rated player of the decade, behind LeBron, Kawhi, and Dirk (who has more all-NBAs and more all-stars and they each have an MVP as well as the same number of all-defensive appearances, by the way). If this team has a great center, it would shoot up the rankings, because fit is really solid. All the players are solid. No giant gaping weaknesses after Nene, should have spacing. But Luka and Randle being so short-lived and DeRozan as a good but not great SG for the era means KD can only carry this squad to a 7.

6. Trader Jake - Well this team will be damn fun out there running. It's reminiscent of the early Lob City Clippers in many ways with its frontcourt as well. The problem keeping this team down? They're going to be run through on defense. It cannot stop anybody. Not a chance. Young has been the single worst defender in the NBA for his career, Blake was never good, McCollum isn't good, and Tatum seems to have been over it since his first or second season. Will be some interesting ball issues too with Tatum/McCollum/Young/Blake all wanting the ball in their hands. Worth noting a penalty, like with Luka, for both Tatum and Young here.

Bottom Tier: These teams have major glaring weaknesses, big longevity issues, and/or have guys so out of position I didn't think it would work

3. EYLive - Another squad with basically no defense (Dipo/KP, both of whom seem to have trouble doing so consistently or without injury), and two guys out of position in a major way for the era in Gay and KP, a 4 and 5 respectively, playing alongside Demarcus. Ok shooting, ok defense, never know when Kyrie might bail on the team...offense should be pretty fun to watch with Irving and these guys around, but just came out as a pretty meh overall mixture. Kyrie might be the most overrated PG every by shoe sales figures. There are just too many immensely talented teams ahead, especially if you're going to have multiple guys majorly out of position.

2. Higgins - I mean Westbrook is good. Korver can shoot. But this team doesn't touch the star power of even the other bottom half squads, has almost zero accolades, and in spite of Whiteside's block numbers the guy was awful defensively. So there's 1 plus defender in Ibaka, 2 great shooters, and that's about it. This team's going to get demolished by everyone. Even my worst ranked squad might defeat this one on the back of Embiid. 

1. Modogg - Look, I love Embiid. The trash talk and the dominance? Amazing. David Lee was actually really good for a while too, and Luol Deng is one of the only 4 guys I've ever owned a jersey for (Utah DWill, Dirk, Luka, in case you didn't care at all). But this backcourt is so far and away the worst of the decade it's almost funny, but it just ends up being sad. Embiid and Deng will not save this crew on defense. Even with the out of position guys, Lee is the worst defending PF of all 16. Same for both Monta and Lou, neither of whom is a real PG who can run an offense. Embiid may never get the ball to do anything fun anyway.
Not sure why you think a backcourt of Holiday and Middleton is good enough to pull off the #1 spot?  They are playing with the reigning 2 time MVP & DPOY on their team this season are sitting at 3rd in the East.  I had Jrue near the bottom of my PG rankings and Middleton was in the middle of a weak SG group.  Noah had a good run as a defender and was a good passer, but for this contest, he was below average even with a DPOY.  Dirk and Kawhi are great, but they aren't that much better than everyone else's best.  Dirk was my #1 PF, but Kawhi is the #3 SF.

I really think you are overvaluing 3-pt shooting to the detriment of everything else here.

:lmao:  MVP of the league, and we are saying they are the worst team in the division. Ok...........

Really going to rank a team with Whiteside and Brook Lopez above a team with Embiid? Heild, Markanen and Korver, better than Deng and All-NBA David Lee? 
I mean to be fair Embiid isn't actually (and won't be) an MVP and Westbrook is. 

Three guys can only score within 6 feet of the basket. In the 2010s. What makes you think they'll be able to stay out of the way? Remember when the Grit n Grind Grizzlies met their demise at the hands of the idea that "hey we could just ignore Tony Allen and let him shoot"?

Smith couldn't guard the wings. He's too slow side to side, though a fantastic athlete. It wouldn't give any sophisticated defensive tactician any issues, at all. Drummond can't finish the pick and roll if the pick action always has help AND the roll always has a hard double, as opposed to a bump and rotation. It's among the easiest teams to defend in the whole draft. You don't even have to have good defenders. It would be one of the worst scoring teams of the entire decade in actual seasons, much less in an all-time draft. It has no cohesiveness and 3 of the guys suck on defense. I started my rankings with you at 8 right behind Doug and every time I thought which team would win I had to bump it down for these reasons.

It would appear the vast majority felt the same way.
Ok.  I wish we could actually have these teams play.  It would be interesting to watch.....I appreciate your take.  I can see a lot of it but I don't think it would be that bad.  I wish they could play.

I mean to be fair Embiid isn't actually (and won't be) an MVP and Westbrook is. 
i would say Westbrook is good. Embiid may miss MVP because he landed on a guy's foot, and LeBron opted to push him mid-air with both hands so he didn't get dunked on by Embiid. I think Jokic is a great candidate too, but i think NBA players should be looked at with both sides of the ball, and comparing Embiid's defense to Jokic's is apples and oranges

That is the NBA we live in these days.....

Not sure why you think a backcourt of Holiday and Middleton is good enough to pull off the #1 spot?  They are playing with the reigning 2 time MVP & DPOY on their team this season are sitting at 3rd in the East.  I had Jrue near the bottom of my PG rankings and Middleton was in the middle of a weak SG group.  Noah had a good run as a defender and was a good passer, but for this contest, he was below average even with a DPOY.  Dirk and Kawhi are great, but they aren't that much better than everyone else's best.  Dirk was my #1 PF, but Kawhi is the #3 SF.

I really think you are overvaluing 3-pt shooting to the detriment of everything else here.
A lot of my criticisms of Gally's team apply to yours, it's just that yours has enough talent to almost completely overcome all of them. Jrue is definitely the weak spot, but Noah was a top 5 C in the decade (I have him after Jokic, Gasol, Gobert, and then behind Horford due to longevity). Middleton in the middle (nice I see what you did there) is probably about right to me too (Harden, Wade, Booker, Beal, Klay...then I want to go Middleton for Defense over McCollum, DeRozan, and Iso Joe - so I guess I have him at 6). 

The team concept just fits perfectly. No hole exists that the other 4 guys don't all cover excellently.

i have absolutely no idea how to do my pantheon team now seeing how the judging has seemed to be kind of whacky. 

Checking basketball reference, they have Hal Greer is 59th for top 500 of all time, and he has a lot of value. but i am nervous putting him anywhere considering the judging of this has been not seeing some of these players who weren't in largest markets or popular players for everyone......

Might take a day or 2 before pantheon team is finalized, we aren't judging until mid-week next week for pantheon right?

i would say Westbrook is good. Embiid may miss MVP because he landed on a guy's foot, and LeBron opted to push him mid-air with both hands so he didn't get dunked on by Embiid. I think Jokic is a great candidate too, but i think NBA players should be looked at with both sides of the ball, and comparing Embiid's defense to Jokic's is apples and oranges

That is the NBA we live in these days.....
That's the NBA we've always lived in. 5 years from now people won't remember that a given play might have been Embiid's downfall, they'll remember a guy who missed 20 games or more every year missed 20 games or more again.

I left after seeing where Team Gally finished for the decade.  That's blasphemous.  That team should have at least been at the top of that tier.   We would have easily beaten those other three teams.
for what it is worth i didn't get deadline before submitting my line-up, but i had you at 6th overall.

i had Doug B 1

INstinctive 2

Frosty 3

timschochet 4

Yo Mama 5 

Gally 6

That's the NBA we've always lived in. 5 years from now people won't remember that a given play might have been Embiid's downfall, they'll remember a guy who missed 20 games or more every year missed 20 games or more again.
we will see, might be right. but really can't be under-stated how little organized basketball Embiid had played before the NBA. i think he first was introduced to basketball when he was 14. No reason to think that Embiid doesn't continue dominance for the next 5 years and shadows everyone else. 

I love how much love AD gets, and looking at all of the match-ups between AD and Embiid. the guy is level's above majority of his peers, and would probably win more defensive awards if he wasn't as good offensively. 

and the injuries are freak injuries, so hopefully ages pretty well into his early 30s

we will see, might be right. but really can't be under-stated how little organized basketball Embiid had played before the NBA. i think he first was introduced to basketball when he was 14. No reason to think that Embiid doesn't continue dominance for the next 5 years and shadows everyone else. 

I love how much love AD gets, and looking at all of the match-ups between AD and Embiid. the guy is level's above majority of his peers, and would probably win more defensive awards if he wasn't as good offensively. 

and the injuries are freak injuries, so hopefully ages pretty well into his early 30s
You have the strongest beer goggles ever. 

Another interesting thing I noticed - 3 of the bottom 4 teams all had a 16-point team. 
I think those teams over invested in 1 area and it probably hurt them in others. However, I did that intentionally with the 2x and 3x weighted categories in mind. I hope I can make ground back up in the bonus rounds. 

i have absolutely no idea how to do my pantheon team now seeing how the judging has seemed to be kind of whacky. 

Checking basketball reference, they have Hal Greer is 59th for top 500 of all time, and he has a lot of value. but i am nervous putting him anywhere considering the judging of this has been not seeing some of these players who weren't in largest markets or popular players for everyone......

Might take a day or 2 before pantheon team is finalized, we aren't judging until mid-week next week for pantheon right?
Yeah, no pantheon for a week. I’ll post the timing here in a few. 

Combined Standings (60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s)

64 - Trader Jake (9, 12, 14, 14, 10, 5)

63 - Yo Mama  (11, 14, 10, 7, 8, 13)

57 - Instinctive  (15, 1, 12, 3, 12, 14)

55 - Jayrod  (4, 15, 13, 1, 6, 16)

55 - Frosty  (14, 6, 4, 12, 4, 15)

54 - Kev4029  (13, 11, 1, 10, 11, 8 )

52 - Wikkidpissah  (8, 9, 16, 9, 1, 9)

51 - Scoobus  (6, 3, 6, 8, 16, 12)

49 - Gally (10, 10, 5, 5, 15, 4)

49 - Doug B  (5, 7, 11, 11, 5, 10)

47 - Timschochet  (12, 8, 7, 6, 7, 7)

47 - Mister CIA  (2, 2, 8, 15, 9, 11)

45 - Ilov80s  (16, 5, 15, 4, 2, 3)

45 - EYLive  (7, 13, 3, 2, 14, 6)

44 - Higgins  (1, 16, 9, 13, 3, 2)

39 - Modogg  (3, 4, 2, 16, 13, 1)

Congrats to regular season champ Trader Jake!!!
Alternatively:

Code:
Ilov80s: 		1 Gold, 1 Silver
Jayrod: 		1 Gold, 1 Bronze
Wikkidpissah: 		1 Gold
Scoobus:    		1 Gold
Higgins: 		1 Gold
Modogg:			1 Gold
Instinctive: 		1 Silver, 1 Bronze
Frosty:			1 Silver, 1 Bronze
Gally:			1 Silver
Mister CIA:		1 Silver
Trader Jake: 		2 Bronze
Yo Mama: 		1 Bronze
EYLive:			1 Bronze
Kev4029:
Doug B:
Timschochet:

Alternatively:

Ilov80s: 1 Gold, 1 Silver
Jayrod: 1 Gold, 1 Bronze
Wikkidpissah: 1 Gold
Scoobus: 1 Gold
Higgins: 1 Gold
Modogg: 1 Gold
Instinctive: 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
Frosty: 1 Silver, 1 Bronze
Gally: 1 Silver
Mister CIA: 1 Silver
Trader Jake: 2 Bronze
Yo Mama: 1 Bronze
EYLive: 1 Bronze
Kev4029:
Doug B:
Timschochet:

Jayrod is tied for first with 1 gold and 1 silver, but either I'm too stupid to figure out how to edit "code" tags, or the board software lacks a little.

My biggest mistake was taking Jimmy Butler when Willis Reed was on the board. If I could have put Reed with McAdoo, I would have gotten a big jump in my 70s points. 

POST-SEASON TIMING

Best in Show Rankings (counts double in scoring)

- Fri 4/9 - rosters out, writeups

- Mon 4/12 - rankings due 3pm pacific, results released

Best in Show Cup Head to Head Tourney (not part of overall scoring, just for fun)

- Tue 4/13 - first round matchups (seedlings based on rankings)

- Wed 4/14 - quarterfinals

- Thu 4/15 - semifinals

- Fri 4/16 - championship

Pantheon Rankings (counts triple in scoring)

- Fri 4/16 - rosters out, writeups

- Mon 4/19 - rankings due 3pm pacific, results released

Pantheon Cup Head to Head Tourney (not part of overall scoring, just for fun)

- Tue 4/20 - first round matchups (seedlings based on rankings)

- Wed 4/21 - quarterfinals

- Thu 4/22 - semifinals

- Fri 4/23 - championship

I figure for the tourneys, we’ll post polls in the basketball forum so we don’t get everyone mad at us here in the FFA. 

Nobody answered my Gobert post but I think that's my regret.
I had Gobert as #1 C and Noah as #11....but the group was extremely tight.  For perspective, my rankings had Dwight Howard as 20 points above Gobert (he was my pre-draft #1 for the era) but Noah was only 14 points behind Gobert.

Users who are viewing this thread