What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Tour Thread: 2019 Season Ends (1 Viewer)

Have they released times for the President's Cup yet?  I know it's going to be late, but not sure how it lined up for us in the States.  

@JoelMBeall: PGA Tour player Tommy 'Two Gloves' Gaines has been arrested in a prostitution sting in Polk County, Florida. Gaines was in the area for a charity event, but according to Sheriff Grady Judd, Gainey "missed his tee time."

It's also nighttime, but I get your point.  Looks like it only gets up to high 60's right now.  Guess it's still technically the end of spring.
Not sure what the day time temps were yesterday but the gallery was mostly wearing shorts so had to be relatively mild.  

Hot take:

Why do we all do this thing every year where we pretend that being the captain of a Ryder Cup or the President's Cup is a super hard and important and demanding thing?  It's this weird thing that golf fans and media just go along with every year. Everyone acts like these guys are simultaneously plotting the invasion of Normandy and solving Fermat's Last Theorem.  It just doesn't seem that hard or time-consuming to me  There's certainly some strategy and I understand that, but it seems like most of it could be worked out in a three hour meeting well in advance, and you could do the needed adjustments after each session in a couple minutes. What they do over the entire course of the event doesn't seem to require much more strategic thinking than what a baseball manager does with his lineup and bullpen use every day. And I doubt the strategy decisions make much difference in the final result anyway.

FWIW I love these events and I'm a Tiger fan.  I just think the way everyone talks about the captains at these things is funny..

Hot take:

Why do we all do this thing every year where we pretend that being the captain of a Ryder Cup or the President's Cup is a super hard and important and demanding thing?  It's this weird thing that golf fans and media just go along with every year. Everyone acts like these guys are simultaneously plotting the invasion of Normandy and solving Fermat's Last Theorem.  It just doesn't seem that hard or time-consuming to me  There's certainly some strategy and I understand that, but it seems like most of it could be worked out in a three hour meeting well in advance, and you could do the needed adjustments after each session in a couple minutes. What they do over the entire course of the event doesn't seem to require much more strategic thinking than what a baseball manager does with his lineup and bullpen use every day. And I doubt the strategy decisions make much difference in the final result anyway.

FWIW I love these events and I'm a Tiger fan.  I just think the way everyone talks about the captains at these things is funny..
I think the strategies of the captain (and for that matter, baseball coaches) are highly underrated.  I'm not saying it's rocket surgery, but I think there's more to it than most people like to give credit.  

I think the strategies of the captain (and for that matter, baseball coaches) are highly underrated.  I'm not saying it's rocket surgery, but I think there's more to it than most people like to give credit.  
How so? As a nerd I'm open to being convinced on this.

I see four basic principles:

1. Pair players who like each other or otherwise bring out the best in each other

2. Pair aggressive guys with par machines in four ball

3. Pair long hitters with accurate iron guys in alternate shot, and decide who to put on the first tee based on getting the long hitter on the tee for as many holes where length is important as possible (this one is marginal, other stuff more important)

4.  Adjust on the fly based on score and play (usually seems pretty simple, eg play Tiger today when they probably would have preferred to rest him)

Not nothing, but nothing really tough either. The reverence and awe with which the golf world treats the job seems silly to me.  Am I missing something significant?

FWIW I don't think the order in singles really matters, seems like a glorified game of rock paper scissors to me, but again I'm open to being convinced.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Hot take:

I agree.  Just gives media something to talk about.  The fact each team deploys about 4 assistants is kind of ridiculous. Seems like more of a boondoggle than anything else. They ride around in their carts with an earpiece for little reason.  What are they going to say to a guy like Reed or DJ? 

Then again I think all the pregame/halftime speech stuff in Sports in general is bs as well.  The athlete's are not even listening.  

"Oh we have to be better?" Shoot, that's a good idea.

"Outwork them"... never thought of that.

Question about alternate shot: Do they lock in alternating tee shots on every hole, or does the person that holes out determine who tees off next?

Tiger beat every better ball team in the field on his own ball.

ETA: Also, I am wearing a diaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.  Just gives media something to talk about.  The fact each team deploys about 4 assistants is kind of ridiculous. Seems like more of a boondoggle than anything else. They ride around in their carts with an earpiece for little reason.  What are they going to say to a guy like Reed or DJ? 

Then again I think all the pregame/halftime speech stuff in Sports in general is bs as well.  The athlete's are not even listening.  

US players at Brookline: "Take dead aim, you say?  Interesting. I was gonna target the bunkers. Aiming for the center of the fairway and the pin does seem better!"

Definetely part doggle.

I get the impression nobody wants to play with Reed and so the nicest, most Christian (patient and forgiving) guys is stuck with him. I'm probably wrong, but that's kinda how it looks.

I get the impression nobody wants to play with Reed and so the nicest, most Christian (patient and forgiving) guys is stuck with him. I'm probably wrong, but that's kinda how it looks.
A year ago I might have said Kuchar would have also fit the bill but then we learned he was kind of a ####.

Users who are viewing this thread