What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

How is ASJ's blocking skills? Is he a guy that only obviously comes in to run routes, or could he potentially benefit from being on the field all the time, and thus some play-action type plays?

Last edited by a moderator:
No one really knows because Marcedes Lewis has been there since 1995...or at least it feels that way...
Easy to forget but they did make Julius Thomas one of the highest paid TE's in the league just 3 years ago.

I thought this was a bad landing spot for ASJ mainly because he's not very good and needed a homerun landing spot like the Saints to be worth hanging onto.  I was going to cut him after he signed with JAX in only league I owned him, an FFPC  TE premium league, but thankfully found someone who wanted him and got a nice exit gift. But I'm flat as could be on a TE with a historically low catch percentage coming off a super low yards per catch on a slower paced offense.

According to First Coast News' Mike Kaye, Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Blake Bortles have established a "strong connection" at OTAs.

The two have regularly hooked up on "downfield lobs" with ASJ's ability to regularly get open down the seam of the defense being one of the ongoing features of OTAs. ASJ inked a two-year deal with Jacksonville in March, and following the release of Marcedes Lewis, should be an every-down player. Seferian-Jenkins has a decent shot at finishing as a top-12 fantasy tight end.

Source: First Coast News 

Jun 6 - 10:50 AM

While I still have some level of skepticism, I am holding out hope here.  There are a ton of Jag WRs that could vulture value from one another but ASJ could be the constant presence that Bortles needs to succeed.  Glad I held him in one of my dynasties and I'll be throwing darts at him as a TE2 who could easily end up as a mid-level TE1 by Week 6-7.

Last edited by a moderator:
He could catch 100 balls and only have 500 yds. 
So basically he's a bigger version of Jarvis Landry?

Honestly though, I think the guy averages way more than 5 ypc.

I really like ASJ in JAX.  Especially if he becomes a redzone threat.

So basically he's a bigger version of Jarvis Landry?

Honestly though, I think the guy averages way more than 5 ypc.

I really like ASJ in JAX.  Especially if he becomes a redzone threat.
If I remember correctly his yards per reception we’re pretty low in New York too.

McCown kept leading him into defenders on super short routes. I was impressed he was able to hold onto the ball, frankly.  I expect his YPR to go up quite a bit. 

Otherwise I hated the landing spot as I am a believer. But I'm coming around a bit. I can see him feasting on play action. I'm thinking something like 55 for 600 and 6 TDs. 

If I remember correctly his yards per reception we’re pretty low in New York too.
His average per catch is very low, but it doesnt make all that much sense why.  He ran a 4.56 at 262 lbs at the combine.  Thats pretty freakish, and should by metrics alone lead to a high yards per reception.  Must be something else to his game that limits him from breaking big plays.  Maybe it has been coaching so far - who knows.  Seems like he has all the physical characteristics to be a solid contributor thought.  Here are his measurables - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/austin-seferianjenkins

I kinda like ASJ this year.  JAC appears to have a ton of WR's but none of them really blow the doors off or are target hogs.  Bortles will probably be encouraged to just "not make a ton of mistakes" so he may defer to a bigger, closer target pretty often.  ASJ has shown the physical tools and I like the red zone ability here.  If Fournette gets stuffed in the red zone, ASJ might be the next option. Moncrief seems to be the next biggest guy and ASJ has very little competition at TE.  He should be on the field every down...I'd roll the dice.....as my TE1?....maybe....if I pass on TE early....I see him in the conversation at around TE12-13 with the guys in that mix....I might gamble on him over guys like Doyle, Reed, Howard, Brate, Clay, Eifert.....

I kinda like ASJ this year.  JAC appears to have a ton of WR's but none of them really blow the doors off or are target hogs.  Bortles will probably be encouraged to just "not make a ton of mistakes" so he may defer to a bigger, closer target pretty often.  ASJ has shown the physical tools and I like the red zone ability here.  If Fournette gets stuffed in the red zone, ASJ might be the next option. Moncrief seems to be the next biggest guy and ASJ has very little competition at TE.  He should be on the field every down...I'd roll the dice.....as my TE1?....maybe....if I pass on TE early....I see him in the conversation at around TE12-13 with the guys in that mix....I might gamble on him over guys like Doyle, Reed, Howard, Brate, Clay, Eifert.....
Look at the Jags targets from 2017:

RB/FB: 132.  WR: 306   TE: 79

Jacksonville hasn't had a decent receiving/blocking TE since Marcedes Lewis circa 2012, so ASJ has the potential to be a new type of weapon.

That said, unless things go horribly wrong, the Jags are not going to pass more than last year; they'll try to pass less

ASJ will not have any competition for the in-line TE position, but Hackett does like to employ the move TE in key spots, siphoning limited targets

Besides (hopefully healthy) Fournette and Bortles (who is actually lining up to have a strong year), there's not a lot of guaranteed offensive fantasy goodness to be found on the 2018 Jacksonville Jaguars

Jaguars.com expects Austin Seferian-Jenkins to be an "integral" part of the team's offense.

ASJ has apparently drawn praise for his "work ethic and approach," as well as "appeared in sync with Blake Bortles." ASJ averaged a sluggish 7.1 yards per catch in last year's comeback season, but his $4 million guaranteed is an indication the Jags do indeed have big plans. Although he will be competing for targets with a crowded receiver corps, ASJ should be a strong TE2 in 2018.

Source: jaguars.com 

Jun 14 - 3:47 PM

His average per catch is very low, but it doesnt make all that much sense why.  He ran a 4.56 at 262 lbs at the combine.  Thats pretty freakish, and should by metrics alone lead to a high yards per reception.  Must be something else to his game that limits him from breaking big plays.  Maybe it has been coaching so far - who knows.  Seems like he has all the physical characteristics to be a solid contributor thought.  Here are his measurables - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/austin-seferianjenkins
Looks like he averaged 13.4 ypc with Tampa (and that was when he was, seemingly at the light of his being a head case), then things went South with a combo of a mid-season trade to the Jets in 2016, being a Jet, having Bryce Petty start multiple games as your QB and the saving grace being Josh McCown.

I'm not reading too much into his YPC with the Jets. In fact I have him as a strong buy in both redraft and dynasty.

ASJ didn't run at the combine. Or at a pro day. He had a private workout with the Jets, and one scout that was there claimed that he timed ASJ at 4.56. I would not put much stock in that number.

Jaguars Position Preview: Seferian-Jenkins brings new dynamic to offense

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180712/jaguars-position-preview-seferian-jenkins-brings-new-dynamic-to-offense

If Seferian-Jenkins is the ascending player the Jaguars believe him to be, he should be much more trouble for opposing defenses. So far, he appears to have all the tools. Bortles consistently looked his way during the offseason program and regularly found him open in different spots on the field.

“Since the first day he showed up, we immediately started working together and doing things,” Bortles said. ”... I think it is pretty easy, when you come watch a practice, you can see how big of an impact he has made and how much he is going to help us out.”

There is some risk, however. Prior to last year, Seferian-Jenkins never caught more than 21 passes in a season. And in five games (out for another due to injury) after the Jets’ Week 11 bye last year, he caught just 11 passes for 69 yards, finishing with an alarmingly low 7.1 yards per catch.

And in five games (out for another due to injury) after the Jets’ Week 11 bye last year, he caught just 11 passes for 69 yards, finishing with an alarmingly low 7.1 yards per catch.

Alarming?  More like astounding when Bryce Petty and his subterranean 4.86 ypa was delivering to football to him.

He might be their only RZ option not named Fournette.  ASJ *could* dominate down there this year.  And if he gets work between the 20s, as they say, then he has strong upside.  Even in a run first offense that will likely be ahead a lot, though that obviously caps it a bit.

And in five games (out for another due to injury) after the Jets’ Week 11 bye last year, he caught just 11 passes for 69 yards, finishing with an alarmingly low 7.1 yards per catch.

Alarming?  More like astounding when Bryce Petty and his subterranean 4.86 ypa was delivering to football to him.
7.1 yards per reception (and 4.8 yards per target) is what he had for the whole season, including 7.3 YPR (and 5.2 YPT) while McCown was his QB.

Anything changed now that Lee is done for the year? Or will the WR depth absorb the targets?
Doesn't move the needle for me. I didn't think Lee was that much better than the guys behind him, so his loss combined with their depth at the position is just about a wash.

I feel like I'm on the fence about ASJ, but I keep landing him in best ball leagues, so either I like him or everyone else hates him. I don't expect much from him, but he should have a few unpredictable but fantasy relevant games. Would not want him in a normal setup where I have to pick the weeks to start him.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins (core-muscle injury) is not expected to practice Wednesday.

It's the first we've heard of the injury after ASJ appeared in the regular-season tuneup third preseason game. He caught 1-of-2 targets for 14 yards this summer. ASJ would be on the streaming radar against a Giants team that was flattened by tight ends last year, but he may not be healthy.

Source: Tad Dickman on Twitter 

Sep 5 - 10:36 AM

I think the guy has talent, but the Jags are going to rely on Fournette and not the arm of Bortles to ASJ to win games so his fantasy value will be mediocre at best. I even think Cole is a better receiving option than ASJ here.

I think the guy has talent, but the Jags are going to rely on Fournette and not the arm of Bortles to ASJ to win games so his fantasy value will be mediocre at best. I even think Cole is a better receiving option than ASJ here.
Well everyone knows Cole is the better receiving option, but I do think ASJ has value here.  The injury scares me but if he's healthy, I see him used quite a bit.  Jags don't have much of a slot receiver role and Bortles is likely gonna play a bit safer this year down the middle of the field to limit turnovers.  Could see him with 5-8 targets a game.

This Sunday is a tough call for ASJ owners...the matchup is tasty but I would have liked to seen more run from the two of them in the preseason.  ASJ left the 3rd game early

I'm very much in a wait-and-see mode if the production matches the potential.  Average 5 targets/game seems about right

I feel like they will be high quality targets, off play action on a good run first team, and targets in the RZ. I'd like to know what the injury is, though. I have him in a glutton of daily week 1 lineups.

I feel like they will be high quality targets, off play action on a good run first team, and targets in the RZ. I'd like to know what the injury is, though. I have him in a glutton of daily week 1 lineups.
If you are fluent in coachspeak, this might be helpful. Otherwise, probably not

Marrone “uncomfortable,” ASJ not expected to practice

https://www.jaguars.com/news/wednesday-marrone-uncomfortable-asj-not-expected-to-practice

Regarding Seferian-Jenkins’ injury:

Marrone said he has been practicing recently with a “nagging” core muscle issue and was sore after attempting to catch a pass earlier this week.

“We’re just going to be smart about it,” he said, adding of Seferian-Jenkins’ status for Sunday, “I feel like he’ll play, but you never know. That’s me saying it; not him or the doctors.”

If you are fluent in coachspeak, this might be helpful. Otherwise, probably not

Marrone “uncomfortable,” ASJ not expected to practice

https://www.jaguars.com/news/wednesday-marrone-uncomfortable-asj-not-expected-to-practice

Regarding Seferian-Jenkins’ injury:

Marrone said he has been practicing recently with a “nagging” core muscle issue and was sore after attempting to catch a pass earlier this week.

“We’re just going to be smart about it,” he said, adding of Seferian-Jenkins’ status for Sunday, “I feel like he’ll play, but you never know. That’s me saying it; not him or the doctors.”
yuk

Core-muscle injuries are what the sports world used to call sports hernia because they didn’t have a grasp on what it actually was. It’s not a good injury but there are various degrees that can be played through. I know he’s a popular streamer with a lot of DFS guys and what not but I would avoid on the season because of this issue. I also wouldn’t stream him even though he’s against the Giants. I don’t think we’ll see the real ASJ this year which is unfortunate.

2 games in he's 6-48-1 on 10 targets.

He is who we thought he was.  Hard to square the fact that such an athletic man in just a catch-and-fall guy on the field.

Not sure it gets any better from here--jags obviously have plenty of pass catchers who can make things happen in space, and the loss of LT Cam Robinson for the year may mean fewer routes and more help on pass protection.

The Jaguars have declined their 2019 team option on Austin Seferian-Jenkins, making him a free agent.

Signed to a "two-year, $10 million" contract following his successful comeback season with the Jets in 2017, ASJ made zero impact for the Jags' stagnant offense before landing on injured reserve with a core muscle injury in Week 6. ASJ caught 11 balls for 90 yards and one score before going down. He has averaged a minuscule 7.32 yards on 61 catches since 2017. Going on 27, ASJ will not be guaranteed a 53-man roster spot for 2019, though he will likely be on someone's Week 1 roster.

Related: Jaguars

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Jan 24 - 3:50 PM

Core-muscle injuries are what the sports world used to call sports hernia because they didn’t have a grasp on what it actually was. It’s not a good injury but there are various degrees that can be played through. I know he’s a popular streamer with a lot of DFS guys and what not but I would avoid on the season because of this issue. I also wouldn’t stream him even though he’s against the Giants. I don’t think we’ll see the real ASJ this year which is unfortunate.
I’m no doctor but this was $... I’m surprised it’s taken him this long to sign. Plenty of professional athletes have successfully come back from core surgery. Justin Verlander comes to mind but he struggled pretty decently his first season back from it. 

While there’s a chance he suddenly takes a huge leap forward, if I owned him I would immediately shop him while this news is still new. Someone offered me gronk years ago for fleener and a future 2nd when he signed with the saints. If you have him kicking around on your roster his value likely won’t be higher. Heck, they could draft someone and immediately torpedo it back where it probably belongs. 

While there’s a chance he suddenly takes a huge leap forward, if I owned him I would immediately shop him while this news is still new. Someone offered me gronk years ago for fleener and a future 2nd when he signed with the saints. If you have him kicking around on your roster his value likely won’t be higher. Heck, they could draft someone and immediately torpedo it back where it probably belongs. 
Honestly, that’s the first thing I thought was that while ASJ may have some usage for NE his best use may be as a decoy for the draft if they think Hockensen or Fant is near them.

Users who are viewing this thread