What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grey Hair Guys (1 Viewer)

My gray isn't too bad when I keep it short. My wife doesnt mind it so it's cool with me. Starting to get thinner on top than I'd like so I'm more concerned with that. But at 54, I shouldn't complain.

The main rule about all this gray or die it, beard or no beard is always the same: just be good looking and it will work itself out.
confirmed. i'm middle aged, bearded and graying apace but am extremely handsome. some say the handsomest.

I went gray in my early-mid 40s.  Somewhere along the line, I apparently agreed to let Mrs. Eephus dye it.  Wine was involved and there was a witness.  I went through with it and once you start, you're committed.  I don't know who it fooled but she liked it so that counts for something.  We eventually ended up using Touch of Gray on the sides and a darker dye on top.  The problem was the sides faded quicker than the darker shade.

It was a pain though and I stopped almost exactly a year ago.  It took 9-10 months for the color to grow out completely.  I guess I could have cut it all off but that was a judgement call.   I'm enjoying being au naturel again and have even leaned in further with a trimmed beard.  I've officially entered my Kenny Rogers period.

I have grays in my hair but not yet noticeable enough to make this choice. The patches of gray in my beard, especially around the chin, were too much though and I just decided to shave it off. I thought there would be some medical advancement for keeping hair from going gray by the time I got here!

-OZ- said:
Honest question - why? 

Stay healthy for sure, but dying hair, toupees, etc?  #### that stuff. 

I get it if you're dating or in show biz, or just look bad. but if you're a decent looking guy with grey, or shave your head, what's the real issue?

But then, I'm the youngest person in my office other than our secretary so maybe my frame of reference is off.
Not advocating toupees or any kind of crazy hair retention treatments, but if you have a good head of hair, keeping your hair in between your normal color and grey will make you look more youthful.  I've got the rest of my life to be grey, looking good matters to me, so I'll put off the full grey look. 

Joe Bryant said:
If you're worried about looking older, the beard is a big part of it. People say I look 10 years younger without a (gray) beard. I think they're right.
You bet they are.  A grey beard is really aging.

Look at Gandalf.  He looks like he's a thousand if he's a day.

mr. furley said:
imo, there isn't a whole lot worse look for older men than some of the terrible, terrible dye jobs i've seen.
this. those dye jobs look awful. i'm very disappointed at how grey my head (mostly) and facial hair (90+%) are, but such is life. i think it's a mistake to start coloring.

Eephus said:
I'm enjoying being au naturel again and have even leaned in further with a trimmed beard.  I've officially entered my Kenny Rogers period.
You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

Eephus said:
I went gray in my early-mid 40s.  Somewhere along the line, I apparently agreed to let Mrs. Eephus dye it.  Wine was involved and there was a witness.  I went through with it and once you start, you're committed.  I don't know who it fooled but she liked it so that counts for something.  We eventually ended up using Touch of Gray on the sides and a darker dye on top.  The problem was the sides faded quicker than the darker shade.

It was a pain though and I stopped almost exactly a year ago.  It took 9-10 months for the color to grow out completely.  I guess I could have cut it all off but that was a judgement call.   I'm enjoying being au naturel again and have even leaned in further with a trimmed beard.  I've officially entered my Kenny Rogers period.
So you’re saying you got to know when to fold ‘em.

edit: if I would have read down a couple more posts, I would have seen Leroy Hoard picked up the 3 yards on 3rd and short first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not advocating toupees or any kind of crazy hair retention treatments, but if you have a good head of hair, keeping your hair in between your normal color and grey will make you look more youthful.  I've got the rest of my life to be grey, looking good matters to me, so I'll put off the full grey look. 
I get the looking good part. Does some grey really look bad? 

I've never had good hair, so maybe this is just self affirming bias, but if you're in shape, grey or bald doesn't necessarily make you ugly. 

nirad3 said:
Maybe it's a midlife crisis but I no longer like my gray hair.  It's gone from having a little bit on the edges to full-on.... everywhere.  And I have a beard, and it too is completely grayed out.  My beard is what I (and I would assume others) notice most, so I'm more inclined to go for the comb-in thingy.  

Does anyone use something like this?  

How about the comb-in thing for your facial hair?

Or should I just embrace the gray?  I'd rather not.

Also, what do I say to people about the "new look" once the gray has been eradicated?  Schtick highly encouraged here.
I use Control GX, it works great.  Just shampoo with a glove on as it will stain your fingers nails and its very difficult to wash off.

. Shaving the head helps with both issues plus you save on visits to the barber.
:)

The last time I visited a Barber was 1999 and that was only because I had been traveling a lot. Ever since then I carry clippers (used to be a razor)

Shaving the gray beard is key if you want to knock off years from your look...gray in the hair is OK..the gray beard give off the grandpa look.

That theory holds true even in dogs..I had a black lab who went gray in the muzzle at 6 and everybody kept calling him old man...even though he acted like a pup still. :D  

Embrace it. 

My hair is a mixture of brown and gray ( I say brown with gray, my wife says gray with brown), and past my shoulder blades.
My wife's hair is over halfway down her back and is mostly gray with streaks of black.  She's never colored hers.

boots11234 said:
Lose the beard. You’re not a millennial.  Keep hair cut short. Keep gray. 
I’ve been growing out a beard every winter for more than 10 years. I hate it now that I look like I’m trying to fit in or now, that’s I’m out of style because of the “recent” beard trend. 

My lawn, get off of it. 

I get the looking good part. Does some grey really look bad? 

I've never had good hair, so maybe this is just self affirming bias, but if you're in shape, grey or bald doesn't necessarily make you ugly. 
I don't think grey looks bad, just old.  Half and half is fine for dudes our age but I think total grey (I'd be about 3/4 grey with no color) just makes dudes look older.  My own issue, no hate for whatever anyone else does.  And I agree that being in shape is far more important than hair.

Funny, I could care less about it. Im not fully gray yet but its the last thing Im concerned about. 
Same here. I have full on salt/pepper, and the beard is pretty gray, but whatever. I'm 52. 

Never understood any male obsession with how much hair one has or what color it's turning. But that's me. 

I think you know not what you speak of...
I don't understand what you mean, but that is okay. I've got an aversion to coloring my hair to cover gray, and if I ever chose that route I'd ask someone who knows what they're doing to do it for me. But embrace the gray seems to be the developing theme here, anyway. I've noticed that when my hair gets dry it looks like crap, so I started using biosilk silk therapy as a leave-in conditioner. That method turned out way sexier than just conditioning in the shower. Way sexier - and if you want a more manly-smelling product, try CHI silk infusion. I use that on the daily - but my #1 chick still likes how the biosilk smells - so I'll still use the biosilk around her. It also works on your face. There's also a great styling product in the same vain - so to speak - called fatboy (no offense to you personally) tacky oil/protective styler that nourishes as it holds. It's a great product, too. My point to the dude who is asking: Try some conditioning oils first and see how you look and feel before you decide to color, as it may give you the confidence boost/change you're looking for (with none of the associated risk).

I've been slowly going gray since age 15. And I'm highly successful with women. I can probably help you out. First, tell us about your current hair care habits/regimen.
Shampoo, dry.  I keep it short enough to where it looks fine without anything else.

See.. that statement right there. Feels like push back already. Push back on new ideas. For example, how do you know that shampoo only "looks fine without anything else" unless you have tried something else? Trust me I am with you. I have short hair, too. And I found out about that stuff I just posted on accident. Nobody told me. I wasn't trying to look better, I just noticed how much healthier I looked after using that stuff. Just passing on info I learned by myself on accident, brother.

See.. that statement right there. Feels like push back already. Push back on new ideas. For example, how do you know that shampoo only "looks fine without anything else" unless you have tried something else? Trust me I am with you. I have short hair, too. And I found out about that stuff I just posted on accident. Nobody told me. I wasn't trying to look better, I just noticed how much healthier I looked after using that stuff. Just passing on info I learned by myself on accident, brother.
I've tried "product".  I think it looks good regardless.  Maybe I'll give it another shot but I don't think it's going to solve what my issue is.  

Grey started showing up in mid-20s for me.  By the time I was mid-30s I had more grey than brown.  Early 40s one day I got the notion to revert back to original color (mind you I shave my head with a 0 or 1 guard so not much more than stubble), left the dye in too long so it went almost jet black and I wound up looking like a freaking GI Joe doll.  Last time I ever dyed my hair.  Now I am 50 with nothing but white/silver/grey hair.  Embrace the grey.

confirmed. i'm middle aged, bearded and graying apace but am extremely handsome. some say the handsomest.
Screenshots or it didn't happen.

What's your stance on merkins?

Whoever said "just find your look" is correct.   Doesn't matter what color the freaking hair is as long as you have it.  Just have to be smart about it and take care of it if you care about appearances. 

Be these guys, not these guys.

I've tried "product".  I think it looks good regardless.  Maybe I'll give it another shot but I don't think it's going to solve what my issue is.  
I understand. We're getting somewhere now. I use product sometimes, too. Sometimes I don't. Because it dries out my hair. Totally different ballpark. Different discussion. When my gray hair dries out it makes me look like an old man. That's why I recommended those conditioning oils/silk infusions. Simplest route, you can buy CHI silk infusion at the grocery store it's like $15. Decent and halfway professional. The blonde chick who cuts my hair told me about it. It simply made my dry, gray hair look way better. I also jump higher now.

I understand. We're getting somewhere now. I use product sometimes, too. Sometimes I don't. Because it dries out my hair. Totally different ballpark. Different discussion. When my gray hair dries out it makes me look like an old man. That's why I recommended those conditioning oils/silk infusions. Simplest route, you can buy CHI silk infusion at the grocery store it's like $15. Decent and halfway professional. The blonde chick who cuts my hair told me about it. It simply made my dry, gray hair look way better. I also jump higher now.
My sister is a high-end hairdresser so I might just need to ask her about these infusion dealie-bobbers.  Thanks for the info.  And congrats on the new hops.

Funny, I could care less about it. Im not fully gray yet but its the last thing Im concerned about. 
I do not have any gray yet but I really do not want to look like Joe Biden in my 40s.   I will decide when the time comes but I am leaning to adding a little color when it is needed.

imo, there isn't a whole lot worse look for older men than some of the terrible, terrible dye jobs i've seen. if you're going to get it dyed, go to a professional and do it subtly over time. don't go full on jet black paint job right out of the gate.
my barber today suggested i use Just For Men  :mellow:

yeah, i'm graying around the temples and liberally through the beard but.... bro  👀

Grey started showing up in mid-20s for me.  By the time I was mid-30s I had more grey than brown.  Early 40s one day I got the notion to revert back to original color (mind you I shave my head with a 0 or 1 guard so not much more than stubble), left the dye in too long so it went almost jet black and I wound up looking like a freaking GI Joe doll.  
:lmao:  

I had a great head of brown hair before I got married and had kids(just a short 11 years ago)

Wonder what happened

Silver Fox now

As someone who is partly gray, I say embrace it. 

If you're worried about looking older, the beard is a big part of it. People say I look 10 years younger without a (gray) beard. I think they're right.

Keep your body in shape. Embrace the gray. 
I legit get compliments on my hair all the time. Pretty much all silver now, I wear it semi-long & have an awesome stylist (like best in North America good.) Anyway, I’ve always been completely comfortable with the color - b&w, mostly grey, silver, whatever, it’s all good.

But my facial hair is schizophrenic. My mustache is dark brown (almost black), goatee is mixed. Neither matches my hair at all. Looks kinda off but I just roll with it.

Users who are viewing this thread