What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Movie Poll - 1982 Countdown Monday! (2 Viewers)

What older decades would you do lists for?

• 1960s

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • 1950s

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 1940s

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 1930s

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • 1920s

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
20-29pts:

The Toy - 3

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - 4

Trail of the Pink Panther - 2

Cat People - 1

Swamp Thing - 3

Eating Raoul - 3

Liquid Sky - 2

Frances - 2

10-19pts:

Maid in Britain - 1

Return of Martin Guerre - 1

Burden of Dreams - 2

Shoot the Moon -1 

Deathtrap - 4

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas - 2

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy  - 1

The Grey Fox - 1

Firefox - 2

Amityville II: The Possesion - 3

Death Wish 2 - 2

The Shaolin Temple - 1

Basket Case - 2

Boat People - 1

Halloween III: The Season of the Witch - 2

Let's Spend the Night Together - 1

1-9pts:

Quest for Fire - 3

They Call me Bruce? - 3

The Beast Within - 1

Q - 1

Megaforce - 1

Victor/Victoria - 3

The Slumber Party Massacre - 1

The Border - 1

Young Doctors in Love - 1

I Ought to be in Pictures - 1

Honkytonk Man - 1

Bugs Bunny's 3rd Movie - 1

Scarlet Pimpernel - 1

The Last Unicorn - 1

Savannah Smiles - 1

Ninja in the Dragon's Den - 1

Barbarosa - 1

Six Pack - 1

KP's listings have included several rearview reviews and there was a period, after the Dingobaby movie, where many were on Streep as an accent wonk.

I hate Tennessee Williams plays - hate em as much as Rocky sequels & Shia Labeouf action flicks - but i understand that they helped us understand our selfishnesses & each our difference. Just can't stand those stagey, soapy hysterics (not a fan of O'Neill or Miller either), no matter how important they were as societal mirrors in their time. The miracle of Sophie's Choice, book & movie, is that it took the TW template, set it against the real horrors of its time and came out the other side as a triumph. Kevin Kline's performance in it is better than Streep's in many ways. Without his utterly glamorous, self-hating menace bringing life to Sophie's shell, we do not feel the depth a human can fall which Streep delivers us. If i didn't want to punch Stingo every time he was on the screen, this would be the runaway best-acted movie of all-time. Not that it matters that much but, in the face of real drama losing to all y'all's babysitter movies, i felt that some mention of what mattered to adults in 1982 had to be made. I look forward to going to a time before fanboy flicks were made for the next list, although i expect at least one Thing (a movie NO ONE liked when it came out that got this awesome 2nd life on VHS) to come from it.

One other note: I think there were 3 votes for the groundbreaking documentary Koyannisqatsi in our pole. No biggie, but there is something about it i thought y'all would get a kick from. I raved so much about this flick that my gf ordered & bought me the videotape of it, the first storebought VHS i owned. Guess what she paid for it? $79.99. I'm guessing that's over $200 in today's dollars. For one movie.
Just about all of these will be rearview reviews.  I think the earliest are probably from 2006 or so - I am assuming when imdb fired up.   I assume 80% of the reviews on there are probably from people even 10-15 years younger than I am or more which to me adds to the comedy.  

I really love your posts (the ones I understand ) , and your perspective so keep 'em coming.  To paraphrase @PIK95 though - also keep in mind that it was you guys that left us with these babysitter movies as you went to your key parties and some of us are trying to crack that through the influence of those movies they left us with.  ;)

Like I said, I haven't used "strategic scoring" yet, but I would get it if people would do that a little to try to push something they think might miss the cut up the list a bit and give it a shot at the countdown.  In the end all those movies get talked about in one way or the other, so it's probably not a big deal.  

For 1999 the cutoff for the countdown was 60pts.  Here it was 80pts.  We will see how the following years go, but what I am expecting is that the farther back we go and people maybe have seen fewer of the movies, the higher the pts will need to be for the cutoff.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if 1974 is 100pts and we only end up with 20 on the countdown as the lists get more focused, and then as we get back to the 90s+ we get back to 30 on the list and 60 or so points. 

Well, before moving on, I am relatively cool with the final countdown here.  I approved of the 99 list more to be sure, but in as much as I am opinionated about many movies in this particular year, I can't necessarily fault the results.  It's not like a ridiculous jungle opera house made it into the top 10.

:unsure:  

On to 74.  It will be glorious.

I really do think The Pirate Movie is funny.

The Pirate King: What's the age of consent around here? 

Mabel: Eighteen. 

The Pirate King: Good! I'm old enough!

Just about all of these will be rearview reviews.  I think the earliest are probably from 2006 or so - I am assuming when imdb fired up.   I assume 80% of the reviews on there are probably from people even 10-15 years younger than I am or more which to me adds to the comedy.  

I really love your posts (the ones I understand ) , and your perspective so keep 'em coming.  To paraphrase @PIK95 though - also keep in mind that it was you guys that left us with these babysitter movies as you went to your key parties and some of us are trying to crack that through the influence of those movies they left us with.  ;)
You two are taking more fault than i'm giving. Were i of your time, i would have been as down for everything as you. I just hope i would have escaped the fanboy brand, even unto the great force of marketing against the GenXer, upon my adult life, which i largely dont see. That phenomenon - which has had a great, cheapening impact on our culture - troubles me greatly, but is not your fault. It is not my hippie instincts which cause me to implore people to be citizens first and customers second. Those are my human instincts, which i hope each individual takes the trouble to find. I rebel against you as i rebelled against my peeps for creating convenience culture. All my gen did was rebel - it's what there was to do - and all we do now is pretend that rebelling was right & responsible. I'm against the second part of that the same way i'm against the second part of your thang. I understand all of em, but i really don't think many do, so i ramble on *cue music*

Boom!  Couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought it was just my family that but I also noticed on here a bit.  Why do boomers talk in code?   My mother drives me nuts with that.  Just ask for what you want, stop talking about all this unrelated stuff that only confuses me, lol.  So yeah.  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You two are taking more fault than i'm giving. Were i of your time, i would have been as down for everything as you. I just hope i would have escaped the fanboy brand, even unto the great force of marketing against the GenXer, upon my adult life, which i largely dont see. That phenomenon - which has had a great, cheapening impact on our culture - troubles me greatly, but is not your fault. It is not my hippie instincts which cause me to implore people to be citizens first and customers second. Those are my human instincts, which i hope each individual takes the trouble to find. I rebel against you as i rebelled against my peeps for creating convenience culture. All my gen did was rebel - it's what there was to do - and all we do now is pretend that rebelling was right & responsible. I'm against the second part of that the same way i'm against the second part of your thang. I understand all of em, but i really don't think many do, so i ramble on *cue music*
If I understand what you are getting at, we actually take pride in mocking and occasionally owning the fanboy stuff.  On one hand it reminds us of the crazy absentee parents and "upbringings" we have overcome as X's, and on the other it allows us to be the anti to our parents macho, by being geeks and fan boys.  Our parents hate it and we love it partly because of that.  Sound familiar?  You mentioned Rebellion. 

"Rebellions are built on hope." Lol Karma, I couldn't resist.

On a side note we are very protective of our "Y" siblings (and mills to a point) because, well....we raised them while our parents did their thing.

That "marketing" you despise was our escape as children from the dreadful life that many Boomer parents left us with fwiw.  It was cheesy but it was ours.

No issues at all with that top 3. Those were my 3 fav's of that year easily. 

No Beastmaster stung. That movie is such a guilty pleasure and was a surprise smash and a huge cult classic.

Actually the review of Poltergeist made some excellent points of WTF with how the neighborhood was built. LOL. But I still enjoyed the movie. However it has aged horribly.  

Not your fault, wikipedia lists Quest For Fire in the "wide release" section of the '82 page, but not in the "notable releases" section, while its page on the movie itself clearly states a release date in 1981. It was actually released in Europe and limitedly in the U.S. in Dec 1981, getting some Cesar award (whatever that is) nominations in 1981. On top of that, it somehow won the academy award for best makeup in 1983. Hard one to pin down in terms of initial release date.

"Rebellions are built on hope." Lol Karma, I couldn't resist.
They are. Star Wars was built on hope, but became little but cynicism & marketing, if i may extend the metaphor. Marketing defeats hope to create want.

I'll always be a hippie, you'll always be a fanboy. I'll always be a leftie - altho part of my gig transcending hippiness was to go so far left i'm right on many things - and there will always be righties. I'll always be a dude (tho if you knew how gay our fathers think we are, you'd never stop laughing at our macho), and not only arent chicks just chicks anymiore but there are dudes who are chicks now. It was good that we had a few gens to define who we are, but we MUST stop this trend of how we are different being more important than how we are the similar. I know what my favorite movie is & the first thing i'd do if i ran the world & who's the best bass player & what empirically sucks and so do you and if one little bit of it keeps us from doing together what we should be doing together, then none of it matters. nufced

Quest for Fire - 3
I checked and this is a 1981 release so I didn't include it in my list for '82. If we do '81 it will be getting 30 from me - and still not make the top 20 apparently.

I gave it 1 point only because it was one of the first times I saw a certain sexual position.  I don't really remember the rest of the movie.

Not your fault, wikipedia mistakenly lists Quest For Fire in the '82 page, while its page on the movie itself clearly states a release date in 1981. It was actually released in Europe and limitedly in the U.S. in Dec 1981, getting some Cesar award (whatever that is) nominations in 1981. On top of that, it somehow won the academy award for best makeup in 1983. Hard one to pin down in terms of initial release date.
There's been a few like this that are hard to pin down.  I will be honest and say that I am not checking all of them as I am getting lists.  My hope is that we catch the big ones that might change the way the top 15 will look (like Road Warrior and Porky's this time around) and hopefully catch a majority of the others as well.

No Beastmaster stung. That movie is such a guilty pleasure and was a surprise smash and a huge cult classic.

Actually the review of Poltergeist made some excellent points of WTF with how the neighborhood was built. LOL. But I still enjoyed the movie. However it has aged horribly.  
I really has aged terribly.  The couple scenes that I remember from my youth - the screen, the damn clown doll are still there, but I was surprised how bad the movie around it held up when I watched it again.  

It also leaves out anything about Gandhi that wouldn't go over well in the west (his obsession with enemas -- and giving them to his female followers himself, his habit of sleeping naked with teenage nieces to test sexual reticence, his statement that the Jews in WWII should just have killed themselves rather than fight against Hitler...). Really shoddy and a shame.
Yes, it's a shame we didn't get to see Gandhi administering an enema.

If Tootsie was a surprise to me that it's not in the top 5, even more so was it's replacement...
Other than Sly's terribly acted monologue at the end this was a very good and very realistic movie. A green beret should easily be able take out a backwoods sheriff's department.

It was the sequels that ruined the franchise (i.e. Rambo taking out the Vietnam army on his own, as if the other soldiers got in his way the first time around).

That's basically all I was going for.  I have fun poking around imdb looking at some of the reviews and laughing at the bad ones.   I just thought it would be funny to post some as we did the countdown.  Like for '74 - who's going to be the person on there that things Godfather II is a terrible movie? 
Try Roger Ebert :rant:

I was actually going to post at the beginning of this one a question as to whether anyone is using strategic scoring.  I debated doing it, but in the end decided I wouldn't because that isn't the point of this to me.  Having said, that I do have a pattern of importance in my rankings in that I have given my top film in both lists a full 30, but haven't let second place get higher than 25 just to distinguish my favorite.
I don't do strategic scoring because I know my movies aren't going to be on top at this site no matter what.  But hey, I did have two in the top 10 this time, including the #1! :lol:  

nevermind, just saw posts from above...I think there was a miscalc because I gave it 5 points...putting us at at least 10
Unfortunately, I do the math on these at night and tiredness, old age, and adult beverages come into play at that time.  I have no doubt I have missed stuff here or there on a small scale, but doubt it effects the rankings much.  I have Quest for Fire as having 3 votes.  If you are 5, the other two could have just been 1 or 2 points.  Or I could have missed something.  

Unfortunately, I do the math on these at night and tiredness, old age, and adult beverages come into play at that time.  I have no doubt I have missed stuff here or there on a small scale, but doubt it effects the rankings much.  I have Quest for Fire as having 3 votes.  If you are 5, the other two could have just been 1 or 2 points.  Or I could have missed something.  
no biggie, was just talking out loud...and happy to see that I wasn't the only person that enjoyed Quest for Fire.

no biggie, was just talking out loud...and happy to see that I wasn't the only that enjoyed Quest for Fire.
One of my all time favorites. You don't really think about it, but the acting is fantastic. Some of the ape suits are pretty bad, but then some of the prosthetics are great. 

What the hell is Beastmaster? 

Thats too bad about Poltergesit. I had it pretty high just on the strength of it’s impact on me as a kid. When you watch these movies makes such a big difference. 

Shocked (and pleasantly surprised) it placed this highly.
It was low key funny af 

You must forgive my curiosity, madam, and open your knees.

Why is that dutchman waving his arms about? Is he homesick for windmills?

Your innocence, Mr. Neville, is always sinister.

There were a lot of movies on my list that I didn’t get to see (Sophie’s Choice, the Verdict, Fitzcarraldo, Fanny and Alexander). The reason I love these lists is because they bring up movies like this that get put on my watch list, and then I fire them up at some point. My rankings are all based on what movies I’d recommend to people from that year, based solely on what I remember of them.

Movies like First Blood and Fast Times might not be critical darlings, but they’re cultural touchstones. I gave Fast Times 30 pts just because it’s awesome. Totally awesome! That was my skull... I’m so wasted! Maybe it doesn’t have the gravitas of Meryl Streep in a concentration camp, but it’s a lot more quotable.

I gave Fast Times 30 pts just because it’s awesome. Totally awesome! That was my skull... I’m so wasted! Maybe it doesn’t have the gravitas of Meryl Streep in a concentration camp, but it’s a lot more quotable.

this guy gets it...I grew up in CA in the 80s...the movie resonates with me on several levels.  

Opening to the GoGos, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen concert tickets...I mean, so perfect.

Might as well keep a running overall list 

1    Stigmata
2    Dogma
3    Blast From The Past
4    Payback
5    Phantom Menance
6    South Park
7    Austin Powers
8    Fight Club
9    10 Things I Hate About You
10    Poltergeist
11    Thomas Crown Affair
12    Double Jeopardy
13    Cruel Intentions
14    Officer and A Gentleman
15    Grease 2
16    First Blood
17    Rocky 3
18    Friday the 13th part 3
19    The Toy
20    Bone Collector
21    Matrix
22    Green Mile
23    Night Shift
24    Bugs Bunny
25    ET
26    Airplane
27    Amityville 2
28    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
29    48 Hours
30    Death Wish 2
31    Annie
32    Toy Story 2
33    Scarlet Pimpernel
34    Secret of NIMH
35    Conan The Barbarian
36    Creepshow

Might as well keep a running overall list 

1    Stigmata
2    Dogma
3    Blast From The Past
4    Payback
5    Phantom Menance
6    South Park
7    Austin Powers
8    Fight Club
9    10 Things I Hate About You
10    Poltergeist
11    Thomas Crown Affair
12    Double Jeopardy
13    Cruel Intentions
14    Officer and A Gentleman
15    Grease 2
16    First Blood
17    Rocky 3
18    Friday the 13th part 3
19    The Toy
20    Bone Collector
21    Matrix
22    Green Mile
23    Night Shift
24    Bugs Bunny
25    ET
26    Airplane
27    Amityville 2
28    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
29    48 Hours
30    Death Wish 2
31    Annie
32    Toy Story 2
33    Scarlet Pimpernel
34    Secret of NIMH
35    Conan The Barbarian
36    Creepshow

Stigmata is that Patricia Arquette mess, right?

I was born in Detroit in 82. I’m far from the Fast Times in age and place but that’s just a fantastic film imo. 

Ilov80s said:
What the hell is Beastmaster? 

Thats too bad about Poltergesit. I had it pretty high just on the strength of it’s impact on me as a kid. When you watch these movies makes such a big difference. 
You have not seen The Beastmaster?

Oh my lord.

Users who are viewing this thread