What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

And if you hate the dreadmill then take it to the streets and use fire hydrants - or something else arbitrary your neighborhood has a lot of. When you get to one, stride to the next one. Since they aren't the same length apart you won't get comfortable with the time striding. Sometimes it'll be 15 seconds, other times 40 (or more?). 
Alright, last question (I hope) and then hopefully it'll just be updates. I think I prefer running on the treadmill. Is that a good idea or am I going to struggle when getting on the road if most of my running is on that? I like the fact that it's at home, obviously comfortable temp wise, and the fact that I can easily see my speed/pace/distance.  

Also, I'm one of the few people that doesn't ever really listen to music or use headphones/earbuds really ever except like when on a plane or something. Should I try to start using that to run with? I find I get bored after running for a bit but not sure music will really help.  Seriously, what do you guys think about when you're running for so long? Probably a stupid question but I'd love to draw on your collective wisdom to try and be successful at this from the start.

Alright, last question (I hope) and then hopefully it'll just be updates. I think I prefer running on the treadmill. Is that a good idea or am I going to struggle when getting on the road if most of my running is on that? I like the fact that it's at home, obviously comfortable temp wise, and the fact that I can easily see my speed/pace/distance.  

Also, I'm one of the few people that doesn't ever really listen to music or use headphones/earbuds really ever except like when on a plane or something. Should I try to start using that to run with? I find I get bored after running for a bit but not sure music will really help.  Seriously, what do you guys think about when you're running for so long? Probably a stupid question but I'd love to draw on your collective wisdom to try and be successful at this from the start.
Most runs I use my mp3 player.  Varies between music, podcasts (check learnoutloud.com) and books.  It's good once and a while at least to go without and just think about whatever comes up.  

And if you hate the dreadmill then take it to the streets and use fire hydrants - or something else arbitrary your neighborhood has a lot of. When you get to one, stride to the next one. Since they aren't the same length apart you won't get comfortable with the time striding. Sometimes it'll be 15 seconds, other times 40 (or more?). 
And if you do this, you get to say the word "fartlek" a lot. 

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy

In seriousness, never used to listen to anything.  Just focused on running with good form, and......well, whatever random thoughts popped into my head.

Now, I run with a mix of music or podcasts.  

Like the others said, it's time to take a break. 

Increasing mileage in the south in the summer is a dangerous proposition. I know my runs have been tougher lately so it's time to dial back a tad.  

Rest is the first priority. Next would be to check your nutrition plan.  Others can correct me if I'm off base but I think taking 3 gels plus electrolytes in 10 miles is going to hurt a lot more than it helps. That probably made you more sick than if you had just taken water with a small amount of salt in it.  
Good call. I think 3 gels is the max I'd consume over the whole 20 mile run. Taking them all at once and drinking that much water would definitely make me barf as well. 

Also, @JShare87 I agree with consensus in here. Your body needs a break. How much of a break? Well, that's a little more tricky. Do you have a baseline resting HR? Your resting HR varies day to day but I read that if it's over 7 BPM faster than your baseline, it means you're not recovered (or sick). This could give you clue when it's time to return to EASY running. 

And you definitely need more sleep. If you insist on getting up a 3:45, you're going to need to either go to bed a 8 or take some naps. I know running in FL in summer sucks but are you really getting your bang for your buck by getting up that early? I think you could probably sleep another hour and still be out on the road plenty early but that's just me. 

It's the only time most days I listen to music. I've tried to run without them but boredom takes over, my pace slows and I just don't want to run. As time has gone on, I associate music with running. Can't have one without the other. Love and marriage, love and marriage...

Oof, that's the thing. I wasn't planning on regular routines. I just wanted to run every once in a while and slowly build. The thought of "training" doesn't sound fun to me at all. 

That said, I'll do it to show that I can because that's how I am.  But I don't want to if it's not really a realistic attainable goal. 

After reading these responses I went back on the treadmill just to try an 8:30 pace just to see what it felt like and how much I could do. I got to half a mile and felt much more winded. While I could have gone a little more, I just stopped and gave up for today at that point. I truly hate that uncomfortable feeling after running like that when I need to stop. I love that feeling when it's during a tennis match or hustling down the court. But just to run.... Ugh.

Is there anything I can do to help that?
1. It's a very realistic goal and probably a "soft" goal given that your first run was about a 10 min pace over 2.6 miles in tennis shoes with some walking.  Sounds like you have the genetics to really do well in this sport.

2. I hated running too.  Was into cycling but after watching a 35 yo father die and having a couple of acquaintances in the hospital for months I made the switch to running.  Got started by having to do 5ks at the end of tris.  My first running event was a 5 mile climb up Grandfather Mountain that was part of a three day race which culminated with a marathon.  From there I've stuck with distance events and have never run a 5k race.  IMO 5k and 10ks suck much worse than marathons.

3. I run with music and the time just flies by.

4. Regarding your last question, when you race and have competition, the uncomfortable feeling will fade into the background.

@JShare87 I am sure you are a miserable wreck right now. I wish there were something we could say to lift up those spirits, but unfortunately there probably isn't. You have committed 4 months (plus?) towards a goal you probably aren't going to achieve and the only thing you can do right now is rest. Giving you more time to your thoughts, which probably isn't a good thing right now. 

You'll get out of this funk. And you will still have a good race experience. It won't be a BQ, but it will be a great learning experience for your next shot at one. Mistakes were inevitable. Hell, failure probably was. There are some extremely talented runners in here that do all of the right things training and still haven't conquered the beast. To try and pop your cherry amidst south Florida heat is just one more obstacle you've had to navigate that most in here didn't in their quests. Failed quests.

An extended taper is not ideal, but it's the right move at this stage in the game. Your performance will suffer some from the lost mileage, but a sluggish finish is better than a dnf, which is probably where you were headed. So adjust the expectations, get some rest, and hopefully you can still get a couple weeks of decent miles under you. You'll surprise yourself with the pop you get back once recovered. Just dont get too excited when that happens. Youll be best served saving most of that energy for race day.

It's been mentioned in the podcast thread but I've really been enjoying Hardcore history on my slow runs recently.  Each podcast is super long, like 4 hours, which can make it difficult if you want to switch back to music after an hour or so, but Carlin does a great job keeping things interesting while informing in adequate depth on subjects I pretty much just had the cliff's notes on. Revisionist history by Malcolm gladwell is shorter and also great. 

It's been mentioned in the podcast thread but I've really been enjoying Hardcore history on my slow runs recently.  Each podcast is super long, like 4 hours, which can make it difficult if you want to switch back to music after an hour or so, but Carlin does a great job keeping things interesting while informing in adequate depth on subjects I pretty much just had the cliff's notes on. Revisionist history by Malcolm gladwell is shorter and also great. 
Both good ones I've listened to. Revisionist History became my go-to during sauna training, helped to stay distracted while trying to stay in there for 30 minutes.

I'm one of the few people that doesn't ever really listen to music or use headphones/earbuds really ever except like when on a plane or something. Should I try to start using that to run with? I find I get bored after running for a bit but not sure music will really help.  Seriously, what do you guys think about when you're running for so long? Probably a stupid question but I'd love to draw on your collective wisdom to try and be successful at this from the start.
The guys know I never use headphones of any sort.  I just run and let my mind drift while I look at my surroundings (though I've done 22 miles on the track when sidewalks were icy).  I don't consciously think of anything other than some focus on technique and pace.  For me, that's kind of the point ...to enjoy some time without having to be "on."

The guys know I never use headphones of any sort.  I just run and let my mind drift while I look at my surroundings (though I've done 22 miles on the track when sidewalks were icy).  I don't consciously think of anything other than some focus on technique and pace.  For me, that's kind of the point ...to enjoy some time without having to be "on."
I'm right there with you. It's one of the rare times I can switch my hyper active brain off. 

@JShare87 - not much for me to add other than I'm sorry you are going through this. You HAVE to listen to your body here. And do NOT look at this as any kind of failure. You have a ton of running talent and have shown some awesome gains in the short time you have posted here. Marathons are a beast. Training for a marathon is a repeating beast day after day after day after day in every type of condition imaginable. Just take care of you. That is goal #1.

@gianmarco - awesome that you are getting some motivation to get out there and run. All I would say is you have to do this for YOU. An arbitrary pace for a race means nothing - you still need to do this for yourself at a pace that you and your body is comfortable with. As someone told me once: "There is always someone faster than you." Go out  and have fun. (but, if it were me I would bust my ### the next two months and blow by your wife at something like an 8:00 pace :lol: )

But in all events, do what is best for you.

If you don't want to "train" with a formal plan, you don't have to and you can still run a comfortable 5K, probably close to that 8:30 pace (based on currently running 10:00/pace easily).  My suggestion would be to run about 3 times a week, working up to 3-4 miles each time, and keep it mostly at a comfortable, conversational pace.  If you want to maximize things and get faster even quicker, toward the end of some of those runs mix in some strides - 5-to-30-second bursts of speed up to the fastest pace you can go while staying totally smooth and comfortable (it’s not a sprint).  Start with 3-4 of those, and work up to 6-8 over a month or so.  An easy way to structure it is 1:40 of normal easy running between 20-second strides.  You do that on 1-2 of those weekly runs, you'll find yourself getting faster at the same "easy" effort level.
Alright, you motivated me to just see what I could do today.  I just worked overnight so I'm not even in optimal rest mode but figured I'd give it a shot. 

After my attempt yesterday, I realized that starting at a higher pace really did me in.  I think I did better the first time when I started more comfy and bumped it up.  So here's what I just did on the treadmill.

--Started at a 9:30 pace again after a short 2 minute walk warmup.  Shortly after starting, it felt a little labored but not anything I couldn't push through.  My initial thoughts were that this wasn't going to go well and I was going to get frustrated.  But, I let that go and didn't look at time or distance and just kept running.  Btw, I put my phone there on speaker and just had some music playing.  I just tried listening to the songs and not thinking about much

--As I was listening to music, I realized that the 2nd song was ending and didn't even realize that I had been running that long.  I peeked at the distance and it was almost 9/10ths of a mile.  That suddenly gave me a big boost in confidence.  I was feeling really good at that point even though I was sweating pretty good

--I started doing strides.  I bumped it to a 6:40 pace and did it for about 10 seconds and then brought it back down.  I was surprised that I wasn't winded by it at all and quickly fell back into my comfortable pace.  It was as if the stride didn't even happen.  I ended up doing 4 of those over the next few minutes.  None were terribly long (probably 10-12 seconds tops), but all felt ok.  I could have probably gone faster and/or longer but didn't want to push it the first time, especially since I was feeling good.

--As I was starting to feel comfy, I bumped up the pace to ~9:00 pace after the 2nd stride.  I remained there for most of the rest of the run (until I went up at the end)

--Next thing I know, I looked at distance and time again and I was now at 1.6 miles and still feeling good.  I then bumped it up to an 8:40 pace and did the remainder of the run there.  I finally stopped at 1.85 miles and finished that in 16 minutes.  Calculating it out, I just finished almost 2 miles at a ~9:00 pace. 

--I was definitely starting to feel it a bit at that point but I didn't want to overdo it so I just stopped.  I could have gone longer if I didn't bump up that final pace to see what I could do.  I also could have probably made it to the 2 mile mark, but I figured I've got time for that and this was good enough.  I got enough info from what I was able to do and how I responded.  Since stopping, I've felt great, not tired whatsoever, and feel like I could replicate and build on that.

Thanks to all of you that have responded so far.  It's been incredibly helpful, has given me some tips and ideas of how to do this, gave me some things to think about while running, and has provided some awesome motivation.  I have to admit that part of my run was thinking about SFBayDuck running what he just ran and thinking that what I was doing was a joke and is easy.

I haven't read through most of this thread, so if these long kind of updates like this are cluttering the thread, let me know and I'll gladly keep them shorter and less frequent.  Just didn't know if typing some of this out might help someone else or show something I should do better.

ETA -- Crazy how I hate how I feel while running, especially starting out, but how good I feel right now that it's done.  I actually feel refreshed and not tired whatsoever. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I'm a little uncomfortable with him doing those strides.  I'm not sure the benefit outweighs the risk of injury.  Just my opinion.

Always going to be that risk with someone new, but given his other activities I'm not as worried about it as I would be be one just getting off the couch. 
Yeah, without knowing much at all about running injuries, the strides didn't concern me much at all. I'm 6'2" and all I really did for them was take longer, comfortable strides and then back it down. 

My wife told me from the start that I should run taking small steps. When I started at a slower pace, it actually felt like more work for me than the 10:00 pace because it felt too small.

Overall, I'm much more worried about injuring myself with distance running which is why I have no interest to ever get into anything more than 3-4 miles. If I were going to try and improve, it would be on doing the shorter distances at a faster pace than doing 8+ mile runs. Maybe I have that wrong and would be more likely to hurt myself doing that, but I've seen enough long distance runners with stress fractures and other chronic type problems that I don't want to venture there.

Plus, the biggest motivation for me to do this is to use it as an aerobic workout to get into better shape and lose even more weight.  I feel I can accomplish that much better with faster and shorter runs.

Don't worry about that.  The guys here love giving advice to newbies. anyone who will listen.
Fyp

Always going to be that risk with someone new, but given his other activities I'm not as worried about it as I would be be one just getting off the couch. 
I had exactly the same sequence of thoughts 1. Be careful with the strides. 2. GM isn't a couch potato, iirc he actually plays sports where he might run faster for brief moments.  

Don't overdo it but you're probably fine.  Just be aware of your body. 

I was riding my bike yesterday and felt a bug hit my cheek and my helmet strap.  No biggie.  Turns out after a mile or so, it was a bee and stung my face right by my ear.  good thing I was close to home, but it ended my ride about halfway short.  Swelling wasn't too bad.

I was riding my bike yesterday and felt a bug hit my cheek and my helmet strap.  No biggie.  Turns out after a mile or so, it was a bee and stung my face right by my ear.  good thing I was close to home, but it ended my ride about halfway short.  Swelling wasn't too bad.
but how is the bee?

Gianmarco - not to mess with your mind, but regarding your stride: a key thing to watch is whether you're a heel striker due to overstriding.  That's not desirable. The other extreme is to short stride it. What is ideal is a midfoot (or even forefoot) stride ...a soft landing with the foot beneath the knee, which allows a solid push-off.  Overstriding and heel striking means you're effectively braking on each stride. ?

Gianmarco - not to mess with your mind, but regarding your stride: a key thing to watch is whether you're a heel striker due to overstriding.  That's not desirable. The other extreme is to short stride it. What is ideal is a midfoot (or even forefoot) stride ...a soft landing with the foot beneath the knee, which allows a solid push-off.  Overstriding and heel striking means you're effectively braking on each stride. ?
Oof. I guess I'm going to have to video this because I have no idea. 

Not entirely true as my PT mentioned the above when I was doing rehab from my torn ACL and I was trying to run for the first time. I think I was a heel striker, but I was definitely not taking a normal stride at that point due to compensating for the knee so I didn't think much of it after that. 

I don't even think about it at this point but I'm actually still less than 9 months out from my ACL repair. Luckily, all has been good with it and it hasn't caused my any pain or swelling or instability. But, I guess if I'm going to do this I should actually look at what you mentioned and get it right from the start. My wife did mention a few months ago when I was trying to run on my knee as it got better that I ran too upright.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'm going to see what I can find out about my stride.

Alright, I'm going to venture into this thread.  I'm a little scared.

Being completely honest, I hate running.  I've always hated running.  I love playing sports and used to play them for hours when I was younger (tennis, basketball, whatever....).  But just running has never been fun for me and the few times I've tried it I couldn't get into it and used to get lower back pain shortly afterward.

Well, my wife is a runner (did her first half marathon a few years ago) and does it on a regular basis now.  She recently did an 82 mile trail relay that I was the driver for and have to admit it was fun to be around it and see a race for the first time.  And, because one of the runners had to drop out near the end, I actually ran the last leg (2.6 miles) just to do it.  I don't think I've ever run more than a mile but was able to get it done with a combo of running and walking in about 27 minutes.  And this was with regular tennis shoes (not running shoes) that ended up killing some toes.

Well, fast forward a few weeks and I've bought some running shoes (first pair I've ever owned) and I've used the treadmill here a few times to do some cardio work for the first time.  During that race, I was probably walking about 2 minutes in (don't laugh), but now after just a few times, I've been able to run a mile at a 10 minute pace pretty comfortably and finally don't have any back pain after running.  The shoes really make a huge difference.

So now there's a 5k coming up in October that I want to run with my wife.  I figure now, with the right shoes, and a little bit of running, this will actually be fun.  I wasn't going to do any "training" as I know if I just keep bumping it up just a little I can get this thing done.  Except yesterday she asks me about looking up some training so that we can try and do it at an 8:30 minute pace :oldunsure: .  I'm like, "uh, I was just hoping to finish without having to walk". 

The gauntlet has been thrown.  And I'm trying to figure out if this is going to take a whole lot of work and/or be too difficult to get done for me.  She did say if all I want to do is finish, then she's fine doing that as well.  After she said that, I ran on the treadmill yesterday at a 9:15 pace for about a mile and then did another half mile at 8:20 pace and actually felt just fine at the end.  That's still a LONG ways away from what she's thinking.

So, from you runners.....is this possible for me over the next 2 1/2 months (traveling for July so training would likely start in August)?  Is this going to be really hard?  I don't want to ever really start doing any kind of long distances, so is this going to require having to run more than 3-4 miles at a time eventually?  Is she nuts? 

I'll hang up and listen.......
First of all, welcome!  You are going to love running and love this thread.  I actually just started checking it out a few weeks ago but the encouragement given on this page is great, and its fun reading other people's stories.  

Reading your post, one thing jumped out to me and thats the "traveling for July so training would likely start in August".  Is this travel for work?  If so, why wait?  I travel over half the time for work and I think running in different towns may help you.  You are seeing new things you never saw before, or at least never saw while jogging by.  I'd be willing to bet youll add on mileage you didnt know you were adding because youre distracted looking at new things.  Plus, it helps kill some of the down time on the road and keeps you from some of the habits we all fall into with work travel i.e. A drink or two at the bar, eating bad, etc.  Give it a try next time youre on the road for a few days, you just may love it!

Good luck!!!

First of all, welcome!  You are going to love running and love this thread.  I actually just started checking it out a few weeks ago but the encouragement given on this page is great, and its fun reading other people's stories.  

Reading your post, one thing jumped out to me and thats the "traveling for July so training would likely start in August".  Is this travel for work?  If so, why wait?  I travel over half the time for work and I think running in different towns may help you.  You are seeing new things you never saw before, or at least never saw while jogging by.  I'd be willing to bet youll add on mileage you didnt know you were adding because youre distracted looking at new things.  Plus, it helps kill some of the down time on the road and keeps you from some of the habits we all fall into with work travel i.e. A drink or two at the bar, eating bad, etc.  Give it a try next time youre on the road for a few days, you just may love it!

Good luck!!!
Two week trip to Alaska on a cruise. I'll work out while on the boat, but not going crazy.

Two week trip to Alaska on a cruise. I'll work out while on the boat, but not going crazy.
Ah, ok.  That makes more sense.  Definitely tougher on a cruise.  Ive never been on one but I heard a cruise in Alaska is amazing.  Since Ive never been on one Im not sure how it works, but those things are huge.  Can you run around the outside of it?  The views would be amazing and have the same affect of seeing a new city.  

That's always fun!  A few years ago on a run one hit me right in the mouth. I felt the sting on my lower lip and bit down, I think it flipped up over my lip and I bit it in half. Spit out the remnants, and then got worried about a reaction being stung that close to the airway so I cut straight across a big field toward my car where I knew I had some Benadryl. I was ok, but for a few days it looked like I got socked in the face. Good times. 

I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years back. 

There were a couple days at sea where we were in the open ocean (not near glaciers, etc).  My ship (Holland America) had the gym at the front up top.  It was a fabulous view from the treadmill so I took advantage on a couple of those days. 

Also, I ran when we were docked in Skagway.  Pretty easy to get a 5 mile run in and be up in the mountains there.  (Not sure if 5 miles is in the cards, but there was definitely a place to run there.)

Once we got to the land section, I didn't really run.  Denali was absolutely amazing but I'll admit I was freaked out by all the bears and moose around so running was a low priority for me.

Just food for thought.

I've been fighting the mother of all colds - had it for 3 weeks now.  I kept working out and running through it but it seemed to be getting worse and not better.  Unbelievable amount of congestion and my ears were stopped up too.  When I would blow my nose it sounded like a damn train whistle in my head.  My last two runs were epic failures - I'd start off slow, get warm speed up a little and then had nothing.  Stopped both well short of the distance/time I was shooting for.  Finally broke down and went to the minute clinic and yep, I have a cold - said my left ear was red but not a ton of fluid and with no fever she didn't think it was infected.  Said not to exercise so I asked WWDD and went out for a run the next morning - stupid as I barely got through .5 mile when I had to stop.  I've taken the last 2 days off but still have an unbelievable amount of congestion - she said my lungs sounded ok so I'm tempted to go run or lift tonight but I'm getting really freaking tired of this.

Sorry, just venting.

I've been fighting the mother of all colds - had it for 3 weeks now.  I kept working out and running through it but it seemed to be getting worse and not better.  Unbelievable amount of congestion and my ears were stopped up too.  When I would blow my nose it sounded like a damn train whistle in my head.  My last two runs were epic failures - I'd start off slow, get warm speed up a little and then had nothing.  Stopped both well short of the distance/time I was shooting for.  Finally broke down and went to the minute clinic and yep, I have a cold - said my left ear was red but not a ton of fluid and with no fever she didn't think it was infected.  Said not to exercise so I asked WWDD and went out for a run the next morning - stupid as I barely got through .5 mile when I had to stop.  I've taken the last 2 days off but still have an unbelievable amount of congestion - she said my lungs sounded ok so I'm tempted to go run or lift tonight but I'm getting really freaking tired of this.

Sorry, just venting.
Ugh, that sucks GB.  That energy you're burning in your workouts is needed to fight that virus.  Get some rest.

@JShare87 - if I recall, your marathon is coming up pretty quick. Where is that race?

If that race is down south, maybe think about bagging that race and reset for a marathon in cooler temps. Just a thought. 

2 questions:

1)  At these shorter distances I'm doing now (1-2 miles), is it ok to run every day or even a benefit to doing so?  At 15-20 minutes, I don't mind doing it but not sure if even at these lower amounts if I should take breaks and only do it every other day.

2)  That's what I get for putting the treadmill question first up top....so I'm putting it 2nd here.  Is running almost exclusively on the treadmill going to hurt?  Am I not going to be prepared unless I do some outdoor running as well?  If so, anything I can do to help with that other than run outside more?

@JShare87 - if I recall, your marathon is coming up pretty quick. Where is that race?

If that race is down south, maybe think about bagging that race and reset for a marathon in cooler temps. Just a thought. 
It is in 19 days. The race is in Washington state. The average SI will be around 100-120 at start time. That will feel amazing. I used the calculator you guys recommended (project five thirty eight) to see an estimated time based on my last 10K. It says I should run a 3:18. I plugged that number into another calculator for the course I'm running on and it shaved 12 minutes off because of the downhill and change in weather estimating a 3:06. I understand these times are estimations and based off my recent regression it seems like a long shot. Going out for an easy recovery run tomorrow. I can start sleeping in a bit more now because today was my last day of teaching summer school. So I have nothing but time to rest and hopefully train a bit if my body allows me to in the next 19 days. 

It is in 19 days. The race is in Washington state. The average SI will be around 100-120 at start time. That will feel amazing. I used the calculator you guys recommended (project five thirty eight) to see an estimated time based on my last 10K. It says I should run a 3:18. I plugged that number into another calculator for the course I'm running on and it shaved 12 minutes off because of the downhill and change in weather estimating a 3:06. I understand these times are estimations and based off my recent regression it seems like a long shot. Going out for an easy recovery run tomorrow. I can start sleeping in a bit more now because today was my last day of teaching summer school. So I have nothing but time to rest and hopefully train a bit if my body allows me to in the next 19 days. 
10K times aren't very good indicators of what kind of marathon you're going to run. ESPECIALLY your first. I know the competitive side of you is striving for a certain time but considering your situation, I think it would be very risky for you try to hold any certain pace in the first half of this race...much less in the low 7 min range. My advice would be keep the first very conservative and adjust around mile 15 if are you're feeling good.

What kind of downhill training have you done, btw? Those downhills can be hell on your quads. 

10K times aren't very good indicators of what kind of marathon you're going to run. ESPECIALLY your first. I know the competitive side of you is striving for a certain time but considering your situation, I think it would be very risky for you try to hold any certain pace in the first half of this race...much less in the low 7 min range. My advice would be keep the first very conservative and adjust around mile 15 if are you're feeling good.

What kind of downhill training have you done, btw? Those downhills can be hell on your quads. 
I understand that. After running the past 6 months pretty seriously, I understand my limitations. My HR is usually a pretty good indicator of my effort level, I'll trust it the day of the race. I am going to try and play it safe and keep my HR under 155 for the first 15-20 miles. I think in those conditions, on that course, my pace with a 155 HR will be close to 7:00 min per mile. I have done zero downhill training (no hills around me). I have been watching videos and reading about downhill running, (I understand this won't help) guess it is just something I will have to get through on race day. 

Bottom line is that I will listen to my body the day of the race. I'm not going to push unreasonable splits. If I'm having a good day, I truly believe I am capable of getting close to 3:05 given the fast course. But that will all be based off my HR and body the morning of the race. Hopefully I am feeling good and having a good day. Also, I hope I don't come across as someone that doesn't value the advice in here. I really appreciate the help and advice everyone has given me. This place is an awesome source of inspiration and advice for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread