What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

So, Big Ben doesn't know if he's gonna play next season or not. Wonderful.
I never like to hear such talk, would of course be devastating. But I think this is just another case of a player who loves to give in-depth injury updates and might at times be accused of being a drama queen living up to his persona.

Ok crop of stop gap QB's out there this offseason if needed. I think if Ben were to leave it would be imparitive to bring back Bell in the short term at least. I'll be sad if Ben goes, he was always slightly beneath Brady and Manning but what a career he has had.

The best free agents are:

Kirk Cousins, Ryan Fitzpatrick, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, Brian Hoyer, Blaine Gabbert and our own Landry Jones.

I would imagine they aren't getting into a bidding war for Cousins  so looking at the rest of the FAs, the best option is to give Ben whatever he wants to get him to come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
...the best option is to give Ben whatever he wants to get him to come back.
Agreed. If not, I vote for Romo. Behind our line he would take minimal pressure, as compared to many other QB needy teams.  We'd have a mediocre chance of keeping him upright, and although he hasn't won big in the playoffs, he is a talented QB who could do well with Bryant and Brown.

BUT, we won't need him. Ben will be back. He will be back. He will be back...

Agreed. If not, I vote for Romo. Behind our line he would take minimal pressure, as compared to many other QB needy teams.  We'd have a mediocre chance of keeping him upright, and although he hasn't won big in the playoffs, he is a talented QB who could do well with Bryant and Brown.

BUT, we won't need him. Ben will be back. He will be back. He will be back...
It would surprise me to see the Steelers make a trade to get Romo but I agree that he would be better than the list of available FAs.

Assuming no trade and a gun held to my head I would lean towards Glennon or Hoyer.

Well who are the top QBs projected to come out in the 2018 draft?  If Ben retires, are we as fans willing to suck it up for a year and hope that our draft position is low enough to get another stud QB?

Romo would be 1 and Glennon 2 for me. I wouldn't want Cousins for what he will cost to both contractually and draft pick wise.

Well who are the top QBs projected to come out in the 2018 draft?  If Ben retires, are we as fans willing to suck it up for a year and hope that our draft position is low enough to get another stud QB?
Sure if you knew that going in but you don't.    Despite what happened on Sunday this Steelers team is pretty good, young and should improve.   I am pretty darn sure that Ben isn't walking away in 2017 but might not be around in 2018.   I would definitely look at drafting a QB with a top 3 pick and begin the grooming under Ben right away.

Romo would be 1 and Glennon 2 for me. I wouldn't want Cousins for what he will cost to both contractually and draft pick wise.
Yep.  They won't be in running for Cousins and I don't think they would trade for Romo.  Glennon would be #1 for me, followed by Hoyer.  After that you might as well stick with the Laundry man and hope for a high pick in the 2018 draft.

It would surprise me to see the Steelers make a trade to get Romo but I agree that he would be better than the list of available FAs.

Assuming no trade and a gun held to my head I would lean towards Glennon or Hoyer.
I was assuming that the Cowboys cut Romo, but I doubt we'd trade for him.

Also, now there's talk that the Steelers are fed up with Brown's "Me First" mentality and are looking to trade him.

Apparently the season of ridiculous reporting has begun. Ben isn't leaving (he stated in an under-reported follow-up quote that at his age he'll begin to look at retirement every year) and we're not going to trade arguably the best WR in the NFL. Unless it's to Atlanta for Julio.

I was assuming that the Cowboys cut Romo, but I doubt we'd trade for him.

Also, now there's talk that the Steelers are fed up with Brown's "Me First" mentality and are looking to trade him.

Apparently the season of ridiculous reporting has begun. Ben isn't leaving (he stated in an under-reported follow-up quote that at his age he'll begin to look at retirement every year) and we're not going to trade arguably the best WR in the NFL. Unless it's to Atlanta for Julio.
Yeah you get a lot of this, dare I say it, "fake news" now that the season is over.

bananafish said:
Ben is going to up and quit when he has the best offensive weapons of his career? Seems drama queeny.
I'm not going to dismiss it. Arians decided to put him through car crash after car crash early in his career, combined with the literal stupidity of an actual motorcycle accident. He's take a lot of hard shots in his career. I wouldn't want to end up like Brad Johnson.

Ben is a mortal lock to play at least three more years, unless he wins another ring and decides to end it right there. But even in that case, and I would be thrilled and satisfied, of course, it would be tough for him to say no to going for ring #4 to tie Bradshaw. Anyway, he is playing in 2017. No way he leaves given the state of the O-line, the emergence of LBell, and the offensive weapons at his disposal. Plus, he's got to feed three kids and keep a wife happy.

Ben is a mortal lock to play at least three more years, unless he wins another ring and decides to end it right there. But even in that case, and I would be thrilled and satisfied, of course, it would be tough for him to say no to going for ring #4 to tie Bradshaw. Anyway, he is playing in 2017. No way he leaves given the state of the O-line, the emergence of LBell, and the offensive weapons at his disposal. Plus, he's got to feed three kids and keep a wife happy.
Pretty sure he has to win ring #3 before he can make a run at 4.  Are you predicting Pittsburgh to win 2 of the next 3-4?  That seems highly unlikely, even as a "best case" scenario.

Just saying that if Ben gets ring #3 in the near future, I could see him feeling it would be a good time to hang up the cleats. But he may also look at it a different way--that he could extend his career to go after #4 since that would tie him with Bradshaw.

To be clear, though, I am not predicting a Steelers Super Bowl win any time soon. After that shellacking, I doubt the ability of the Steelers to even get there under this coaching staff. In that case, feels like 3 years minimum for Ben, IMO.

While I don't think he will, if Roethlisberger retired, it wouldn't surprise me.  He has taken a lot of abuse over the years and gets hurt nearly every year.  Plus, he can't move around like he used to, so the hits are just going to get more frequent.  I can see him wanting to get out and thinking about his long term future with his wife and kids.  Not every football player wants to play till their 40 and then barely be able to walk at 50.

Copeman said:
So, Big Ben doesn't know if he's gonna play next season or not. Wonderful.
If I was Ben I wouldn't want to play for Tomlin either, so maybe this is a ploy to get Him fired at least I hope!

If I was Ben I wouldn't want to play for Tomlin either, so maybe this is a ploy to get Him fired at least I hope!
Funny you should mention this, just got done reading Peter King article where he stated he felt Ben really had little chance of retiring and that he is frustrated with 3 people in particular. Haley for the lack of offensive output in playoffs, Brown for selfishness and Tomlin for not reigning in Brown's selfish behavior. Something like that. Does not mean he wants Tomlin fired, but interesting.

Heard someone else talking today, can't remember who, and they felt he was sending a message to entire organization, letting them know his window was short and time to get aggressive.

I don't know, but I did notice that last week when defended the organization against Edelman's "that's how they do business" quip he never referenced the coaching staff, just the owner. Which I thought was kind of odd anyway, if anything Edelman was attacking the way the team is coached not the owners.

But let's say any of those premises are accurate. That he is sending a message to the front office that his window is short, that he's frustrated with Brown being selfish, with Tomlin being to lax, with Haley's offense, if he's unhappy with any of those things and wants something corrected or changed I can't help but agree. And for the record I don't want Tomlin fired, Haley fired or Brown not retained but I think all three of them could do better, as could Ben.

While I don't think he will, if Roethlisberger retired, it wouldn't surprise me.  He has taken a lot of abuse over the years and gets hurt nearly every year.  Plus, he can't move around like he used to, so the hits are just going to get more frequent.  I can see him wanting to get out and thinking about his long term future with his wife and kids.  Not every football player wants to play till their 40 and then barely be able to walk at 50.
While I agree with most of your post, Ben was hit the fewest times in his entire career in 2016.

Funny you should mention this, just got done reading Peter King article where he stated he felt Ben really had little chance of retiring and that he is frustrated with 3 people in particular. Haley for the lack of offensive output in playoffs, Brown for selfishness and Tomlin for not reigning in Brown's selfish behavior. Something like that. Does not mean he wants Tomlin fired, but interesting.

Heard someone else talking today, can't remember who, and they felt he was sending a message to entire organization, letting them know his window was short and time to get aggressive.

I don't know, but I did notice that last week when defended the organization against Edelman's "that's how they do business" quip he never referenced the coaching staff, just the owner. Which I thought was kind of odd anyway, if anything Edelman was attacking the way the team is coached not the owners.

But let's say any of those premises are accurate. That he is sending a message to the front office that his window is short, that he's frustrated with Brown being selfish, with Tomlin being to lax, with Haley's offense, if he's unhappy with any of those things and wants something corrected or changed I can't help but agree. And for the record I don't want Tomlin fired, Haley fired or Brown not retained but I think all three of them could do better, as could Ben.
I can agree with this.   The fact is this team could be poised for a serious run in 2017 if the front office adopted a "win now" attitude towards free agency this offseason and maybe that is what Ben is trying to say.   I doubt that they will because it is just not how this franchise is run, but the Steelers may need to operate outside their comfort zone and sign a high-profile free agent or two.

They did it last season with LaDarius Green and it didn't work out but that is no reason not to try it again for a legitimate #2 WR (if you're unsure of Bryant & Coates), an OLB that can bring pressure, an upgrade at FS or a cover corner.

You won't be able to do ALL of that in Free Agency of course, but I think Ben is sending a clear signal out that if there was ever a time to do it, now's the time.

They should go hard after Kenny Stills. Can stretch the field and has decent hands and he's only 25. A nice back up plan or replacement for Bryant if he doesn't pan out. 

And now both Roethlisburger & Tomlin are publically calling out Antonio Brown for pouting and wanting the ball? :o  

Man. This team is just seriously falling apart after that loss. 

:popcorn:

You won't be able to do ALL of that in Free Agency of course, but I think Ben is sending a clear signal out that if there was ever a time to do it, now's the time.
Agree - but it's kind of a douchey way to do it just a couple days after that loss, in public. 

He could have addressed this all privately with the team and been just as effective.

Either way he's threatening to take his ball and go home, which I can never get behind. 

I realize google is very difficult to use, but here ya go. 

"Speaking on his radio show Tuesday, Ben Roethlisberger called out Antonio Brown for "pouting" when he doesn't get the ball. "He's one of the best in the business, and the plays that he makes and has made over his career are so special," Roethlisberger said. "I think sometimes that overshadows the extra stuff: the hands up, the arms up, the frustrations, the pouting, the things like that." Coach Mike Tomlin even hinted at this at his season-ending media session. Overall, it's not a big deal, but with Brown entering the final year of his contract, there have been whispers about the Steelers potentially dangling Brown as trade bait. Ultimately, expect him to get a handsome extension in Pittsburgh. Plenty of star receivers in NFL history have been divas in a sense. Jan 25 - 9:53 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I realize google is very difficult to use, but here ya go. 

"Speaking on his radio show Tuesday, Ben Roethlisberger called out Antonio Brown for "pouting" when he doesn't get the ball. "He's one of the best in the business, and the plays that he makes and has made over his career are so special," Roethlisberger said. "I think sometimes that overshadows the extra stuff: the hands up, the arms up, the frustrations, the pouting, the things like that." Coach Mike Tomlin even hinted at this at his season-ending media session. Overall, it's not a big deal, but with Brown entering the final year of his contract, there have been whispers about the Steelers potentially dangling Brown as trade bait. Ultimately, expect him to get a handsome extension in Pittsburgh. Plenty of star receivers in NFL history have been divas in a sense. Jan 25 - 9:53 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown
Nothing wrong with that.  A leader is supposed to call out his BS.  AB issued another apology so maybe he's getting the point.   If he doesn't like it then he can decline the contract extension he will be offered, play out 2017, and enter FA in 2018.  It isn't like he's going to refuse to catch passes thrown by Ben next season.

Nothing wrong with that.  A leader is supposed to call out his BS.  AB issued another apology so maybe he's getting the point.   If he doesn't like it then he can decline the contract extension he will be offered, play out 2017, and enter FA in 2018.  It isn't like he's going to refuse to catch passes thrown by Ben next season.
Actually there's a lot wrong with it. 

It's showing yet more cracks in the veneer of this team. Publicaly calling out your best receiver while talking retirement is  terrible - not at all what I'd call "leadership".

and the Steelers have shown in the past that they have no qualms shipping off their top targets. 

Steelers sound petty dysfunctional right now. I see no way to paint this with a rosy brush. 

Actually there's a lot wrong with it. 

It's showing yet more cracks in the veneer of this team. Publicaly calling out your best receiver while talking retirement is  terrible - not at all what I'd call "leadership".

and the Steelers have shown in the past that they have no qualms shipping off their top targets. 

Steelers sound petty dysfunctional right now. I see no way to paint this with a rosy brush. 
Well everyone's entitled to their opinion.   Maybe the team is falling apart but I've seen this team weather much worse offseason "news" than this.   My bet is that all of this will be long forgotten come training camp. 

Well everyone's entitled to their opinion.   Maybe the team is falling apart but I've seen this team weather much worse offseason "news" than this.   My bet is that all of this will be long forgotten come training camp. 
Possible sure.

wasnt this a bit like hownthey parted ways with Mike Wallace though? 

Possible sure.

wasnt this a bit like hownthey parted ways with Mike Wallace though? 
Not at all.  The Steelers offered Wallace an extension, he declined, became a free agent and signed a huge contract with Miami.  I don't recall Ben calling out Wallace for his antics and that being the reason for his leaving, I think it was simply Wallace knowing the Steelers would never pay what he was going to get on the open market.    

If AB doesn't accept the extension that is almost certainly coming his way this offseason then he may do the same thing but if he does, my guess it won't have much to do with Ben or Tomlin as much as it has to do with money.

Not at all.  The Steelers offered Wallace an extension, he declined, became a free agent and signed a huge contract with Miami.  I don't recall Ben calling out Wallace for his antics and that being the reason for his leaving, I think it was simply Wallace knowing the Steelers would never pay what he was going to get on the open market.    

If AB doesn't accept the extension that is almost certainly coming his way this offseason then he may do the same thing but if he does, my guess it won't have much to do with Ben or Tomlin as much as it has to do with money.
:goodposting:

Last time I remember news being so out about a player causing problems it was Mike Wallace, before that Santonio Holmes, before that Plaxico Burress... see a pattern?

Last time I remember news being so out about a player causing problems it was Mike Wallace, before that Santonio Holmes, before that Plaxico Burress... see a pattern?
You'd think if they want to trade him they wouldn't let bad news out.

You'd think if they want to trade him they wouldn't let bad news out.
Yeah...except in this case, he kind of let the "news" out himself...live...in the locker room. 

But to his point, I thought the exact same thing - It wouldn't be the 1st time the Steelers have let their #1 WR go for one reason or another.  Admittedly I think Brown >>> All those guys, but still.  They're not quite the Pats who refuse to pay anyone not named Brady, but I think they have more payroll discipline (and morals) than most teams.

Brown has developed a big head. Before last season he was Mr Professional. Now he's dicking up the field like Beckham.

Regarding Brown "chasing stats," when I heard that, the first thing I thought of was the end of the Dallas game, where they needed a miracle to win at the end, but Brown simply ran out of bounds after getting as much yardage as he could instead of lateraling the ball to anyone to at least give them a shot of scoring on a miracle. 

Regarding Brown "chasing stats," when I heard that, the first thing I thought of was the end of the Dallas game, where they needed a miracle to win at the end, but Brown simply ran out of bounds after getting as much yardage as he could instead of lateraling the ball to anyone to at least give them a shot of scoring on a miracle. 
That was pretty weird.

Also, I highly doubt we trade Brown. He's one of our best players, and one of the best in the League.  He works harder then everyone else on the team.  He should be able to get right with everyone.  And, there are usually warts that get magnified after a tough loss (See Giants/Boat).  If we had won, 0 people would be talking about trading AB, and you don't get better by getting rid of your best players.

steelers1080 said:
That was pretty weird.

Also, I highly doubt we trade Brown. He's one of our best players, and one of the best in the League.  He works harder then everyone else on the team.  He should be able to get right with everyone.  And, there are usually warts that get magnified after a tough loss (See Giants/Boat).  If we had won, 0 people would be talking about trading AB, and you don't get better by getting rid of your best players.
AB has been behaving badly but IMO his antics are a lot less harmful to the team than Bryant's or Bell's.  As long as Ben is sticking around you need to give him weapons and bailing on Brown would be pretty stupid unless his contract extension demands are completely out of line.  If that's the case you have him play out the contract in 2017 and decide whether or not you want to slap a franchise tag on him in 2018.

I really think the Steelers need to go with defense (pass rusher or cover corner) with the #1.  Maybe a TE:  Jesse James did a nice job and is coming along but Green just carries too much uncertainty.   It is also time to use a top 3 pick on a QB that can be groomed behind Ben.  Maybe a backup RB with the #4 or 5.

Users who are viewing this thread