What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ladarius Green's value (1 Viewer)

CON: Roethlisberger is a different QB on away games (and they're playing AT Cincy) plus the zone/man point brought up by ctm above.
While the bold is typically true, Cincinnati is probably one of the exceptions.  He's 18-7 for his career vs. the Bengals, and he's 10 and 2 in Riverfront.  He does throw his share of picks in that building (16:9 TD to INT), but he's had some good games there in the recent past.  Over 75% comp% and near 300 yards last year(no TDs though, but it was a win), and a gigantic game in '14 with 350 yards and 3 TDs(also a win).

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have the data/time/willingness to expand on this?

Is the zone-vs-man comparison being drawn from 2016's limited sample set or is this something that's been obvious in prior NFL years (and college)?

This can have serious repercussions on a polarizing player.

PRO: Brilliant flashes two weeks ago and going against a defense that unfurls a red carpet for opposing TEs.

CON: Roethlisberger is a different QB on away games (and they're playing AT Cincy) plus the zone/man point brought up by ctm above.

FBG's early projections aren't a fan of Green this weekend (TE2 ranking). Thoughts from the boards?
I haven't done the work here, but my thought process is, in the Bell/Brown era, what have they done vs what has the WR2 done vs Cincy.  You simply have to account for Brown and Bell, even a zone will roll coverage, I should think Green will have opportunity based on what those guys can do as the third option in the offense. 

I'll probably spend a little more time looking at numbers but thats my inital thought.   Green sure looked the part vs the giants, who traditionally get eaten alive by the TE but have much much less this year.   But his success seemed to be in the relative attention paid to Bell and Brown

Does anyone have the data/time/willingness to expand on this?

Is the zone-vs-man comparison being drawn from 2016's limited sample set or is this something that's been obvious in prior NFL years (and college)?

This can have serious repercussions on a polarizing player.

PRO: Brilliant flashes two weeks ago and going against a defense that unfurls a red carpet for opposing TEs.

FBG's early projections aren't a fan of Green this weekend (TE2 ranking). Thoughts from the boards?
Personally, I'm never a fan of playing the matchup game based on historical metrics. Too often, things don't work out nearly as expected based on paper.

To me, the best course of action is to go with the guy who is more involved in the offense - targets equal opportunities. Green has upside of course, but his usage is not definitive like, say, even a Fiedorowicz-type.

Outside of his one big game, Green's been either a complete bum or pretty ordinary. I know we're all hoping for that huge game again but I don't know how you guys who have TEs who are clearly involved in the offense every week like Walker and Brate are considering Green over them. I guess if you're heavy underdogs and need to swing for the fences maybe? But does Green really have more upside than Delanie Walker or Jimmy Graham? I know Graham stunk last week but that's pretty hard for me to buy. And Winston seems to love throwing to Brate right now, arguably more than he loves throwing to Evans, which is really pissing me off as an Evans owner. 

I think the tougher call is for Green owners who have Gates or a banged-up Reed or maybe Olsen who isn't putting up the type of points he was earlier in the year, guys like that.  

The good news for Green is he is getting a lot of RZ love from Ben. He's among the TE leaders right now in RZ targets. The bad news is they're struggling badly to convert them into TDs (just 1 of 6 in the past four games). If you're a law of averages person I guess the hope is at some point all those attempts will finally result in something positive happening. And like others have said the matchup this week is great.   

I view green as a low end te1. I am making a claim because my opponent has Houstons te who was concussed... call it a #### move but I call it smart.
Yep. I've taken him as a defensive move. I have Eiffert, but my forthcoming l opponent who was on bye last week had Gronk backed up by Jesse James. Seems he took his eyes off things for a week and now I've cornered him into a little hole. All's fair in love and fantasy football

Outside of his one big game, Green's been either a complete bum or pretty ordinary.  
I've watched the games. He's getting the looks. They haven't turned into catches yet, but Ben has relied on him. His primary reads are AB and Bell. Then it seems to be a mix between Green/Eli Rogers and then Hamilton. The potential is there, he's getting the looks, it's a matter of time before they connect again. 

FWIW I'm starting him over Jordan Reed due to his injury. A healthy Reed > Green obviously. 

Green had a rough day in the snow but that was partly because Ben was all over the place. He was on the field for 37 offensive snaps, which is a bit low. But he was targeted on 20% of those snaps.  Assuming the weather is fine he could have a good day in Cincy.  Recently Ben has been very different Home vs Away, so Green is a safer play in weeks 16 and 17 when the Steelers are at home.

I've watched the games. He's getting the looks. They haven't turned into catches yet, but Ben has relied on him. His primary reads are AB and Bell. Then it seems to be a mix between Green/Eli Rogers and then Hamilton. The potential is there, he's getting the looks, it's a matter of time before they connect again. 

FWIW I'm starting him over Jordan Reed due to his injury. A healthy Reed > Green obviously. 
Yeah I agree he's getting the looks but like I said outside of one game they really haven't resulted in production and the production is all that matters, especially this time of the fantasy season. We're running out of "He'll get his next week." I'm starting him this week but I don't have a Walker, Graham or even Brate as another option. If I did they would definitely go in over Green for me. In Week 15 I'd be going with someone who's getting consistent receptions or someone like Graham who's clearly a stud talent and is back at home in a game his team should put up some major offensive production. 

But as it is I'm not in that position so it's Green for me and I'm hoping that all those targets he's getting results in some production since he wasn't on my team when he had that big game. I had him last week when he stunk up the joint from a production perspective.   

Yeah I agree he's getting the looks but like I said outside of one game they really haven't resulted in production and the production is all that matters, especially this time of the fantasy season. We're running out of "He'll get his next week." I'm starting him this week but I don't have a Walker, Graham or even Brate as another option. If I did they would definitely go in over Green for me. In Week 15 I'd be going with someone who's getting consistent receptions or someone like Graham who's clearly a stud talent and is back at home in a game his team should put up some major offensive production. 

But as it is I'm not in that position so it's Green for me and I'm hoping that all those targets he's getting results in some production since he wasn't on my team when he had that big game. I had him last week when he stunk up the joint from a production perspective.   
It's a dicey play. It all depends on what each person's other options are. I can't say I have a ton of confidence in the play, but I'm hopeful.

So my opponent was on top of things and out bid me for Green (I only had 5% left, bid all of it, he had 33% left). 

So naturally I think Green will have a terrible week :)

Outside of his one big game, Green's been either a complete bum or pretty ordinary. I know we're all hoping for that huge game again but I don't know how you guys who have TEs who are clearly involved in the offense every week like Walker and Brate are considering Green over them. I guess if you're heavy underdogs and need to swing for the fences maybe? But does Green really have more upside than Delanie Walker or Jimmy Graham? I know Graham stunk last week but that's pretty hard for me to buy. And Winston seems to love throwing to Brate right now, arguably more than he loves throwing to Evans, which is really pissing me off as an Evans owner. 

I think the tougher call is for Green owners who have Gates or a banged-up Reed or maybe Olsen who isn't putting up the type of points he was earlier in the year, guys like that.  

The good news for Green is he is getting a lot of RZ love from Ben. He's among the TE leaders right now in RZ targets. The bad news is they're struggling badly to convert them into TDs (just 1 of 6 in the past four games). If you're a law of averages person I guess the hope is at some point all those attempts will finally result in something positive happening. And like others have said the matchup this week is great.   
Brate was targeted 5 times for a 4/47/0 line last week and 5 times for a 4/49 /0 line 2 games before. In between he had a good but lesser game than Green. Brate averages 5 targets a game that may or may not be catchable and will be worth a point if they are. He's ordinary and TD-dependent like just about every TE. I wouldn't call it swinging for the fences to take someone over Brate, now Graham and Walker maybe.

Brate was targeted 5 times for a 4/47/0 line last week and 5 times for a 4/49 /0 line 2 games before. In between he had a good but lesser game than Green. Brate averages 5 targets a game that may or may not be catchable and will be worth a point if they are. He's ordinary and TD-dependent like just about every TE. I wouldn't call it swinging for the fences to take someone over Brate, now Graham and Walker maybe.
Yeah good point. Green over Brate probably isn't a crazy idea. Just feels like Green is more boom or bust than Brate is. Brate probably a higher floor type/lower upside kind of option. 

Yeah good point. Green over Brate probably isn't a crazy idea. Just feels like Green is more boom or bust than Brate is. Brate probably a higher floor type/lower upside kind of option. 
Agree. Brate will likely post 8-9 points. Green has potential to score 1-2 TDs this week, but could also end up with 2/25. 

I like Green's matchup. If you look at the last few Steeler games it seems like 2 weeks ago it was Brown with multiple TDs. Last week was Bell. So is this week someone else's turn as defenses shift focus? I don't know. But I certainly hate that I have to find out... 

That being said, if it were me, and I had to choose between Brate and Green, I'd take Brate. I think Brate is a top 5 TE option this week

Agree. Brate will likely post 8-9 points. Green has potential to score 1-2 TDs this week, but could also end up with 2/25. 

I like Green's matchup. If you look at the last few Steeler games it seems like 2 weeks ago it was Brown with multiple TDs. Last week was Bell. So is this week someone else's turn as defenses shift focus? I don't know. But I certainly hate that I have to find out... 

That being said, if it were me, and I had to choose between Brate and Green, I'd take Brate. I think Brate is a top 5 TE option this week
For me, it would depend on need. If I felt like I had to swing for the fences I might go Green with the matchup being what it is (although Cowboys are giving up a lot of fantasy points to QBs so on paper Winston should do very well this week). Brate's pretty solid so if I wanted to play it safe I'd lean toward him. There's so much talk right now in Tampa about how Evans is slumping you would think a huge point of emphasis would be to get him back on track this week so maybe that takes away from Brate? Just a guess. But Green seems to be boom or bust no matter how you slice it and Ben struggling on the road doesn't make the decision any easier. 

I have Brate and Ertz but still playing Green. Just a hunch but I think Cincy saw what Leveon did last week and those linebackers are going to be frozen on the play action leaving Green with lots of looks. 

9 yards a target is pretty damn good.

And he's basically been fully back for two weeks.  So "outside of one game" is... one game.
I'm definitely loving the targets, especially in the EZ. Now I want the production. You would think that all those targets, especially in the RZ, would begin to result in some consistent production. Let's hope it happens this week. Matchup definitely in his favor. 

Green has only played 97 offensive snaps so far this year. So his 232 receiving yards give him an average of 2.39 yards per snap. For comparison, this season's top TEs are between 1.0 and 1.6 yards per snap (Gronk, Kelce, Reed, Graham, Walker, Olsen). Green has done more than you could reasonably hope for when he's been on the field.

The main negative is that he hasn't been on the field that much. Just 37% of snaps in week 14, 48% in week 13, and less before that.

Ladarius Green exited Week 15 against the Bengals with a possible concussion.
Green came up with a massive 27-yard grab on third down late in the fourth quarter to extend a clock-killing drive, but he took a big hit to the head by George Iloka. He was almost immediately taken to the locker room. Green had five catches for 72 yards before exiting.

Dec 18 - 4:14 PM

If anybody has any news as to whether Green actually sustained a concussion please post it. He looked very shaken up on the play so I wouldn't be surprised. And if memory serves me right he has a history of concussions? Or migraines? If it is a concussion it's unlikely he's going to play week 16 as most guys aren't playing the following week as of late.

If anybody has any news as to whether Green actually sustained a concussion please post it. He looked very shaken up on the play so I wouldn't be surprised. And if memory serves me right he has a history of concussions? Or migraines? If it is a concussion it's unlikely he's going to play week 16 as most guys aren't playing the following week as of late.
I'm praying it's not a concussion. 

I'm playing Coby effing Fleener in the super bowl if so. 

He's been better than Green the past two weeks. 
Just a trust issue. Green is in an offense that's supposed to be explosive. But based on his history and that hit, I'm thinking he's not playing next week. Plus they're playing a tough Baltimore defense even if he does play.

Just a trust issue. Green is in an offense that's supposed to be explosive. But based on his history and that hit, I'm thinking he's not playing next week. Plus they're playing a tough Baltimore defense even if he does play.
Oh I know. I had Sims at the bottom of my bid list the week I picked up Green. I just think it's funny how he's outproducing him now. 

Funny in a "I can't believe I spent all that money in FAAB for Green and Dion Freakin Sims is putting up more points than he is now" kinda way. 

Although it was a small sample I find it very telling that Green looked much better playing with Big Ben than he did playing with Rivers. 

I always thought he looked excellent with Rivers when they actually let him on the field. Main reason I targeted him this year.

Meh I don't suspect it will be a popular opinion in this forum but it's pretty obvious he was being used more in Pittsburgh almost immediately. 

Meh I don't suspect it will be a popular opinion in this forum but it's pretty obvious he was being used more in Pittsburgh almost immediately. 
I don't know if your statement is true (it might be I just have no idea) but one thing to consider is that Pittsburgh has virtually no offensive weapons aside from Bell and Brown.  Ben needs Green to be that 3rd weapon.

Yeah I considered that but SD had an aging Gates, Keenan Allen, Woodhead, and maybe someone I'm missing. Not one of the above players at that point in their careers was the red zone or down field threat Green was. 

Green should have started in front of Gates last year and he should have been the second most targeted receiving option on that team and a focal point in the red zone. Winning teams take advantage of match ups. Green's usage last year should have looked similar to Graham's usage in NO. 

Greens career is in serious jeopardy. It sucks on a personal level because I've defended him so much on this forum but the silver lining is I know the talent I saw is there and I can't wait to find the next Ladarius Green. 

Yeah I considered that but SD had an aging Gates, Keenan Allen, Woodhead, and maybe someone I'm missing. Not one of the above players at that point in their careers was the red zone or down field threat Green was. 
Gates was still a terrific RZ option when Green was there. He still is now as a matter of fact. Woodhead's damn good too when he's healthy. I wouldn't dismiss either of them so quickly.

But more importantly than what happened to Green in San Diego is his health this week. Anyone see any updates? I didn't see a single one anywhere yesterday. Any locals have anything on Green? I'm assuming he's out this week but just curious if anything was updated at all yesterday that I might have missed. 

Green in concussion protocol. I'm no doctor but based on his history I wouldn't expect him to play this week and for those in Week 17 leagues he might be done for the regular season. Just saying that based on his lengthy concussion history.

" Ladarius Green was placed in concussion protocol."

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20161219/steelers_focused_squarely_on_beating_the_ravens#.WFlcY55BDF0.twitter 
My thoughts as well. Time to drop him to block my opponent from getting anybody they could use against me on WW.

My options are busted shoulder Jordan Reed or concussed Fiedorowicz. All 3 of my TEs are not doing well. I might have to start Dion Sims!
If   Fiedorowicz is out again this week,I'm grabbing and starting Griffin at TE this week(Now that Houston finally switched QB's) more upside I think. I own Green too,but I don't trust him even if he does play.to risky for the Championship!!!!! 

If   Fiedorowicz is out again this week,I'm grabbing and starting Griffin at TE this week(Now that Houston finally switched QB's) more upside I think. I own Green too,but I don't trust him even if he does play.to risky for the Championship!!!!! 
Griffin was snagged in my league :(

It's not a 'popular' opinion because the idea that you, @Milkman, watched film and saw Green running wide open and being ignored all the time by Rivers and the coaching staff is absurd. HTH.

Just Win Baby said:
It's not a 'popular' opinion because the idea that you, @Milkman, watched film and saw Green running wide open and being ignored all the time by Rivers and the coaching staff is absurd. HTH.
Nah it's the truth. Sorry that's not a narrative that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I know you're a Chargers fan. It didn't take long for Green to equal his best game as a pro in Pittsburgh though. He was running wide open in that game too. Only difference is Big Ben threw it to him. 

Users who are viewing this thread