What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I want to buy a Honda Pilot (BOUGHT Acura Integra ASpec-Tech) tomorrow.... (1 Viewer)

I'll have to read this closer, thought we were set on doing a Highlander but will revisit the Pilot and reference the guy on the Internet that got one for 35k if we go that route.

NEVER buy the first year of a redesign.
This is the last year BEFORE the redesign.
I know...I should have been more specific as was responding to the guy stating to wait for the new one.
that was me. how come?
A lot of people will tell you its because the demand is way up and as a result, the price goes up and/or you lose some bargaining leverage.

My reason is all the tiny little things they don't get ironed out until the following year or two. Yes, these cars are engineered with hundreds of thousands of man hours, but inevitably there are oversights. The first year model may have some funky defect with a wiring harness or when you use your wipers, the wiper fluid leaks into your car.

Seems small but not to me when I'm dropping close to 40 grand.

I'll have to read this closer, thought we were set on doing a Highlander but will revisit the Pilot and reference the guy on the Internet that got one for 35k if we go that route.
Got the best one they offer for that BTW. 4x4, rims, roof rack, navigation, DVD player, and all kinds of smaller extras. Its the 4x4 touring with navigation. They have another similar one that isn't as good. Ex-L I think. Hold out for the one I got. Good luck. This things a beast!

I know this is going to sound strange because it did to me. Make sure you go look at the Kia Sorento's as well. I thought they were still a crappy car manufacturing company and was so pleasantly surprised this weekend that I bought one. Best looking interior in a car that have seen in a long time. It also helps that Kia has Audi's old chief designer designing their cars. Plus you get the 10 year 100K warranty.

I bought the 2015 Honda Pilot Touring 4x4 navigation with all the toys online for 35400. I bought it from the same place where Randall purchased his. I got the metallic colored one and its pretty cool. We test drove a new Toyota Highlander just to see, and it was very weak in comparison. No comparison really. Thanks for all your help guys. True car allowed me to start a bidding war and thanks for the info.
Sweet. When I trade in my '15 CRV for an upgrade in a couple years I'll expect a little referral discount from them. "Hi I'm randall - from the internets."

I'll note it in the paperwork today. They also did my airbag recalls on the accords last month and they were decent. Thanks

I know...I should have been more specific as was responding to the guy stating to wait for the new one.
that was me. how come?
A lot of people will tell you its because the demand is way up and as a result, the price goes up and/or you lose some bargaining leverage.

My reason is all the tiny little things they don't get ironed out until the following year or two. Yes, these cars are engineered with hundreds of thousands of man hours, but inevitably there are oversights. The first year model may have some funky defect with a wiring harness or when you use your wipers, the wiper fluid leaks into your car.

My wife is thinking of replacing her leased Odyssey with a leased Pilot this fall. For a lease, this doesn't apply as much right? Its not like you're stuck with it.

One note about the pilot....the third row only has the car seat locks in one of the 3 seats. It sucked to discover this when I tried to move 2 car seats back there. With 3 kids in car seats I haven't figured out a good setup yet.

We're looking to replace our 2007 Odyssey and we have 3 kids so need 3rd row seating. My wife has no interest in buying another minivan after driving one for the past 15 years. We are definitely looking at Pilots but interested to see if there are other models we should be considering.

I bought the 2015 Honda Pilot Touring 4x4 navigation with all the toys online for 35400. I bought it from the same place where Randall purchased his. I got the metallic colored one and its pretty cool. We test drove a new Toyota Highlander just to see, and it was very weak in comparison. No comparison really. Thanks for all your help guys. True car allowed me to start a bidding war and thanks for the info.
what color is that?

that was me. how come?

Makes sense...looks like I'll still be looking at one though as the 16 pilot looks and featurewise appears a lot better than the 15

One note about the pilot....the third row only has the car seat locks in one of the 3 seats. It sucked to discover this when I tried to move 2 car seats back there. With 3 kids in car seats I haven't figured out a good setup yet.
Rented a 2014 Pilot in Florida for a week and agree about the seats. Also had way too many rattles for a vehicle with only 12K miles.

We're looking to replace our 2007 Odyssey and we have 3 kids so need 3rd row seating. My wife has no interest in buying another minivan after driving one for the past 15 years. We are definitely looking at Pilots but interested to see if there are other models we should be considering.
Ford Flex would make a nice transition vehicle.

that was me. how come?

It's true, however a redesign is not as bad as a first year model. It really depends on the "redesign". Is it mostly visual, did they upgrade engines blah blah balh.

Now for example the Colorado by Chevy was discontinued and came back in 2015. That is something to be more leary than a Pilot changing.

But overall I agree try to stay away from the first years.

Great car. Congrats! We love my wife's 2012.

Agree with whoever chose the Pilot over the Highlander, including the OP. We looked at both back then as well and Pilot won easily.

We just test drove Highlander, Pilot, Sante Fe, Traverse, Pathfinder, Acadia. Neither my wife nor I are that picky about the drive experience - found them all rather similar, but preferred the Pathfinder and Pilot for the drivers seat experience. Traverse and Acadia and Highlander offered bucket seats in 2nd row instead of bench which would be a plus, but all of these in higher models and out of our price range. The amount of space in the Sante Fe and Highlander felt a little small compared to others. We're leaning towards Pathfinder and Pilot still and it'll come down to price. The knock on the Pathfinder is only 2 seats in 3rd row.

We're tired of test driving, so spare me the "I can't believe you didn't check out the Cooper Mini!!! - I love mine"

We just test drove Highlander, Pilot, Sante Fe, Traverse, Pathfinder, Acadia. Neither my wife nor I are that picky about the drive experience - found them all rather similar, but preferred the Pathfinder and Pilot for the drivers seat experience. Traverse and Acadia and Highlander offered bucket seats in 2nd row instead of bench which would be a plus, but all of these in higher models and out of our price range. The amount of space in the Sante Fe and Highlander felt a little small compared to others. We're leaning towards Pathfinder and Pilot still and it'll come down to price. The knock on the Pathfinder is only 2 seats in 3rd row.

We're tired of test driving, so spare me the "I can't believe you didn't check out the Cooper Mini!!! - I love mine"
I test drove ever car you listed and the Ford Edge.

The Ford Edge won hands down and it wasn't close. We knew the moment we drive out of the lot.

The Ford Edge won hands down and it wasn't close. We knew the moment we drive out of the lot.
No third row.. unless they added that recently.

:lmao:

You exceeded my expectations on the dooshiest response possible.

I test drove ever car you listed and the Ford Edge.The Ford Edge won hands down and it wasn't close. We knew the moment we drive out of the lot.
:lmao: You exceeded my expectations on the dooshiest response possible.
That was the point, Copernicus.

what color is that?
Some people call it "gray".

This thing is even more fun to drive at night. All the lights and buttons make me feel like I'm driving Hoopers boat in Jaws. Its pretty cool. I'm very happy with this purchase.

So you remember what the True car estimates were compared to what you paid?

I tried the 4wd touring to compare and lowest is 38.9k.

Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon. We love ours, tons of space, the 2nd row buckets are a must.

I've been shopping for something to replace an Odyssey. Vehicles are expensive these days. I don't have chet money.

Just curious, what are you guys generally willing to pay monthly for a car?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you remember what the True car estimates were compared to what you paid?

I tried the 4wd touring to compare and lowest is 38.9k.
I paid 35,400. True may have been 37,500? I did what Randall said and just emailed them all for bids.And thanks Nugget.

I bought a 2012 Acadia after we were done with our Town&Country minivan. I test drove a Pilot, Highlander, Traverse, and Enclave along with the Acadia. I liked the Acadia as it had a little more leg room in all three rows, 2nd row bucket seats, and still plenty of room to haul our sports gear (baseball, soccer, track, coolers, etc). We didn't lose any room moving from a minivan to the Acadia and it has a much nicer ride. I felt the Highlander was too small and didn't like the boxiness of the Pilot. The Traverse and Enclave are very similar to the Acadia, but didn't have the 2nd row bucket seats, nor did they have the extended room in the back.

I really wanted a Yukon, but the wife felt that was excessive. The Acadia was a good compromise for us.

I like this pilot so much that I may buy the wife one next year. Its a great family ride that's pretty cool also. The DVD in the back is so worth it. My kids are being so quiet with the wireless headphones.

Create a separate email address if you start emailing car dealers. Spam fest after.

Push every dealer for an out the door price, inclusive of all fees, taxes, prep, registration, cleaning, everything; and exclusive of any trade in. You want it in an email. Once they give the otd price, ask them to confirm it again, so there is no confusion. Even with that email, they will still try to pull a fast one.

I've been shopping for something to replace an Odyssey. Vehicles are expensive these days. I don't have chet money.

Just curious, what are you guys generally willing to pay monthly for a car?
All relative, but I like to stay within the 500-700 range. My Q5 is $680/mo

Picked up our Pilot yesterday. For our budget, we went with the LX. Following the blueprint in here, I emailed 6 dealers with the model and trim we wanted and asked for out the door cost. For other's reference, here is how the prices went.

All of these are before destination charges and fees for LX with 4WD:

MSRP: 31,470

Invoice: 28,779

TrueCar midpoint: 28,791

TrueCar GreatPrice: 28,134

Range of prices I got from 6 dealers: 25,800 to 27,300 with 3 of them 26,200 to 26,400. There is a dealer incentive going on that makes these possible.

Went with one in the mid range there since they had the color my wife and kids liked. Test drove at local dealership, but then there was no wiggle room on internet price so I left. Called another place and didn't get any wiggle room on internet price either. Went back to local and bought the one in the color the wife liked at the internet price. Didn't get what I hoped for on trade-in of course and was only able to negotiate up about 20%, but happy to be done with the whole thing. It was right on the brink of making me go the craigslist route on the old car sale.

Hopefully the car lasts as I hate this process. Either I got a great deal or TrueCar is wildly overstating things and I think it's probably the latter.

We have a 2008 Pilot. Only complaint is the road noise is a little loud. Can be reduced with some good tires. Only problems we have had:

1. Dealer replaced battery no charge at 9 months.

2. Sensor to turn radiator fan off was replaced about 18 months ago.

3. Back shocks were replaced about 10 months ago.

110k miles on it.

Enjoy!

I'm personally waiting until the end of year, right around Xmas time to buy the 2016 pilot. Best time of year to negotiate with car dealerships
I was talking to a guy that we do business with who is the General manager of the local Honda dealership and he swore this was a myth. He said that getting people to compete against each other via email was the way to go. Not sure what to think about that.

Had a dealer down to 36,775 on a loaded 4x4 2015 touring last weekend. I walked. Received 3 more calls that day. Received another email today about the special Memorial Day sale.

I'm personally waiting until the end of year, right around Xmas time to buy the 2016 pilot. Best time of year to negotiate with car dealerships
I was talking to a guy that we do business with who is the General manager of the local Honda dealership and he swore this was a myth. He said that getting people to compete against each other via email was the way to go. Not sure what to think about that.
I'm still going to do the email thing..but just at the end of the year

The fighting chance program is foolproof. There are always times that dealers need to offer the best prices. The end of the month, any month is where you get the best price if you have them compete. Waiting.until the end of the year won't so much since dealer incentives run from different times.

The worst thing you could ever do is give the dealer a price to work with. Have them give you the out the door price and when you get the best one, see if any can beat it

Got my subuaru for 3,000 UNDER invoice because the dealer needed that one sale to get whatever bonus they got.

I just bought the GMC Acadia one and plan on recruiting dealers starting on Wednesday. Plan to buy the car on Friday or Saturday

The fighting chance program is foolproof. There are always times that dealers need to offer the best prices. The end of the month, any month is where you get the best price if you have them compete. Waiting.until the end of the year won't so much since dealer incentives run from different times.

The worst thing you could ever do is give the dealer a price to work with. Have them give you the out the door price and when you get the best one, see if any can beat it

Got my subuaru for 3,000 UNDER invoice because the dealer needed that one sale to get whatever bonus they got.

I just bought the GMC Acadia one and plan on recruiting dealers starting on Wednesday. Plan to buy the car on Friday or Saturday
thought process behind waiting until the end of the year is that nobody else is thinking about buying cars during the holidays. Couple that with end of the month.....

Do you have any evidence that shows different?

From USAA: - https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/advice-auto-buynewcar?akredirect=true

So you're ready to buy a new car.

Even if you've done your research, examined your budget and gotten preapproval, it can still be a tricky to get the best deal.

So, it pays to focus your efforts on negotiating areas where you can have some influence. Among those is picking the best time to get a deal on your car — and avoiding the worst.

Best Time to BuyAutomotive pricing and information website TrueCar's statistics show the winter months offer the greatest potential discounts, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should wait until then to buy a new car. Remember, as the year wanes, inventories become more limited, so even though great discounts may be available, they might not necessarily be on the exact model you're shopping for.

So if you have your heart set on something, think about whether the extra savings is worth potentially missing out on the car you really want.

Worst Time to BuyHistorical statistics show springtime probably isn't the ideal time to buy a new car: More people are out and about as winter weather clears, and tax refund checks are warming consumers' pockets.

With summer days ahead, more shoppers with a little extra cash in hand are looking for their next new car — which means dealers don't need to offer quite as many discounts to entice those eager shoppers to buy.

More ConsiderationsSteve Harrison, executive director of USAA's Auto Circle[SIZE=.9em]®[/SIZE], also suggests these four time tips to sway the buying process in your favor:

• Shop early in the week. On weekends, salespeople typically have their hands full with a large number of shoppers. Shopping on Monday or Tuesday can get you more personal attention. USAA Car Buying ServiceGet member-only savings on your next car.

Learn More
  • Shop at the end of the month or quarter. Salespeople are judged on their sales performance. At the end of the month or quarter, any sale might help them keep their jobs. A hungry or desperate salesperson can be your best ally when making the deal.
  • Make your offer later in the day. If a salesperson hasn't racked up a sale all day, he or she may be more amenable as the minutes tick down to closing time.
  • Look at outgoing models. Shop for last year's models when the new ones are due or just rolling into the showroom. The dealership wants to sell new cars and will be more willing to make deals on older models to get them off the lot.

TrueCar also has studied the trends and found certain types of cars are better to buy in different months and worse in others. Consumers tend to get better deals on midsize cars in June, for example, while they may grab a better deal on a subcompact in December.

"Do the research," Harrison says. "A prepared buyer is ahead of the game."

thought process behind waiting until the end of the year is that nobody else is thinking about buying cars during the holidays. Couple that with end of the month.....

Do you have any evidence that shows different?
just what I read in the fighting chance packet which I know you use.

When I email dealers they won't give a price.....typical response is to set an appt, can't give you best price unless you're here, your leverage is showing up, blah blah blah.

Buying a car is such a PITA

Users who are viewing this thread