What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate- This season aside, what's his dynasty value? (1 Viewer)

I think teams just stopped worrying about Hoyer and the receiving weapons. Unless they go to Manziel and he comes out on fire, it's going to be tough sledding at least until Gordon returns.

I think teams just stopped worrying about Hoyer and the receiving weapons. Unless they go to Manziel and he comes out on fire, it's going to be tough sledding at least until Gordon returns.
Completely agree. The loss of Mack cannot make this running game this bad.

Rotoworld:

Ben Tate - RB - Browns

Ben Tate suggested that a lack of running lanes is the reason for his brutal two-game stretch.

Over the last two weeks, Tate has rushed 31 times for 62 yards (2.0 YPC). He was asked if there were any holes against the Raiders last week. "Did you watch the game?" he replied. Tate now has another favorable matchup against Tampa Bay's leaky run defense this week, but is just an RB2 post-Alex Mack.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Oct 30 - 10:29 AM

Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi

A little birdie told me don't be surprised if RB Terrance West gets the most carries today for #Browns. Just passing it along.

Had a bad feeling about this after he ran his mouth to the media this week, you dont cross kyle or his gameplan/coaching/line. Last second swapped out tate for mckinnon, this backfield is going to be a huge headache if it wasnt already.

14 touches today. Nice involvement in the passing game for a change.

Browns team rushing last 3 weeks: 28-50, 25-39, 30-69. Those were all plus match ups against bad run defenses.

Although Mack was an excellent center, it's hard to believe how much the O-line has lost since he's been out. IIRC they were the top unit early on in the season and now they've dropped to an average middle of the pack group. Hard to get excited about any of the three Browns RBs. Sadly, Tate just fell off the end of my bench this week.

Although Mack was an excellent center, it's hard to believe how much the O-line has lost since he's been out. IIRC they were the top unit early on in the season and now they've dropped to an average middle of the pack group. Hard to get excited about any of the three Browns RBs. Sadly, Tate just fell off the end of my bench this week.
I cut Tate for West this week, unless West stands out tonight, none of the Browns RBs are rosterable.

Maybe the Browns will rethink their RB rotation BS when they get their asses handed to them tonight.

Cincy should be a little different animal then Tampa, Oakland, Jax.

The two games where Tate got 20 carries were his two high scoring fantasy games. Why go with what works though when you can rotate guys in and squeak out wins against sub par competition....or just lose. Why pay a guy to come in free agency and then **** him around where he is standing on the side lines instead of getting in nice groove.

But....they are winning. So far.

Once manziel takes over they will want the veteran in there with him to protect him. Manziel will open things up for Tate hoyer has looked like straight ### the past few weeks.

I can't remember if it was NFLN or ESPN but I saw a breakdown of what Mack was doing a few weeks ago, he was clearing out holes, just terrific lateral movement allowing the RBs to run behind him. These weren't good defenses they were playing maybe, but it was something. Next game, Mack got hurt and the run game has truly just stopped in its tracks even against some more poor defenses.

What a disappointment from where they were just a few weeks ago.

Once manziel takes over they will want the veteran in there with him to protect him. Manziel will open things up for Tate hoyer has looked like straight ### the past few weeks.
i think they'll put manziel in once they are out of playoff contention. as it stands - even with offense struggling - they are only a game out of first place in their division. they're not going to put manziel in if there is a hope of getting into the playoffs.

Maybe the Browns will rethink their RB rotation BS when they get their asses handed to them tonight.

The two games where Tate got 20 carries were his two high scoring fantasy games. Why go with what works though when you can rotate guys in and squeak out wins against sub par competition....or just lose. Why pay a guy to come in free agency and then **** him around where he is standing on the side lines instead of getting in nice groove.

Bengals run defense is just as bad if not worse then their other matchups, and when a guy goes 10 for 3 and constantly puts the offense in 2nd and 13 then you need to try something different. They have only been using two backs just like 90% of the other nfl teams so not sure what you mean by rb rotation bs, tate hasnt performed well enough to be a bell cow by himself and half the time they are better of just spiking it then handing it to him. I was big on tate and drafted him but just dropped him for west because i still believe in the kyle zbs offense for rbs, its made stars out of average backs in the past.

Bengals run defense is just as bad if not worse then their other matchups, and when a guy goes 10 for 3 and constantly puts the offense in 2nd and 13 then you need to try something different. They have only been using two backs just like 90% of the other nfl teams so not sure what you mean by rb rotation bs, tate hasnt performed well enough to be a bell cow by himself and half the time they are better of just spiking it then handing it to him. I was big on tate and drafted him but just dropped him for west because i still believe in the kyle zbs offense for rbs, its made stars out of average backs in the past.
Your confidence in zbs made you dump Tate for West?

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Pettine says Ben Tate has fallen behind Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West on the depth chart because the Browns have been looking for more "explosiveness."

"It's explosiveness with the young backs," Pettine said. "Just a little more pop." Pettine's comments jibe with the reality, as Tate's YPC has slumped to 3.1. West hasn't been much better at 3.6, but Crowell is managing 4.6. The Browns' running back corps remains a weekly crapshoot where Tate could randomly take on big workloads, but he's an RB4/5 for fantasy purposes after handling all of two touches in Sunday's loss to the Texans.

Related: Isaiah Crowell, Terrance West

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter
Nov 17 - 4:29 PM

Is anyone holding onto him in dynasty?
I am. I think he will end up somewhere and still have value.
I think he's a RB4. He's not bad. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he found a productive stretch of time in the next few years. Problem is that he's not good enough to hold off these two rookies. Reality is that outside of a Toby Gerhardt situation, nobody is giving him a RB 1 job anymore. IMO your much better off with a random rookie.

Colts on speed dial to his agent at the moment.
You can picture Irsay all excited and his football people trying to talk him out of it.

That's an FA contract that will be tough to get another team to sign on to. Id assume he clears and then gets picked up...and at that point there are a few candidates willing to give him a shot.

You can picture Irsay all excited and his football people trying to talk him out of it.

That's an FA contract that will be tough to get another team to sign on to. Id assume he clears and then gets picked up...and at that point there are a few candidates willing to give him a shot.
Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 14m14 minutes ago
Browns have waived Ben Tate. So much for that signing. Colts could use a RB. Who knows

Last edited by a moderator:
goos for tate. obviously this was a sitation that wasn't going to work. maybe he finds his way to a team with a less muddled RB situation.

goos for tate. obviously this was a sitation that wasn't going to work. maybe he finds his way to a team with a less muddled RB situation.
The muddled situation isn't what got him in the axe. Piss poor play and a bad attitude did.

The muddled situation isn't what got him in the axe. Piss poor play and a bad attitude did.
Very interesting POV here...saying he will not clear waivers:

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 8m8 minutes ago
Ben Tate will come very cheaply on waivers. Plenty of teams in the playoff hunt have needs - Colts for one. I'd suspect he gets claimed

Ben Tate will come very cheaply on waivers. Plenty of teams in the playoff hunt have needs - Colts for one. I'd suspect he gets claimed
Given his contract, it makes sense. No guaranteed money beyond this year. All a team needs is a little cap space and a need. I'm sure there are fits. How else are they going to use that space right now? Even if Tate continues to play the role of succubus the only impact is the tiniest of dent's in the owner's wallet. Can't imagine he'll negatively impact a contender's locker room. if he does he'll get shown that door too.

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 14m14 minutes ago
Browns have waived Ben Tate. So much for that signing. Colts could use a RB. Who knows
Herron is probably just as good or better than Tate, but I guess they could use a warm body.

Given his contract, it makes sense. No guaranteed money beyond this year. All a team needs is a little cap space and a need. I'm sure there are fits. How else are they going to use that space right now? Even if Tate continues to play the role of succubus the only impact is the tiniest of dent's in the owner's wallet. Can't imagine he'll negatively impact a contender's locker room. if he does he'll get shown that door too.
As you scan the standings, obviously we need to read from the bottom--->up as waiver claims move in that order.

The NFC South comes to mind first as there are multiple teams in contention all with bad records. Not one NFC South team has avoided the injury bug at running back and the Falcons just IR'd Antone Smith yesterday.

Yes, any NFC South team would have to be in the first line of discussion b/c they'll have waiver priority over other playoff contenders, but none have a huge need and none have Texans ties that I know of-

Falcons- IRd Antone Smith this week, but have plenty of depth

Panthers- Tolbert IRd, finally starting to heal up anyway. Least likely option as they have allocated too much to this position already

Saints- For some reason....we never get a straight answer on what the deal is with PT....and especially Khiry. It's been a month! The Saints will probably take a look

Bucs-It's been a carousel at RB there; they could probably squeeze him on.

The Ravens seem like an interesting landing place given Kubiak's ties, their unproven corps of backs and their middling record. Indy has the same record as Baltimore; the waiver claim order tie-break is opponent winning percentage and Im not sure how that shakes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting story. Colts with the obvious need. Team like the Texans has obvious connect-the dots given Foster's health. And then you have to wonder if he will make it off waivers past a team like Atlanta, etc.

Atlanta, despite their depth, is especially intriguing because they currently are legitimately in the playoff hunt, despite the record.

Users who are viewing this thread