What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (2 Viewers)

Any good vegetarian recipes?
Not a recipe but I've had pretty good results with throwing a boatload of veggies in the crock pot after sauteing them on the stove top first. In my case I throw in sliced sausage but you can omit and get excellent results.

Come one come all - diced eggplant, yellow squash, zuchinni, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, tomato, and minced garlic. Immerse in veggie broth in the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours. I like to reduce the tomatoes in a pan first and add desired dry spices.

On the side (prepared just before serving), I like to saute fresh okra in light oil over high heat, adding minced garlic in the last minute. Also I have a note to self to experiment with roasted potatoes; AND, pretty sure the next time I make veggie stew in the crock pot I will add a heaping portion of roasted jalapenos.

Any good vegetarian recipes?
Not a recipe but I've had pretty good results with throwing a boatload of veggies in the crock pot after sauteing them on the stove top first. In my case I throw in sliced sausage but you can omit and get excellent results.

Come one come all - diced eggplant, yellow squash, zuchinni, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, tomato, and minced garlic. Immerse in veggie broth in the slow cooker and cook for 6 hours. I like to reduce the tomatoes in a pan first and add desired dry spices.

On the side (prepared just before serving), I like to saute fresh okra in light oil over high heat, adding minced garlic in the last minute. Also I have a note to self to experiment with roasted potatoes; AND, pretty sure the next time I make veggie stew in the crock pot I will add a heaping portion of roasted jalapenos.
The other one to throw in a bit before serving is some frozen corn.

Ah, pork tenderloin...anyone?
I wouldn't waste a pork tenderloin in a crock pot personally. But if you had to, I would think you could use it for any recipe that calls for pork shoulder/butt. Shouldn't alter the taste too much
It's tiny and it is way too cold out to grill (preferred method) It's been ####### -20 with wind chills for like a month. Ridiculous.
I deal with the same issue with good steaks. There are some really good recipes for tenderloin in the oven. A mustard rub is one of my favorites. You can also look at searing it in a pan with garlic, onions and butter on all sides (takes about 10 minutes) and finish it in the oven at about 350 until the center gets to temp. Grilling is not the only way to cook.
Hmm...thank you. And I know how to cook. ;)
I don't follow. If you know how to cook, why are you asking about Crock Pot of a pork tenderloin on this board?
Cause I am lazy.

lazy man's chili:

sauté two onions, one bell pepper and 6 cloves garlic

brown 2 lbs hamburger adding 1/4 cup chili powder and 1 T cumin

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can tomatoes sauce

2 cans kidney beans

1 large jalapeno

crock on low for 8 hours, bam!

lazy man's chili:

sauté two onions, one bell pepper and 6 cloves garlic

brown 2 lbs hamburger adding 1/4 cup chili powder and 1 T cumin

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can tomatoes sauce

2 cans kidney beans

1 large jalapeno

crock on low for 8 hours, bam!
mine is pretty similar

amazing how good simple chili recipes can turn out

mix in some cornbread, sour cream and shredded pepper jack!

Is there a store-bought chili that's worth a damn? :bag:

Or even a recipe that's quick and easy? Some of the recipes posted on this forum are a mile long. I just don't have the time. I have pages and pages of Super Bowl props to study up on.

Or even a recipe that's quick and easy? Some of the recipes posted on this forum are a mile long. I just don't have the time. I have pages and pages of Super Bowl props to study up on.
I do think that most of the two alarm and three alarm stuff can make a pretty darn good chili in under an hour. The key, IMO, is not to only use ground beef and certainly not to use lean beef. I like to use 1 lb of no more than 80% lean beef (hopefully ground coursely) with 1 lb of raw chorizo or something. And then I kind of disregard the recipe in terms of how much liquid I use. I eyeball beer, water, and tomatoes and try to cook some of the liquid down.

I like the Smails chili fine, but I'm rarely in the mood to it right (short ribs are awsome for chili, but I hate dicing them up). You can always rehydrate the dry chile peppers in the Smails recipe and use them in lieu of the red pepper in a chili mix if you want the fresher flavor.

EDIT: Frankly, the biggest difference I've found in the flavor of chili comes from refrigerating it over night. No matter how I make it, my leftovers are always better.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Carroll Shelby's brand chili mix is a great store bought one. I've never tried it in a crockpot. But I'm sure it will do fine

And Carroll Shelby's brand chili mix is a great store bought one.
I was just looking at that online. Someone on another forum recommended it also. So just buy some fresh ground beef/chuck and maybe some onions, and the rest of what's in that package will do the trick?

And Carroll Shelby's brand chili mix is a great store bought one.
I was just looking at that online. Someone on another forum recommended it also. So just buy some fresh ground beef/chuck and maybe some onions, and the rest of what's in that package will do the trick?
Like I said, never done it in a crockpot before, but I think as long as you brown/drain the meat first, you'll be good to go with whatever you want to put in.

FWIW, Here's my recipe. Adjust the proportions (obviously) b/c this is probably too much for 1 crockpot. It's very simple...the hardest part is chopping the onions/peppers, but when I'm pressed for time (or don't feel like dealing with it), I just buy the pre-chopped at the store and toss that in.

2 lbs meat
4 bell peppers
2 onions
1 bag carol shelby mix
1/4 bottle of tobasco (optional)
1/2 bottle of pickapepper sauce (similar to A1)
1 dark beer
pinch of salt
1 can of: pinto, red, black, kidney beans
1 small can of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 small can of green chiles

1. Cut up meat and veggies
2. Brown with Carrol Shelby Mix (not the masa part yet)
3. Add veggies and stir until mixed well
4. Open all cans (except for green chiles) and pour in
5. Take the masa flour from the caroll shelby mix and make a paste by adding water and then add it to the pot
6. Add chiles
7. Add pickapepper sauce
8. Add tobasco (optional)
9. Add beer

One thing that is likely to be different in a crockpot is that you'll get less evaporation. So I'd adjust the liquid ratio downward. It's not a big deal if you're using the masa flour. I rarely do, but that's a personal preference.

One thing that is likely to be different in a crockpot is that you'll get less evaporation. So I'd adjust the liquid ratio downward. It's not a big deal if you're using the masa flour. I rarely do, but that's a personal preference.
yeah, solid point here that i didn't think about. I cook the hell out of it in a pot with the top off.

Invited the kids over this weekend for the big beef stew recipe. Was a hit the first time I made it. Here's hoping it goes over just as well with this crew.

tony dead's recipe is pretty spot on except use 1 lb of sweet Italian in place of 1 of the lbs of ground beef and Ramsay is right, it always tastes better day #2.

I'm about due for a big LMPP, the king of this thread. It's been too long. This weekend, it's on.

Making some short ribs in the crock pot tonight.

2 lbs beef short ribs seasoned with salt and pepper

heat up the pan with a little grape seed oil

lightly brown/sear each side (4 minutes)

toss in with carrots, fingerling potatoes, yellow onion, and celery seasoned with a little thyme, salt pepper, and a bay leaf.

Pour a cup of red wine and a cup of beef broth. Drizzle two tablespoons of honey over the ribs.

cook on low heat for 10-12 hours.
This sounds good; how did they turn out?

Making some short ribs in the crock pot tonight.

2 lbs beef short ribs seasoned with salt and pepper

heat up the pan with a little grape seed oil

lightly brown/sear each side (4 minutes)

toss in with carrots, fingerling potatoes, yellow onion, and celery seasoned with a little thyme, salt pepper, and a bay leaf.

Pour a cup of red wine and a cup of beef broth. Drizzle two tablespoons of honey over the ribs.

cook on low heat for 10-12 hours.
This sounds good; how did they turn out?
Great. Next time I'll remove the potatoes and instead make mashed potatoes to go with them.
Do the potatoes get mushy? Maybe throw them in with a just a few hours of cooking left?

Just made this last night, came out awesome:

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup blackberry jam
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
Sliced scallions, for garnish

Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.

Using tongs, remove the chicken from the slow cooker (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Remove the bones then use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry.

Transfer the liquids from the slow cooker into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in the slurry. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook it until it reduces and has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Serve the chicken topped with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.

---------------------------------------------------

I left off the sesame seeds, and found that 2 tbs cornstarch and 6 tablespoons water was needed to get the sauce as thick as I'd like. Bone in breasts are key to make sure chicken doesn't dry out. Served over rice, delicious.

Just made this last night, came out awesome:

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken

3 large bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup blackberry jam

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

2 Tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup diced onion

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

Sliced scallions, for garnish

Arrange the chicken breasts in the slow cooker so that they are not overlapping.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, blackberry jam, hoisin, olive oil, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper flakes, and then pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken on LOW for 4 to 5 hours until the chicken is fully cooked.

Using tongs, remove the chicken from the slow cooker (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Remove the bones then use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water to make a slurry.

Transfer the liquids from the slow cooker into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in the slurry. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook it until it reduces and has thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine. Serve the chicken topped with sliced scallions and sesame seeds.

---------------------------------------------------

I left off the sesame seeds, and found that 2 tbs cornstarch and 6 tablespoons water was needed to get the sauce as thick as I'd like. Bone in breasts are key to make sure chicken doesn't dry out. Served over rice, delicious.
Gonna try this one. Sounds great. :thumbup:

I did this for the ff draft after party (although I did a much bigger batch) and everyone loved it - leftovers are awesome too. Loosely based off lazy man pulled pork, which my family loves too.

Yo Mama's Lazy Man Carnitas

2-3 lbs pork shoulder (I used pork tenderloin and it turned out great, plus less fat)

1/2 can of coke

Salt, pepper, cumin, dry oregano, garlic powder on meat

Juice of 2 oranges ( leave rind/wedges of 1 orange in pot)

Juice of 2 limes

1 onion, chopped to big chunks (cut in eighths)

4-5 garlic cloves, peeled/whole

Cook on low for 5 hours

Take meat out of pot and shred with forks (I threw a little broth in the shredded meat for some extra juice). I also did this the day before and kept the meat in the fridge so I didn't have to do as much on draft day, but it's great same day too.

Put a couple tbsp of oil into a skillet and grill up meat in smaller batches to make it slightly crispy and add some salt to taste.

Great on tacos with just cilantro and diced onions or add some cotija cheese/guacamole/salsa.

Next day breakfast sandwiches with eggs, carnitas and cheese are incredible. Great for post draft party hangover.

So good.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
This is a good game day special....

Granpa Bill's BBQ Cheeseburger Veggie and Chip Dip

4 parsnips peeled and chopped

2 carrots peeled and chopped

1 yellow onion peeled and chopped

4 Mc Donalds cheesebrgers chopped whole

3 cups of cooked spiral cut honey ham diced off the bone

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

1 1/2 cup of baking powder

1 cup sweet baby rays bbq sauce

pinch of saffron

2 tablespoons of onion powder

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Mix the seasonings in a separate bowl, then mix with the mayo and the pineapple juice. Pour the mayp mix into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add veggies and cook on low for 4 hours. Let mixture set overnight then add ham (must be preseasoned spiral cut preferably from a quality place like Heavenly Ham or Whole Foods), bbq sauce, and cut up cheeseburgers (yes, with the bread!). Cook on high for 3 more hours. Mix in baking powder after 3 hours and set to low for 2 more hours. Serve with pita chips and enjoy! Believe me, this is pretty much one of the best dips you will ever taste. It is really worth the effort.

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Mix the seasonings in a separate bowl, then mix with the mayo and the pineapple juice. Pour the mayp mix into the bottom of the slow cooker. Add veggies and cook on low for 4 hours. Let mixture set overnight then add ham (must be preseasoned spiral cut preferably from a quality place like Heavenly Ham or Whole Foods), bbq sauce, and cut up cheeseburgers (yes, with the bread!). Cook on high for 3 more hours. Mix in baking powder after 3 hours and set to low for 2 more hours. Serve with pita chips and enjoy! Believe me, this is pretty much one of the best dips you will ever taste. It is really worth the effort.
:X

Sounds good. How much "Salt, pepper, cumin, dry oregano, garlic powder on meat" are you putting on the meat
I've never really measured, just pretty much covered the meat. You can be pretty liberal with it since all the juice will dilute it a decent amount. Maybe go 1 tbsp of each and a bit more oregano - I'm not great with measurements.

meatwad1 said:

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Who thinks to combine Whole Foods spiral sliced ham with McDonald's cheeseburgers. I must read his book.

John Bender said:
meatwad1 said:

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Sounds weird but it just could be tremendous. I'd try it.

ETA: Its got one big thing going for it - NO ####### CUCUMBERS!!!!!

meatwad1 said:

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Who thinks to combine Whole Foods spiral sliced ham with McDonald's cheeseburgers. I must read his book.
I think this is shtick

Baking Powder, Pineapple Juice, Mayo, Cheeseburgers, Spiral Ham, SAFFRON???, BBQ Sauce , Parsnips :lmao: :lmao:

He didn't even spell Grandpa correctly.

:blackdot:

Just got a 5 quart programmable cooker.

Made a simple stew this week with cheap chuck steak, onion, cabbage and potato.

Anyone else ever keep it REAL simple? Chicken breasts or thighs and a can of enchilada sauce. Come back in 4 hours with rice/tortillas/hot sauce.

John Bender said:
meatwad1 said:

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

Sounds weird but it just could be tremendous. I'd try it.

ETA: Its got one big thing going for it - NO ####### CUCUMBERS!!!!!
The scent that arouses women more than any other is that of cucumbers.

meatwad1 said:

1 cup mayo

1 cup pineapple juice

pinch of saffron

1/2 cup of oregano

3 tablespoons of salt

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I literally laughed so hard I started to sweat. I finally gained enough composure to type this.

Just did a pot of potato soup tonight--sort of weird results.

It was a cold, rainy Colorado day today and thought this would hit the spot.

I did a double batch and wow did it make a lot--I mean a ton. I have 3 big Tupperware containers full of leftovers.

two 30 oz bags of frozen hash browns (the diced kind)

two 32 oz boxes chicken stock

two 10 oz cans of cream of chicken soup.

pepper.

Throw it all in the pot on low.

About at the 7 hour mark I put in two blocks of cream cheese diced up as a thickening agent---this is a mistake--it needs to go in earlier because I still had undissolved chunks that I had to manual break up.around the 8 hour mark.

At this same 7 hour mark I put in two packs of pre-cooked cubed ham--again, wish I would have put them in earlier.

When tasting, the salt taste was overwhelming. I would really suggest low-sodium stock next time, but covered in shredded cheese, this was really, really good and the salt taste dissipated.

Did some biscuits on the side and it was a hit with the family.

I have to admit I was concerned about using frozen potatoes instead of fresh chopped, but this was a quick, fairly inexpensive dish that made a ton.

Just did a pot of potato soup tonight--sort of weird results.

It was a cold, rainy Colorado day today and thought this would hit the spot.

I did a double batch and wow did it make a lot--I mean a ton. I have 3 big Tupperware containers full of leftovers.

two 30 oz bags of frozen hash browns (the diced kind)

two 32 oz boxes chicken stock

two 10 oz cans of cream of chicken soup.

pepper.

Throw it all in the pot on low.

About at the 7 hour mark I put in two blocks of cream cheese diced up as a thickening agent---this is a mistake--it needs to go in earlier because I still had undissolved chunks that I had to manual break up.around the 8 hour mark.

At this same 7 hour mark I put in two packs of pre-cooked cubed ham--again, wish I would have put them in earlier.

When tasting, the salt taste was overwhelming. I would really suggest low-sodium stock next time, but covered in shredded cheese, this was really, really good and the salt taste dissipated.

Did some biscuits on the side and it was a hit with the family.

I have to admit I was concerned about using frozen potatoes instead of fresh chopped, but this was a quick, fairly inexpensive dish that made a ton.
Gonna try this in a couple months when "winter" hits Palo Alto. Sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread