What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JSTEW to start season on the PUP. CONFIRMED (update) (1 Viewer)

DWill was RB 23 in standard scoring leagues last year. You read that right. I know it doesn't seem like he was anything, but he was startable at times last year.
Sure, if you count Week 17, which is a non-week for most FF leagues, but if you go by Weeks 1-16, he was mid 30s.
how could you know that without discounting the other running backs week 17?
Because I went to the site of one of my leagues last year, one that had a pretty standard modern day scoring format, and used the site to show me the top RBs for Weeks 1-16. DeAngelo was 34th.
gotcha

I should point out again, as I have in various other threads about the Carolina RBs in the last year, that my lack of faith in DeAngelo as a fantasy producer has little to do with him - I think he is still a helluva player - but everything to do with their coaching staff. Until I see them use their RBs in an intelligent way on a consistent basis, I will continue to ignore the Carolina backfield when it comes to building my fantasy teams.

I should point out again, as I have in various other threads about the Carolina RBs in the last year, that my lack of faith in DeAngelo as a fantasy producer has little to do with him - I think he is still a helluva player - but everything to do with their coaching staff. Until I see them use their RBs in an intelligent way on a consistent basis, I will continue to ignore the Carolina backfield when it comes to building my fantasy teams.
I hear what you are saying and I agree for the most part, my general point on this thread is that if things stay status quo and Dwill is there in the 10th then its a no brainer to roll the dice on him. what other starters are going in that round range? From first glance I dont see any others

DWill was RB 23 in standard scoring leagues last year. You read that right. I know it doesn't seem like he was anything, but he was startable at times last year.
Sure, if you count Week 17, which is a non-week for most FF leagues, but if you go by Weeks 1-16, he was mid 30s.
Because I went to the site of one of my leagues last year, one that had a pretty standard modern day scoring format, and used the site to show me the top RBs for Weeks 1-16. DeAngelo was 34th.
gotcha
It wasn't his fault that the NFL scheduled one of his two games vs the worst running defense the league has ever seen (New Orleans) in week 17 last year.

No worries, as this year he'll play them week 14 and week 16 (likely playoffs and championship games). You heard it here first....

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear what you are saying and I agree for the most part, my general point on this thread is that if things stay status quo and Dwill is there in the 10th then its a no brainer to roll the dice on him. what other starters are going in that round range? From first glance I dont see any others
I don't do drafts anymore, opting instead for auctions. I suppose if I could get him as like my 4th RB for like $5 or so, I might take a shot at him, but even then, I would hate myself every time I look at my team and see him on it. :lol:

how could you know that without discounting theother running backs week 17?
It's pretty easy to sort stats for weeks 1-16 most places -- Willams was RB35 those weeks in total points and RB42 in PPG (in PPR). Stewart and Williams added together were RB15 in total points over that same span, so IMO that's DeAngelo's 2013 absolute upside if Stewart misses the entire season. A reasonable median projection for Williams is probably RB 20ish until Stewart returns, and being dog poop whenever Stewart gets back, which would likely include the FF playoffs. Again, no thanks.

I've said it before... I wouldn't be shocked if this season got away from Carolina pretty quickly, much to my chagrin as a fan.

Lame duck coach - Check.

Toughest schedule in the league (on paper) - Check

Poor O-line - Check

Injuries - Always an uknown

They've got very little depth anywhere, so one injury can completely sink them. If the season starts poorly, watch out for the snowball.

I think the most telling sign will be whether or not Gettleman brings in anyone on the o-line as guys start to get cut. They desperately need o-line help, and are sitting with a nice cushion under the cap. But Papa Getts is focused on the long haul. And my gut says he's got another coach in mind anyway (Mike Zimmer - 2014), so he's given Rivera just enough rope to hang himself (note that Rivera made the call to promote Shula to OC, not Gettleman).

I don't do drafts anymore, opting instead for auctions. I suppose if I could get him as like my 4th RB for like $5 or so, I might take a shot at him, but even then, I would hate myself every time I look at my team and see him on it. :lol:
I think its save to assume we have all been burned by some variation of the Panther rushing offense with Stewart/Dwill.

I've said it before... I wouldn't be shocked if this season got away from Carolina pretty quickly, much to my chagrin as a fan.

Lame duck coach - Check.

Poor O-line - Check

They've got very little depth anywhere, so one injury can completely sink them. If the season starts poorly, watch out for the snowball.

I think the most telling sign will be whether or not Gettleman brings in anyone on the o-line as guys start to get cut. They desperately need o-line help, and are sitting with a nice cushion under the cap. But Papa Getts is focused on the long haul. And my gut says he's got another coach in mind anyway (Mike Zimmer - 2014), so he's given Rivera just enough rope to hang himself (note that Rivera made the call to promote Shula to OC, not Gettleman).
granted I am an optimist but I think the Panthers could have a good season if they start off hot. Their defense was solid down the stretch last year as was their offense. My gut tells me they have been doing just basic vanilla stuff in the preseason just to set up the first few games. (again I am an optimist). Their first 6 games look to be in their favor. Seattle at home to start off and they are without Harvin. then at bills which is winnable, Giants at home will be tough then Cardinals VIkes and Rams. They could start off 4-1, 5-1 if things fall right for them.

Lame duck coach - Check.

Poor O-line - Check

granted I am an optimist but I think the Panthers could have a good season if they start off hot. Their defense was solid down the stretch last year as was their offense. My gut tells me they have been doing just basic vanilla stuff in the preseason just to set up the first few games. (again I am an optimist). Their first 6 games look to be in their favor. Seattle at home to start off and they are without Harvin. then at bills which is winnable, Giants at home will be tough then Cardinals VIkes and Rams. They could start off 4-1, 5-1 if things fall right for them.
:lmao:

I grabbed him in the 10th as my fourth RB in a 14 team league. I've been burned before with this backfield, but at that point in the draft, with that many teams, he's a late round lottery ticket.

I grabbed him in the 10th as my fourth RB in a 14 team league. I've been burned before with this backfield, but at that point in the draft, with that many teams, he's a late round lottery ticket.
10th rd in a 14 team league is so +EV it's beautiful.

Not just Week 17, but his late season production last year was key to him ending up having decent stats. He had 3TDs thru 13 weeks, and 4TDs in the last 4 weeks. Also had 518 total yards those last 4 weeks, which was 56% of his yardage in only a quarter of the season - the quarter of the season Stew was gone.

I think he has value without Stewart. Question is, how long would that be for?

I will not own this clown any longer. Traded Marques Colston for him in a keeper league like 4 years ago. LOL. Such a horrific deal on my part. Finally cutting my losses this year.

DWILL is going in the 10th and 11th rounds in a 12 team redraft. That probably holds the best value if that stands. If given the opportunity Dwill can produce rb2 numbers easily and it wouldnt surprise me for him to sneak into the top 15 if Stewart doesnt fully recover. From all accounts Shula (panthers OC) is committing to the run this year.
Grabbed him in the 10th in my 10 team league. Excited to see what he's capable of when running out of a base running package!

Panthers placed RB Jonathan Stewart (ankles) on the reserve/PUP list.
Stewart got a second opinion on Monday, and it wasn't positive. He'll be eligible to return in Week 7. J-Stew had surgery on both ankles shortly after the end of last season, but is still having problems with his right foot. DeAngelo Williams is now locked in as the Panthers' starter, and could in theory run with the job in Stewart's absence. His recent play suggests that won't happen, however. You're best off avoiding the Panthers' running situation, but if you must, draft D-Will as a lower-end FLEX play.

My DeAngelo value play looking better and better. Still no guarantee Stewart is even ready in 6 weeks.

Stewart got a second opinion on Monday, and it wasn't positive. He'll be eligible to return in Week 7. J-Stew had surgery on both ankles shortly after the end of last season, but is still having problems with his right foot. DeAngelo Williams is now locked in as the Panthers' starter, and could in theory run with the job in Stewart's absence. His recent play suggests that won't happen, however. You're best off avoiding the Panthers' running situation, but if you must, draft D-Will as a lower-end FLEX play.
Now that Carolina is down to 1 RB, you're best avoiding their running situation, got it.

Now that Carolina is down to 1 RB, you're best avoiding their running situation, got it.
Lol, I know. It sounds like an odd recommendation when you factor in ADP. It may not be a sexy pick, but it's also not a costly pick either.

DWILL is going in the 10th and 11th rounds in a 12 team redraft. That probably holds the best value if that stands. If given the opportunity Dwill can produce rb2 numbers easily and it wouldnt surprise me for him to sneak into the top 15 if Stewart doesnt fully recover. From all accounts Shula (panthers OC) is committing to the run this year.
Grabbed him in the 10th in my 10 team league. Excited to see what he's capable of when running out of a base running package!
I got him cheap as well.

Tolbert might not start the season either. Hamstring.

Panthers FB Mike Tolbert promises the team will take a more run-heavy approach under new offensive playcaller Mike Shula.
The Panthers ran a "deception" offense for the first half of 2012, basing their entire formula on shotgun plays and read-option. The offense took off in the second half when more base runs were incorporated, and Carolina won four of its final six games including a 30-20 victory over Atlanta in Week 14. "I can't wait," said Tolbert. "In the running back room, we rejoiced when (Shula) said we're going to run the ball. That's one thing we're gonna do."
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5009/mike-tolbert

(08/23/13) Panthers running back Mike Tolbert did not suit up for the third preseason game in a row Thursday against the Ravens, as he continues to be bothered by a hamstring injury.Tolbert has yet to appear in the preseason, and has been unable to practice as a result of the injury. The Panthers have just one preseason game remaining Aug. 29 against the Steelers, and it is not clear if Tolbert will be available.
- CBS

Right, in the 7th round, you want to avoid running backs that are locked in as starters with minimal competition...makes sense.

Tolbert being banged up is a catch 22 because he very well likely could have a huge role

Poole just might be the shark add in deep leagues

Lol, I know. It sounds like an odd recommendation when you factor in ADP. It may not be a sexy pick, but it's also not a costly pick either.
Do you think Williams will finish with better or worse numbers than last year? Keep in mind he finished as RB23 in non ppr last year only touching the ball 190 times.

What's weird is they wrote this just last week.

Rotoworld needs to list who writes which spin-blurb. They all have their own biases and are free to write whatever.

DeAngelo Williams rushed 12 times for 39 yards and caught one pass for three yards in Thursday's preseason game against the Eagles.
Williams and the rest of the Panthers' starters played a full half. And as Jonathan Stewart continues to rehab his ankle injuries, Williams was a workhorse. The Panthers exclusively ran a base offense with Cam Newton under center, which does suit the veteran better than the read-option. If Stewart's injuries linger into Week 1, Williams will be a steal at his current eighth-round ADP
In December RotoWorld wrote he'll be cut after running for 210 yards.

DeAngelo Williams rushed 21 times for 210 yards with two touchdowns in the Panthers' 44-38 Week 17 win over the Saints.
If this turns out to be Williams' last game as a Panther, he goes out with a fluky bang. He came into this one averaging 3.46 YPC with three touchdowns on 152 totes this season and hadn't topped 100 yards since October of 2011. The breakout performance against a woeful Saints' run defense likely won't be enough for Williams to avoid getting cut. The Panthers are thought to be willing to eat an $8 million cap hit and move forward with Jonathan Stewart as their feature back next to short-yardage pounder Mike Tolbert.

What's weird is they wrote this just last week.

DeAngelo Williams rushed 12 times for 39 yards and caught one pass for three yards in Thursday's preseason game against the Eagles.
Williams and the rest of the Panthers' starters played a full half. And as Jonathan Stewart continues to rehab his ankle injuries, Williams was a workhorse. The Panthers exclusively ran a base offense with Cam Newton under center, which does suit the veteran better than the read-option. If Stewart's injuries linger into Week 1, Williams will be a steal at his current eighth-round ADP
Williams didn't look that good in practice yesterday. He dropped a pass and had the runs which caused him to miss a really important walk through. Its understandable that he goes from a steal to a complete bust after something like that.

I "stole" D-Will in the 9th round. But the more I think about it, knowing Mike Shula is the OC, I think I just got a dude who will typically get me 15/47/0 with 2/8 receiving a game. Not sure if that's even startable as a flex. If I could go back, I would "unsteal" him and avoid this mess altogether. :bag:

Williams didn't look that good in practice yesterday. He dropped a pass and had the runs which caused him to miss a really important walk through. Its understandable that he goes from a steal to a complete bust after something like that.
I agree. But when put in context of ADP, why not take a swing?

Tolbert being banged up is a catch 22 because he very well likely could have a huge role

I wasn't aware that Tolbert AND Barner were both battling injuries. I saw Poole run against BAL and I wasn't impressed. To be fair though, the Oline has looked like utter ####.

Do you think Williams will finish with better or worse numbers than last year? Keep in mind he finished as RB23 in non ppr last year only touching the ball 190 times.
On a PPG basis, he finished as the 33rd best RB even if he finished as the 23rd overall. If he's given an adequate amount of touches (not cutting him off after sub 10), I think low-end RB2/flex numbers could be expected on a PPG basis. I'm not as low on him as some, but not very high either.

I agree. But when put in context of ADP, why not take a swing?
I was joking. I love DeAngelo and took him probably 2 rounds higher than I needed to in my draft.

I "stole" D-Will in the 9th round. But the more I think about it, knowing Mike Shula is the OC, I think I just got a dude who will typically get me 15/47/0 with 2/8 receiving a game. Not sure if that's even startable as a flex. If I could go back, I would "unsteal" him and avoid this mess altogether. :bag:
Opportunity is everything, I still consider him a steal relative to ADP. I mean, right after DWills goes off the board you're looking at committee backs and back-ups. If you're still looking to fill out the position at the point in the draft, you'll be hard pressed to find another lead back. Even if he's lost a step, you have a higher chance of getting a real ROI then if you went with a back-up who would likely only see a bump via injury.

Now, if you want to compare it WR/QB/TE at that point, that's a different story.

It's been a long time since Mike Shula was an NFL OC... but when he was OC for the Bucs in '96-99, the Bucs finished 11, 8, 3 and 4 in rushing attempts.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShulMi0.htm
With a fantasy killing committee approach and personnel that is most similar to Tolbert and rookie Barner.
Those were the days of Alstott & Dunn. That was the Dungy squad that was heavy on ball control and great defense.

Those guys probably did pretty well when the other one was out.

It's been said but the big points thief is Newton, but even if Williams gets 1/2 of Stewart's touches for the first half of the season, plus maybe some more from Shula's philosophy, that's pretty good (again compared to where he's available in drafts).

I wasn't aware that Tolbert AND Barner were both battling injuries. I saw Poole run against BAL and I wasn't impressed. To be fair though, the Oline has looked like utter ####.
Barner has been realtively healthy IIRC but Poole has gotten work before him

The coaching staff and people close to the situation appear to be very down on D Will for whatever reason. People close to the situation love Barner but coaching staff doesn't appear to trust him yet. Poole appears to be D Will's backup without Tolbert at least until Barner is trusted. And who know what Tolbert's role is going to be.

murky...

On a PPG basis, he finished as the 33rd best RB even if he finished as the 23rd overall. If he's given an adequate amount of touches (not cutting him off after sub 10), I think low-end RB2/flex numbers could be expected on a PPG basis. I'm not as low on him as some, but not very high either.
Sure, he wasn't great in points per game. However, that is because he was limited in touches. Williams was actually really good in points per touch.

points per touch:

Williams: 0.72

Forte: 0.61

TRich: 0.63

Martin: 0.72

Ridley: 0.69

So to me it isn't a talent issue, it is an opportunity issue with DeAngelo. Based on the way he performed when given the ball last year, he has the numbers to indicate it all comes down to workload. If Williams can get 250 total touches. It would average out to 180 fantasy points which means you are now talking about a low end #1 RB.

Sure, he wasn't great in points per game. However, that is because he was limited in touches. Williams was actually really good in points per touch.

points per touch:

So to me it isn't a talent issue, it is an opportunity issue with DeAngelo. Based on the way he performed when given the ball last year, he has the numbers to indicate it all comes down to workload. If Williams can get 250 total touches. It would average out to 180 fantasy points which means you are now talking about a low end #1 RB.
Interesting, although he hasn't had 250+ touches since 08. He would need JStew and Tolbert to remain a non-factor for essentially the entire season for that to come to fruition.

There's going to be a short window for DWill to accrue any real value (I assume owners will try to move him at some point). It doesn't help that he plays SEA week 1 however, or that he has a week 4 bye.

If I'm getting D'Angelo as a bye-week flex option, I'm happy. RB1 that will get a solid workload with zero competition at the moment. Why wouldn't you draft him in Rounds 8-10 as your RB4..

points per touch:

Interesting, although he hasn't had 250+ touches since 08. He would need JStew and Tolbert to remain a non-factor for essentially the entire season for that to come to fruition.

There's going to be a short window for DWill to accrue any real value (I assume owners will try to move him at some point). It doesn't help that he plays SEA week 1 however, or that he has a week 4 bye.
Ofcourse, I'm not banking on 250 touches. I was just throwing it out there since it isn't a very crazy number. With where his ADP is, I think it's a nice gamble. What do you think the odds are Stewart is ready after week 6? Even if Williams just sees a slight uptick to 210 touches, that still places him in the top 20 RBs which seems a major win over RB #32 ADP.

ETA: I looked at the room Williams might have to increase touches. Last year Stewart had 110 touches (0.55 ppt) and Tolbert had 81 (1.07 ppt). That is 191 touches that are in play. To get to 250, Williams would need to pick up 64 of those extra touches or essentially a little over half of Stewart's 2012 touches. That is probably a little high since Tolbert could see an increased role, Barner could eat at touches, and Stewart may come back to get them himself. Again, its a very safe gamble with where he is going in drafts.

I'm telling you guys... I have a serious hunch that Tolbert's going to have a much bigger role here than he's being given credit for. The rumors in CLT are that DW has lost a step, not to mention that Shula's not exactly a wiz kid with the OC spot.

DW averaging a stout 2.4 YPC this preseason hasn't really given a whole lot of confidence to the fanbase, though admittedly it's not COMPLETELY his fault with the o-line in shambles. But the o-line issue isn't going to get a whole lot better, and Tolbert was already getting a chunk of if not all of the goalline carries to begin with. Given he's the bowling ball likely to make this running game even passable, I have a feeling he will be quite involved. IF DW's cheap - go for it. But I'd make sure you grab Tolbert late as a handcuff. We've seen a 50+ reception season from him already, so there's sneaky PPR value from his likely role in the receiving game, goalline, and increased carries.

I'm telling you guys... I have a serious hunch that Tolbert's going to have a much bigger role here than he's being given credit for. The rumors in CLT are that DW has lost a step, not to mention that Shula's not exactly a wiz kid with the OC spot.

DW averaging a stout 2.4 YPC this preseason hasn't really given a whole lot of confidence to the fanbase, though admittedly it's not COMPLETELY his fault with the o-line in shambles. But the o-line issue isn't going to get a whole lot better, and Tolbert was already getting a chunk of if not all of the goalline carries to begin with. Given he's the bowling ball likely to make this running game even passable, I have a feeling he will be quite involved. IF DW's cheap - go for it. But I'd make sure you grab Tolbert late as a handcuff. We've seen a 50+ reception season from him already, so there's sneaky PPR value from his likely role in the receiving game, goalline, and increased carries.
i agree tolbert should be in the mix a lot more now with jstew out, but seems like everyone on this thread including myself took dwill as a RB3 or RB4 type so handcuffing is really not advisable. I say take a chance on one or the other and hope that you don't need him. For the first 7 weeks i don't see how you go wrong taking a flyer on dwill as a backup and bye week guy. tolbert's scoring will be even more volatile than dwill, so he's untouchable except in super deep leagues. i agree with all of you guys that taking dwill as a starter even at RB2 is too much risk. Beyond week 7, if jstew returns at all, Carolina has the best RB SOS in weeks 14-16 according to the latest from the gurus here, so either of these guys could pay off at the end of the season when RB position tend to crumble with injuries. not a bad backup plan developing here, definitely worth tracking as the season rolls.

I honestly hope they got a clear indication from Dr. Anderson in terms of what's actually wrong and are able to fix it, even if it requires another scope. Just get the thing fixed.

Anyone already successfully cash in their Williams ticket on an owner who fell short of RBs in the draft?

Anyone already successfully cash in their Williams ticket on an owner who fell short of RBs in the draft?
I doubt you will get much value, Williams has burned so many people in fantasy that most people are down on him.

Users who are viewing this thread