What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012-13 Hot Stove Thread (1 Viewer)

:confused: MAC 32 knows his ####, shares it with everyone and is never smug. You may disagree but he never gives off an attitude
My tone in text format has a tendency to come off like that, I try to avoid using phrases like 'I think' but in so doing others have a tendency to read my statements as if I am saying it as fact. It isn't. It's just my interpretation of my strategy. 'This is what I would do, and why.' I will butt heads with people that spend on pitching every year because my strategy is to spend as little as possible on pitching. I prefer my pitching staff's to be pieced together with sticky tack and glue. It works. I've been coming in 2nd place too much recently because of my offense, not my pitching. Frequently get near the max in pitching, but am falling just a couple points short on offense. Frustrating, hoping I evaluated better this year (and not at the expense of pitching) so I can bridge that gap.
you are very matter of fact. I used to think it was smugness but realized i was wrong.Speaking of which i play in a keeper pts league and im really struggling with my first pick (6th round, debating between harper & felix). Im assuming youre gonna say harper but my top pitcher right now is sale. Can i get away with sale as my ace in a pts league (and then id draft sp-sp in the next two rounds). Felix is projected for 90 more pts than harper in my league.
If I were you I would try to trade Sale for a bat or pick and pick up Felix. I don't trust Sale to lead my staff, his use last year scares the crap out of me. I'd rather be wrong about him on someone else's team. This year, anyway. If you can't get a decent trade for him I'd still trend towards Harper, but but would make pitching a greater focus than I'm comfortable over the next few rounds. One of the keys to my strategy is you have to rely on your #1 and #2 arms. I don't trust Sale as one of my top 2 arms. I loved him last year because you could get him as your 4 or 5, I'd rather look for this year's Sale than pay top $ for the real version.
I dont disagree about sale. Hence my hesitation to go into the season with him as my #1. But assuming i cant trade him, youre saying take felix?
If you think you can get a Max, Zimmerman, or Wainwright in round 2 I would pick Harper. If they're not options I would pick Felix. Just can't stomach going into the season with a Sale + Moore/Samardzjia like combo, too much risk.

Happy cherry picking season!
I read through all of April and I would have posted good calls if I saw any. I'm fair and balanced like that. Please feel free to provide a rebuttal. Shady says you're spot on, so I'm sure its out there.
:lmao: i never said hes 100% right all the time. Heck i dont give a #### how right he is. All that i care Bout is he gives his advice and often backs it up with reasons :shrug: i choose not to listen to him sometimes (and did so when picking up molina)
Right, without opinions like MAC's, this place would blow more than the FFA.

Happy cherry picking season!
I read through all of April and I would have posted good calls if I saw any. I'm fair and balanced like that. Please feel free to provide a rebuttal. Shady says you're spot on, so I'm sure its out there.
:lmao: i never said hes 100% right all the time. Heck i dont give a #### how right he is. All that i care Bout is he gives his advice and often backs it up with reasons :shrug: i choose not to listen to him sometimes (and did so when picking up molina)
Right, without opinions like MAC's, this place would blow more than the FFA.
No qualms with him having an opinion, just don't get all pissy with me when I point out he might not be right. Not sure why gets a free pass on calling Lohse a "streaming option" in a 14-team league and then following it up with a claim that picking him up off the wavier wire would be risking your team chasing a career year. He's easily a #4 starter in a 14-team league. Easily. And I fully expect regression in Milwaukee.

:shock: Bryce Harper had 9 hits in a row? oh and a sore thumb
Bryce Harper is still dealing with soreness in his left thumb and may rest for a couple of days.It hasn't bothered Harper much so far, as he now has nine hits in a row this spring to bring his average up to a ridiculous .476, but the Nationals don't want to take any chances this close to the regular season. The hope is that a couple of days of rest will get him fully healed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then spend a tenth of your budget on him, I will save it, and try to get lohse like numbers or better for less money in season.

Ricky Romero to High A
I don't think the level is signficant. It's effectively just extended spring training for him. The Blue Jays' top three minor league clubs are all in cold weather cities (Buffalo, Manchester & Lansing). He can get more work done if he stays in Florida.

Then spend a tenth of your budget on him, I will save it, and try to get lohse like numbers or better for less money in season.
I'd love to hear how this is possible in a 14-team league. You'll be streaming guys in the SP #100+ range. It will take some very saavy moves to replicate Lohse numbers with that group on a $10 budget, assuming you have a $1 min bid.

I'd love to hear how this is possible in a 14-team league. You'll be streaming guys in the SP #100+ range. It will take some very saavy moves to replicate Lohse numbers with that group on a $10 budget, assuming you have a $1 min bid.
See above, twelve team league, forty man rosters, twelve player minor league development squad. I manufactured probably half of my innings with waiver fodder. Obviously this would need tweaked in a league with Faab but it demonstrates the strategy's effectiveness. Cheap pitching can always be found, no matter how deep the league.

I do like a lot of the streaming pitchers Mac had going last year. ####, will you do the hard work for me and post that #### this year?

See above, twelve team league, forty man rosters, twelve player minor league development squad. I manufactured probably half of my innings with waiver fodder. Obviously this would need tweaked in a league with Faab but it demonstrates the strategy's effectiveness. Cheap pitching can always be found, no matter how deep the league.
This isn't a dynasty league. Apples to oranges. You gloss over the FAAB aspect as a minor adjustment, when in reality it makes a huge difference. You really can't stream pitchers in a 14-team FAAB league like you are saying you can. Look man, I get the idea of streaming pitchers. You're not exactly the only guy that has ever implemented that strategy. I'm just telling you that this infinite well of "streamable pitchers" doesn't exist when you step into deep leagues with FAAB restrictions and competent owners. In fact, the rules are the way they are in some of those leagues to run off waiver wire squatters like yourself.

Don't spend money on mediocre pitchers like Lohse.
It's as if the past 2 years didn't exist in your world.400 innings, 30 wins, good ratios (mediocre K's).
Hey, if you want to spend your FAAB on guys like Lohse, have at it. I will save it for this year's Wilhelmsen, Greg Holland, Carlos Gomez, etc. instead. I prefer to spend an hour at work first thing Monday morning looking over the expected pitching matchups each week and look for good streaming types in good matchups. Can usually find low k types like Lohse and get them in favorable matchups. Strategy works for me, it's your game, you can do it differently if you think it works. I prefer to spend my $ on starters that strike people out.
FWIW, Lohse beat all 3 of those examples on the player rater last year. I stream SPs in a few leagues as well, but I think it's a short list of WW pickups in a 14 teamer that are likely to outperform Lohse over a longer stretch. Even some who do will be out of the woodwork types that won't cost you much FAAB.I think your contributions are solid and am not trying to get caught in the crossfire of the personal battle... but I'm sticking with the recommendation that Lohse is worth a decent bid. :shrug:

I do like a lot of the streaming pitchers Mac had going last year. ####, will you do the hard work for me and post that #### this year?
Please?
I did some last year, will try to do more this year. One note that really helped me last year, identify teams that suck vs. lefties then look ahead at what available lefties have them coming up. Try to pair them with other favorable matchups. This is how I latched onto J.A. Happ's hot streak last summer, had 3 matchups in a row against teams that suck vs. lefties (KC, Cleveland, and the Cubs) then a trip out to San Diego after the All Star break. 3-1 25 1/3 IP 6 ER 18 K. IIRC he had a couple more good matchups coming too, but then he got traded to Toronto.

Anyone know whats going on with Shaun Marcum? Is he gonna be healthy soon and an asset? Just traded for him and not sure if I made a mistake.

Also, which OF would you rather have? Carl Crawford or Ichiro Suzuki?

Thank you.

Lohse went for $53 in my 14-team mixed with a $100 faab budget.

for reference, best (as in, most owned in yahoo leagues) SP available as free agents include: Masterson, Porcello, Capuano, Gee, Pineda

Everybody has an opinion, and they can state it. It's your choice to follow said opinion.

I look forward to MAC_32s streaming tidbits.

Anyone know whats going on with Shaun Marcum? Is he gonna be healthy soon and an asset? Just traded for him and not sure if I made a mistake.Also, which OF would you rather have? Carl Crawford or Ichiro Suzuki?Thank you.
Pretty sure Marcum's middle name is DL.
A more serious answer: It sounds like they are hoping anti-inflammatories in the neck will solve the issue that has bothered him the last few weeks. I know there was discussion that a trip to the DL might simply buy them an extra four or five days by moving him to the back of the rotation, but I guess that's the best-case scenario. The good news is that it is not structural damage, but the bad news is things like impingements make it really hard to guess when exactly he'll be feeling better.

Streaming Tidbit: 14-teamers, listen up! Stream Adam Wainwright in home starts. You have to dig for the underlying stats, but its there. Trust me. Don't blow your FAAB budget on him though, and for God's sake don't spend a draft pick on him. We'll piece this thing together completely from the waiver wire. Pitching is only 5/10 of the equation, and there is sure to be plenty of it after the first 140 guys are off the board. I'll have more info on good streams tomorrow. I've had my nose in the books all day and I'm ready to come out with an idea that will blow your mind about streaming lefties in San Diego against teams that struggle against left-handers. Stay tuned!

Anyone know whats going on with Shaun Marcum? Is he gonna be healthy soon and an asset? Just traded for him and not sure if I made a mistake.Also, which OF would you rather have? Carl Crawford or Ichiro Suzuki?Thank you.
From what I've read the Brewers didn't re-sign him because of medical issues. Between this, his checkered injury past, and what's going on now I'd consider anything he does give you this year a bonus.

Streaming Tidbit: 14-teamers, listen up! Stream Adam Wainwright in home starts. You have to dig for the underlying stats, but its there. Trust me. Don't blow your FAAB budget on him though, and for God's sake don't spend a draft pick on him. We'll piece this thing together completely from the waiver wire. Pitching is only 5/10 of the equation, and there is sure to be plenty of it after the first 140 guys are off the board. I'll have more info on good streams tomorrow. I've had my nose in the books all day and I'm ready to come out with an idea that will blow your mind about streaming lefties in San Diego against teams that struggle against left-handers. Stay tuned!
Funny you should mention Wainwright. Went studs and scrubs in my auction. Kept Verlander for $27, paid $27 for Wainwright, every other starter on my squad is a buck.Nice fishing trip though.

Funny you should mention Wainwright. Went studs and scrubs in my auction. Kept Verlander for $27, paid $27 for Wainwright, every other starter on my squad is a buck.Nice fishing trip though.
What gave it away?

Lohse went for $53 in my 14-team mixed with a $100 faab budget.for reference, best (as in, most owned in yahoo leagues) SP available as free agents include: Masterson, Porcello, Capuano, Gee, Pineda
that is nuts
I wonder what the second place bid was. I somehow doubt it was $52.
Yeah chalk that one up to stupidity and move on.
:goodposting:Wouldn't shock me if Lohse turned into another Jeff Suppan (former Cards pitcher who went to Milwaukee for big bucks after a career-resurgent stretch).

Lohse went for $53 in my 14-team mixed with a $100 faab budget.for reference, best (as in, most owned in yahoo leagues) SP available as free agents include: Masterson, Porcello, Capuano, Gee, Pineda
that is nuts
I wonder what the second place bid was. I somehow doubt it was $52.
Yeah chalk that one up to stupidity and move on.
:goodposting:Wouldn't shock me if Lohse turned into another Jeff Suppan (former Cards pitcher who went to Milwaukee for big bucks after a career-resurgent stretch).
Suppan's performance for the Brewers was right in line with his expected performance. The Brewers overpaid but he turned out to be the mediocre innings eater that he was in previous stops in his career.Lohse is similar to Soup in age and that he came from St. Louis. But he has been a much better pitcher throughout his career. Suppan never came anywhere close to Lohse's 2011 and 2012 seasons.

This owner will be wondering what happened to all of his FAAB money around the ASB

I want to know what you gave for Marcum...I'd take Crawford.

I'm thinking we'd all like to hear Mac_32 break down RNR's Cake (16 team 5x5 obp) roster:

C Mike Napoli

1B Joey Votto

2B Dan Uggla

3B Pablo Sandoval

SS Alcides Escobar

CI Paul Konerko

MI Everth Cabrera

OF Jayson Werth

OF Colby Rasmus

OF Garrett Jones

OF Nolan Reimold

OF Seth Smith

Util A.J. Pierzynski

Util Travis Hafner

BN Kirk Nieuwenhuis

P Stephen Strasburg

P David Price

P Craig Kimbrel

P Brandon Morrow

P Tim Lincecum

P Sean Marshall

P Drew Storen

P Mitchell Boggs

P Koji Uehara

BN Jonny Venters

BN Jonathan Broxton

BN Aaron Crow

BN Andrew Bailey

:coffee:

I'm thinking we'd all like to hear Mac_32 break down RNR's Cake (16 team 5x5 obp) roster:C Mike Napoli1B Joey Votto2B Dan Uggla3B Pablo SandovalSS Alcides EscobarCI Paul KonerkoMI Everth CabreraOF Jayson WerthOF Colby RasmusOF Garrett JonesOF Nolan ReimoldOF Seth SmithUtil A.J. PierzynskiUtil Travis HafnerBN Kirk NieuwenhuisP Stephen StrasburgP David PriceP Craig KimbrelP Brandon MorrowP Tim LincecumP Sean MarshallP Drew StorenP Mitchell BoggsP Koji UeharaBN Jonny VentersBN Jonathan BroxtonBN Aaron CrowBN Andrew Bailey:coffee:
Colby, Garrett, Nolan, and Seth Smith are all possible platoon issues, Nieuwenhuis is too and can sub in but 5 platoon guys for 4 spots leaves quite the hole. Obviously those are not desirable UTIL options. Hafner's part time, AJ will sit frequently because he catches. Teams can be successful relying on two speedster's, just not something I would do. One injury and the SB category is cooked. Don't feel great about OBP either, his AVG issue guys walk quite a bit but enough to bridge the gap between him and the competition? Not so sure about that.Very strong starting pitching staff, but it's at the expense of the offense and obviously he has a saves problem too.Umm...good luck. Impossible to rule out a team before the season starts, but this team is going to need some in-season massaging to compete.

Umm...good luck. Impossible to rule out a team before the season starts, but this team is going to need some in-season massaging to compete.
That's a given in Cake
I'd bet in a 16 team league, two elite starters, an elite closer, and two strong supporting arms definitely will make it harder for him to compete though. Pitching over kill.
I was surprised that he went pitcher in rounds 2-3-4. He had three arms at a time when some other teams didn't have any. Sometimes a contrarian drafting strategy can work out. Zagging when everybody else is zigging can result in high value picks.

Users who are viewing this thread