What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2012-13 Hot Stove Thread (1 Viewer)

@BMcCarthy32: no. RT @GNovak712 You're a free agent in my fantasy baseball league, give me 2 good reasons why I should pick you up

:lmao:

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. 14 team league. Start 2 SP's, 2 RP's and 4 more (so total of 8). Here's what I got:

Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)

Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)

Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)

Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)

Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.

Thanks

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. 14 team league. Start 2 SP's, 2 RP's and 4 more (so total of 8).
similar league here. i'm bidding $5, but don't expect that will be enough. If the owners are even paying attention right now, that is.

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. 14 team league. Start 2 SP's, 2 RP's and 4 more (so total of 8). Here's what I got: Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)Chris Sale (CWS - SP)Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.Thanks
I wouldnt spend more than 5-10.

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. 14 team league. Start 2 SP's, 2 RP's and 4 more (so total of 8). Here's what I got: Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)Chris Sale (CWS - SP)Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.Thanks
Pass. Lohse types are a dime a dozen, streamer matchup types. I'm all for picking them up and dropping them to play matchups through out the year, but FAAB? No way. Save it for difference maker's, call-up's, and replacement closers.I actually think your pitching is pretty strong for a 14 teamer. You really just need more saves, save your FAAB $ to fix that problem. Can afford to unload O'Flaherty too.

No, you should not go big.In a 14 team league, Lohse has some value, but no reason at all to blow any significant part of your budget on a 34 year old journeyman starter who was unemployed for the past 6 months.Starting pitchers are uncereminously dropped/available all year long. You could use another starter sure, but if someone else wants to bid more than 5-7 bucks on them, let them have him.

I wouldnt spend more than 5-10.
Your starting pitching is plenty good for a 14 teamer. I'd save your budget to chase closers or bats.

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. 14 team league. Start 2 SP's, 2 RP's and 4 more (so total of 8). Here's what I got:

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.

Thanks
Pass. Lohse types are a dime a dozen, streamer matchup types. I'm all for picking them up and dropping them to play matchups through out the year, but FAAB? No way. Save it for difference maker's, call-up's, and replacement closers.I actually think your pitching is pretty strong for a 14 teamer. You really just need more saves, save your FAAB $ to fix that problem. Can afford to unload O'Flaherty too.
You sure are smug for being wrong so often.16 wins, 2.86 ERA, 1.09 WHIP in 211 IP may be a streamer in a 6-team league, but his production will have to fall significantly before he reaches that status in a 14-teamer.

(I don't even like Lohse)

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Thanks
You sure are smug for being wrong so often.16 wins, 2.86 ERA, 1.09 WHIP in 211 IP may be a streamer in a 6-team league, but his production will have to fall significantly before he reaches that status in a 14-teamer.

Career year4.45 career era

I'm not arguing not to pick him up, but spending a large portion of your FAAB monies on him would be a mistake.

Let someone else take that chance.

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Thanks

I'm not arguing not to pick him up, but spending a large portion of your FAAB monies on him would be a mistake.

2011: 14 wins, 3.38 ERA, 1.16 WHIP.He was terrible in Minnesota a decade ago, matured, and figured out how to pitch the last few seasons. Wouldn't be the first starter that ran up some bad seasons in his 20s only to settle into being a nice pitcher in his 30s.

(I still don't like Lohse)

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Thanks

:goodposting: Stream Padres at home, pitchers visiting San Diego, pitchers against Houston, keep an open eye out for guys like Capuano, James McDonald, Brett Anderson, etc. last year. Pick them up while they're hot. Quality pitching can be assembled cheaply. Don't spend money on mediocre pitchers like Lohse. Wait for him to have a cold streak, someone else drops him, he has a good outing, and has a couple of good matchups coming up - then pick him up for a couple/few weeks, see how it goes.

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Thanks

Evaluating pitchers based off ERA alone will get you into trouble. You need to look at the data behind the numbers. Same battle I picked with the Ian Kennedy defender's last year. Don't pay for the career year.

Don't spend money on mediocre pitchers like Lohse.
It's as if the past 2 years didn't exist in your world.400 innings, 30 wins, good ratios (mediocre K's).
Hey, if you want to spend your FAAB on guys like Lohse, have at it. I will save it for this year's Wilhelmsen, Greg Holland, Carlos Gomez, etc. instead. I prefer to spend an hour at work first thing Monday morning looking over the expected pitching matchups each week and look for good streaming types in good matchups. Can usually find low k types like Lohse and get them in favorable matchups. Strategy works for me, it's your game, you can do it differently if you think it works. I prefer to spend my $ on starters that strike people out.

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Thanks

Evaluating pitchers based off ERA alone will get you into trouble. You need to look at the data behind the numbers. Same battle I picked with the Ian Kennedy defender's last year. Don't pay for the career year.
:lmao: Thanks for the advice, chief. So you're saying there's more to pitching than ERA? And that there is data behind the numbers?

You must be quite the legend in the 8-team Yahoo league you dominate.

PS- Taking Lohse off the WW in a 14-team league is not "paying for the career year", but I'll leave the "why" for you to figure out.

:confused: MAC 32 knows his ####, shares it with everyone and is never smug. You may disagree but he never gives off an attitude
My tone in text format has a tendency to come off like that, I try to avoid using phrases like 'I think' but in so doing others have a tendency to read my statements as if I am saying it as fact. It isn't. It's just my interpretation of my strategy. 'This is what I would do, and why.' I will butt heads with people that spend on pitching every year because my strategy is to spend as little as possible on pitching. I prefer my pitching staff's to be pieced together with sticky tack and glue. It works. I've been coming in 2nd place too much recently because of my offense, not my pitching. Frequently get near the max in pitching, but am falling just a couple points short on offense. Frustrating, hoping I evaluated better this year (and not at the expense of pitching) so I can bridge that gap.

:confused: MAC 32 knows his ####, shares it with everyone and is never smug. You may disagree but he never gives off an attitude
My tone in text format has a tendency to come off like that, I try to avoid using phrases like 'I think' but in so doing others have a tendency to read my statements as if I am saying it as fact. It isn't. It's just my interpretation of my strategy. 'This is what I would do, and why.' I will butt heads with people that spend on pitching every year because my strategy is to spend as little as possible on pitching. I prefer my pitching staff's to be pieced together with sticky tack and glue. It works. I've been coming in 2nd place too much recently because of my offense, not my pitching. Frequently get near the max in pitching, but am falling just a couple points short on offense. Frustrating, hoping I evaluated better this year (and not at the expense of pitching) so I can bridge that gap.
you are very matter of fact. I used to think it was smugness but realized i was wrong.Speaking of which i play in a keeper pts league and im really struggling with my first pick (6th round, debating between harper & felix). Im assuming youre gonna say harper but my top pitcher right now is sale. Can i get away with sale as my ace in a pts league (and then id draft sp-sp in the next two rounds). Felix is projected for 90 more pts than harper in my league.

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Thanks

:lmao: Thanks for the advice, chief. So you're saying there's more to pitching than ERA? And that there is data behind the numbers?

You must be quite the legend in the 8-team Yahoo league you dominate.

PS- Taking Lohse off the WW in a 14-team league is not "paying for the career year", but I'll leave the "why" for you to figure out.
Do whatever works best for you, you don't have to be a #### about it though.

Streaming pitchers gets expensive when you have to pay for every move. If a waiver transaction doesn't cost anything, then sure, the flavor of the month SP against a bad lineup in a huge ballpark is a great strategy.

I personally don't like playing in leagues where the guy with the most waiver transactions wins though.

you are very matter of fact. I used to think it was smugness but realized i was wrong.Speaking of which i play in a keeper pts league and im really struggling with my first pick (6th round, debating between harper & felix). Im assuming youre gonna say harper but my top pitcher right now is sale. Can i get away with sale as my ace in a pts league (and then id draft sp-sp in the next two rounds). Felix is projected for 90 more pts than harper in my league.
If I were you I would try to trade Sale for a bat or pick and pick up Felix. I don't trust Sale to lead my staff, his use last year scares the crap out of me. I'd rather be wrong about him on someone else's team. This year, anyway. If you can't get a decent trade for him I'd still trend towards Harper, but but would make pitching a greater focus than I'm comfortable over the next few rounds. One of the keys to my strategy is you have to rely on your #1 and #2 arms. I don't trust Sale as one of my top 2 arms. I loved him last year because you could get him as your 4 or 5, I'd rather look for this year's Sale than pay top $ for the real version.

Streaming pitchers gets expensive when you have to pay for every move. If a waiver transaction doesn't cost anything, then sure, the flavor of the month SP against a bad lineup in a huge ballpark is a great strategy. I personally don't like playing in leagues where the guy with the most waiver transactions wins though.
2 of my 4 leagues are set up like this, definitely alters strategy a bit. Instead of looking at the next few days' matchups I look 2, 3, sometimes more cycles ahead. I usually spend most of my bench space in these leagues on arms too, more darts available to throw. I'm definitely up there on transaction totals in my other two leagues though, especially the daily waivers and daily lineup league. Every year they complain but then no one wants to make changes when we discuss them after the year is over.

Exhibit A

Should I drop Rios for Boesch who was just dropped?
I'd rather have Boesch.
Exhibit B

I would dump Desmond for Cozart.
Exhibit C

Anyone grabbing Jarrod Parker in redrafts?
Nope. Rookie pitchers scare the crap out of me, only if I'm desperate.
Shady, his solid advice was also for you to not pick up Yadier Molina, but I left that one off because he did give a reasonable response as to why. And we're just in April...

Happy cherry picking season!
I read through all of April and I would have posted good calls if I saw any. I'm fair and balanced like that. Please feel free to provide a rebuttal. Shady says you're spot on, so I'm sure its out there.

Exhibit A

Should I drop Rios for Boesch who was just dropped?
I'd rather have Boesch.
Exhibit B

I would dump Desmond for Cozart.
Exhibit C

Anyone grabbing Jarrod Parker in redrafts?
Nope. Rookie pitchers scare the crap out of me, only if I'm desperate.
Shady, his solid advice was also for you to not pick up Yadier Molina, but I left that one off because he did give a reasonable response as to why. And we're just in April...
OMG HE DOESNT GET EVERYTHING RIGHT!

I read through all of April and I would have posted good calls if I saw any. I'm fair and balanced like that. Please feel free to provide a rebuttal. Shady says you're spot on, so I'm sure its out there.
Here's my team log from my deep dynasty team last year. Enjoy. And probably best to stop this because this is not helpful to anyone. It's just you being a grundlepatch.BATTERS TOTAL BattingPLAYER, TEAM POS GP H/AB R HR RBI SB AVGAdam Jones, Bal OF 159 184/637 101 30 76 16 .289Curtis Granderson, NYY OF 155 135/580 100 42 102 10 .233Ian Kinsler, Tex 2B, DH 155 166/649 104 19 72 20 .256Albert Pujols, LAA 1B, DH 152 170/599 83 30 103 7 .284Alex Rios, CWS OF 151 180/583 90 24 87 22 .309Jay Bruce, Cin OF 147 136/537 88 33 94 9 .253Joe Mauer, Min C, 1B, DH 145 170/537 76 10 83 8 .317Jason Kipnis, Cle 2B 145 144/568 80 12 69 28 .254Martin Prado, Atl 3B, 2B, SS, OF 143 176/568 73 6 56 17 .310Michael Young, Tex 1B, 2B, 3B, DH 103 115/409 51 3 40 2 .281Garrett Jones, Pit 1B, OF 89 88/316 49 16 58 1 .278Asdrubal Cabrera, Cle SS 82 79/318 36 10 39 5 .248Evan Longoria, TB 3B, DH 73 78/269 38 16 54 2 .290Raul Ibanez, NYY OF, DH 66 53/237 30 10 35 2 .224Ryan Hanigan, Cin C 66 54/207 17 2 18 0 .261Will Middlebrooks, Bos 3B 63 64/236 29 11 44 3 .271David Murphy, Tex OF 59 67/208 32 7 30 4 .322Carlos Gomez, Mil OF 56 56/198 37 12 26 18 .283Dee Gordon, LAD SS 52 47/201 25 1 13 19 .234Devin Mesoraco, Cin C 47 32/146 15 5 14 1 .219Everth Cabrera, SD SS 44 38/158 21 0 8 21 .241Welington Castillo, ChC C 36 28/111 8 2 13 0 .252Lance Berkman, StL 1B, OF 22 16/65 10 1 6 1 .246Eduardo Nunez, NYY SS, 3B 18 15/51 6 1 6 5 .294Quintin Berry, Det OF 18 20/62 15 0 4 6 .323Bobby Abreu, LAD OF, DH 17 14/50 7 0 3 1 .280Chone Figgins, Sea 3B, OF 15 14/61 7 0 5 2 .230Nolan Reimold, Bal OF 14 16/57 7 4 8 0 .281Eric Young Jr., Col OF 11 18/44 9 2 6 2 .409Chris Nelson, Col 2B, 3B 11 15/41 6 0 6 1 .366Travis Hafner, Cle DH 10 7/36 4 2 2 0 .194Chris Heisey, Cin OF 10 12/41 8 0 1 1 .293Nate McLouth, Bal OF 9 9/35 6 3 3 4 .257Casey McGehee, NYY 3B, 1B 8 7/24 1 0 1 0 .292Wilson Betemit, Bal 3B, 1B 5 3/14 2 0 2 0 .214Jim Thome, Bal DH 4 3/18 0 0 2 0 .167Jamey Carroll, Min 2B, 3B, SS 3 4/11 1 0 3 0 .364Brett Wallace, Hou 1B 3 2/13 1 0 0 0 .154Colby Rasmus, Tor OF 2 1/11 1 0 1 0 .091Brian Bogusevic, Hou OF 2 2/6 0 0 1 0 .333Michael Brantley, Cle OF 2 0/7 0 0 0 0 .000Michael Taylor, Oak OF 2 0/7 0 0 0 0 .000Matt Carpenter, StL 3B, 1B, OF 1 0/1 0 0 0 0 .000Jonny Gomes, Oak OF, DH 1 0/3 0 0 0 0 .000Ryan Kalish, Bos OF 1 2/5 2 0 1 0 .400Victor Martinez, Det C, DH -- --/-- -- -- -- -- -- 2377 2440/8935 1276 314 1195 238 .273PITCHERS TOTAL PitchingPLAYER, TEAM POS IP H ER BB K W SV ERA WHIPMatt Harrison, Tex SP 199.1 199 74 56 125 17 0 3.34 1.28Cliff Lee, Phi SP 191.2 188 68 28 188 6 0 3.19 1.13Chris Capuano, LAD SP 139.0 127 54 39 122 10 0 3.50 1.19Chad Billingsley*, LAD SP 120.2 108 42 36 100 9 0 3.13 1.19Doug Fister, Det SP 115.0 108 41 26 98 9 0 3.21 1.17Shaun Marcum, Mil SP 101.0 97 46 33 92 5 0 4.10 1.29Mike Minor, Atl SP 75.0 54 20 14 56 5 0 2.40 0.91Clayton Richard, SD SP 64.1 58 25 10 28 6 0 3.50 1.06Gavin Floyd, CWS SP 61.1 61 37 15 57 2 0 5.43 1.24Kenley Jansen, LAD RP 60.0 29 16 21 89 5 24 2.40 0.83James McDonald, Pit SP 51.0 35 11 13 54 4 0 1.94 0.94Brandon League, LAD RP 49.2 45 15 24 34 1 15 2.72 1.39Tom Wilhelmsen, Sea RP 46.1 29 9 20 48 2 26 1.75 1.06Henderson Alvarez, Tor SP 44.1 43 20 14 14 2 0 4.06 1.29Rafael Soriano, NYY RP 39.1 26 10 13 43 0 29 2.29 0.99Grant Balfour, Oak RP 37.1 25 15 18 29 1 7 3.62 1.15Wilton Lopez, Hou RP 35.1 35 10 6 31 3 8 2.55 1.16Cory Luebke, SD SP, RP 31.0 28 9 8 23 3 0 2.61 1.16Jared Burton, Min RP 29.2 17 3 11 20 1 5 0.91 0.94Jordan Walden, LAA RP 29.0 26 12 18 34 3 1 3.72 1.52J.A. Happ, Tor SP 25.1 17 6 8 18 3 0 2.13 0.99Joel Peralta, TB RP 24.2 21 8 8 33 0 0 2.92 1.18Henry Rodriguez, Wsh RP 19.0 11 10 14 23 1 9 4.74 1.32Homer Bailey, Cin SP 18.0 22 9 6 15 0 0 4.50 1.56Brad Brach, SD RP 18.0 23 13 8 24 1 0 6.50 1.72Charlie Furbush, Sea SP, RP 17.2 15 7 9 22 2 0 3.57 1.36Octavio Dotel, Det RP 16.0 14 5 1 11 1 0 2.81 0.94Bryan Shaw, Ari RP 14.2 14 7 5 11 0 1 4.30 1.30Rick Porcello, Det SP 14.2 23 9 5 9 0 0 5.52 1.91Jon Rauch, NYM RP 12.0 14 9 3 9 2 1 6.75 1.42Wade Davis, TB SP, RP 10.0 10 5 9 12 0 0 4.50 1.90Matt Belisle, Col RP 10.0 13 4 1 11 0 0 3.60 1.40Stephen Pryor, Sea RP 9.0 11 4 3 12 2 0 4.00 1.56Jose Arredondo, Cin RP 9.0 4 3 5 12 0 1 3.00 1.00Bobby Parnell, NYM RP 8.2 6 2 3 11 0 0 2.08 1.04Brandon Lyon, Tor RP 8.0 9 5 4 7 0 0 5.63 1.63Zach McAllister, Cle SP 7.2 5 3 0 6 0 0 3.52 0.65Travis Wood, ChC SP 7.2 3 0 0 4 1 0 0.00 0.39Patrick Corbin, Ari SP, RP 7.0 6 1 1 6 0 0 1.29 1.00Chris Volstad, ChC SP 7.0 5 1 0 6 0 0 1.29 0.71Kevin Correia, Pit SP 6.2 6 1 1 5 1 0 1.35 1.05Miguel Gonzalez, Bal SP 6.1 2 0 2 7 1 0 0.00 0.63Jeremy Guthrie, KC SP 6.0 5 2 3 3 1 0 3.00 1.33James Russell, ChC RP, SP 6.0 7 3 2 7 1 1 4.50 1.50Joe Blanton, LAD SP 6.0 7 3 2 2 0 0 4.50 1.50Barry Zito, SF SP 6.0 6 2 1 6 1 0 3.00 1.17Wesley Wright, Hou RP 4.1 3 1 1 5 0 0 2.08 0.92Kris Medlen, Atl RP, SP 4.1 6 2 1 0 0 0 4.15 1.62Tyler Thornburg, Mil SP, RP 4.0 4 1 0 4 0 0 2.25 1.00Brad Lidge, Wsh RP 4.0 3 2 5 3 0 1 4.50 2.00Logan Ondrusek, Cin RP 1.2 1 0 1 0 0 0 0.00 1.20Edward Mujica, StL RP 0.2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 0.00Jim Henderson, Mil RP -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 1840.1 1634 665 535 1589 112 129 3.25 1.18

:lmao: i never said hes 100% right all the time. Heck i dont give a #### how right he is. All that i care Bout is he gives his advice and often backs it up with reasons :shrug: i choose not to listen to him sometimes (and did so when picking up molina)

:lmao: i never said hes 100% right all the time. Heck i dont give a #### how right he is. All that i care Bout is he gives his advice and often backs it up with reasons :shrug: i choose not to listen to him sometimes (and did so when picking up molina)
Good call on your part, btw.

If I were you I would try to trade Sale for a bat or pick and pick up Felix. I don't trust Sale to lead my staff, his use last year scares the crap out of me. I'd rather be wrong about him on someone else's team. This year, anyway. If you can't get a decent trade for him I'd still trend towards Harper, but but would make pitching a greater focus than I'm comfortable over the next few rounds. One of the keys to my strategy is you have to rely on your #1 and #2 arms. I don't trust Sale as one of my top 2 arms. I loved him last year because you could get him as your 4 or 5, I'd rather look for this year's Sale than pay top $ for the real version.
I dont disagree about sale. Hence my hesitation to go into the season with him as my #1. But assuming i cant trade him, youre saying take felix?

Users who are viewing this thread