What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

00's Mixtape Draft (3 Viewers)

the new-to-me song I like the best is "1234" by Feist.
I hate to be "that guy", but how could you not have heard this before? Apple blasted everyone in the face with this song on iPod commercials for months and months. ( I am thinking of the right song, aren't I? :) )
:shrug: I must have missed those commercials.
Ditto. I don't watch much TV, and my wife fast forwards through all the commercials. (She controls the remote. :bag: )

tyler_cracker - 13 sorry, it was 20. Liked this mix quite a bit.
yay! thx mate.i'm very slowly working my way through these. so far i've gotten as far as mine, abrantes' and valence's. oh and valence played jml(?)'s mix with that pep shop boys song and i def didn't like that song.

I've listened to more of these lately. Need to look back through the thread and see which ones I've commented on already.

I know this one is safe though... listened to Tufnel's today. Obviously I liked it, since the vast majority was from bands I'm already a fan of.

There were only a few songs here I didn't already have - Ween, Ryan Adams, The Wrens, and Fiery Furnaces. None of those songs motivated me to grab more than I already have from those artists. They weren't bad though and definitely couldn't weigh down a solid mix. :goodposting:

My goal has been to avoid the "skip" button at all costs. I want to listen to every song on every mix in its entirety.

The 7 minute Animal Collective song on Pirate Mike's mix had me glancing often to see how much time was left, but I made it. :hophead:

This Acer mix is really testing my resolve though. :help: I can actually handle the rap fairly easily, but the modern rock tracks are pretty brutal imo. No offense, just not my thing.

Edit: On this mix the only song I had already was the Amy Winehouse one. I guess "In Da Club" might be my #2 ranked song here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've listened to more of these lately. Need to look back through the thread and see which ones I've commented on already.I know this one is safe though... listened to Tufnel's today. Obviously I liked it, since the vast majority was from bands I'm already a fan of. There were only a few songs here I didn't already have - Ween, Ryan Adams, The Wrens, and Fiery Furnaces. None of those songs motivated me to grab more than I already have from those artists. They weren't bad though and definitely couldn't weigh down a solid mix. :hophead:
Thanks, Stu. :help:

I've listened to more of these lately. Need to look back through the thread and see which ones I've commented on already.

I know this one is safe though... listened to Tufnel's today. Obviously I liked it, since the vast majority was from bands I'm already a fan of.

There were only a few songs here I didn't already have - Ween, Ryan Adams, The Wrens, and Fiery Furnaces. None of those songs motivated me to grab more than I already have from those artists. They weren't bad though and definitely couldn't weigh down a solid mix. :goodposting:
Thanks, Stu. :doh:
I knew there was a lot of positive buzz around this mix, but booked for SXSW?? :doh:

Thanks, Stu. :doh:
I knew there was a lot of positive buzz around this mix, but booked for SXSW?? :doh:
Yep. Just plug in the iPod and head to the bar.

I sadly didn't get to load all of these mixes onto my iTunes (and thus, my iPod) before leaving town a couple of weeks ago. Just doing it now, and will begin posting my reviews tomorrow.

Next up (chosen at random)

D_House 2000s playlist
Definitely my favorite mix so far.Will be playing this one a lot.

Great mix of styles.

Loved the retro soul and R & B.

Really dug almost all the tracks (although also contains my 2 least favorite tracks so far too!)

5 Favorite Tracks I Hadn't Heard Before

1) "My First Lover" - Gillian Welch - Totally what I'm into these days (banjos f-ing rule!) Very surprised I haven't checked her out. That's about to change. :doh:

2) "Postcards From Italy" - Beirut- Love it. Totally into the sparse organic instrumentation. :thumbup:

3) "Get Free" - The Vines - Lots of great rockers on this mix. Not sure why this one stands out, but it does. (Upon further review, reminiscient of Nirvana. That would explain it.)

4) "Chinese Translation" - M. Ward - More of what I 'm digging lately. Acoustic, with a sad twist.

5) "Toys & Flavors" - Hellacopters - Not gonna pretend this is anything but throwback classic rock. I like classic rock. There, I said it.

Just Missed: "Another Day", "Last Nite", "Feel Me", "Over It", "Pillar of Salt", "Easy", "100 Yard Dash", "Rings Around the World"

D_House 2000s playlist

Great mix of styles.

Really dug almost all the tracks (although also contains my 2 least favorite tracks so far too!)

1) "My First Lover" - Gillian Welch - Totally what I'm into these days (banjos f-ing rule!) Very surprised I haven't checked her out. That's about to change. :mellow:

2) "Postcards From Italy" - Beirut- Love it. Totally into the sparse organic instrumentation. :lmao:

3) "Get Free" - The Vines - Lots of great rockers on this mix. Not sure why this one stands out, but it does. (Upon further review, reminiscient of Nirvana. That would explain it.)

4) "Chinese Translation" - M. Ward - More of what I 'm digging lately. Acoustic, with a sad twist.

5) "Toys & Flavors" - Hellacopters - Not gonna pretend this is anything but throwback classic rock. I like classic rock. There, I said it.

Just Missed: "Another Day", "Last Nite", "Feel Me", "Over It", "Pillar of Salt", "Easy", "100 Yard Dash", "Rings Around the World"
:lmao: Glad you liked it. I'm guessing you didn't like the Streets or Camera Obscura. I actually regretted the Streets pick since after I made it I realized I decided not to do a rock/hip-hop split and instead add some R&B to the mix.

Listened to Kumerica's mix. A lot of stuff I know and like (was sniped on the Libertines and Badly Drawn Boy tunes), the new-to-me song I like the best is "1234" by Feist.
Tremendous Upside - again, a lot of tunes I know and like. I'm realizing I missed the boat on Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend, I like all the songs I've heard from these guys so far and I never went deeper into them than a song or two, will investigate them both further. Anyways, my favorite that I hadn't heard previously was "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. Badass. Tasker - worked surprisingly well given the range of stlyes represented. My favorite here was Broken Social Scene - "7/4"JZilla's mix is next.

This one might be my favourite so far, just because there were so many songs that I liked and that were also new to me.

Tiananmen Tank Presents: Shepard. Wrex.
Agreed. A lot of great stuff here that was new (or mostly overlooked) to me. I had half the songs, but it didn't feel like it. Need to download some Royksopp, Rogue Wave, and The Knife. :thumbup:

just finished jml's mix.

never heard this mix of poor leno. not sure how much i agree with earlier assertions that it's a "completely" different song from the album version, but i am generally mistrusting of remixes.

this german song (wir sind helden - guten tag) could have come straight from my collection. jml are you familiar with Stereo Total? this song reminded me of them quite a bit.

several of these songs are a little too wussy/precious for me: "empire of the sun - walking on a dream", keane, snow patrol. i do have a soft spot for coldplay and yellow is a solid track.

liked the vampire weekend song a lot. need to check out more from those guys.

i'm not a huge fan of killers albums after _hot fuss_ but this "human" song is pretty bad.

the wombats sound a lot like franz ferdinand. a *lot*. maybe with some strokes mixed in. cute song though.

the editors sound like interpol fronted by the singer from a decent pearl jam cover band. didn't really care about the song though.

i think "you know you're right" is cheating. kurt is dead, man! krist is a politician! nirvana is not a 2000s band.

do not like this rammstein song even though i would put "engel" or similar on a 90s mix.

i like how the version of clint eastwood says "(explicit)" and also "(clean) [explicit]" and also censors the bad words which is really too bad because it seriously wrecks the flow.

and i'm sorry but the evanescense song and the pet shop boys song are really dreadful.

thanks for the mix, jml!

Piraughtmix - I like the name better than the mix. There are some good songs here, but for me it kinda gets weighed down by songs that don't do anything for me. The stretch from Portishead to Yeah Yeah Yeahs made me sleepy. :sleep:

Plenty to like though... some of my favorites from Of Montreal, Bon Iver, The Black Keys, and Fleet Foxes. Plus TVOTR, Jay Reatard, and Andrew Bird. :goodposting:

D_House 2000s playlist

Great mix of styles.

1) "My First Lover" - Gillian Welch - Totally what I'm into these days (banjos f-ing rule!) Very surprised I haven't checked her out. That's about to change. :headbang:

2) "Postcards From Italy" - Beirut- Love it. Totally into the sparse organic instrumentation. :headbang:

:headbang: Glad you liked it. I'm guessing you didn't like the Streets or Camera Obscura. I actually regretted the Streets pick since after I made it I realized I decided not to do a rock/hip-hop split and instead add some R&B to the mix.
I'll probably remove The Streets song from the mix. The R&B/rock mix worked, but that song stuck out like a sore thumb. Plus it's just really annoyingly repetitive. :lmao: There were a couple of other songs I'm not sure what to think of, but I'll probably leave for now. "Toys & Flavors" and "Your Daddy Don't Know" back to back make me forget I'm listening to a 2000s mix. They both sound like 80s songs to me.

The rest of the mix was really good though. "Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken" has been in my head for a few days. I already had it, but rarely think of listening to them. Great songs from a lot of artists I like. Plus the R&B that I should listen to more often. Good stuff. :unsure:

:shrug: Glad you liked it. I'm guessing you didn't like the Streets or Camera Obscura. I actually regretted the Streets pick since after I made it I realized I decided not to do a rock/hip-hop split and instead add some R&B to the mix.
I'll probably remove The Streets song from the mix. The R&B/rock mix worked, but that song stuck out like a sore thumb. Plus it's just really annoyingly repetitive. :thumbdown:There were a couple of other songs I'm not sure what to think of, but I'll probably leave for now. "Toys & Flavors" and "Your Daddy Don't Know" back to back make me forget I'm listening to a 2000s mix. They both sound like 80s songs to me.The rest of the mix was really good though. "Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken" has been in my head for a few days. I already had it, but rarely think of listening to them. Great songs from a lot of artists I like. Plus the R&B that I should listen to more often. Good stuff. :mellow:
Glad you liked it for the most part. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out where to put the Streets song. I should have just dumped it at the end of the mix.

JZilla's mix: A lot of new to me stuff. I haven't been into hard rock as much since high school and the end of grunge, but there are a lot of great tunes on this mix. Favorite track is the Von Bondies tune, followed by the Baroness.

Listened to Kumerica's mix. A lot of stuff I know and like (was sniped on the Libertines and Badly Drawn Boy tunes), the new-to-me song I like the best is "1234" by Feist.
Tremendous Upside - again, a lot of tunes I know and like. I'm realizing I missed the boat on Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend, I like all the songs I've heard from these guys so far and I never went deeper into them than a song or two, will investigate them both further. Anyways, my favorite that I hadn't heard previously was "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. Badass. Tasker - worked surprisingly well given the range of stlyes represented. My favorite here was Broken Social Scene - "7/4"

JZilla's mix is next.
How could you not have heard this before? It was in Departed (botht the movie and the ads), it's been played at several sporting venues that I've been to in person or heard snatches of it on TV, I think it was in an NFL commercial with the Patriots fans all through the season (or it could've been one of those extremely close "original" songs advertisers use). It's been so all over the place I'm surprised.

Tremendous Upside - again, a lot of tunes I know and like. I'm realizing I missed the boat on Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend, I like all the songs I've heard from these guys so far and I never went deeper into them than a song or two, will investigate them both further. Anyways, my favorite that I hadn't heard previously was "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. Badass. Tasker - worked surprisingly well given the range of stlyes represented. My favorite here was Broken Social Scene - "7/4"

JZilla's mix is next.
How could you not have heard this before? It was in Departed (botht the movie and the ads), it's been played at several sporting venues that I've been to in person or heard snatches of it on TV, I think it was in an NFL commercial with the Patriots fans all through the season (or it could've been one of those extremely close "original" songs advertisers use). It's been so all over the place I'm surprised.
I never listen to radio (I didn't even have a functioning radio in my car until 6 months ago), I don't watch a lot of TV (and when I do I surf during commercials), I watch sporting events at the bar, and I watched the Departed 4 years ago when it came out in the theater. So it's possible/probable that I did hear this (and the Feist song) before, but I just don't remember them.Plus hearing them on my headphones forces me to put them front and center vs. hearing them in the background in a movie or in a crowded sports bar. Anyways, now I have them and they haven't been spoiled to me by being overplayed. :thumbdown:

JZilla's mix is next.
I never listen to radio (I didn't even have a functioning radio in my car until 6 months ago), I don't watch a lot of TV (and when I do I surf during commercials), I watch sporting events at the bar, and I watched the Departed 4 years ago when it came out in the theater. So it's possible/probable that I did hear this (and the Feist song) before, but I just don't remember them.Plus hearing them on my headphones forces me to put them front and center vs. hearing them in the background in a movie or in a crowded sports bar. Anyways, now I have them and they haven't been spoiled to me by being overplayed. :rolleyes:
:shrug: I have no idea what's been a hit or not (except for some of the mega ones - e.g. Crazy).

Judging everything on my own terms.

There were some songs from the 90's mix draft that I thought, hmm, I like this song, only to find out it was a huge hit.

JZilla's mix is next.
I never listen to radio (I didn't even have a functioning radio in my car until 6 months ago), I don't watch a lot of TV (and when I do I surf during commercials), I watch sporting events at the bar, and I watched the Departed 4 years ago when it came out in the theater. So it's possible/probable that I did hear this (and the Feist song) before, but I just don't remember them.Plus hearing them on my headphones forces me to put them front and center vs. hearing them in the background in a movie or in a crowded sports bar. Anyways, now I have them and they haven't been spoiled to me by being overplayed. :angry:
:football: I have no idea what's been a hit or not (except for some of the mega ones - e.g. Crazy).

There were some songs from the 90's mix draft that I thought, hmm, I like this song, only to find out it was a huge hit.
I have no idea if it was an actual hit on the radio as I only listen to the radio at work, which at most times is on one of the construction rock channels. I'd known about the song from an Epitaph compilation CD so it was easy for me to pick it out from the backgrounds it was used. I also don't think a song has to be a "hit" to be used all over the place if it's catchy, or if it's used for something like Departed that actually boosts it up into more people's radar. The song had been out on the compilation (not sure if the album it was on was out at the same time) for quite awhile, more than a year or two IIRC, before it was in the movie which was it's big boost.

The Abrantes mix is pretty much right in my wheelhouse. Top notch songs from TV on The Radio, Midlake, Ted Leo, Dinosaur Jr, Okkervil River, The New Pornographers, LCD Soundsystem, Les Savy Fav, etc. Sleater-Kinney is one that I'll be downloading more from.

I'm enjoying the Eephus mix also. Only five songs I had previously, but I'll be adding more. I liked these hip hop songs a little more than some of the ones on other mixes. The Jazzy Jeff rap technically probably isn't all that good, but the Iverson drops are gold. :2cents:

Tremendous Upside - again, a lot of tunes I know and like. I'm realizing I missed the boat on Arctic Monkeys and Vampire Weekend, I like all the songs I've heard from these guys so far and I never went deeper into them than a song or two, will investigate them both further. Anyways, my favorite that I hadn't heard previously was "I'm Shipping Up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphys. Badass.

Tasker - worked surprisingly well given the range of stlyes represented. My favorite here was Broken Social Scene - "7/4"

JZilla's mix is next.
I never listen to radio (I didn't even have a functioning radio in my car until 6 months ago), I don't watch a lot of TV (and when I do I surf during commercials), I watch sporting events at the bar, and I watched the Departed 4 years ago when it came out in the theater. So it's possible/probable that I did hear this (and the Feist song) before, but I just don't remember them.Plus hearing them on my headphones forces me to put them front and center vs. hearing them in the background in a movie or in a crowded sports bar. Anyways, now I have them and they haven't been spoiled to me by being overplayed. :shrug:
:2cents: I have no idea what's been a hit or not (except for some of the mega ones - e.g. Crazy).

I have no idea if it was an actual hit on the radio as I only listen to the radio at work, which at most times is on one of the construction rock channels. I'd known about the song from an Epitaph compilation CD so it was easy for me to pick it out from the backgrounds it was used. I also don't think a song has to be a "hit" to be used all over the place if it's catchy, or if it's used for something like Departed that actually boosts it up into more people's radar. The song had been out on the compilation (not sure if the album it was on was out at the same time) for quite awhile, more than a year or two IIRC, before it was in the movie which was it's big boost.
i Shouldn't have used the term "hit".Should have said "well known" or "heard extensively in pop culture or advertisements".

I'm pretty removed from most of that.

Uncle Humuna said:
Arch Stanton said:
Uncle Humuna said:
D_House said:
Arch Stanton said:
I never listen to radio (I didn't even have a functioning radio in my car until 6 months ago), I don't watch a lot of TV (and when I do I surf during commercials), I watch sporting events at the bar, and I watched the Departed 4 years ago when it came out in the theater. So it's possible/probable that I did hear this (and the Feist song) before, but I just don't remember them.Plus hearing them on my headphones forces me to put them front and center vs. hearing them in the background in a movie or in a crowded sports bar. Anyways, now I have them and they haven't been spoiled to me by being overplayed. :thumbup:
:goodposting: I have no idea what's been a hit or not (except for some of the mega ones - e.g. Crazy).Judging everything on my own terms.There were some songs from the 90's mix draft that I thought, hmm, I like this song, only to find out it was a huge hit.
i Shouldn't have used the term "hit".Should have said "well known" or "heard extensively in pop culture or advertisements".I'm pretty removed from most of that.
I also want to add that the radio choise of construction rock stations is never my idea or desire. Any time my iPod gets put on the radio it is quickly vetoed.

Code:
[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?z2nzummtgmd"]http://www.mediafire.com/?z2nzummtgmd[/URL]
No theme for this mix--just songs from the decade that I like. I tried to order them with some semblance of flow and separating genres to some degree.13 Ike Reilly - Last Time
Hey Marco, "Last Time" failed for me.uh
Give this one a try:
Code:
[URL="http://www.mediafire.com/?0md44fnwuvm"]http://www.mediafire.com/?0md44fnwuvm[/URL]
Let me know if this fails too.
I'm getting an error when trying to unzip that song. Could someone upload it as simply an mp3?

Starting the theme draft so soon after this one is making it hard to listen to the decade mixes. I'm listening more to songs about ##### ### ######.

listened to TU's and Nigel's yesterday while Hiking.

TU your mix is now my favorite. There were only three songs I didn't care for and it isn't your fault I don't like Sleater-Kinney. The only new song for me was the Ryan Adams song. I didn't hate it like I have the other songs by him, but it still wasn't great or anything. This mix reminded me how good Fiona Apple and Fountains of Wayne can be. I can't even remember the last time I heard Fiona Apple, so it was a pleasant surprise. Seriously nice work here. Thanks.

Nigel I liked yours quite a bit as well, but I was too lazy to look for the right order. I'm sure that would have helped. I like the CYHSY song, which seems contrary to other reviewers. New Songs for me: "Snow Days", "I'm Gonna Run" and "Lust For Life. I liked them all quite a bit. Not a big fan of "Blue Ridge Mountains" or "Too Be Young".

Of those I've reviewed so far:

TU

Abrantes

Disco Stu

Nigel

Postradamus

Tyler

NV

JML

Professor S

listened to TU's and Nigel's yesterday while Hiking. TU your mix is now my favorite. There were only three songs I didn't care for and it isn't your fault I don't like Sleater-Kinney. The only new song for me was the Ryan Adams song. I didn't hate it like I have the other songs by him, but it still wasn't great or anything. This mix reminded me how good Fiona Apple and Fountains of Wayne can be. I can't even remember the last time I heard Fiona Apple, so it was a pleasant surprise. Seriously nice work here. Thanks.Nigel I liked yours quite a bit as well, but I was too lazy to look for the right order. I'm sure that would have helped. I like the CYHSY song, which seems contrary to other reviewers. New Songs for me: "Snow Days", "I'm Gonna Run" and "Lust For Life. I liked them all quite a bit. Not a big fan of "Blue Ridge Mountains" or "Too Be Young".Of those I've reviewed so far:TUAbrantesDisco StuNigelPostradamusTylerNVJMLProfessor S
;)Thanks Man, glad you enjoyed it

listened to TU's and Nigel's yesterday while Hiking. TU your mix is now my favorite. There were only three songs I didn't care for and it isn't your fault I don't like Sleater-Kinney. The only new song for me was the Ryan Adams song. I didn't hate it like I have the other songs by him, but it still wasn't great or anything. This mix reminded me how good Fiona Apple and Fountains of Wayne can be. I can't even remember the last time I heard Fiona Apple, so it was a pleasant surprise. Seriously nice work here. Thanks.Nigel I liked yours quite a bit as well, but I was too lazy to look for the right order. I'm sure that would have helped. I like the CYHSY song, which seems contrary to other reviewers. New Songs for me: "Snow Days", "I'm Gonna Run" and "Lust For Life. I liked them all quite a bit. Not a big fan of "Blue Ridge Mountains" or "Too Be Young".Of those I've reviewed so far:TUAbrantesDisco StuNigelPostradamusTylerNVJMLProfessor S
:wall:Thanks Man, glad you enjoyed it
:banned:

listened to TU's and Nigel's yesterday while Hiking.

TU your mix is now my favorite. There were only three songs I didn't care for and it isn't your fault I don't like Sleater-Kinney. The only new song for me was the Ryan Adams song. I didn't hate it like I have the other songs by him, but it still wasn't great or anything. This mix reminded me how good Fiona Apple and Fountains of Wayne can be. I can't even remember the last time I heard Fiona Apple, so it was a pleasant surprise. Seriously nice work here. Thanks.

Nigel I liked yours quite a bit as well, but I was too lazy to look for the right order. I'm sure that would have helped. I like the CYHSY song, which seems contrary to other reviewers. New Songs for me: "Snow Days", "I'm Gonna Run" and "Lust For Life. I liked them all quite a bit. Not a big fan of "Blue Ridge Mountains" or "Too Be Young".

Of those I've reviewed so far:

TU

Abrantes

Disco Stu

Nigel

Postradamus

Tyler

NV

JML

Professor S
:goodposting: Just kidding. Didn't expect my mix to mesh well with your, or most of the others, tastes.

Awesomesongs
Okay mix, but nothing really floated by boat.Decent enough stuff, just not my bag baby.

1) "To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)" - Ryan Adams - More throwback stuff. Sounds like it was an outake from Highway 61 Revisited. 2nd Ryan Adams song to top my new faves list. Guess I better investigate further.

2) "The Laws Have Changed" - The New Pornographers - I'm a sucker for tight harmonies.

3) "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" - The White Stripes - Have liked most everything I've heard from them. Dude is seriously talented. Would love it if he dubbed some bass lines into this. Yeah, yeah. I know . . .

4) "Blue Ridge Mountains" - Fleet Foxes - Don't usually like this style, but this one stuck with me. Haunting song.

5) "I'm Gonna Run" - The Fiery Furnaces - Still more throwback. Sounds just a touch forced though.

Just Missed: "Party Pit", "Gone For Good", "Lasso"

OK guys, I think my ibook is finally dead. It's been having issues for the last several months. I've been mostly using a work laptop for the last couple of months, but I'd turn to my trusty mac to stay on long enough to create a playlist, dl an album, or check out some pron. I moved recently, and I've tried about 30 times to fire her up since the move and no go. :goodposting:

I went ahead and created a playlist on lala. Not ideal, but hope it does the trick:

http://www.lala.com/#memberplaylist/-82865...gToken=1H821863
So there were only 18 songs on the lala playlist, I assume this wasn't the full mix. Anyways, a lot of great stuff here, including my favorite songs from The Walkmen, Trail of the Dead, and Arcade Fire, and other favorites from Neko, Beck, and Spoon. Plus a host of new to me songs. The new song that I liked the best was the Wrens song, "Hopeless".

Awesomesongs
Okay mix, but nothing really floated by boat.Decent enough stuff, just not my bag baby.

1) "To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)" - Ryan Adams - More throwback stuff. Sounds like it was an outake from Highway 61 Revisited. 2nd Ryan Adams song to top my new faves list. Guess I better investigate further.

2) "The Laws Have Changed" - The New Pornographers - I'm a sucker for tight harmonies.

3) "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" - The White Stripes - Have liked most everything I've heard from them. Dude is seriously talented. Would love it if he dubbed some bass lines into this. Yeah, yeah. I know . . .

4) "Blue Ridge Mountains" - Fleet Foxes - Don't usually like this style, but this one stuck with me. Haunting song.

5) "I'm Gonna Run" - The Fiery Furnaces - Still more throwback. Sounds just a touch forced though.

Just Missed: "Party Pit", "Gone For Good", "Lasso"
Thanks for giving it a listen, UH.

Here is my mix. I actually tried to go with a theme this time . . . I'm trying to use the songs to tell some semblance of a story - sort of my own "mixtape opera" if you will. Before I spoil it, I'd like to see if anyone can figure it out - it certainly isn't that complicated, at least to me. It's more than likely this all makes sense in my head and no one else's but it was fun trying to piece it together. Without further ado . . .

Professor S's 2000's Mixtape - Adult Contemporary as ####

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XLJU1VPRTracklisting:1. Nas - 2nd Childhood (3:51)

2. Toxic Airborne Event - Sometime Around Midnight (5:03)

3. Shawn Mullins - Beautiful Wreck (4:09)

4. Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire (3:23)

5. Cunninlynguists - Beautiful Girl (3:24)

6. Brother Ali - Prince Charming (4:35)

7. Q-Tip - We Fight, We Love (4:47)

8. Paolo Nutini - Jenny, Don’t Be Hasty (3:30)

9. Allison Krauss and Robert Plant - Gone, Gone, Gone (3:33)

10. The Avett Brothers - January Wedding (3:47)

11. Sister Hazel - Champagne High (5:20)

12. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (2:58)

13. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River (4:48)

14. Eminem featuring Dido - Stan (6:43)

15. Ryan Adams - So Alive (3:58)

16. Johnny Cash - Hurt (3:38)

17. Dave Matthews - Gravedigger (3:53)

18. Common - Testify (2:36)

19. OutKast - Ms. Jackson (4:30)

20. Amy Winehouse - Rehab (3:34)

21. Cormega - Therapy

22. Talib Kweli (feat. Mos Def, Jay Z, Kanye West, and Busta Rhymes) - Get By remix (5:44)

23. John Mayer - Clarity (4:32)

24. Kanye West featuring John Legend - Home (3:59)
OK, Prof. S., I listened to every one of these songs in their entirety. Hip hop/rap comprises about 2% of my music collection, so obviously I'm not well versed. Of those I'd not heard before, I liked the Talib Kweli the most by a wide margin.I'm a big Avett's and Ryan Adams fan but those particular songs probably wouldn't have been my choices. Love the J Cash cover.

Overall, not really a mix in my wheelhouse, but that's why we do these drafts. Thanks for putting it together.

Nigel Tufnel's mix: Good mix, well sequenced. A lot of artists and songs I know and love, special props to the "General Specific" and "Party Pit" picks, love those songs. Also had about a dozen songs I hadn't heard before.

My favorite new song from this mix is "Nothing Ever Happened" by Deerhunter. I need to dig deeper into these guys.

Piraughtmix - I like the name better than the mix. There are some good songs here, but for me it kinda gets weighed down by songs that don't do anything for me. The stretch from Portishead to Yeah Yeah Yeahs made me sleepy. :shrug:Plenty to like though... some of my favorites from Of Montreal, Bon Iver, The Black Keys, and Fleet Foxes. Plus TVOTR, Jay Reatard, and Andrew Bird. :goodposting:
:cry: Thanks for listening tho.

Final Mix:1 Dropkick Murphy's Shipping up to Boston (2:33)2 Sleater-Kinney You're No Rock n Roll Fun (2:37)3 My Morning Jacket One Big Holiday (5:21)4 Pearl Jam Down (3:17)5 Yeah Yeah Yeahs Maps (3:39)6 Arctic Monkeys Cornerstore (3:18)7 Cat Power Lived in Bars (3:44)8 The Arcade Fire Intervention (4:30)9 Queens of the Stone Age Go With the Flow (3:11)10 Deftones Simple Man (6:19)11 Wilco Impossible Germany (5:57)12 The Strokes Hard to Explain (3:50)13 The Hold Steady Lord, I'm Discouraged (5:08)14 The Flaming Lips Do You Realize (3:33)15 Fiona Apple Get Him Back (5:25)16 The Shins New Slang (3:51)17 Silversun Pickups Lazy Eye (5:54)18 Fountains of Wayne Winter Valley Song (3:35)19 Pulp Bad Cover Version (4:16)20 Ryan Adams New York, New York (3:46)21 Muse Stockholm Syndrome (4:57)22 The Hives Hate to Say I Told You So (3:19)23 Eddie Vedder Society (3:56)24 Vampire Weekend The Kids Don't Stand a Chance (4:03)
I was familiar with 80% of this mix and like most of it.I only own Fiona Apple's two albums from the 90's and based on the song here, I need to check out that album as well. I also enjoyed the DK Murphy's song, another band I'm not too familiar with. Some of my favorite songs from the Strokes, Arcade Fire, Pulp, MMJ and YYY's make this a strong mix for me. Thanks TU.

Here is my mix. I actually tried to go with a theme this time . . . I'm trying to use the songs to tell some semblance of a story - sort of my own "mixtape opera" if you will. Before I spoil it, I'd like to see if anyone can figure it out - it certainly isn't that complicated, at least to me. It's more than likely this all makes sense in my head and no one else's but it was fun trying to piece it together. Without further ado . . .

Professor S's 2000's Mixtape - Adult Contemporary as ####

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XLJU1VPRTracklisting:1. Nas - 2nd Childhood (3:51)

2. Toxic Airborne Event - Sometime Around Midnight (5:03)

3. Shawn Mullins - Beautiful Wreck (4:09)

4. Kings of Leon - Sex on Fire (3:23)

5. Cunninlynguists - Beautiful Girl (3:24)

6. Brother Ali - Prince Charming (4:35)

7. Q-Tip - We Fight, We Love (4:47)

8. Paolo Nutini - Jenny, Don’t Be Hasty (3:30)

9. Allison Krauss and Robert Plant - Gone, Gone, Gone (3:33)

10. The Avett Brothers - January Wedding (3:47)

11. Sister Hazel - Champagne High (5:20)

12. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (2:58)

13. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me a River (4:48)

14. Eminem featuring Dido - Stan (6:43)

15. Ryan Adams - So Alive (3:58)

16. Johnny Cash - Hurt (3:38)

17. Dave Matthews - Gravedigger (3:53)

18. Common - Testify (2:36)

19. OutKast - Ms. Jackson (4:30)

20. Amy Winehouse - Rehab (3:34)

21. Cormega - Therapy

22. Talib Kweli (feat. Mos Def, Jay Z, Kanye West, and Busta Rhymes) - Get By remix (5:44)

23. John Mayer - Clarity (4:32)

24. Kanye West featuring John Legend - Home (3:59)
OK, Prof. S., I listened to every one of these songs in their entirety. Hip hop/rap comprises about 2% of my music collection, so obviously I'm not well versed. Of those I'd not heard before, I liked the Talib Kweli the most by a wide margin.I'm a big Avett's and Ryan Adams fan but those particular songs probably wouldn't have been my choices. Love the J Cash cover.

Overall, not really a mix in my wheelhouse, but that's why we do these drafts. Thanks for putting it together.
:thumbup: Thanks for listening! The Talib Kweli is probably my #1 hip-hop song of the decade. And you're right, this is why we do this . . . eventually we all find new music we like!

I'm getting an "Invalid or deleted file" error when trying to download the drpill and tyler cracker mixes. :stalker:

I'm getting an "Invalid or deleted file" error when trying to download the drpill and tyler cracker mixes. :confused:
Same thing here. I have everyone else's on the list in the OP up to Marco, whose mix was hosted on mediafire and I was able to d/l yesterday. Today I checked it and it has the same error as pill's and tyler's .Who suggested we use mediafire again? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread