What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders send Seymour a "5-day letter" (1 Viewer)

Raiders officials are denying that a "five-day" letter has been sent to Richard Seymour, pressuring him to report to Oakland.Comcast SportsNet Bay Area reported that the letter had been sent, but they've since removed the story from their website. ESPN's Adam Schefter followed up with a "five-day" letter report of his own. Raiders officials claim no letter has been issued, and they're preparing to play Monday night's game without Seymour.
I don't know what to believe anymore. :football:

Raiders officials are denying that a "five-day" letter has been sent to Richard Seymour, pressuring him to report to Oakland.Comcast SportsNet Bay Area reported that the letter had been sent, but they've since removed the story from their website. ESPN's Adam Schefter followed up with a "five-day" letter report of his own. Raiders officials claim no letter has been issued, and they're preparing to play Monday night's game without Seymour.
I don't know what to believe anymore. :loco:
Trey Wingo just reported it on SportsCenter and attributed the story to Schefter. :shrug:

I don't know what to believe anymore. :loco:
Trey Wingo just reported it on SportsCenter and attributed the story to Schefter. :shrug:
They're probably right.

Seymour is dumb. People Oakland has a shot to actually be a solid team!

Russel is coming around and looking decent. Chaz Shillens should be ready by week 4 and DHB looks solid as well. Not to mentionone of the better backfields in DMC and M. Bush. A decent not great O line and the best cover corner in football. Seymour would really make that line at least solid. Oakland could suprise and out a scare into SD.

Evwery year theres a team that comes out of no where. last year ATL and Zona

I believe Pat Kirwan said on NFL Radio that if Seymour doesn't report, the Raiders get the pick back and the trade never happened.

Not 100% certain I heard him correctly. Can someone confirm?

Seymour is dumb. People Oakland has a shot to actually be a solid team! Russel is coming around and looking decent. Chaz Shillens should be ready by week 4 and DHB looks solid as well. Not to mentionone of the better backfields in DMC and M. Bush. A decent not great O line and the best cover corner in football. Seymour would really make that line at least solid. Oakland could suprise and out a scare into SD. Every year theres a team that comes out of no where. last year ATL and Zona
I certainly feel MUCH better about our team than I have the last three preseasons, but I can definitely understand why Seymour is bitter. Not only is he going from a great team to a much lesser team, but his kids are in school in New England and he gets traded 3,000 miles away. There is more to consider here than just a player's professional life. His personal life has now been upset too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Pat Kirwan said on NFL Radio that if Seymour doesn't report, the Raiders get the pick back and the trade never happened.

That's the way it is written but per the collective bargaining agreement the terminology doesn't hold any weight. This is why both teams are keeping quiet.

That's the way it is written but per the collective bargaining agreement the terminology doesn't hold any weight. This is why both teams are keeping quiet.
If I was the raiders, I'd be praying he doesn't show up and this trade doesn't go through!

If I was the raiders, I'd be praying he doesn't show up and this trade doesn't go through!
Show up or not he is the Raiders property. The league has to force the trade through. If Seymor sits out the year he will have one more year as a Raider. If the Raiders suspend him he will lose continue to be a FA after this year.

Can the raiders say this trade never went through and send him back to the pats?
Trade is contingent on him passing a physical. If he doesn't show up, he'll have a tough time doing that.
I hope to god for teh Raiders sake that statement is accurate. It sounds from other news sources they have already lost the pick. It a touch of insanity. So very Oakland.

Can the raiders say this trade never went through and send him back to the pats?
Trade is contingent on him passing a physical. If he doesn't show up, he'll have a tough time doing that.
I hope to god for teh Raiders sake that statement is accurate. It sounds from other news sources they have already lost the pick.
Have to believe Roger wouldn't let that happen. For a league which values competitive balance, he'd allow a 1st-round pick to be taken from a poor team with them getting nothing in return? Just can't see it.

Seymour is dumb. People Oakland has a shot to actually be a solid team! Russel is coming around and looking decent. Chaz Shillens should be ready by week 4 and DHB looks solid as well. Not to mentionone of the better backfields in DMC and M. Bush. A decent not great O line and the best cover corner in football. Seymour would really make that line at least solid. Oakland could suprise and out a scare into SD. Every year theres a team that comes out of no where. last year ATL and Zona
I certainly feel MUCH better about our team than I have the last three preseasons, but I can definitely understand why Seymour is bitter. Not only is he going from a great team to a much lesser team, but his kids are in school in New England and he gets traded 3,000 miles away. There is more to consider here than just a player's professional life. His personal life has now been upset too.
Screw his personal life. He should have opted to do something with his life other than play a professional sport if that's a huge priority of his. Unfortunately for him, you can be traded on a whim in the business he selected.Now, if he wants a new contract before reporting I could understand this. It's a business to him as well and without guaranteed contracts he can use whatever leverage he has to get his payday. But his personal life shouldn't even be a consideration here.

Seymour is dumb. People Oakland has a shot to actually be a solid team! Russel is coming around and looking decent. Chaz Shillens should be ready by week 4 and DHB looks solid as well. Not to mentionone of the better backfields in DMC and M. Bush. A decent not great O line and the best cover corner in football. Seymour would really make that line at least solid. Oakland could suprise and out a scare into SD. Evwery year theres a team that comes out of no where. last year ATL and Zona
You are complete nuts. The Raiders are the worst team in the NFL. You know its bad when Detroit fans are looking down their noses. They be lucky to win 4 games. I totally understand Seymour. It's a huge slap in the face to be traded, and to the Raiders? I'd quit.

Well, the Oakland Tribune is making it sound like it's the Raiders problem not the Pats . . .

Seymour stays away, likely won't play Monday

By Steve Corkran

Oakland Tribune

The Raiders are nearing the point where it's time to take a drastic step in an attempt to persuade defensive lineman Richard Seymour to honor the trade that sent him to the Raiders from the New England Patriots on Sunday.

Seymour has had almost five days to make his way from Massachusetts to Oakland since he was traded for a 2011 first-round draft pick.

His failure to make the five-hour flight and subsequent five-minute cab ride during that time suggests it's more than a lingering issue with the Patriots that is keeping him from reporting.

Seymour missed practice Thursday night, making it four missed practices, including the day of the trade, since he learned his eight-year run with the Patriots ended one week before the regular season started.

Cable said he has spoken with Seymour since their initial conversation Monday and that Seymour hasn't wavered in his assertion that he wants to play for the Raiders.

"It has been nothing more than just trying to get some of these details worked out," coach Tom Cable said, without addressing the details. "That's it."

In the interim, Cable said, the Raiders received a roster exemption from the league because of Seymour's tardiness in reporting. They re-signed defensive tackle William Joseph to fill the vacancy on the 53-man roster.

Joseph's re-signing, as well as Cable's declaring Trevor Scott the starter for Monday night's regular-season opener, points to the Raiders not

counting upon Seymour to play the first game.

A person close to Seymour said Seymour is awaiting word from the Raiders on when he has to be in town, in uniform and on the practice field.

That places the onus upon the Raiders to follow the protocol set forth in the collective bargaining agreement, which gives them the right to send Seymour a formal letter instructing him that he has five days to report for duty and take a physical.

Cable said he has no knowledge of the Raiders sending a letter or intending to send one.

If Seymour fails to comply with the terms outlined in the letter, the Raiders then would have the option of placing him on the reserve/failed to report list. Taking such an extreme measure would make Seymour ineligible to play for the Raiders or any other team this season.

Naturally, that's the last thing the Raiders and Seymour want to happen. The Raiders would be without the services of a five-time Pro Bowler they counted on to start at right defensive end. Seymour's contract would be frozen until after the season ends.

Therefore, Seymour still would have the one year remaining on his contract that he is playing under right now, and he wouldn't be able to hit the free-agent market in 2010. The Raiders would retain his rights for 2010 at his current salary of $3.685 million.

The league approved the trade hours after it was announced by the Raiders and Patriots. The only obstacle is Seymour's requirement to pass a Raiders-administered physical.

"It's between him and Oakland," Patriots coach Bill Belichick told WEEI Radio in Boston on Thursday.

For now, perhaps. A league spokesman said Tuesday that it's up to the Raiders and Patriots to work out. In the long run, it's possible that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will be asked to intervene and sort out the mess.

Who cares about going from a winning team to a losing one? When he joined the Pats they sucked too or else they wouldn't have been able to take him with the 6th pick - and right after he talked about how happy he was to be there. As far as his kids goes, that's part of being an NFL player so suck it up, nancy. And this is coming from a Chargers fan who hates seeing the Raiders get Seymour and would rather he stayed with the Pats.

i hope he tells the raiders to stick it. its time for this to go to court. players sign to play for team A. not team B. curt flood fought and won 40 years ago. its time for someone to fight a trade in court. i'm not saying he'd win; i'd just like to see the argument that can be made for basically enslaving someone by shipping him to whever YOU want.

i hope he tells the raiders to stick it. its time for this to go to court. players sign to play for team A. not team B. curt flood fought and won 40 years ago. its time for someone to fight a trade in court. i'm not saying he'd win; i'd just like to see the argument that can be made for basically enslaving someone by shipping him to whever YOU want.
:goodposting: enslaving

i know that's an extreme word and it isn't right to use it in this context, but i couldn't think of anything else.

That won't happen but if it did it would be very bad for any team like the Raiders. Any player traded that didn't want to go to a certain team would refuse to show and the trade would be nullified? That would be total chaos .The Raiders should have done their due diligence before the deal.

So you are against the draft as well then?My view on it is that he is paid very well to be a football player. One of the sacrifices, like having to maintain your body, is the choice of employers for part of your career.

That won't happen but if it did it would be very bad for any team like the Raiders. Any player traded that didn't want to go to a certain team would refuse to show and the trade would be nullified? That would be total chaos .The Raiders should have done their due diligence before the deal.
BINGO.

I agree. Teams get rid of players that don't want to be there. Why would they trade for a player that doesn't want to play for them? And if they were trading a fifth round pick for a guy, you can imagine someone screwing up. But when you are trading a first round pick I'd do my due diligence. And then, of course, it is the Raiders. Al Davis can't even imagine that anyone wouldn't want to play for his team.

If he doesn't show up, NE gets him back and keeps OAK's first round pick.

Of course, that is contingent upon Al Davis passing a physical.

This is some whiney crap.

My company just shipped a whole department from our NJ office to our Pennsylvania office. The people had a choice to either go to PA or look for a new job.The practice isn't exclusive to the NFL.

According to Chris Gasper of The Boston Globe, by sending the letter, Oakland basically acknowledges that he is their problem, not New England's.

The Raiders decision to send Seymour the letter is good news for the Patriots. It is basically an admission by Oakland that Seymour, who was traded to Oakland on Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick, is now their property and their problem, not that of the Patriots.

According to Chris Gasper of The Boston Globe, by sending the letter, Oakland basically acknowledges that he is their problem, not New England's.

The Raiders decision to send Seymour the letter is good news for the Patriots. It is basically an admission by Oakland that Seymour, who was traded to Oakland on Sunday for a 2011 first-round pick, is now their property and their problem, not that of the Patriots.
:loco: what are they supposed to do, call the Pats and tell them the guy they dealt won't report and have them talk to him?

:loco: what are they supposed to do, call the Pats and tell them the guy they dealt won't report and have them talk to him?
It's as opposed to essentially nixing the trade.

Didn't something like this happen in the early 80s between the Rams & Lions . IIRC the Rams sebt RB to the Lions & refused to report and Rozelle nullified the deal. Back was Perry perhaps?

:confused: what are they supposed to do, call the Pats and tell them the guy they dealt won't report and have them talk to him?
this could be the 1st step in that process though. They obviously want him which is why they traded for him and if I'm the Raiders I try to get him into camp before I try to nix the trade. If he doesn't report all bets are off IMO.

:confused: what are they supposed to do, call the Pats and tell them the guy they dealt won't report and have them talk to him?
this could be the 1st step in that process though. They obviously want him which is why they traded for him and if I'm the Raiders I try to get him into camp before I try to nix the trade. If he doesn't report all bets are off IMO.
It's a matter of the Raiders sending the letter rather than the Patriots. The Raiders are essentially acknowledging that they now are in control of Seymour's rights, and that the Patriots now own their 2011 1st round pick. If Seymour doesn't report after 5 days, he'd go on the Raiders' Reserve/DNR list, and the Raiders could try to recoup the prorated portion of his signing bonus. It would be just as if Seymour was the Raiders' property all along, and they just happened to have one of their players not show up.At least that is my understanding of the situation.It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. If the deal is "undone," then every player in the NFL essentially gets a no-trade clause.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. If the deal is "undone," then every player in the NFL essentially gets a no-trade clause.
Not necessarily- if he is forced onto the Patriots reserve list for the season as a result (don't know if thats possible) that would not be much of a no trade clause at all. He would almost certainly have to forfeit one game check it seems if he ends up back on the Pats which is a non insignificant amount to a player.

Screw his personal life. He should have opted to do something with his life other than play a professional sport if that's a huge priority of his. Unfortunately for him, you can be traded on a whim in the business he selected.Now, if he wants a new contract before reporting I could understand this. It's a business to him as well and without guaranteed contracts he can use whatever leverage he has to get his payday. But his personal life shouldn't even be a consideration here.
Get a grip, guy.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out. If the deal is "undone," then every player in the NFL essentially gets a no-trade clause.
Not necessarily- if he is forced onto the Patriots reserve list for the season as a result (don't know if thats possible) that would not be much of a no trade clause at all. He would almost certainly have to forfeit one game check it seems if he ends up back on the Pats which is a non insignificant amount to a player.
If you're the Patriots, do you take him back at this point? You can't just throw him on that list if the trade is undone and then he reports back to New England. At best, you're going to be questioning his effort and/or whether he's going to make a cancer of himself.

Users who are viewing this thread