What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Read - Big Change For The Forum - Asking For Your Grace - Forum Offline 8/1 (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Big change coming in our forum. And I'm going to need your help and patience and grace please.

We've been fired by the company that currently hosts our forums. 

It's one of the more bizarre things I've ever had happen in business. 

So we're getting a new message board forum.

The good news is we think we've been able to transfer over things from this board to the new board. Screen names, log in info, avatars, and years and years of previous posts and content. 

And better news is the board appears to be both faster and have much better search capability. 

The new board will be hosted by https://xenforo.com/@Memphis Foundry did a ton of work on this and Xenforo was far and away the best option to do all the things we wanted. 

As we make the swap, the forums (both this one and the new one) will be offline starting 8/1. 

It depends on how well the transfer goes (there a TON of old material here) I'm expecting the forums may be down for several days after 8/1 if not the whole week or longer. Hopefully it won't be that long, but I want to be honest in letting you know Keith has done hundreds of hours of prep work on this but we truly don't know until we get more into it.

When the new forum is back online, your old bookmarks may not work. The safe way will be to go to www.footballguys.com and select "FORUMS" from the black horizontal navigation bar at the top of the site. 

To be clear, this is 100% the choice of our current forum provider.  Not us. 

It doesn't do anyone any good to air dirty laundry details. But I feel you're owed some explanation. The bottom line was this was about Customer Service. As many of you know, we've had our share of forum glitches with some folks unable to access forums and such. I requested a higher level of customer service from our forum provider in helping solve our forum users issues.

They said what I was asking wasn't acceptable and not do it again.

I told them with the amount of money we pay to host the forums (almost $10,000 per year), that answer wasn't acceptable.

I did it again.

They then told me they were done doing business with us. 

I guess they showed me who was boss. :bag:  

To their credit, they are helping with the transitioning and they gave us some time to do it. I'd been holding out hope we could delay it but the date is 8/1.

And in the end, I think it will be a plus for us and for you as a forum member. 

But I'll need your help, your patience and grace.

This couldn't happen at a worse time. August is 5x busier for us than any other month. Keith and the tech team are already buried and the last thing they should be doing is trying to transfer a giant dataset to a new forum. But here we are.

I think the new Xenforo forum will be much better. But I'm sure we'll have hiccups and glitches. Some things we'll be able to make it like this forum was. Other things will have to be different. 

I'm asking for your patience here as we make this transition. I've no doubt it'll be bumpy and any grace you can give us is most appreciated.

As I said above, this forum will be offline Monday morning about 9:00 AM ET. I'll try to have an update once per day on my Twitter account so folks can know where we are. https://twitter.com/Football_Guys.  I'm expecting the forums may be down for several days after 8/1 if not the whole week or longer. I'll post updates on my Twitter feed to let folks know so you're not in the dark. 

Again, this wasn't our choice. We've got a zillion urgent tech projects happening beyond this. But it's where we are. And I'd appreciate patience and grace as we make this change. I've no doubt people will be unhappy with some parts of the new board. But please know we're doing our best here for y'all.

J

Also - A thought. Here's what I'm most worried about - Personal Messages. 

The PM system here has always been weird in my opinion. And I'm not 100% certain every PM will transfer over from this forum to the new forum. And I worry about personal stuff that people value but maybe haven't kept a copy of somewhere else. If you have PMs you value, please make a copy of them or screenshot or whatever you need just in case there is trouble transferring. 

Dang J, that's a lot to take on at the start of peak season.  Best of luck that things go smoothly.  Props to you for investing the time and $ in transferring all this.

Wow, sorry to hear that. Good luck getting through this - yea talk about the worst timing possible. The whole thing does seem bizarre based on how you described it - I can't help but wonder if this is better in the long run.

Wow - what a cluster. And the timing could be much better considering we’re rapidly approaching redraft season. 

That said, the head’s up is much appreciated. I’m sure things will go as smoothly as you’re capable of - few are as dedicated to their customers as FBG, and If we lose some messages or whatnot, hey, it is what it is.

Looking forward to the new forums, and best of luck getting through this unscathed. 

Thanks for the heads up and update.

Can any updates also be included in the daily email? I'm not much of a Twitter guy, but read/browse the email each morning.
This! I’m not on social media. Us old carpenters are like that. 😂

Also, good luck with the process Joe. 

It'll be a shame to miss the Watson suspension outrage - from whichever views are outraged - but it has to be done and the sooner the better. Thanks for the heads up and wishing you (and all board skaters) smooth sidewalks.

Appreciate the heads-up or forthrightness. Hoping for smooth sailing and a quick turnaround (mainly for selfish reasons because my first/biggest draft is next weekend 🤣

Team Chaos said:
This! I’m not on social media. Us old carpenters are like that. 😂

Also, good luck with the process Joe. 
ha!  I do computer graphics for a living…and I’m not on social media either. Blue color and white color UNITE!!

TripItUp said:
These boards are a special place for me Joe.  Can't be thankful enough for you, David and FBG providing them over the past few decades.
this x1000000000

I’ve visited the forums almost every single day for the past 20 years or however long they’ve been up and running. 

Joe, on the new board, can I get my 3 digit member number back ;)  

Good luck with a smooth transition @Joe Bryant  - the timing is less than ideal obviously.

Thank you again for everything you and the FBG team do to make the website and the message boards the best place to be in the Fantasy Football community.

Faust

Users who are viewing this thread