What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB C.J. Stroud, HOU (1 Viewer)

Ohio State sophomore QB CJ Stroud was no outdone in a clean pocket in 2021.

Stroud (6'3/215) was not to be outdone in a clean pocket last season, something that could be argued to give an edge over Alabama quarterback Bryce Young, who he is in close contention with for the title of "best quarterback in the nation" in 2022. Stroud posted a 141.7 overall grade when kept clean according to Pro Football Focus, which put him just ahead of Georgia's Stetson Bennett (133.9) and Caleb Williams (128.6).

May 12, 2022, 1:18 PM ET

According to NBC Sports Edge's Eric Froton, Ohio State sophomore QB CJ Stroud is the best fantasy quarterback going into the 2022 season.

Although Stroud (6'3:/215) didn't come away with the hardware to prove it, he was one of the best quarterbacks in College Football last year. The Ohio State offense was elite behind Stroud and his collection of receiving weapons. Unfortunately, he lost Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson to the NFL for this season, but he still has Jaxon Smith-Njigba who was his favorite target last year. He led the country in QBR (91.6) in 2021 thanks to an incredible ability to stretch the field with his arm, and with a 71% accuracy rate, he can hit those tight windows in coverage. While he doesn't have the rushing ability as some of his constituents, he doesn't need it with TreVeyon Henderson in the backfield, which also keeps defenders in the box allowing more one-on-one coverage, which is like shooting fish in a barrel for Stroud.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Edge

May 14, 2022, 3:00 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, Ohio State sophomore CB CJ Stroud is the second on the NFL  Draft Quarterback Rankings.

He's right behind the Heisman Trophy winner Bryce Young, but this will battle for the top spot all year. It will be one of the more exciting narrative for the 2022 season on whether it'll be Stroud or Young as the possible No. 1 quarterback, or the No. 1 overall pick. Stroud has a great supporting cast with TreVeyon Young and Jaxon Smith-Njigba that made this the best scoring offense in country last season. He is the more prototypical quarterback with his size and strong arm that will make him one of the top passers in the country. He certainly has a chance to have one of more memorable seasons of winning the Heisman, a National Championship, and being the No. 1 pick

SOURCE: PFF

May 29, 2022, 1:46 PM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB CJ Stroud has impressed in several categories ahead of the 2022 season.

Stroud (6'3/215) is largely considered to be either the best or second-best quarterback in the 2023 NFL Draft class for a host of reasons that have shown up both in the film and on the stat sheet. One area he excels in is play-action passes. According to PFF, Stroud had the second-most touchdowns on play-action passes last season with a total of 19, which puts him only behind Hendon Hooker of Tennessee. Stroud finished out the 2021 season with a 71.9% completion rate with 4,435 yards, 44 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Jun 14, 2022, 9:16 PM ET

Pro Football Focus Connor Rogers has Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB CJ Stroud as the No. 1 QB prospect.

Throughout the season we’re going to see a lot of rankings with Stroud (6'3/215) and Alabama’s Bryce Young and see them switch between the No. 1 spot. While Young has more athleticism, Stroud is the better passer. He has an incredible pocket presence and does very well at going through reads and hitting those tight windows. The Buckeyes were the best scoring offense in the FBS last year and although they lost Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave to the NFL, there’s still plenty of talent including Jaxon Smith-Njigba and TreVeyon Henderson to have another season where they’ll compete for a National Title.

SOURCE: PFF College

Jun 18, 2022, 2:44 PM ET

Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB CJ Stroud is largely expected to be selected within the first five picks of the 2023 NFL Draft.

Stroud (6'3/215) is practically in a neck-and-neck race with Alabama's Bryce Young for best quarterback in the nation ahead of the 2022 season. In regards to the 2023 draft, most mocks have either Stroud or Young as the first player off the board. In the latest Pro Football Network mock draft from Cam Mellor, Stroud was the first player off the board. Here's what he had to say about the potential selection: "If the Houston Texans are selecting first overall, it’s clear the Davis Mills experiment has gone awry. It may be no fault of Mills’ as the roster still has holes all over, but an influx of talent and a surefire starter in Year 1 is what this roster would need after finishing last in the standings. C.J. Stroud enters the league with bonafide star qualities. Stroud possesses an elite arm and perhaps even better accuracy. His throws over the middle of the field are layered beautifully with pop and drive, thrown away from coverage or in holes that few quarterbacks can hit. With prototypical size and a pattern of linear growth, Stroud should be everyone’s QB1 and have enough in his repertoire to bank a franchise’s hopes on." It will be interesting to see how closely this aligns with reality and where the Texans are in terms of needing a quarterback when April rolls around.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Jul 4, 2022, 3:33 PM ET

CJ is tough to judge.  No doubt he has ability.  OSU has first round WR talents that when i watched their game always seemed wide open.  I know in college it is tough to cover one great WR, to cover 3 and the TE is impossible.

So you have to wonder how many QBs would have close to the same success?

You have to make an allowance for the fact that OSU played against the 5th ranked team in the country last night while everyone else plays East Montana Polytecnic or something, but Stroud was merely “ok” last night.

ND sat back with their safeties and forced everything in front of them. Stroud was slow to come off of his first read too often and his accuracy was way off on a number of throws. He did make a few excellent throws while running away from pressure, but they were also high difficulty catches that his receivers made. Overall, it’s one game, but he did not play like an overall #1 pick last night IMO.

You have to make an allowance for the fact that OSU played against the 5th ranked team in the country last night while everyone else plays East Montana Polytecnic or something, but Stroud was merely “ok” last night.

ND sat back with their safeties and forced everything in front of them. Stroud was slow to come off of his first read too often and his accuracy was way off on a number of throws. He did make a few excellent throws while running away from pressure, but they were also high difficulty catches that his receivers made. Overall, it’s one game, but he did not play like an overall #1 pick last night IMO.
I agree but also worth noting his top receiver was injured early and was sidelined for the majority of the game.

Young is far better
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but Stroud wasn’t playing Utah State yesterday, either.
Exactly.

The OSU Buckeyes are celebrating their centennial.

In the entire 100-year history of Ohio State football, the Buckeyes never opened against a top-5 team until last Saturday.

The Fighting Irish defense is no joke. They used a strategy taking away the deep stuff which meant the COACHES, not C.J. had to make an adjustment to gash ND's defensive front with power runs and wear them down which they did.
By the end of the game, Norte Dame's defensive front was gassed, and the Buckeyes won conservatively with defense and field position.

Every year, typically there is movement where top rated QBs shuffle up or down.
IMHO, by the end of the year, C.J. will still be near or at the top of this year's QB class.

OSU starting WR's caught 2 passes for 3 yards. Yes, the depth is absurd, but that's a whole lot of game-planning in the prior weeks out the window 6 minutes into the game.

Ohio State junior QB CJ Stroud completed 24-of-34 passes for 223 yards and two touchdowns in a 21-10 victory over Notre Dame.​

Though he missed a few throws in the first half and went into halftime down 10-7, Stroud (6'3/215) rallied to lead a 70-yard scoring drive at the end of the third quarter that was capped off by a 24-yard scoring strike to Xavier Johnson to give OSU a lead they would not relinquish. Stroud had some accuracy issues, but ironed things out despite his top returning wideout Jaxson Smith-Njigba injuring his knee which sapped his effectiveness. Stroud's 91.5 PFF passing grade last year ranks third among all returning starters and he is the odds-on favorite to be the number one overall selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Sep 3, 2022, 11:30 PM ET

Ohio State junior QB CJ Stroud completed 16-of-24 passes for 351 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions in Saturday's 45-12 win over Arkansas State.​

Stroud did exactly what you'd expect him to do in a home matchup against Arkansas State, as the Buckeyes' signal-caller threw scores of 30, 42 and 51 yards on the day -- with two scores coming from 42-yards out. With the game well in hand, Stroud saw only one drive in the fourth quarter before being relieved by backup quarterback Kyle McCord with just over eight minutes to play. Stroud has now thrown for 574 yards and six touchdowns through his first two games and will look to add to his totals next weekend against Toledo.
Sep 10, 2022, 6:38 PM ET

Ohio State junior QB C.J. Stroud completed 22-of-27 passes for 367 yards and five touchdowns in a 77-21 domination of Toledo.​

Stroud (6-foot-3, 215-pounds) was masterful in completing 81% of his passes for 13.6 yards per attempt in the intra-state off-conference matchup against Toledo. To date, Stroud has accrued 944 passing yards with a pristine 11-to-0 ratio steering Ohio State to an unblemished 3-0 record. He spread the ball around enough to produce three, 100-yard receivers, throwing a pair of touchdowns to Marvin Harrison Jr., you may have heard of his father, who is one of the top-three 2024 draft eligible wide receivers. For his part Stroud is currently the consensus QB1 ahead of Alabama QB Bryce Young in the 2023 NFL Draft eligible quarterback rankings.
Sep 18, 2022, 12:43 AM ET

Just from a physical perspective Stroud profiles as a pro ready quarterback. He doesn't have superstar WRs to throw to this year but he's off to a good start this year. Bryce Young is also very talented but you have to wonder if his frame is right for the pro game. I also think it's harder to compare because he has so much more talent around him.

Bleacher Report
@BleacherReport

The two best QB's in CFB showed out today 1f37f.png 2b50.png

Bryce Young: 25/36, 385 YDS, 4 TD, 55-3 W over Vanderbilt 2b50.png
C.J. Stroud: 17/27, 281 YDS, 5 TD, 1 INT, 52-21 W over Wisconsin
---------------------
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Alabama's Will Anderson Jr. is truly special. But Ohio State QB CJ Stroud has the inside track to be the No. 1 pick for the 2023 NFL draft.

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski
Stroud's likely going to be a Top 5 pick, if not the No. 1 overall selection. Pretty sure he'll be OK.
--------------------------------
Robert Griffin III@RGIII
CJ Stroud has been so phenomenal for @OhioStateFB we have become SPOILED BY HIS GREATNESS. No QB in the country has made more “NFL Throws”.
Egbuka and Harrison JR were 1,000 yard receivers because of CJ’s ability to be a PRIMETIME DISTRIBUTOR of the football. Give him his Roses.

NFL Rookie Watch
@NFLRookieWatxh
CJ Stroud vs Georgia:
• 23/34
• 348 yards
• 4 TD
• 34 rushing yards
The Buckeyes QB put the world on notice tonight.
Next stop, the NFL Draft 1f525.png
-----------------------------------
Pete Smith
@_PeteSmith_
CJ Stroud was everything in this game.
The performance of a lifetime.
Should've been enough.
-----------------------------------
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski
Subtle pocket movement. 2714.png
Extending plays. 2714.png
Creating outside of structure. 2714.png
CJ Stroud accomplishing exactly what he needed to show against Georgia to quell concerns about his game.

The Colts have to figure out a way to get either Stroud or Young. Even though they will probably be picking top 5, they may have to move up. I want one of them, not Will Levis.

Hard pass based on the Ohio St pedigree.
Typically, I would agree.
Stroud showed he’s in a different class last night. I had the same reservations but no longer.

Still like Bryce a bit more, but Stroud solidified a top 5 spot. Georgia is the real deal and he balked out, made nearly every throw, and used his legs as needed. 41 should have been enough.

Stroud showed he’s in a different class last night. I had the same reservations but no longer.

Still like Bryce a bit more, but Stroud solidified a top 5 spot. Georgia is the real deal and he balked out, made nearly every throw, and used his legs as needed. 41 should have been enough.
Yes, I try not to judge by their college. Otherwise every Wyoming qb would be in play.

The Colts have to figure out a way to get either Stroud or Young. Even though they will probably be picking top 5, they may have to move up. I want one of them, not Will Levis.

If the draft order falls the way it is now you have to believe one of the QBs is off the board at 1.1 with Houston...I just can't picture a scenario where they don't do that...right now Chicago is at 1.2 and since they have Fields you gotta believe they will be open for business (if they remain at 1.2) to make a move with a QB needy team, especially with one that has a high pick in this year's draft...the Colts definitely fit that profile but so does Atlanta, Carolina and Vegas...and possibly Seattle and Detroit...Bears are in a great spot to cash in pretty nicely right now.

Yes, I try not to judge by their college. Otherwise every Wyoming qb would be in play.
It’s extremely silly and lazy analysis.

If the draft order falls the way it is now you have to believe one of the QBs is off the board at 1.1 with Houston...I just can't picture a scenario where they don't do that...right now Chicago is at 1.2 and since they have Fields you gotta believe they will be open for business (if they remain at 1.2) to make a move with a QB needy team, especially with one that has a high pick in this year's draft...the Colts definitely fit that profile but so does Atlanta, Carolina and Vegas...and possibly Seattle and Detroit...Bears are in a great spot to cash in pretty nicely right now.
Seattle is also in play for 1.2 with the DEN first rounder. CHI has a much higher SOS, so if they win a game, maybe today vs DET, and end up tied with DEN and ARI, CHI could draft 1.04.

Some schools you can based on the system and types of athlete they recruit.

2023 NFL Draft: Ohio State's C.J. Stroud showcases potential in final collegiate game vs. Georgia

Excerpt:

The scouting report on Stroud coming into the game depicted a well-built 6-foot-3 quarterback with plus arm strength and the tendency to throw with touch, accuracy and anticipation. He has control of the offense at the line of scrimmage and is known to not get beyond his first read, which is not necessarily unheard of in college. The concerns stem from his inefficiencies when pressured, as well as his reliance on being a strict pocket passer rather than extending plays with his legs and making plays outside of structure.

In Saturday's 41-42 loss to Georgia, the California native was able to dispel some of those concerns. In an episode of CBSSports.com's 'With the First Pick' podcast, CBS Sports analyst and longtime NFL general manager Rick Spielman offered his perspective of Stroud's performance.

"The biggest thing when you watch that game is that he actually made some plays with his legs. He is always trying, when you watch the tape this year, and even last year, to prove that he is a quarterback and a pocket passer," Spielman said. "It seemed like he didn't want to make plays with his legs. Everybody talked about, and even some of the people I have talked to at Ohio State -- he is a better athlete than he is showing on the tape this year.

"All of a sudden, someone unchained the beast for a national championship game," Spielman continued. "There was no question about his arm talent, no question about his accuracy. I thought he got through his decision process a lot better against an NFL-caliber defense at the University of Georgia. The difference in this game, and what kept them in the game and probably what gave them a chance to win that game, was his ability to make plays with his legs. That is so important now in the NFL because you see all of these quarterbacks coming out having success can not only throw the ball but they can make plays with their legs."

Stroud completed 23-of-34 pass attempts for 348 yards and four touchdowns. According to TruMedia, he avoided three tackles Saturday alone. In the prior 12 games, he had avoided just one tackle. The quarterback registered 12 of his 47 carries on the year, doubling his previous single-game high of six carries. His 34 rushing yards were the second most (79 rushing yards against Northwestern) in a game this season. Stroud amassed just 108 rushing yards all year. In an exercise of quick math, he accumulated 113 total rushing yards in two games and -5 total rushing yards in the remaining 11 games. It should not be difficult to envision his play style on those 11 contests.

Passing EPA (Expected Points Added) when scrambling was 1.85 against Georgia. His year-long average was -0.2, according to TruMedia. The NFL leaders in the same metric are Justin Fields, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Daniel Jones and Patrick Mahomes. Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson and Aaron Rodgers are not far behind, which suggests there is some correlation. In short, Stroud used his legs more and was effective in doing so. His final collegiate game served as a showcase for prospective NFL suitors highlighting his capabilities.

Some have tried to peddle a narrative that Ohio State quarterbacks can not be successful in the NFL based on the performance of previous prospects drafted from the university. It is a stretch, considering Craig Krenzel, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor and Cardale Jones were picked outside of the first round. Quarterbacks taken beyond Round 1 rarely find success. Dwayne Haskins and Fields were each picked in the first round, and Fields has shown a lot of improvement in his first season with new head coach Matt Eberflus.

Stroud is the biggest factor in whether or not he ultimately achieves success and this weekend's performance went a long way toward convincing teams that he is a viable franchise quarterback.

I think Stroud is pretty darn good myself. He has a nice motion. Good feet. Excellent accuracy. I think by the draft he's gonna be #1 pick. I dunno. He bails out a lot, but to me Stroud has something special that the likes of Haskins, Pryor, Cardale Jones, and Fields didn't have. I just really love his accuracy. I see a lot of the good side of Jared Goff in there, but with better feet to move around.

I think Stroud is pretty darn good myself. He has a nice motion. Good feet. Excellent accuracy. I think by the draft he's gonna be #1 pick. I dunno. He bails out a lot, but to me Stroud has something special that the likes of Haskins, Pryor, Cardale Jones, and Fields didn't have. I just really love his accuracy. I see a lot of the good side of Jared Goff in there, but with better feet to move around.
Stroud could be the next Joe Burrow or he could be the next Buckeyes QB to add to the group you listed. Like you said, he has excellent accuracy, it's by far his best quality. I got a feeling he somehow ends up on the Lions, reunited with Jameson and plays behind Goff for a year or two. And while I wasn't sold on him earlier, watching more of his tape now, I do think he has something special. I don't see the Joe Burrow jump off the page special swagger yet, but there is something there.

Stroud could be the next Joe Burrow or he could be the next Buckeyes QB to add to the group you listed. Like you said, he has excellent accuracy, it's by far his best quality. I got a feeling he somehow ends up on the Lions, reunited with Jameson and plays behind Goff for a year or two. And while I wasn't sold on him earlier, watching more of his tape now, I do think he has something special. I don't see the Joe Burrow jump off the page special swagger yet, but there is something there.
Funny how you say he goes to Det as I think he's a better Goff.

Lance Zierlein
@LanceZierlein

I want to make sure I put this out there today... for draft discussion purposes. I wrote up CJ Stroud yesterday and the first game I studied with was the Georgia game. It was the best game of his career. It was so good that it could change the way teams stack their QB boards

I'm not sure he's better, but he seems to have the same profile. Great with good protection, sketchy when things break down.

I'm not sure he's better, but he seems to have the same profile. Great with good protection, sketchy when things break down.
Yeah, they already got one of those.

Puzzling why has he hasn't declared, and has until Monday to do so
CLew 1f3c8.png1f3c0.png26be.png1f94a.png
@droppedballspod

Also maybe doing one of those things where he doesn’t wanna go to a potential team without pulling an Eli Manning. Kind of like what Justin Herbert did.

What are the chances he actually doesn’t declare ? Has to be absolutely minimal. It would leave the ‘23 class so light on top QB prospects and would really be a 2 year dearth for the NFL and superFlex leagues.

What are the chances he actually doesn’t declare ? Has to be absolutely minimal. It would leave the ‘23 class so light on top QB prospects and would really be a 2 year dearth for the NFL and superFlex leagues.
It’s hard to believe that he doesn’t declare but it happens from time to time where a top prospect inexplicably (in our mind) decides he wants to stay in school.

Users who are viewing this thread