What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Michael Mayer, LV (1 Viewer)

Notre Dame junior TE Michael Mayer caught eight passes for 103 yards and one touchdown in Saturday's 26-21 loss to Marshall.​

Mayer's lone touchdown came on a garbage-time score from five yards out on a pass thrown by Drew Pyne. In a game where the Irish struggled to do anything of note, Mayer shined like the top tight end prospect in the nation against Marshall. Mayer would haul in a 30-yard pass late in the third quarter to set up an eventual one-yard rushing touchdown by quarterback Tyler Buchner, but this game will leave the Irish searching for answers this week. Looking to avoid an 0-3 start, Notre Dame hosts Cal next weekend.
Sep 10, 2022, 6:04 PM ET

He’s the only thing worth watching this fall in South Bend. Good numbers despite getting full attention from the Marshall D.

He's going to be a good one. I could see him going as early as 11 to the Texans with their 2nd pick, or 15th with the Packers, which would be scary if al goes well in the offseason in GB . Or if not those two, I could definitely see Washington at 16 taking him if they don't take an OL. All though I do think they will take an OL if there is one they like. But otherwise, I think Howell could really use an elite TE. Add to Dotson and McClaurin and Howell might really be in an ideal situation.

Anyway, I think one of those 3 teams will pick him, otherwise he might last until the playoff teams start picking. In which case, I like Bellinger, but Giants and Jones could seriously use a receiver like Mayer. All though, I have a feeling they will take an actual WR at that spot, hopefully one of the top 3, but I can see them going a bit earlier and Giants ending up with like Downs or something. All though, if Mayer is still there when the Giants pick, I think I'd rather have him than most of the WR prospects.

Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer Gets Intriguing NFL Comparison

Excerpt:

There is a lot to like about Michael Mayer as a prospect. While at Notre Dame in a run-heavy offense, he was used oftentimes as an extension of the offensive line. Standing 6’4” and weighing 265 pounds, he is built for in-line tight end work and already has strong technique. You will never have to worry about his effort or willingness to get the job done as a run-blocker.That size does more than just help as a run blocker. It also helps Michael Mayer in the receiving game as he can move the chains and make contested catches at the short and intermediate parts of the field. He uses his size to his advantage in those situations, taking full advantage of his large frame.

While there are certainly positives to the size differential, there are also some drawbacks. For Michael Mayer, it would be his lack of explosiveness and athleticism. He isn’t going to run away from people coming out of his routes or after the catch, which puts, even more, emphasis on his technique.

While having elite athleticism would certainly help, we have seen plenty of players succeed as students of the game. Based on that, the draft comparison that Michael Mayer received from Lance Zierlein of NFL.com makes a ton of sense. Zierlein compared him to future Hall of Fame tight end, Jason Witten.

Witten was never the fastest or most explosive athlete on the field but he was always able to get the job done. Whatever the Dallas Cowboys asked of him, whether it was to stretch the seam and exploit mismatches over the middle or hold up in the run game, Witten was able to do it.

That kind of reliable skill set is one that Michael Mayer also possesses. He showcased just how talented of a receiver he was during his tenure with the Fighting Irish, recording back-to-back seasons of 800+ receiving yards despite sometimes underwhelming passing performances.

While his pass-catching talent is impressive, it will be his work in the running game that will keep him on the field and hopefully result in a lengthy career. Whoever lands him in the first round is getting a ready-made NFL player capable of being an every-down player before his rookie contract expires.

Watched a lot of Mayer in college. I think the last two comparisons were perfect. He's a mix of Heath Miller and Gronk.

I'm rooting for the kid to land in a good spot, he always came across as a great teammate and someone who loves the game.

Why do I feel he “underwhelmed” with his performance? The drop on the gauntlet, the fall on the other route drill, not overly impressive numbers.
I was considering targeting him late 1st TE-Prem PPR but this cast pause for me.

Why do I feel he “underwhelmed” with his performance? The drop on the gauntlet, the fall on the other route drill, not overly impressive numbers.
I was considering targeting him late 1st TE-Prem PPR but this cast pause for me.
Everyone knows the combine is for athleticism and that is not Mayer’s strength. Don’t lose site of that.

His athletic numbers were fine, well above average. He’s just in a class of TEs that happens to be ridiculously athletic. I saw the sled blocking drills and most of the TEs were awful- too high and just lifted the sled up without being to push it. Mayer got low and just absolutely manhandled the sled.

His athletic numbers were fine, well above average. He’s just in a class of TEs that happens to be ridiculously athletic. I saw the sled blocking drills and most of the TEs were awful- too high and just lifted the sled up without being to push it. Mayer got low and just absolutely manhandled the sled.
Mayer is about route running and catching the ball.

Everyone knows the combine is for athleticism and that is not Mayer’s strength. Don’t lose site of that
That might make him a fine pro, but for fantasy, it's the special athletes that get targets. Above average athletes that are good all around players don't get the looks.
TE athleticism is almost as important for projecting success as it is at Edge.

I know Mayer is an excellent blocker, but I was unaware of his “route” discipline & skill compared to others.
Thanks for info

Witten is the comp I've heard for how Mayer plays. So that makes sense. I am just saying he was still an above average TE for the NFL athletically and he is way ahead of the other TEs (except Darnell Washington) when it comes to blocking. That should help him get on the field more often.

Everyone knows the combine is for athleticism and that is not Mayer’s strength. Don’t lose site of that
That might make him a fine pro, but for fantasy, it's the special athletes that get targets. Above average athletes that are good all around players don't get the looks.
TE athleticism is almost as important for projecting success as it is at Edge.
Always a worry they turn into Kyle Rudolph, but Mayer runs perfect routes and catches the ball well.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Multiple NFL scouts reportedly believe Michael Mayer is still “the best” TE prospect in this year’s draft, despite other TE’s having stronger combine performances. Mayer was 11th among all TE’s in the 40-Yard Dash (4.70) 12th among all TE’s in the vertical jump (32.5”) 10th among all TE’s in the broad jump (9’10”) Mayer is set to workout at Notre Dame’s Pro Day on Friday, March 24

That might make him a fine pro, but for fantasy, it's the special athletes that get targets.
Not always true at TE. See. Heath Miller, Jason Witten, et. al.
Not to get off the subject but Witten always comes up in this category of TE's, the not special athlete types. I've been guilty of the comp myself several times.

What's kind of crazy is while his numbers are from his pro day he ran almost the same exact 40 as Darnell Washington did and they were both listed at 264. Washington had some other combine results that were impressive that we don't have numbers on for Witten and he's longer with bigger hands but it's just kind of crazy for me Washington is held up as an athletic marvel and Witten for about the last 5-10 years is held up as the beacon of hope for every average to poor testing TE.

Users who are viewing this thread