What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AND THIS BIRD YOU CANNOT CHANGE (1 Viewer)

Saw a version of this in Alameda from ‘77 on the Tubez. Big ### confederate flag in the background made it uncomfortable in a major way. Like, play in front of a swastika or something.

That’s what inspired me to write about it. The song sailed, the backdrop was ugly. But the song… just ruled. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIWDmmqZzY

Last edited by a moderator:
I have for years tried to convince my band to do this song, just so we could pull it out when somebody shouts for it from the crowd. Alas, my skills of persuasion have been lacking. 

That could probably be a three-axe attack if you wanted it to be, bb. The piano in the live version is so amazing, though. Just top-notch playing all around. 

Billy Powell on piano!  

My much older brother loved Skynyrd. Growing up, he had a big confederate flag on his bedroom wall. He still loves the band and it wouldn't shock me if he still has the flag. 😢

Four Skynyrd tunes? I can’t even name four off the top of my head, but what are they?
A couple we haven’t played in a while - What’s Your Name and Gimme Back My Bullets.  Call Me the Breeze and Gimme Three Steps are regulars in the set. Given my posts in the PSF, you probably didn’t have me pegged for fronting a southern rock cover band. 

well ...in my teens as much as I was in on Yes, Roxy Music, and Mott the Hoople ...of course ...Todd

I was a junior in HS and fitting in - these guys are undeniable. I was a Doobies guy and a lot of rock had a lot of country influence (hello - Allman Bros)

I don't really like country rock ...but there is a TON of country influenced rock that I love.

This song brings back so many great memories - drinking in HS with buddies ...flirting with girls you want to get with ...

I will always love these guys - kind of country ...DON'T CARE!!  

Such a tragedy.  

ETA:  Needle And The Damage Done not only kicks ### ...it's soulful.

They cannot be discounted man.

I sang this to my D.C. girlfriend Shel one night in bed as she was asking me to stay and not go. She laughed. That's when I knew I had her pretty much for good. When your formerly yuppie boyfriend lays that one on you, what do you do? That relationship, of course, ended with some serially lousy and incompetent behavior. A hard drug abuser in a ####ty apartment does not make for much of a yuppie boyfriend. 

She's married, three kids. Story time over.  

But if I stay here with you girl
Things just couldn't be the same
Cause I'm as free as a bird now
And this bird you'll never change...

WHoooaaa whoooa whooooa whoooooa 

well ...in my teens as much as I was in on Yes, Roxy Music, and Mott the Hoople ...of course ...Todd

I was a junior in HS and fitting in - these guys are undeniable. I was a Doobies guy and a lot of rock had a lot of country influence (hello - Allman Bros)

I don't really like country rock ...but there is a TON of country influenced rock that I love.

This song brings back so many great memories - drinking in HS with buddies ...flirting with girls you want to get with ...

Such a tragedy.  

RIP to all.  :( 😢

A couple we haven’t played in a while - What’s Your Name and Gimme Back My Bullets.  Call Me the Breeze and Gimme Three Steps are regulars in the set. Given my posts in the PSF, you probably didn’t have me pegged for fronting a southern rock cover band. 
Sure I believe it, bb. I don't know that politics is necessarily a tipping point for appreciation of certain things.

We're all a little bit thrift store in one way or another. Anybody who knew me growing up wouldn't have dreamed I'd start a thread about them loosely influencing anything in my life, but here we are. 

Such a tragedy.  

ETA:  Needle And The Damage Done not only kicks ### ...it's soulful.

They cannot be discounted man.

Cool stuff. The link doesn't work, though. I'll have to look that one up on my own. I always thought "The Needle and the Spoon" was Lynyrd and "Needle and The Damage Done" was Neil, though. I think tim just had Needle and the Damage Done as #49 in his countdown. 

Am I messing up or is this correct? 

Either way, they are both sick songs. The Needle and the Spoon is amazing. 

An old metal band called Law and Order who was around in '90-'91 actually got me into Skynryd in a backwards way because of a cover they did of "Needle and the Spoon." The lead singer, whose name I can't remember for the life of me, had pipes on him galore. Such a great cover. 

I used to listen to in that dilapidated apartment. I got out of there. Called up the folks and told 'em to come get me. That was hard. I never copped to the drugs, I just knew I needed home. 

And thus it was. 

Don't mess with heroin. 

Was the needle and the spoon
And a trip now to the moon
Lord, took me away

I've been feeling so sick inside
Got to get better, Lord, before I die

If I leave here tomorrow
Would you remember me
I must be travelin' on now

There's too many places I've got to be

How they got that sound in Alameda? 

Owe it to Owsley and the Dead, really. 

Owsley that acidhead making sure that everybody could hear the instruments. 

Just a little rock and roll engineering history. 

Users who are viewing this thread