What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jelani Woods, IND (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Virginia TE Jelani Woods declared his entry into the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Woods (6'7/275) spent his first three collegiate seasons as a backup at Oklahoma State, catching 31-of-45 passes for 361 yards and four touchdowns with the Cowboys before transferring to UVA in the offseason and becoming one of QB Brendan Armstrong's favorite weapons. He secured 44-of-77 targets for 598 yards, 13.6 YPC and eight touchdowns. Woods earned an 82.8 receiving grade from PFF this year, the 13th highest such grade they awarded to tight ends. He has the size and athleticism to create major mismatch problems in the NFL and should find himself taken in the middle-rounds next April. 

SOURCE: Jelani Woods on Twitter

Dec 14, 2021, 5:30 PM ET

Virginia TE Jelani Woods posted a 4.61 40-yard dash and 24 reps on the bench press.

Woods (6'6"/259) might not have the fastest time at the combine, but when you take that speed and his mammoth size and strength and you really got something going here. That sounds nearly un-guardable for anyone, LB, CB or S. He rocked 598 yards and eight touchdown for Virginia after transferring from Oklahoma State, and that's a great way to stand out from a deep TE crowd.

SOURCE: Russell Brown on Twitter

Mar 3, 2022, 4:31 PM ET

Virginia TE Jelani Woods put together a strong performance at Virginia's pro day on Wednesday.

Woods (6'7/259) ran a 4.61 40-yard dash and put up 24 reps on the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine, but skipped all other athletic tests. On Wednesday at Virginia's pro day, he participated in additional workouts, and posted some elite times relative to the combine's participants. Woods' 4.20 short shuttle would have ranked as the fastest at the combine, while his 37.5 inch vertical also would have led the class. Woods is an athletic tight end who finished his final season at Virginia with a 44-598-8 receiving line. While he may not be regarded as the best tight end of his class, his elite size and athleticism will make him a coveted pick for some team.

SOURCE: Jordan Reid on Twitter

Mar 23, 2022, 5:28 PM ET

Draftwire's Luke Easterling compares Virginia TE Jelani Woods to Antonio Gates.

There hasn't been much talk about a tight end going on Day 1 in the draft. Woods was considered a late Day 2 pick early in the predraft process, but with a great showing at the combine, we've seen his stock soar. He's getting some top 30 visits, which means some teams certainly want to see more of him and someone could take him on the first day. Easterling has the Titans grabbing the former Virginia tight end at No. 26, and on his write-up, he compliments his athleticism on such a massive frame and feels like he has the same physical attributes as the future hall of fame Antonio Gates. 

SOURCE: Draftwire

Apr 3, 2022, 8:44 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Credit to @Bracie Smathersfor posting this in the 2022 Draft Prospects thread:

Kent Lee Platte@MathBomb

Jelani Woods is a TE prospect in the 2022 draft class. He scored a 10 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 1 out of 998 TE from 1987 to 2022. This bests an all time score that held for more than 20 years.
LINK

Brent Sobleski@brentsobleski

Certain prospects become "your guys" as everyone works their way through the evaluation process. No denying that...

• - Drake London
  • - Bernhard Raimann
  • - Jelani Woods
  • - Myjai Sanders
...are my guys this year.

-------------------------------------

The guys over at B/R laugh at how fond I am of Woods. But he's a truly elite athlete, massive target and still developing (HS QB turned blocking TE turned receiving threat for one year). A lot of people don't even know he had a knee issue last season that slowed him some.

The NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Virginia TE Jelani Woods has met with several teams on "Top 30" visits.

Woods (6'7/275) is an athletic maven who has turned into an intriguing option at the position in this year's draft. Per Pelissero, Woods visited with the Giants on Monday, and is scheduled to visit with the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday. Woods has met with 20 teams since the combine concluded and worked out with both the Colts and Bills. In his final season at Virginia, Woods totaled 44 receptions for 598 yards and eight touchdowns in what was a breakout season for the fifth-year player.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 18, 2022, 3:44 PM ET

Bold Predictions for 2022 NFL Draft from Bleacher Report Staff

Biggest Steal of the Draft

Brent Sobleski: Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia

No one ever got to see exactly what Woods could do at the collegiate level. The high school quarterback converted to tight end with the Oklahoma State Cowboys, where the coaching staff primarily used him in a blocking role. Upon transferring to Virginia, a knee injury slowed the renewed receiving target to a degree, though he did post career highs with 44 receptions for 598 yards and eight touchdowns. Woods' projection is built on two factors.

First, he's a massive target at 6'7" and 259 pounds, but he's also an exceptional athlete. In fact, he posted the highest relative athletic score among tight ends over the last 35 years, according to Pro Football Network's Kent Lee Platte. Secondly, a fully healthy version of the tight end showed up at the Shrine Bowl and dominated the competition. He looked smooth, fluid and utterly uncoverable in the passing game.

Woods has the potential to grow into one of the game's very best at his position

Eric Galko@EricGalko

We haven’t seen a tight end drafted yet. We’ll see a few go today, very likely including Virginia’s Jelani Woods. No tight end in this class has as much upside as Jelani Woods (best TE athlete ever)! Excited to see which team lands him! #NFLDraft

LINK to vid

Colts selected Virginia TE Jelani Woods with the No. 73 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft. 

Woods (6'7/253) redshirted as a freshman at Oklahoma State before totaling 31 receptions for 341 yards and four touchdowns in three seasons. He then transferred to UVA in 2021 and had a mini-breakout, posting a 44-598-8 receiving line en route to first-team All-ACC honors. Woods struggled with efficiency throughout his career, finishing with a 1.29 yards per route run. He is raw as a receiver, which is not ideal given that he turns 24 in October. Critically, he's an impressive athlete, running a 4.61 40 and the Combine with a 37.5-inch vertical, 10-foot-9 broad jump, and 6.95 three cone at his Pro Day. His athleticism and size could help him secure a starting role and touchdown-dependent fantasy value.

Apr 29, 2022, 9:55 PM ET

I'm going to reach for this dude. Early 2nd round rookie draft.

TE are hard to come by, and the best fantasy ones are always top testing athletes, always. Woods' Relative Athletic Score is #1. He is a great athlete. 

10 Colts Things Learned About 2022 NFL Draft: Chris Ballard's Strategy, Alec Pierce's Fit, Jelani Woods' Upside And More

Excerpt:

5. A few days in Las Vegas helped sell the Colts on TE Jelani Woods.

A number of college prospects gathered in Las Vegas the week of the Super Bowl to practice for and play in the annual East-West Shrine Bowl, one of the several collegiate showcase games held across the country in the lead-up to the NFL Draft.

Coaching the West team were Colts offensive coordinator Marcus Brady (the head coach) and tight ends coach Klayton Adams (the offensive coordinator). And that week, both those coaches had an opportunity to work with Virginia tight end Jelani Woods, who Colts scouts were already high on after a strong season for the Cavaliers in 2021.

Brady and Adams installed and coached plays and principles from the Colts' offensive scheme in practices and the game, which only helped with the team's evaluation of the 6-foot-7, 253 pound tight end they wound up drafting two months later.

"It gave them a chance to understand how his brain works," area scout Mike Derice, who scouted Woods, said. "So they were able to see how his practice habits were, how quick he learned and how comfortable he was with the terminology that they use within our offense. And so I think there was a level of comfortability with us and with Jelani, and vice versa."

Woods landed on the Colts radar last spring when a coach at Virginia mentioned to Derice and Colts Director of College Scouting Morocco Brown that they had a tight end transfer from Oklahoma State who was turning heads during practice. Derice saw Woods steadily improve during the 2021 season as he cut his weight from 268 in August to 255 at the East-West Shrine Bowl; that change, Derice said, helped Woods get in and out of his routes better and have greater acceleration as he made his cuts.

And with Woods' remarkable length and athleticism, he projects as the kind of player who can be a quarterback's best friend.

"He's always open no matter if it's covered because he's just so long," Derice said. "He has good hands, and he's able to shield the ball with his body from the DB."

Saw him live several times.  He's got a lot of skill.  Actually the entire UVA WR corp does.  They put up 500+ YPG ( I think top 5).  They've got a ton of WRs in the 6'2 - 6'6" range, plus a 6'7" kid beast of a WR that was hurt.  And a QB that can get it to them.  They just had no defense.  Interested to see what Tony Elliot can do with this group, and what Woods can do in the NFL.

That seems like absurd value, I was unsure he'd drop to me at #37 so traded up to get him. It's very much a dart throw but I love the upside at that point

Fantasy team won’t be patient with Woods.  Don’t expect much for a couple of years, if not more.

Is this based on anything besides him being an inexperienced tight end? 
Well, they do have Mo Allie-Cox and Granson.  Not that they set the woods on fire.  I like Woods a lot, but TEs usually don’t develop quickly regardless of Wood’s current development.  I’m just saying don’t be surprised if it takes him awhile to become fantasy relevant.  I hope he bucks the odds, but I predict lots of fantasy owners send him to the waiver wire during their 2023 rookie draft.  People don’t have patience anymore.

Well, they do have Mo Allie-Cox and Granson.  Not that they set the woods on fire.  I like Woods a lot, but TEs usually don’t develop quickly regardless of Wood’s current development.  I’m just saying don’t be surprised if it takes him awhile to become fantasy relevant.  I hope he bucks the odds, but I predict lots of fantasy owners send him to the waiver wire during their 2023 rookie draft.  People don’t have patience anymore.
I agree with all of that.  I have low expectations for year one.  Might get a couple games with a touchdown just because of his size but I would be surprised if he got 50 targets.  

I wonder why people bother drafting TEs if they don’t want to wait. I try not to draft them anymore unless there’s a guy I really like or a guy that’s considered an elite prospect like Pitts last year. It’s not even about patience it’s sometimes just hard to use the roster spot.

I got him at 4.09 and thought that was nice value.  
I thought about it there but decided on Tindall. At 5.09 on an IDP 14 team dynasty league? Yea, I am not passing on him there. I traded my 2.09 for Gesicki so I had a decent starter. I am not expecting much this year but I think he has a ton of potential. Well worth an earlier pick than 5.09. 

I wonder why people bother drafting TEs if they don’t want to wait. I try not to draft them anymore unless there’s a guy I really like or a guy that’s considered an elite prospect like Pitts last year. It’s not even about patience it’s sometimes just hard to use the roster spot.
It is 100% about the roster spot in FFPC. Patience has nothing to do with it. For me it has hinged on whether I am a contender. If I am it is almost impossible to keep a rookie TE. And I just usually don't take them at all. But at 6.04 for Woods, I can't resist. Plus if he flashes in camp who knows maybe somebody buys him from me for a 3rd. I do that all the time. If I am rebuilding (or reloading), however, I may very well be able to carry a guy like this through his rookie campaign. Which is almost always a redshirt year from a fantasy perspective. I was able to carry Andrews and Kittle in such a fashion. I suppose *that* does take patience but I was a believer. I don't feel that way about Woods just yet but again at 6.04 I have to pick somebody.

“You can feel it,” Colts head coach Frank Reich said. “Jelani is a big man. I mean, my goodness, you can just feel him when he’s out there on the field."

This is a Jelani Woods stan account.

INDIANAPOLIS – Drew Ogletree had a new experience this weekend, lining up opposite Jelani Woods at the Indianapolis Colts’ rookie mini-camp.

For the first time he can remember, the 6-foot-5 tight end wasn’t the tallest skill position player in the formation. Instead, he found himself looking up at the 6-7 Woods.

“I think it’s great,” Ogletree said Saturday at the Indiana Farm Bureau Football Center. “We’re gonna have a lot of advantages to us, a lot of mismatches we can take care of and do great things with.”

After struggling in the red zone a year ago – Indianapolis scored a touchdown on just 56.3% of its trips inside the opponent’s 20-yard line, the 20th-best rate in the league – the Colts can field a veritable basketball team this season...

-------------------------------------------------

Go to the link for the full story.

Colts signed rookie third-round TE Jelani Woods to a four-year contract. 

The team also announced the signing of third-round offensive tackle Bernhard Raimann. Woods (6'7/253) wasn't a massive producer in college, but he broke the combine by running a 4.61 forty-yard dash and 37.5-inch vertical. He will open the year behind Mo Alie-Cox on the depth chart. Woods could force a rotation at tight end if he makes some big plays early in the season, but don't expect him to be fantasy-relevant as a rookie. 

RELATED: 

Bernhard Raimann

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter

May 20, 2022, 3:18 PM ET

I’ve seen em go anywhere between picks 28-35
I took him at 25, but it's a non ppr league with short starting lineups and relatively deep rosters so a potential red zone beast is worth hanging on to and lower end wide receivers aren't as valuable.  In a start 1rb/5wr ppr league or a short bench ffpc format I would probably just pass on him altogether. 

I hate drafting tight ends and i hate drafting "raw" players who are great athletes but he checks some really important boxes - elite size and athleticism, a path to being the second best target on the team, red zone skills, good offensive line so they don't need a blocking tight end, day two draft capital and a good explanation for his late progress as a receiving tight end. No guarantees but the upside is higher than most late seconds/ early thirds 

I took him at 31. It's worth the flier given my team/league setup (sorted for at least a couple of years at the position, can place on taxi squad for 2022)

Two FFPC's I took him at 3.6 and 4.6.  Hoping for the best here.  TE's blow in the one and the other I have Pitts so might be able to sit on him.

Users who are viewing this thread