What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jerome Ford, CLE (1 Viewer)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
5'11" 210

30.4 BMI

4.46 forty 31" vertical

As a 4th year junior at Cincy he had:

215/1315/19 TDs and 21/220/1

Was a 3star recruit at Alabama and transferred to Cincy before declaring for the NFL draft this year. 

I didn't see a thread for him and am seeing him go in the 3rd round of rookie mocks. Seems like a possible sleeper at the moment. 

Missed the senior bowl for the birth of his daughter. 

Apparently had a year of eligibility at Cincy left. 22 years old.

I was really high on him until I saw his broad and vertical. Burst score plummeted with that. It's in the 19th percentile, not what you want to see out of an RB. Instead of moving up rankings, he's moving on down. 

rockaction said:
I was really high on him until I saw his broad and vertical. Burst score plummeted with that. It's in the 19th percentile, not what you want to see out of an RB. Instead of moving up rankings, he's moving on down. 
After Hall and Walker, there’s a large group of interesting RBs who can only be sorted out after we see the draft imo.

Pro Football Focus comped Cincinnati Jerome Ford to former NFL vets Jeremy Langford and Bilal Powell, amongst others.

PFF's rookie comps center around a variety of numbers including draft capital, age, size and collegiate production. Despite a relatively underwhelming cast of comps, Ford may have the opportunity to buck the career trend of some of these players. In two seasons at Cincinnati, Ford totaled 288 carries for 1,802 yards and 19 touchdowns, while also catching 29 passes for 271 yards and a score. Of the players Ford was comped to, Bilal Powell managed to enjoy a nine year career with the Jets, serving as a role player who managed to rush for over 3,600 yards and catch over 200 passes. Finding a roster to stick around on will be the first hill to climb for Ford, who has plenty to offer an NFL team.

SOURCE: PFF.com

Apr 18, 2022, 1:57 PM ET

Bilal Powell almost made it in the league, actually, IIRC. He started for some suspect Jets teams, and was a better-than-average overall role back who would have stuck longer but for a neck injury that ended his career, really. 

Bilal Powell almost made it in the league, actually, IIRC. He started for some suspect Jets teams, and was a better-than-average overall role back who would have stuck longer but for a neck injury that ended his career, really. 
I'll always remember Powell as the guy who tripped over his OL's feet, then got up and ran for a 75 yard TD because the defense all just assumed he was down. It was sort of a punchline at the time. Like, you can't take away a RBs longest run when calculating his YPC, except for Powell, you can take his away. 

As for Ford, I think he's a decent size/speed guy, but both his tape, and his underlying tests (jumps, 3-cone) make me think he's probably a #3 RB in the NFL, and probably needs to make his mark on special teams. 

Browns selected Cincinnati RB Jerome Ford with the No. 156 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ford (5'11/210) enrolled at Alabama in 2018, joining a roster that had Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris, Najee Harris, and Brian Robinson. He transferred to a less-loaded Bearcats depth chart after the 2019 season. In two years at Cincinnati, he rushed for 1,802 yards and 27 touchdowns, averaging 6.3 yards per carry. Ford only recorded eight receptions in 2020 but was much more productive in 2021 with 29 receptions for 220 yards and one score. His final season earned him a first-team All-ACC selection. Considered a speed back, Ford's Combine showing of a 4.46 40, 31-inch vertical, and 9-foot-10 broad jump was a bit of a disappointment. However, Ford showed impressive breakaway ability at Cincinnati, and he should have sufficient athleticism to translate that skill set to the NFL. He projects as committee runner or quality backup in the mold of Travis Homer or Anthony McFarland. With the Browns, he will likely be relegated to special teams reps as a rookie. If he develops well, Ford could eventually be Kareem Hunt's replacement.

Apr 30, 2022, 2:37 PM ET

Bunch of talent in the Cleveland backfield. Hunt is on the final year of his contract so Ford could get enough playing time in 2023 to be fantasy relevant. Some leagues gobble up running backs like popcorn (attrition is relevant)  but I wouln't touch him very early in rookie drafts. 

Bunch of talent in the Cleveland backfield. Hunt is on the final year of his contract so Ford could get enough playing time in 2023 to be fantasy relevant. Some leagues gobble up running backs like popcorn (attrition is relevant)  but I wouln't touch him very early in rookie drafts. 
Yeah, I picked him at 5.12 in a league where I own Chubb. Don’t see him as much more than future handcuff potential.

Footballguys daily email yesterday:

CLE - RB pick won't impact RB Kareem Hunt

Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot

Cleveland Browns RB Kareem Hunt won't see his workload impacted by 2022 fifth-round pick, RB Jerome Ford, Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com writes. Kay Cabot notes Ford 'was drafted in part to have a quality back in the pipeline' with Hunt set to hit free agency in 2023 and D'Ernest Johnson's future with the team in question.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Ford is a quality three-down back who could thrive with a larger role. He was a pick for the future with both Hunt and Johnson's contracts with the Browns up after this season. Hunt will maintain his workload as the Browns use him as a complementary back to Nick Chubb. Fantasy GMs know the flex appeal of Hunt in his current role.

Feel like things are lining up correctly for Ford. Kareem Hunt has asked for a trade and I think he will get it eventually. Hunt is a FA after this season, and I think if a team in the hunt suddenly comes up needy at RB, the Browns can probably squeeze a third-rounder for him; and, it's possible the Browns season could go south quickly with a b-teamer starting at QB for the first six games, again helping to free Hunt up in a deal.

Also, Jerome Ford is really good.

Jerome Ford is really good.
He's been flashing his receiving skills in camp by all reports.

Training Camp Observations: Day 8
- One more rookie who has had a nice camp so far? RB Jerome Ford. It's hard to fully evaluate running backs when the Browns have only had two padded practices, but Ford clearly has some elusiveness to his rushing style and can contribute as a pass-catcher, too. On one play Friday after the team moved indoors, he caught a short pass in the middle of the field and quickly bursted forward for a play that would've resulted in a nice gain.

Time for a thread title change.
Run, don't walk to the waiver wire to grab and stash this guy.
He looked really good. Over 100 combined yards with scores on the ground and air. Flashed speed that I didn't know he possessed and lateral jump-cuts with explosion.
He's going to get lots of looks during the preseason. If he keeps it up, his value will go through the roof but more than likely he won't get a shot unless its due to injury this year.
Hunt's contract makes him a long-term dynasty play for next year IMHO.

Rookie Jerome Ford provides first half highlights for Browns offense

Yeah I sure would like to see the Browns move Hunt so I can have a tougher decision on this guy in FFPC cutdowns. He isn't likely to make it but maybe I can snag a 3rd or 4th.

Yeah I sure would like to see the Browns move Hunt so I can have a tougher decision on this guy in FFPC cutdowns. He isn't likely to make it but maybe I can snag a 3rd or 4th.
I don't expect that to happen, but if it does it still doesn't necessarily open the door for Ford. I liked what I saw from Ford, but Johnson has also earned opportunity, and there still some love for Felton in the clubhouse.

Cleveland will have to make some really big decisions moving forward and when you pay $230M for Watson all guaranteed then there is no way you are paying Hunt. The Browns are looking to just take a pass on 2022, right? Watson could go 12 games to a full season but either of those scenarios will torpedo this team and Hunt won't be of a lot of value so I would move him for whatever you can right now...3rd-4th-5th just move him because you will not get anything for him later on and you're not extending him a new contract. As I recall the Browns' GM was the former KC GM who drafted Hunt and watched him ruin his career and then gave him a chance to try and right the ship in Cleveland. He has been a 2nd fiddle and likely can still start somewhere for a year or two, what's that worth?

I also think the Browns should possibly look at moving Chubb sooner or later and start going with impact rookies like Ford and have a guy already like Johnson. Those 2 alone might be better than many other teams in their RB stables. You gotta cut costs at different places when you are paying North of $40M a year at QB, it's hard to field a balanced team.

Go Ford Go!

The Browns traded for KR Jakeem Grant, but he was lost for the year before the season began.
Before Ford got injured, he assumed the primary KR duties.
After Ford was placed on IR the Browns made no moves to fill his RB spot on the roster but signed a WR/KR to return kickoffs.
IF Hunt gets traded that would leave the Browns short one RB.
Ford is eligible to come off of IR next week.
IF Hunt gets traded that would leave RB D'Ernest Johnson as the 'primary' backup but D'Ernest is a FA after this season.
That would leave only Nick Chubb and Jerome Ford on the roster heading into next season.
I don't have any updates on where Ford is in recovering from his ankle injury however IF Hunt gets traded and IF he's healthy then things would line up nicely for him.
Even if Hunt doesn't get traded, and if he remains on IR he's a nice sleeper to pick up and stash on IR for next year.

Expecting good things from this kid going into next year. Hunt carved out a nice role behind Chubb and no reason Ford can't do the same. I think he showed his talent in preseason.

A sneaky good investment IMO long term. And how much longer can Chubb keep this up?

Expecting good things from this kid going into next year. Hunt carved out a nice role behind Chubb and no reason Ford can't do the same. I think he showed his talent in preseason.

A sneaky good investment IMO long term. And how much longer can Chubb keep this up?
Hunt was a Pro Bowl RB, Ford is an athletic 5th round pick. Him being anything close to Hunt would be a surprise.

I think its likely they add a RB in the draft, or possibly FA with how saturated the market is, possibly even re-signing Hunt.

I ultimately chose Ty Chandler over Ford as my offseason RB stash, but Ford is on the short list of available FAs I wish I could tuck away.

Why I went with Chandler?
  • Ty also had an impressive pre-season.
  • Dalvin Cook might beat Chubb out the door.
  • Like Hunt, I'm pretty sure the RB2 is gone this offseason.
  • Not a lot of Vikings draft picks to play with this year.
  • The new regime really needs a win in the '22 draft after a shaky first year

Both backs need a lot to fall their way for any path to relevance in 2023. However, they're worth stashing for the summer just to see what happens.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said he was "very encouraged" by Jerome Ford and said "he is capable" of earning the No. 2 running back role.​

The Browns enter the offseason with Kareem Hunt and D'Ernest Johnson entering free agency. ESPN's Jake Trotter believes the Browns will turn to Ford as the main back behind Chubb, though admits it's still possible they draft a running back in the middle rounds. Ford looks like the clear No. 2 in the backfield for the moment.
SOURCE: ESPN
Mar 3, 2023, 3:34 PM ET

The Athletic's Zac Jackson writes that the plan for Jerome Ford is "to let Ford show he’s ready for whatever action Chubb doesn’t take."

Ford appears to have been outright given the No. 2 job behind Chubb this offseason despite a fairly quiet 2022 season. What remains to be seen is how much of the pass-catching workload he'll take as compared to Chubb -- Ford is not exactly guaranteed to reprise Kareem Hunt's role, and Chubb could get more snaps and targets than he usually has. Ford didn't have a target in his 14 offensive snaps last year, but all of his run came in blowouts so that's not exactly a surprise.
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 18, 2023 at 2:18 PM ET

^^^that's a nice value. If he's there at the 3.12 in my 1QB, he's definitely a consideration.

Funny, it's one year later and I find myself in the exact same situation in this 1QB league's rookie/free agent draft. Had room for one offseason stash and I chose Ty Chandler. Based on the Vikings selecting McBride in the 6th and the Browns doing absolutely nothing, I would probably take a do-over. Then again, nothing says the Browns won't add someone.

Have a pick at the top and end of the 3rd round. I don't think I would do Ford at 3.1. I think I would take another free agent, Rashaad Penny ahead of him. I also think I would take Zach Evans and Sean Tucker based on higher upside.

Ford is probably a debate with Chase Brown, Abanikanda, McBride, Gray, and Malik Davis if the Cowboys don't add. Open to all of these guys at the end of the 3rd.

Jake Burns
@jake_burns18
Feel fairly confident that we are sleeping on Jerome Ford too much (myself included at times).
If they drafted him this year, people would be really excited.

Jerome Ford Set To Get His Chance In Cleveland Browns Backfield
...With Ford, the Browns will aim to replicate many of the snaps we saw last year from Hunt. Those snaps were not regulated to only third downs but he was the primary focus player whenever the Browns went into predictable passing situations. While Ford didn't get the opportunity to put up gaudy receiving numbers in college he proved to be more than capable as a pass catcher who could produce after the reception...

Go to the link for the full read complete with film breakdown of Jerome Ford.

Last edited:
I took Ford in a number of rookie/FA drafts this month but it was more like 4th/5th/6th rounds.
I drafted a couple weeks ago and grabbed Ford mid 3rd round in 2 Dynasty leagues. Even at that I think it's good value. There's not much left at that point in a 12 Team league.

He's probably looking at a decent amount of touches and if Chubb goes down you'll have an immediate RB1. He's a must get IMO.

The Athletic's Zac Jackson believes RB Jerome Ford "appears headed for a much larger role this season."​

Ford, according to Jackson, impressed the team's decision makers as a rookie in 2022, functioning mostly as a kicker returner as Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt shared the Cleveland backfield. Hunt is not expected back with the Browns, potentially putting Ford in the RB2 role behind Chubb to start the season. Head coach Kevin Stefanski in March said Ford is capable of working as the team's No. 2 back this season, and the second-year RB functioned as the top backfield option in OTAs this week with Chubb sidelined. Ford, 23, profiles as a reasonable late-round pick for Zero RB drafters this summer.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 25, 2023, 12:25 PM ET

Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot believes the Browns will add another running back before the season, but not a "big-name back" such as Dalvin Cook or Ezekiel Elliott.

Cabot instead projects the Browns to add "a potential No. 3 back behind Nick Chubb and Jerome Ford who can serve as a solid No. 2 in the event of injury." This is great news for Ford, who essentially is unchallenged for the No. 2 role despite showing little in his first season on the field. It's also great news for Nick Chubb, who could push his usage rate to career-high levels if Ford doesn't show he's ready for much work.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Cleveland.com
Jun 18, 2023 at 1:08 PM ET

JEROME FORD INJURED MONDAY
by Keith Hernandez

Cleveland Browns running back Jerome Ford (hamstring) left Monday's training camp practice with a hamstring injury. It's unclear as of right now how serious Ford's injury is, so until we know more, consider the 23-year-old to be day-to-day at camp. When healthy, he's expected to serve as Nick Chubb's primary backup in 2023, giving him fantasy value at least as a handcuff to Chubb. The fifth-rounder didn't see much action on offense in his rookie campaign in 2022, but that will change this year as long as he's healthy. If this hamstring injury jeopardizes his availability for the start of the regular season, Demetric Felton Jr. and John Kelly Jr. would see more offensive snaps behind Chubb.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said RB Jerome Ford (hamstring) is “week to week.”
Stefanski also said he is hopeful Ford will be ready for Week 1 but couldn’t add anything beyond that. Ford’s status for Cleveland’s opener remains in doubt, but there is at least a chance he is able to suit up. The second-year back went down in practice earlier this week and needed helped off the field. In his absence, John Kelly and Demtric Felton are set to see more work, though the Browns also hosted Jordan Wilkins for a workout this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread