What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stanley Kubrick: Director Hall of Fame **VOTE HERE** (1 Viewer)

What movie should Kubrick go into the Movie HOF with?

• Eyes Wide Shut

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • The Shining

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Barry Lyndon

• A Clockwork Orange

• 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • Lolita

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spartacus

• Paths of Glory

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • The Killing

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Dr. Strangelove...

• Total voters

Ilov80s

Footballguy
So I was thinking when athletes enter the HOF, they have to pick the team they will go in for. Randy Johnson, Mariners or Diamondbacks? Gretzky, Oilers or Kings? Deion, Falcons or Cowboys?

What if directors were entered into the Movie Hall of Fame and had to choose 1 movie to represent them. Look at it however you want: best movie, most successful movie, breakout movie that put them on the map, etc. It's however you see the director best represented.

With Oscar nominations coming out today and them being less and less relevant, let's honor one of the great directors to have never won a directing Oscar: Stanley Kubrick. 

Rd1:  Jaws for Spielberg (50%)

Rd 2: Alien for Ridley Scott (43%)

Rd 3: Psycho for Hitchcock (44%) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicole Kidman is sooo yummy but even she couldn't save Eyes Wide Shut. I'm thinking 2001: A Space Odyssey is probably his greatest job directing even though Full Metal Jacket is one of my goto movies.

For me by far the toughest one yet.   The main reason being one of the reasons I think he is one of the best ever - it's a scattershot of genres that he excelled at.    I will think about this more, but my gut is telling me it's down to 2001 and Clockwork.  

The author of A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess, absolutely hated the movie because it tended to glorify Alex by leaving out the entire last chapter of the book. I figure people that see Alex as some sort of anti-hero ought know [spoiler alert!] that the story ends with him reaching the age of twenty-one, growing up, and finding out that the Droogs had become cops. 

And I honestly don't think I've watched many Kubrick films all the way through. I've seen them in bits and pieces. That might be a huge red flag to how I see him as a director. I'm surprised, actually. Most of his movies I've turned off for one reason or another, even back when my attention span was something other than the tattered and frayed mess it is now. The only one I can say I've made it through and watched multiple times is A Clockwork Orange

2001 - turned off as a college student, Hal
Lolita - turned off
Eyes Wide Shut - turned off
The Shining - yawn turned off
Full Metal Jacket - this is my rifle I just used it to shoot the television off
Spartacus - forced to watch in high school
Dr. Strangelove - watched once or twice really high and drunk

The author of A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess, absolutely hated the movie because it tended to glorify Alex by leaving out the entire last chapter of the book. I figure people that see Alex as some sort of anti-hero ought know [spoiler alert!] that the story ends with him reaching the age of twenty-one, growing up, and finding out that the Droogs had become cops. 
That is one of those things where I have heard contradictory things. 

Supposedly King hated The Shining too.  

For me by far the toughest one yet.   The main reason being one of the reasons I think he is one of the best ever - it's a scattershot of genres that he excelled at.    I will think about this more, but my gut is telling me it's down to 2001 and Clockwork.  
I agree with all of this except best ever - I’m just not a fan of most of his stuff.  Went with The Killing.

ETA - dammit.  I forgot we aren’t voting out favorite.  Pretend like I voted for 2001.

That is one of those things where I have heard contradictory things. 

I could see that -- how people would report different things -- but I don't think it's really contradictory considering he wrote a long preface to one of the later editions of his book, IIRC. Claimed it wasn't because the rape scene was about his wife, but about the lopping off of the last chapter. He said it gave the movie an entire different meaning than the book was supposed to convey. That young, wild men can grow up. That they are redeemable (presumably through Christ, since Burgess was religious). Or was that Graham Greene I'm thinking of that was religious? Anyway, memory can be faulty, but I'm pretty sure he wrote that in a preface. Take it with a grain of salt, though, as I've been sure of things before. 

Anyway, I don't want to detract from the thread. Back to Kubrick! A worthy HoF director just on people's appraisals of his movies alone. 

I could see that -- how people would report different things -- but I don't think it's really contradictory considering he wrote a long preface to one of the later editions of his book, IIRC. Claimed it wasn't because the rape scene was about his wife, but about the lopping off of the last chapter. He said it gave the movie an entire different meaning than the book was supposed to convey. That young, wild men can grow up. That they are redeemable (presumably through Christ, since Burgess was religious). Or was that Graham Greene I'm thinking of that was religious? Anyway, memory can be faulty, but I'm pretty sure he wrote that in a preface. Take it with a grain of salt, though, as I've been sure of things before. 
Not sure about Burgess but Graham Greene was more Catholic than the Pope (at least in his writing).

Dr. Strangelove for me.

My second pick would probably be Paths of Glory. Not his most popular one (which is why hard to put him in the HOF for it), but the one I’ve rewatched the most. So many scenes that I love in that movie.

Went with 2001 but Full Metal Jacket is my favorite 

Still have never seen Barry Lyndon despite owning it on DVD (part of the box set).  Don’t believe I have seen The Killing or Paths of Glory either.  Probably should crack down and watch them all at some point

Probably because it was nothing like his book. The remake miniseries many years later was much more faithful.

I love Kubrick’s movie version - probably the scariest horror movie of all time IMO (and I’m a big fan of the genre). But when I think Kubrick, I first think 2001 and thus voted for that.  

Almost as overrated as Scorcese. Not that I don't like Kubrick movies more - I do - but he's given way more credit than he's due.

IMO the answer here is 2001. I find it pretty tedious. But it's a technical marvel.
Yes, Kubrick is probably the most technically talented director ever. There is more to directing than the technical side though so I can understand why he rubs some people the wrong way. 

Voted for Dr. Strangelove because it's a film that only Kubrick could have made.  Comedies even one that's this black will always get the short end when it comes to honoring directors.

Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon would get my other podium spots although I'm probably out on a limb with the latter. (I guess it's better to be out on a limb with a ladder)

Went with Clockwork. It's my favorite, most likely due to young Bogart seeing it at the right time and place in his life. I watch so many things now with my phone or iPad in hand, but I can still turn on Clockwork late at night and it's like watching a favorite painting and I just get lost in what Alex and his droogs are up to. Typically I don't have to finish it, but enjoy every minute.

And I honestly don't think I've watched many Kubrick films all the way through. I've seen them in bits and pieces. That might be a huge red flag to how I see him as a director. I'm surprised, actually. Most of his movies I've turned off for one reason or another, even back when my attention span was something other than the tattered and frayed mess it is now. The only one I can say I've made it through and watched multiple times is A Clockwork Orange

2001 - turned off as a college student, Hal
Lolita - turned off
Eyes Wide Shut - turned off
The Shining - yawn turned off
Full Metal Jacket - this is my rifle I just used it to shoot the television off
Spartacus - forced to watch in high school
Dr. Strangelove - watched once or twice really high and drunk

You'd love Barry Lyndon

Barry Lyndon would get my other podium spots although I'm probably out on a limb with the latter. (I guess it's better to be out on a limb with a ladder)
Ryan O'Neal believes Barry Lyndon derailed his career. He had been on a pretty good run with Love StoryWhat's Up Doc? and Paper Moon. Barry Lyndon was a dud that stopped a momentum he never quite found again. O'Neal says Kubrick's fascination with the visuals rather than the storyline made the film dull and ponderous. 

Burgess wrote a Foreword to a later American printing of the novel.  His complaints are not apocryphal.
Yeah, this is what I read, actually. The foreword. He talks about sevens, for some reason. How the book is broken up into three sections of seven, maybe? Something like that. But I remember him saying that 21 is the age of maturity in modern Western culture. I had forgotten until I looked it up that the American version of the novel at the time the movie was in production had twenty chapters only, and Kubrick wasn't going to change it and didn't like the 21st chapter, anyway. Much like the American editor, he found Alex's abrupt maturity unbelievable. Perhaps Burgess could have fleshed out the ending more -- he wrote the book in only three weeks.  

Voted for Dr. Strangelove because it's a film that only Kubrick could have made.  Comedies even one that's this black will always get the short end when it comes to honoring directors.

Paths of Glory and Barry Lyndon would get my other podium spots although I'm probably out on a limb with the latter. (I guess it's better to be out on a limb with a ladder)
Love Barry Lyndon. To me it’s hard to find a more beautiful film cinematically. And Kubrick broke new ground technically filming it. Was my second choice after Dr. Strangelove.

Love Kubrick, probably my second favorite director after Lean as I prefer directors who pay extreme attention to detail.  Pretty much love everything he's ever done.  My personal favorite is probably Dr. Strangelove, but I don't think that is necessarily his strongest directing performance.  I can definitely see the appeal to vote for 2001, but not for me.  I really enjoy Full Metal Jacket, but the second act falls a bit short to make the final list.  For me:

Bronze - Clockwork Orange.  A bit of a difficult watch, but did a really good job showing a future, dystopian society.  The social castes, the disgruntled youths, interesting use of music, was made in 1971 would be tough to replicate today.

Silver - Barry Lyndon.  I can totally understand someone finding this one a slog, a bore and turning off midway.  It's a period piece of which I'm not particularly fond.  The "hero" is not even very likeable at times.  But if you delve into the lengths Kubrick took to keep true to the period from the costumes, the lighting et al, it's really a pretty remarkable film.   It's kind of a piece of art moreso than a movie.  I think I liked it more after I read a bit about it tbh.

Gold - The Shining.  This one just works best for me.  The haunting score, the visuals, the themes, the acting.  To me, it's just the most complete movie without having parts that drag on.

Some will point to the assassinations of the 60s, Watergate, greed of the 80s, trials of the 90s, 9/11, bratification of the teens as the turning point in the end of American Empire.  For this observer, it might just be when Terry Southern and Stanley Kubrick figured out how the Miracle would begin to fold over on itself. 

My appreciation for The Shining increases every time I watch it.

Having said that, I also wonder if it wouldn't have been better, for the movie, if a) Danny didn't have The Shine at all and therefore b) we wouldn't have to sit through **** Halloran's slogging back to the hotel only to be unceremoniously killed the moment he arrives. 

As an aside and with nothing to do with Kubrick...Doctor Sleep is a pretty good movie. Haven't read the book.

I thought he sees one of his former Droogs pushing a baby carriage down the street and realizes he needs to grow up as well - but yes either way the movie ends glorifying Alex's return to violence while the book did not.

Hello?... Uh... Hello D- uh hello Dmitri? Listen uh uh I can't hear too well. Do you suppose you could turn the music down just a little? … Oh-ho, that's much better... yeah... huh... yes... Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb... The bomb, Dmitri... The hydrogen bomb!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you imagine how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... Of course I like to speak to you!... Of course I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a friendly call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... They will not reach their targets for at least another hour... I am... I am positive, Dmitri... Listen, I've been all over this with your ambassador. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you. We'd like to give your air staff a complete run-down on the targets, the flight plans, and the defensive systems of the planes... Yes! I mean i-i-i-if we're unable to recall the planes, then... I'd say that, ah... well, ah... we're just gonna have to help you destroy them, Dmitri... I know they're our boys... All right, well listen now. Who should we call?... Who should we call, Dmitri? The... wha-whe, the People... you, sorry, you faded away there... The People's Central Air Defense Headquarters... Where is that, Dmitri?... In Omsk... Right... Yes... Oh, you'll call them first, will you?... Uh-huh... Listen, do you happen to have the phone number on you, Dmitri?... Whe-ah, what? I see, just ask for Omsk information... Ah-ah-eh-uhm-hm... I'm sorry, too, Dmitri... I'm very sorry... All right, you're sorrier than I am, but I am as sorry as well... I am as sorry as you are, Dmitri! Don't say that you're more sorry than I am, because I'm capable of being just as sorry as you are... So we're both sorry, all right?... All right.
The greatest coup Kubrick ever performed was naming a character Merkin Muffley. 

I voted 2001, but I've never seen Dr. Strangelove.

I keep trying to find it for free on Amazon Prime or Netflix, but may just have to pay for it on Amazon at some point.

My appreciation for The Shining increases every time I watch it.

Having said that, I also wonder if it wouldn't have been better, for the movie, if a) Danny didn't have The Shine at all and therefore b) we wouldn't have to sit through **** Halloran's slogging back to the hotel only to be unceremoniously killed the moment he arrives. 

As an aside and with nothing to do with Kubrick...Doctor Sleep is a pretty good movie. Haven't read the book.
I wanted to vote The Shining, since it is my favorite of Kubrick’s movies.  Depending on how you look at it, it is my favorite or most unfavorite horror movie to this day.   It is creepy and makes me uneasy every time I watch it.  I voted for Full Metal Jacket over 2001.  Those seem like his best work.   

Can we talk about the hate for the 2nd 1/2 of Full Metal Jacket?   I love the movie, and it's my favorite Kubrick, but the most common complaint I seem to come across is the movie is bad after we get to Vietnam.    I find it every bit as quotable and unsettling.  

I thought he sees one of his former Droogs pushing a baby carriage down the street and realizes he needs to grow up as well - but yes either way the movie ends glorifying Alex's return to violence while the book did not.
Yeah, I think he does. That sounds right. 

When Kubrick wrote the screenplay, the last chapter where Alex is redeemed wasn’t published. It wasn’t part of the original book. The last chapter wasn’t published until the 80s.
In America. Kubrick was aware of the British version and went ahead anyway. Burgess called it a "misdemeanor." 

Users who are viewing this thread