What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
North Dakota WR Christian Watson has made some impressive plays for the National Team during Tuesday's Senior Bowl practice session.

Watson (6'4/211) has been the favorite target of Kenny Pickett in the early going, making multiple catches in 11-on-11 drills, including a nice grab across the middle where he had to reach back to reel in an off-target throw. He also excelled in 1-on-1's and showed advanced receiving acumen on a few contested sideline routes. Watson had recorded an official 4.4 40-yard dash during his initial recruitment phase, so he should back up his on field prowess in testing. In his college career, Watson caught 43 passes for 800 yards and seven touchdowns while also rushing 15 times for 114 yards, 7.6 YPC and a touchdown on the ground. He will be a player to watch as the Senior Bowl week unfolds.

SOURCE: Cole Thompson on Twitter

Feb 1, 2022, 2:30 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know. He's definitely going undrafted. He's really lanky and tall. Doesn't really have the stats production from a smaller school you'd like to see that becomes productive in the NFL (ala Cooper Kupp/Adam Thielen)

I don't really know. He's definitely going undrafted. He's really lanky and tall. Doesn't really have the stats production from a smaller school you'd like to see that becomes productive in the NFL (ala Cooper Kupp/Adam Thielen)
Undrafted? Brett Kollmann thinks he is going to a lot higher than people think. He has Watson as a 1st round pick!

As for the low raw numbers, that has to come with the context of a run heavy offense. One one hand, Watson only had 43/800/7. On the other hand, the team only completed 159 passes for 2200 and 20. That's an extremely high share of a college offense. I wouldn't rule him out just off the production. 

Day 3 almost guaranteed. But he has some talent for sure. I saw one analyst compare him to Randy Moss with that long body strider speed type of WR. Stylistically it makes some sense. 

If you're talking about rookie draft I have him at #35 overall so late 3rd type of value

Day 3 almost guaranteed. But he has some talent for sure. I saw one analyst compare him to Randy Moss with that long body strider speed type of WR. Stylistically it makes some sense. 

If you're talking about rookie draft I have him at #35 overall so late 3rd type of value
I'm not so sure about that.  I believe we may see Watson selected on Day 2.  He has been rapidly ascending my dynasty rookie draft board.  He looks like the real deal.

I just watched a podcast and Katie Flower (known as Diva Devy and is in one of my leagues) who was at the Senior Bowl said he wasn't a natural hands catcher when the ball was in front of him or close to his body.  She said he did fine pulling the ball in from outside his body.  He seemed to fight the ball some.

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout·12h

Love the potential Watson brings to the table. Don’t see many 6’4” receivers running 21 mph and getting handoffs from the backfield. Offensive weapon.

----------------------------

Jim Nagy@JimNagy_SB · 15h

This isn’t normal body twitch and lateral COD from a 6-4 wideout. Such an easy fluid recovery too. Reps like this are why @NDSUfootball WR Christian Watson’s stock is rising coming out of Senior Bowl week. 🕹📈
#BestoftheBest
#TheDraftStartsInMOBILE™️

LINK video clip

I just watched a podcast and Katie Flower (known as Diva Devy and is in one of my leagues) who was at the Senior Bowl said he wasn't a natural hands catcher when the ball was in front of him or close to his body.  She said he did fine pulling the ball in from outside his body.  He seemed to fight the ball some.
Great observation.  Watson is an athletic, size-speed marvel, and his lack of route-running chops can be overcome with good coaching and perseverance, but natural hands are just that, natural.  Watson can spend time on a jugs machine and improve his hands, for certain, but he is likely never going to have the soft mitts of a Chris Olave or the strong, violent hands of a George Pickens.  That is not a death knell for Watson's success in the NFL, however.  Few possess those types of traits.  I do not see Watson's hands as a liability.

Former North Dakota State WR Christian Watson has a chance to improve his draft stock at the upcoming NFL Scouting Combine following a strong Senior Bowl.

Watson (6'5/208), who was already a well-known receiver out of FCS North Dakota State, further established himself as a top-talent at the Senior Bowl, and was working with the first team during the Senior Bowl practices. He caught just one pass for 38 yards in the actual game, but the field stretcher who averaged 20.6 yards per reception during his career could add to his pre-draft hype at the combine. As a high schooler, Watson ran a 4.4 40-yard dash, and is expected to run close to that time, if not faster in what is often viewed as the top event at the combine. In a deep wide receiver class, Watson can further push his way to the top with a strong combine in Indy.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 20, 2022, 4:32 PM ET

North Dakota State WR Christian Watson had great measurements ahead of combine testing.

Watson is the latest size-speed athletic freak type prospect to come through the draft, and these guys really make their name at the Combine. So far, the measurement part went well, with Watson clocking in at 6'4", 208 and 10 1/8 hands. He's a big guy, and he's expected to run in the low 4.4s. If he does that or lower, his draft stock will rise dramatically. Be sure to keep an eye on his results. 

SOURCE: Ben Glassmire on Twitter

Mar 3, 2022, 2:47 PM ET

North Dakota State WR Christian Watson jumped 11'4" in the broad jump at the combine on Thursday.

After having a tremendous week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, Watson (6'4/208) is putting on a show in Indianapolis so far and it started with him jumping out of the gym. Watson bested the previous high mark of 11'3" of Calvin Austin III by just an inch, but he did so a whopping nine inches taller. With the vertical and 40-yard dash still to go, Watson is on pace to raise his draft stock even more.

SOURCE: Evan Lazar

Mar 3, 2022, 7:06 PM ET

North Dakota State WR Christian Watson ran a 4.28 40-yard dash on his first attempt.

Watson (6'4/208) has drawn some comparisons to Deebo Samuel with how the Bison used him throughout his college career. During combine interviews, Watson echoed that sentiment, but he took the athletic testing to a level that we haven't seen in some time. Kent Lee Platte, who created the relative athletic score (RAS), has him (unofficially) in the 100th percentile, behind only Calvin Johnson. A 4.28 40-yard dash for a big-bodied receiver that can dip his hips when running his routes is something that you would create in a lab and Watson has it. Throughout the process, Watson has seen his stock skyrocket to a point where he likely goes in the top-40.

SOURCE: Kent Lee Platte

Mar 3, 2022, 8:44 PM ET

11'4" Broad - Top of all WR's/TE's

38.5" Vertical - 6th overall

ugh, had this guy at the top of my sleeper list for awhile now, cat's out of the bag now

NDSU WR Christian Watson's closest comparison from prior drafts is former Ole Miss WR Donte Moncrief per Mock Draftable.

The comparison between Watson (6'4/208) and Moncrief is an interesting one. They differ a little bit in size, but the athletic profiles are really close. Watson was slightly better in the 10-yard split (1.46 to 1.5) and the 40-yard dash (4.36 to 4.4). On the flip side, Moncrief bested him slightly in the vertical jump (39.5 to 38.5) but couldn't quite best him in the broad jump (132" to 136"). Playstyles are similar but Watson is much more of a dynamic threat down the field.

SOURCE: Mock Draftable

Mar 16, 2022, 12:39 AM ET

North Dakota State WR Christian Watson was put through WR drills by Houston, New Orleans, Philadelphia and the New York Giants at the NDSU Pro Day.

Watson (6'4"/208) has been this years draft process killer, doing extremely well at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Combine. While his 40 time wasn't as ridiculous as once thought, his official 4.36 at his size is still bonkers. He was put through his paces by a number of WR needy teams, and a few mock drafts have even slated Watson in the first round due to his mouthwatering physical traits. The Eagles in particular still need WR help and have three picks in the first round, which might make them a good fit. Watson has had a fantastic pre-draft season, and should be rewarded with a top-50 selection even if he doesn't sneak into the first round. 

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Mar 24, 2022, 2:05 PM ET

Former Bison receiver Christian Watson tries to 'stay away' from the NFL Draft 1st-round projection chatter

Excerpt:

Watson earned a max-99 athleticism score at the Combine, according to the “Next Gen Stats” draft model. Watson did select testing during NDSU’s pro day along with on-field work. He let some of the numbers he posted at the Combine stand, including his 40-yard time of 4.36 seconds.

“It was definitely a number that I was happy with,” Watson said. “I was a little bit disappointed (with) the time. I had run faster in training, but I was happy with it. … Once I get out there and I’m able to compete and get the opportunity to play in the NFL, I think the speed will show itself regardless of what the 40 time was.”

Watson did 18 reps at 225 pounds in the bench press on Thursday, something he didn’t test in at the Combine.

“Coming out here and being able to get a smooth 18 was definitely exciting for me,” said Watson, was clocked at 6.96 seconds in the three-cone drill and 4.19 seconds in the shuttle Thursday.

Jim Nagy, the executive director of the Senior Bowl, projected Watson to be a lock for a top-50 selection in the upcoming NFL Draft. Nagy added wide receiver coaches from Houston, New Orleans, the New York Giants and Philadelphia were among the representatives at NDSU’s pro day working with Watson during position drills.

The Draft Network's Ryan Fowler believes that North Dakota State's Christian Watson is a great fit for the Green Bay Packers.

The Packers have a dire need at receiver and Watson (6'4/208) fits their profile in what they like in a receiver. They prioritize size and speed and Watson has both of those. His athleticism is elite for his position, ranking above the 99th percentile in RAS. Having lost both Davante Adams and Marques Valdez-Scantling, adding Watson would be a great step towards rebuilding that wide receiver room.

SOURCE: The Draft Network

Apr 4, 2022, 10:19 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, North Dakota State's Christian Watson is the best non-FBS prospect in the draft.

Watson (6'4/208) is not only one of the best offensive players you might not have heard of but one of the best overall prospects in the non-FBS. The BIson receiver was dynamic at the combine posting a 4.36 40 time and a RAS score of 9.96. He's fast, but he has the route-running abilities to create separation. He also has the size and speed to play set up in the X, Y, or Z position, and can even run out of the backfield. A few people believe that there are some Deebo Samuel qualities in him.

SOURCE: PFF

Apr 10, 2022, 3:37 PM ET

A four year player who turns 23 in a month, didn't breakout until his age 21 season at North Dakota St.  Regardless of his combine numbers, he's a skinny 6'4" and he's a big risk in dynasty drafts in the late 1st, or even early 2nd IMO.  Now if you can get him later that is fine, but I won't be drafting him early in dynasty drafts.  I put a lot of emphasis on breakout age and to some degree level of competition.  Especially combining the two.

A four year player who turns 23 in a month, didn't breakout until his age 21 season at North Dakota St.  Regardless of his combine numbers, he's a skinny 6'4" and he's a big risk in dynasty drafts in the late 1st, or even early 2nd IMO.  Now if you can get him later that is fine, but I won't be drafting him early in dynasty drafts.  I put a lot of emphasis on breakout age and to some degree level of competition.  Especially combining the two.
I've seen some links to his drops %... it has me spooked.

NDSU WR Christian Watson has a 9.96 Relative Athletic Score, making him the 12th most athletic WR in the last 35 years.

This is essentially confirming what we already knew about Watson (6'4"/208), who is an absolute size-speed freak. He has elite size, speed and explosion, with more middling agility scores. Sounds similar to D.K. Metcalf, who has grown into one of the best WRs in the NFL. Watson is nearing "first round lock" status with his ridiculous measurables, and you can't really fault that despite being from a smaller school in NDSU.

SOURCE: Kent Lee Platte on Twitter

Apr 13, 2022, 11:39 AM ET

He's a first round lock probably according to the latest Faust blurb on him

He's a first round lock probably according to the latest Faust blurb on him
Reagor, Jeudy, and Ruggs were first-rounders. Now, Jeudy has retained value, but nobody can tell me he's done what one expected him to do given how highly he was drafted in rookie drafts that year. First-round draft capital only means so much. Gotta play. Gotta produce. Watson is a guy I want to root for. I really do. But he's got red flags from even the guys who claim they specialize in watching film. The stats don't like him. The level of competition is suspect. The film grinders don't like him. He's a combine baby. 

Gives me major pause, though I'd take him at 2.2 if he fell that far in a rookie. Or I'd trade the pick for somebody who is a little devalued. 

Users who are viewing this thread